• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrow Season 4 |OT| A Tale of Salt and Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Platy

I want hippie Oliver. It's what really separates him from Batman, and why he becomes the perfect odd couple with Hal who will inevitably be showing up this season.

Cw will not have a hippie main character =/

But we can have bearded Green Arrow without being a hippie....this show's first minutes (Arrow to light the fire on the beach) was the best looking Green Arrow they had

TheOddOne

- IGN: Arrow Showrunner On Season 4, Introducing Damien Darhk, "Green Arrow" And More Humor.
IGN: Emily [Bett Rickards] has talked about the fact that she didn’t love that Felicity was in more of a morose, frequently crying place last season, and some fans shared that opinion. What is your approach with Felicity in Season 4? With Oliver and Felicity together and Oliver happier, is there a happier vibe for Felicity in general?

Mericle: There is. We hear that and it’s interesting to get that feedback and I know Emily had the same -- we’ve talked about it. The thing that I’ll say is sometimes your characters, like anybody in life, go through crucibles and you come out and now she’s in a very happy place with Oliver. She too is reenergized and excited and in love. Whereas with Oliver, it’s a new thing for him, it’s sort of bringing us back to the first two seasons of Felicity, where she’s not in that headspace where she’s upset or worried all the time. She’s happy. She’s enjoying life and she’s excited about whatever the future is going to bring.

Johndoey

Banned
Killing felicity would be dumb because it would make ollie's love life a center plot point again. Leave oliver and felicity as a happy couple for a season or two so hopefully other things can be focused on. Please.
If they iced Felicity she would be resurrected and then we would be stuck with Evil! Felicity for a while, and nobody wants that.

It seems my post was eaten! Oh well!

Oh fuck super hippie Green Arrow don't get me wrong, but Oliver Queen is still barely a character. We've got a guy who's Star City royalty with big connections, sway and family/Palmer/Merlyn money and he's spent the last two seasons in the hideout. Comes back to Barry's lines from the crossover...

tumblr_inline_ng3hgqNrB11shrb8p.gif
tumblr_inline_ng3hh2UjmN1shrb8p.gif

Looks like they're trying to fix that a bit with the political plot and the Green Arrow identity but it's still half measures. Ray was actively trying to help the city as both the ATOM and his civilian identity but Oliver still pretty much just defaults to the Arrow for everything.

The juxtaposition between Ray and Oliver would have worked a lot better if the Felicity love triangle wasn't a huge distraction.
Thank you for your kind and detailed response!

I really really love the episode when Blood (who is my favorite villain of the series so far) and Ollie plan a charity event and Ollie had Arrow duties to attend to and he had to choose how he would fix the city on his own. I thought it was a very interesting scenario and enjoyed how it played out. I would enjoy seeing more Ollie doing good out of costume, but I'm more than happy with how it is now.

And I liked the ATOM and Arrow juxtaposition a lot, including the love triangle! I look forward to how it'll play out in Season 4 and Legends of Tomorrow!

quesalupa

Mericle: There is. We hear that and it’s interesting to get that feedback and I know Emily had the same -- we’ve talked about it. The thing that I’ll say is sometimes your characters, like anybody in life, go through crucibles and you come out and now she’s in a very happy place with Oliver. She too is reenergized and excited and in love. Whereas with Oliver, it’s a new thing for him, it’s sort of bringing us back to the first two seasons of Felicity , where she’s not in that headspace where she’s upset or worried all the time. She’s happy. She’s enjoying life and she’s excited about whatever the future is going to bring.
Can we change the thread title back?

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
MOqAti7.jpg

Amazing thread title and OP as usual. Less brooding and more humor please!

Blader

I didn't dislike S3 to the extent most people did, and did like a fair amount about it, but they fucked up Ollie and Felicity so bad. It's not even just their relationship melodrama but that Felicity was unbearable to watch (I haven't done a tally but I think she cried in literally every episode) and Ollie was always wrong. It's hard to get behind a hero whose every plan and decision is constantly the wrong choice. It's why in some way S1 is still my favorite -- Ollie was an intimidating, self-assured, get-shit-done guy, and I haven't had that sense of him consistently for a while now.

DeathyBoy

Banned
To be fair to Ollie, after S1 his best friend died, his mother died, his island best friend Ollie killed returned and went crazy, his best friends evil Dad returned and tricked his sister into killing the sister of his ex girlfriend, and then he was kicked off a fucking mountain by Ray Ghoul.

Dude had the CW equivalent of two gas leak years.

I didn't dislike S3 to the extent most people did, and did like a fair amount about it, but they fucked up Ollie and Felicity so bad. It's not even just their relationship melodrama but that Felicity was unbearable to watch (I haven't done a tally but I think she cried in literally every episode) and Ollie was always wrong. It's hard to get behind a hero whose every plan and decision is constantly the wrong choice. It's why in some way S1 is still my favorite -- Ollie was an intimidating, self-assured, get-shit-done guy, and I haven't had that sense of him consistently for a while now.

Yeah he lost his edge but another huge decline is the fight scenes. I actually used to think this show was one of the standards for TV action in season 1 but that declined the hardest

Dunno if they got new stunt people or what, plus the framing of the scenes sucked too

Frog-fu

Banned
Felicity was the least of season 3's problems.

She wasn't the main problem in season 3 but pretty much all of its problems lead back to her. The more the writers pushed her to the forefront of importance, the worse the show became for it.

I agree she wasn't the biggest problem, but the way her character was handled was a significant factor in the show's plummeting quality.

guek

Banned
Yeah he lost his edge but another huge decline is the fight scenes. I actually used to think this show was one of the standards for TV action in season 1 but that declined the hardest

Dunno if they got new stunt people or what, plus the framing of the scenes sucked too

I don't think the actual fight choreography was every particularly good. Ollie going non-lethal though changed the tone and tenor of the fights. It's a lot easier to make encounters feel like they have weight when fights are punctuated with bad guys being turned into pincushions.

Felicity was the least of season 3's problems.

The way I see it, the season's big problems were:

- Olicity was forced. While it was established that Felicity had feelings for Oliver, Season two established that Oliver didn't have romantic feelings for Felicity, and still was hung up on Laurel. The harsh turn into Olicity as the OTP in the first episode of season 1 was jarring. The plans for the season required a remantic arc, and Oliver protecting Sarah's killer meant it couldn't be with Laurel, which caused them to jump into Olicity.

- Ras al Ghul's offer wasn't shown to have a downside until the last few episodes of the season, making much of Oliver's behavior seem stupid.

- Laurel's first arc- keeping Sarah's death a secret from Quentin, ran way too long.

- Boring flashbacks.

That said, Season 3 redeemed Thea as a character and Laurel's path to Black Canary was a good arc. Plus, we got plenty of Nyssa throughout the season, so it wasn't all bad.

carlsojo

Pretty hyped for this and Flash to start back up this week.

I hope the title card logo for Arrow changes to The Green Arrow at the end of episode 1.

The choreography was never the greatest, but they were fast and serviceable. The problem is that the scenes were all shot with the same visuals: circle pans for days, along with everyone circling around each other.

Just a lot of circles. Like a dog and its tail.
I agree too. Felicity was a victim of the storytelling pretty much.
That goes for effectively every character that isn't the central one. The Flash suffers from it, too and it's incredibly blatant in the finale of S1. S3 of Arrow was just the worst of it, but it wasn't just Felicity that suffered. Laurel did as well. Even Thea.

I've talked about this ad nauseam, so I won't particularly indulge, but my ultimate point is that both shows suffer from a "sacrifice character for the sake of plot" mentality.
We JSA tho

Frreal we is. Reminds me...where be that Wildcat?

ZeroX03

Banned
Legends of Tomorrow
The Fantasy Lineups

Time Masters
Rip Hunter
Hawkgirl
Hawkman
The Atom
Firestorm
White Canary
Heat Wave
Captain Cold​

Justice Society of America
Jay Garrick
Wildcat Sr.
Atom Smasher
Mr. Terrific
Hawkman
Hawkgirl
The Atom
Stargirl
Doctor Fate​

Shadowpact because I doubt they could use the name Justice League Dark
Constantine
Nyssa Raatko
Doctor Fate
Zatanna
Madame Xanadu
Swamp Thing
Deadman
Castiel Zauriel
Detective Chimp​

The Rogues because they deserve their own show
Captain Cold
Heat Wave
Trickster #1
Golden Glider
Mirror Master
Weather Wizard
Captain Boomerang
Pied Piper​

strafer

wouldn't it be hilaroious if Felicity got killed in the first episode.

They've been hyping up all this romantic stuff between Olly and Fel.

and then boom, got shot in the head.

Just like 24.

wouldn't it be hilaroious if Felicity got killed in the first episode.

They've been hyping up all this romantic stuff between Olly and Fel.

and then boom, got shot in the head.

Just like 24.

And risk the wrath of fangirls everywhere?

This isn't Supernatural where the fangirls seem to hate the female characters and celebrate when they are killed off...

Cautiously optimistic about this season. Hoping the shift in tone will pay off. I didn't hate season 3, but it was certainly a step backwards for the show.

Magwik

Banned
It's kind of telling that Emily Bett Rickards has to go into interviews and make it known that Felicity "will actually be funny this season"
Stuff like that is probably the closest we will get to actual acknowledgement of the woes of S3
Also all aboard the hype train!

foxtrot3d

Banned
I still can't believe they are doing flashbacks. ENOUGH with the goddamn flashbacks, we know how he became the Arrow. Can we please just get one good story going on in the present?

Frog-fu

Banned
Looking forward to watching GAF squirm at all the Olicity stuff while Arrow-GAF enjoys the show. :p

This is what you hope will in happen.

In reality, as with season 3, those of us that used to really enjoy this show will hate watch and critique every [Olicity] scene that's obnoxious and/or stupid, which I imagine will be a fair amount if not the majority.

In turn, we'll have to put up with people that refuse to acknowledge how bad the show has gotten and complain about how much better ArrowGAF was during season 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom