• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrowhead Studios confirm PSN Account Requirement decision was on Sony - Game received over 15,000 negative reviews and is now 'Mixed' on Steam

dotnotbot

Here a link to a reddit thread where a Chinese player has been banned for violating the TOS by creating a PSN in China.

I have already seen it, everyone is copying and pasting the same post. That's why I asked for reports before this drama started. And you don't need to use VPN like this guy did unless you're living in China.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Yeah, I think what people seem to be misunderstanding is that these people who are getting banned are in regions which PSN is not supported. If you're in the UK, US, or Japan for instance, you will have no issues accessing the network, and creating multiple accounts from different regions. This is where I think Sony is enforcing ToS.

Exactly. But console warriors will only see what they wish to see and don't want to engage in honest discussion. Can't have anything critical about Papa Sony now, can we?

Last edited:

squarealex

GMv11tsXcAA_-Uv

Who's right? China with problematic politics or Community Support for Sony?

Also, I living in EU and I using PSN-US account and Japanese account in PS3 / PS4 era, I have never encourted issue, same for HK account (with pre-paid card)...

IDK people says some FUD bullshit

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
GMv11tsXcAA_-Uv

Who's right? China with problematic politics or Community Support for Sony?

Also, I living in EU and I using PSN-US account and Japanese account in PS3 / PS4 era, I have never encourted issue, same for HK account (with pre-paid card)...

IDK people says some FUD bullshit

As the support person says, currency might be an issue. Sony's TOS says that they "may" check and verify that the credit card being used originates in the country registered to the user. Is that why you use a prepaid card?

Before this drama started which PC games required a PSN account to play?

I believe this is the first

Last edited:

badblue

Gold Member
Sony Games! Like most online games on Steam! You need an account to play on their games online.
I can play every Sony game I own on Steam with out logging into a PSN account.

Helldivers 2 is the only exception. And I'd like to point out that I didn't need to link my PSN account to Helldivers 2 to play when I first bought it.

Last edited:

squarealex

As the support person says, currency might be an issue. Sony's TOS says that they "may" check and verify that the credit card being used originates in the country registered to the user. Is that why you use a prepaid card?

No, because my credit card or my Paypal account just not working other than EU territory. (And I prefer using paypal since 2011 hack in all major website if I can)

Now, even if people link PSN to Steam, they can always using Steam for buying DLC / Games without passing on PS Store...

Last edited:

RyanEvans21

I can play every Sony game I own on Steam with out logging into a PSN account.

Helldivers 2 is the only exception. And I'd like to point out that I didn't need to link my PSN account to Helldivers 2 to play when I first bought it.

How many sony multiplayer games release on steam? Mostly single player, Right? Ghost of Tsushima is next if you want to play online.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Language like "console warriors" and "papa Sony" will surely get your the honest discussion you are seeking.

No point in trying to sugar coat or be kind to people who tie their entire personality to a plastic box and a company that doesn't even know they exist. If someone has shown they are incapable of reading and continuously tries to dismiss anything a company does that may be deemed even *slightly* as critical or negative, they will be called what they are.

Sometimes a spade is just a spade.

bender

What time is it?
No point in trying to sugar coat or be kind to people who tie their entire personality to a plastic box and a company that doesn't even know they exist. If someone has shown they are incapable of reading and continuously tries to dismiss anything a company does that may be deemed even *slightly* as critical or negative, they will be called what they are.

You are as bad as what you are rallying against. Time to look in the mirror.

Mr Moose

Isn't that the problem here? Because people didn't read now they are mad?
The only potential issue here is with users not in a country that supports making PSN accounts, and that doesn't seem like it'll be much of an issue.

Fabieter

What the... you are on the other side of the scaling bro.

bender

What time is it?
The only potential issue here is with users not in a country that supports making PSN accounts, and that doesn't seem like it'll be much of an issue.

I'd say Sony making the game available for sale in territories were PSN isn't supported is the first problem and that's compounded by the late addition of a PSN account being a requirement which would remove the ability to automatically get a refund from Steam. The good news is that Steam support is really good at making exceptions for circumstances like this. I'd also hope those circumstances would extend to players in supported territories who don't want to create an account. While not ideal, that seems like the most fair solution short of Sony walking back the PSN account requirement.

Fabieter

I'd say Sony making the game available for sale in territories were PSN isn't supported is the first problem and that's compounded by the late addition of a PSN account being a requirement which would remove the ability to automatically get a refund from Steam. The good news is that Steam support is really good at making exceptions for circumstances like this. I'd also hope those circumstances would extend to players in supported territories who don't want to create an account. While not ideal, that seems like the most fair solution short of Sony walking back the PSN account requirement.

I tried to give some of my Microsoft gmes back that requires an account. They said no chance because it was too long if anyone reports an instance where this is possible to give back games than there will get an email from me :). Would glady give some of those back.

FunkMiller

Gold Member

Sounds fair enough to me. Anyone who doesn't want a PSN account who bought the game on Steam should be allowed a refund.

near

Gold Member
Even if they did read, Sony have not been very clear about its implementation. You either know from the start that it will be implemented at a later date, and therefore region restrict purchases, or you didn't know you was going to fully implement it and decided to just do it anyway. There has been clear confusion about this on Sony's side regardless, at the very least in terms of communication. I wouldn't point the finger at consumers on this one. It even still says on the Helldivers 2 direct page, that you can play it without PSN. It's easy to blame those that have purchased it on Steam and say it was mentioned on the profile page, but if you're being told that you also don't need it, what do you do?

feAu1Yr.png

Red5

China is not good example! I'm sure Facebook,Google,Steam etc are also banned there.

Why does it matter what's banned in China? Sony sold a product on Steam globally knowing that their PSN services aren't available globally. They basically screwed over every player who bought the game on Steam outside of the PSN coverage area, China is just one country and PSN only officially supports around 70 countries.

Ideally Sony has to lift PSN requirements for those affected in countries where PSN is not available.

Last edited:

tmlDan

You underestimate the amount of folks that live in places like the Phillipines who play these games. It is an unneeded change to a game that has been selling extraordinarly well. If Sony wanted to make PSN accounts creatable in those other countries, or change their TOS, then I would have no issue. That isn't the case though.'
Maybe you over estimate how many people play it in the Philippines. They will make it more lenient or people from those regions will be exempt, its not that big a deal either way. All people had to do is make a fuss about in Playstations official channel that rather than act like insane people refunding the product and screaming like babies. Sony has made changes in the past to appease issues like this but PC gamers are legit insane.

Sleepwalker

Ah let me log into Helldivers 2 for a quick game... oh I need to sign in.

f585KoM.jpeg

Ah, but wait some PlayStation owners on NeoGAF who consistantly get upset when ever consumers DARE to say something negative towards a corporation, said I just need to make a fake account in anouther region, let's go do that.

rK9oNpL.jpeg

Ah... OK yeah, that seems normal Sony...

gQ1bWpW.png
gME10Uj.png

iikKXs5.png
OFJF3EE.png
enMC5jq.png
ZKVqNO1.png

The hell? Are those regional requirements or does everyone have to do that?

Fredrik

Interestingly I think the larger story here is Sony's brand. I suspect this type of backlash wouldn't have been as intense mid 2014 fresh off the launch of PS4.
Cutting off access for people living in many countries would’ve been big news guaranteed in 2014, ”Why would I want to live there?” strategies we’re not popular at that time, don’t you remember?

The login requirement in itself is not the big deal here, Sony simply messed up by not correcting the regional limitations before talking about this change. Then things get worse when they’re silent while the poor dev is now taking all the heat. The noise will go away eventually but selling a game with mostly negative rating is harder than selling one with mostly positive rating, so both Sony and the dev is losing something from this change.

Fabieter

Why does it matter what's banned in China? Sony sold a product on Steam globally knowing that their PSN services aren't available globally. They basically screwed over every player who bought the game on Steam outside of the PSN coverage area, China is just one country and PSN only officially supports around 70 countries.

Ideally Sony has to lift PSN requirements for those affected in countries where PSN is not available.

Devs already said this will be the case but its not enough for the hate train.

Yonyx

Banned
There's a lot of corporate-ass bootleggers in this place. It's sad as shit. Corporations - McDonald's, Sony, Nintend0, Disney, Netflix, Amazon, Warner Bros, any over-rated sports team, any league they reside in, are not your mothafuckin' friends. It's fuckin' sad and pathetic to see how many console players are rushing to defend Sony from Sony's own stupid choices. When Microsoft was on top during the 360 era, and Sony was eating shit with the PS3, people defended paying for online and laughing at Sony players for even "having" a PS3. The shit is so gay and tiring to see people well over the age of 21 act like little fuckin' girls and blindly defend people - CORPORATIONS! - that don't even give a fuck about 'em. Shit is sad.
Like, y'all unironically doin' this shit. I've never been a PC guy ever, Nintendo and Sony all my life, but I know when I'm gettin' fucked, and I know that I "have" been fucked by both of those two companies. I don't blindly defend them when they blatantly fuck me over and leave me with no options other than to stop playing. Y'all ______ ain't fuckin' slaves stop actin' like it.
The truth is, it's depressing that there are so many people defending the greedy nonsense of X corporations that goes against the interests of users who have already paid.

Mr Moose

Even if they did read, Sony have not been very clear about its implementation. You either know from the start that it will be implemented at a later date, and therefore region restrict purchases, or you didn't know you was going to fully implement it and decided to just do it anyway. There has been clear confusion about this on Sony's side regardless, at the very least in terms of communication. I wouldn't point the finger at consumers on this one. It even still says on the Helldivers 2 direct page, that you can play it without PSN. It's easy to blame those that have purchased it on Steam and say it was mentioned on the profile page, but if you're being told that you also don't need it, what do you do?

feAu1Yr.png
That's pure laziness on Sonys part. It still says ©2023.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
I'm sorry but this is stupid as shit. Why do you need a pre-paid card? Can't you just create the account and be done with it? Without payment information?

I've had a PSN account since 2007 but don't recall having to enter a payment option when I created it.

Last edited:

aclar00

I dont play on PC, but im with them. Any game that required a secondary login on PS i just ignored and didnt play. EA and Capcom started doing some shit like this but i think the Capcom games were optional? Idk though, not too many online games ive played im recent years, even less now that i let the PS+ sub lapse

bender

What time is it?

feAu1Yr.png

No, you currently...

1ehc8s.gif

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
We have years of folks being banned for this already prior, and more being banned since.

What the... you are on the other side of the scaling bro.
You are as bad as what you are rallying against. Time to look in the mirror.
Somehow I doubt that. I don't tie my entire personality around a console. I just like good games and realize when people are being unfairly treated. But nice try with that projection.

Maybe you over estimate how many people play it in the Philippines. They will make it more lenient or people from those regions will be exempt, its not that big a deal either way. All people had to do is make a fuss about in Playstations official channel that rather than act like insane people refunding the product and screaming like babies. Sony has made changes in the past to appease issues like this but PC gamers are legit insane.
Refunds and review bombings gets eyes. If someone is going to lose the ability to play a game, why would they *not* try to refund it?

The only insane ones I see are the ones who actively can create the PSN accounts with zero issue and still refuse to. Those who can't? They aren't insane. They are just actively putting their money where their mouth is, which is what should be done in cases like this.

Last edited:

Fabieter

There's a lot of corporate-ass bootleggers in this place. It's sad as shit. Corporations - McDonald's, Sony, Nintend0, Disney, Netflix, Amazon, Warner Bros, any over-rated sports team, any league they reside in, are not your mothafuckin' friends. It's fuckin' sad and pathetic to see how many console players are rushing to defend Sony from Sony's own stupid choices. When Microsoft was on top during the 360 era, and Sony was eating shit with the PS3, people defended paying for online and laughing at Sony players for even "having" a PS3. The shit is so gay and tiring to see people well over the age of 21 act like little fuckin' girls and blindly defend people - CORPORATIONS! - that don't even give a fuck about 'em. Shit is sad.
Like, y'all unironically doin' this shit. I've never been a PC guy ever, Nintendo and Sony all my life, but I know when I'm gettin' fucked, and I know that I "have" been fucked by both of those two companies. I don't blindly defend them when they blatantly fuck me over and leave me with no options other than to stop playing. Y'all ______ ain't fuckin' slaves stop actin' like it.

I just want the hate train to be consistent. I have no problem with any company getting called out but even most people hating on some companys for doing shit are in other cooperations pockets tho.

I still didn't see a thread the whole day for league of legends requiring vanguard now. It seems we are all biased one way or another.

DrFigs

Sony support is the worst in the business. I feel sorry for the pc gamers hoping that they can resolve their issues.

tmlDan

Refunds and review bombings gets eyes. If someone is going to lose the ability to play a game, why would they *not* try to refund it?

The only insane ones I see are the ones who actively can create the PSN accounts with zero issue and still refuse to. Those who can't? They aren't insane. They are just actively putting their money where their mouth is, which is what should be done in cases like this.
it's a video game dude, its not your livelihood, you can complain normally and get a response from Sony. They aren't purposefully trying to sabotage you, that's conspiracy level insanity.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
it's a video game dude, its not your livelihood, you can complain normally and get a response from Sony. They aren't purposefully trying to sabotage you, that's conspiracy level insanity.
That isn't what I said at all. The one seemingly pushing conspiracies here is you.

The tone of your posts in this thread say otherwise. But, nice try at deflection.
Anyone can see my account, mate. Please point to which console/company I tie my entire life around. Don't worry, I will wait.

squarealex

I'm sorry but this is stupid as shit. Why do you need a pre-paid card? Can't you just create the account and be done with it? Without payment information?

I've had a PSN account since 2007 but don't recall having to enter a payment option when I created it.
I don' need a pre-paid card for creating account, just for buying game. Sorry if you misinterpreted

tmlDan

That isn't what I said at all. The one seemingly pushing conspiracies here is you.
Explain.

I am saying that Sony would likely see the issue with regions not being included in PSN and change their TOS. They aren't trying to hurt players and sabotage the game. Why do you have to act like a 5 year old online? That doesn't make more noise than commenting under a Helldivers tweet on playstations account. Sony see's it, they're not blind. All companies see issues as they are communicated, they watch even the most minuet online interactions.

Top Bottom