• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arts & Farts

Mik2121

Wow, your stuff is incredible! Would you mind talking us through your process? I'd love to know more!

Thank you! For that drawing it was basically placing some basic gradients on top of the original sketch, then use the selection tool to paint different values and at the end just spend time on adding brush strokes and getting detail in there.

I might take some video or something of one of the rough sketches I've been doing, it's not the same but maybe it gives you an idea? I'm still learning as well, though.

Henkka

Banned
tumblr_nrxur25yIm1rom6duo1_1280.jpg

Damn this is so rad. Do you have any tips on designing characters like this? I'd have such a hard time coming up with armor like that. :p

Anyway, here's some stuff I've done lately..

squarerootofpie

Neo Member
Thank you! For that drawing it was basically placing some basic gradients on top of the original sketch, then use the selection tool to paint different values and at the end just spend time on adding brush strokes and getting detail in there.

I might take some video or something of one of the rough sketches I've been doing, it's not the same but maybe it gives you an idea? I'm still learning as well, though.

So interesting ^_^ I really want to get into concept/ environmental art, but as I've only ever done architectural rendering I would love to watch some videos of the process. Definitely post it in here if you make a video!

Futureman

anyone here use a Surface with Photoshop?

My Wacom died tonight and I went to Best Buy to get the $350 one... and I decided to just get the Surface i3 64 GB version as a test run with the 15 day return policy.

I'm liking it so far after about 15 minutes... but I'm missing those keyboard shortcuts! Any way to at least map some short cuts to the two pen buttons?

if I loved this thing enough I could see myself potentially selling my 15" MacBook Pro and getting the top of the line Surface.

Servbot24

Banned
Damn this is so rad. Do you have any tips on designing characters like this? I'd have such a hard time coming up with armor like that. :p

Thanks! I could spend forever talking about character design, but if I were to offer a couple foundational tips:

-Have a core concept in mind for the character - Write down a few key words for the character perhaps and make sure that everything about the character supports this (I don't always do this but I really should). It helps if you have a personality and story in mind - this can inform where the character design comes rom.
-Start basic - Focus on how shapes interact with each other and contrast together before going into any detail.
-Keep an inspiration folder. I follow fashion blogs and stuff closely to get ideas. Always look for inspiration no matter what you're doing
-Basic design principles apply. Balances areas of high and low detail, balance shape size, use material to create more contrast, etc
-Aim for simplicity. If there are lots of little details, they should not overpower the higher shapes

artsi

Here's some of my recent work. A sketch, an original character design (for no specific use) and a couple of paintings.

I just finished the last one, it's supposed to be Amaterasu from Japanese mythology, she is the goddess of sun and universe. I'd like to do more stuff related to the mythology.

Here's the lineart for the other painting: http://i.imgur.com/nZxfyJ4.jpg

I'd also really like to do a short comic soon, but I have no idea yet what it will be about.

Mik2121

miguel-alonso-blackwhitestudy01.jpg

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/black-white-fantasy-series-01

A color study using mainly black and white (or close enough) with one accent color. About 50 minutes per sketch.

So interesting ^_^ I really want to get into concept/ environmental art, but as I've only ever done architectural rendering I would love to watch some videos of the process. Definitely post it in here if you make a video!

Hey! I tried to take a video of one of my sketches... ended up giving me some meaningless pressure and in the end the quality took a hit because of it I think, but it was a good thing, and I will try to record more of my sketches and post another link when I make something better! In the meantime, I posted some details here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=173741430&postcount=3237

barik

Art-Gaf! I'm an illustration student currently working on my graduation project. Recently I switched my subject to something I've been thinking about a lot: the concept of always living towards something (achievements, experiences etc) and being unable to appreciate the present for what it is. For my paper I need to find existing examples of this concept in art and literature but I haven't been able to find anything substantial so far. I'd love to post a full topic about this but obviously I'm still a junior, so I was wondering if anyone in here can think of any examples, I'd really appreciate it!

And because I haven't posted in a while (or much for that matter), some pages out of my sketchbook:

A color study using mainly black and white (or close enough) with one accent color. About 50 minutes per sketch.

Love this!

Here's some of my recent work. A sketch, an original character design (for no specific use) and a couple of paintings.

I just finished the last one, it's supposed to be Amaterasu from Japanese mythology, she is the goddess of sun and universe. I'd like to do more stuff related to the mythology.

Here's the lineart for the other painting: http://i.imgur.com/nZxfyJ4.jpg

I'd also really like to do a short comic soon, but I have no idea yet what it will be about.
These are bomb artsi!

squarerootofpie

Neo Member
miguel-alonso-blackwhitestudy01.jpg

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/black-white-fantasy-series-01

Hey! I tried to take a video of one of my sketches... ended up giving me some meaningless pressure and in the end the quality took a hit because of it I think, but it was a good thing, and I will try to record more of my sketches and post another link when I make something better! In the meantime, I posted some details here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=173741430&postcount=3237

Oh wow these are great, i'm feeling super inspired now! You have this natural way of creating shapes with your selection tool i really envy!

Mik2121

Oh wow these are great, i'm feeling super inspired now! You have this natural way of creating shapes with your selection tool i really envy!

For what it's worth, this might give you some ideas:

Mentally I have any of those patterns (or a few others) while sketching something, and the shapes just come off the kind of environment I might be thinking of (desert = rounded shapes, ice = sharp edges, etc, etc...).

Using the selection tool makes it easy to add gradients using a soft brush, I use it for these fast sketches a lot, but not so much on the more detailed sketches, or only to get the first shapes and then go over everything again.

Either way, I'm still learning tons of techniques. Whenever I get some new video I will post it here.

For what it's worth, this might give you some ideas:

Mentally I have any of those patterns (or a few others) while sketching something, and the shapes just come off the kind of environment I might be thinking of (desert = rounded shapes, ice = sharp edges, etc, etc...).

Using the selection tool makes it easy to add gradients using a soft brush, I use it for these fast sketches a lot, but not so much on the more detailed sketches, or only to get the first shapes and then go over everything again.

Either way, I'm still learning tons of techniques. Whenever I get some new video I will post it here.

Im saving this stuff. Thanks a bunch Mik!

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Mik, really good improvement over the last year! I think the talent youre surrounded by at work must have been a great source of inspiration and encouragement.

Keep it up y a ver si hablamos pronto

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Continuing my dailies with some Final Fantasy VII stuff

tumblr_nsxuv5Eomr1qed0geo1_540.jpg

I also made a png avatar if anybody would like it

cloud_avatar.png~original

Loxley

Been a while since I shared anything here, but my project where I draw kids with severe illnesses as superheroes continues on. Here are a few of the more recent ones:

Owain (Default Boy) was an interesting one since I was not provided with photographic reference for him (an option I give for the parents), so I had to draw him based entirely on a description of his appearance. His mom loved the drawing so I assume I got close enough :)

LegendX48

Been a while since I shared anything here, but my project where I draw kids with severe illnesses as superheroes continues on. Here are a few of the more recent ones:

Owain (Default Boy) was an interesting one since I was not provided with photographic reference for him (an option I give for the parents), so I had to draw him based entirely on a description of his appearance. His mom loved the drawing so I assume I got close enough :)

dude, you should totally participate in the current GAF art challenge! You got some great stuff here.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Hi! So I'm not sure if it is suitable to post it here, but I recently got an illustrated book project of mine finally done and (self) published, titled "Cucumbertops and Other Animals of The Veggiesaur Kingdom":

Cover:
WoBuEaO.jpg

Some illustrations from the book:
GK7byuD.jpg

0bbQe3f.jpg

9lxG6EW.jpg

hz7PL46.jpg

2XYLLIB.jpg

These are all digital paintings done with ArtRage 4. It's a project I started many years ago as a means to help raise money for lung cancer research, and so finally finishing feels like an absolute blessing!

If you want a copy of the book, you can get it here: http://www.lulu.com/shop/jon-davies/cucumbertops-and-other-animals-of-the-veggiesaur-kingdom/paperback/product-22284646.html

Dice//

Banned
Hi! So I'm not sure if it is suitable to post it here, but I recently got an illustrated book project of mine finally done and (self) published, titled "Cucumbertops and Other Animals of The Veggiesaur Kingdom":

Cover:
WoBuEaO.jpg

Rad as hell. Very good work you should be super proud.

GAF!!! I come to the ARTS and Farts section: Is there any good recommend online drawing tutorial sites?

Something like what schoolism does.

Dreweyes

Wow so much beautiful work here! So proud that this thread has stayed alive for so long!
Thanks for everyones talent, can't wait to see what you folks create next! ♥

C.B.

^ That arm looks great Servbot! I really like the depth you've given it. Totally steals the spotlight for me

I'm living for those eyebrows!
thanks!

fucking unreal as usual cb. how do you pick your colors?

more sketching for my portfolio.

Thanks man; I can probably go on for paragraphs about colour picking and what I look out for, but my largest thing is values. I am always trying to keep a more closed value range. Everyone always goes on about "Contrast!" so that a picture is readable at a distance. For me, I just make sure the right values are next to each other (light and dark for separate items, I try to avoid a dark object on a dark background and vise versa). Then when I actually get around to picking colours it always comes down to "what is my lighting like" is the first question, and I go from there with texture, how does the light react with that texture, etc. Do I want it iridescent, opaque etc... That is it in short haha.

Cross post from my latest speed paint:

narfsk4u6m.jpg

which actually wasnt that speedy. Spent too much time chatting and messing around in the livestream. It's done and it was fun though.

jokkir

Another drawing and first attempt with coloured pencils. I'm so bad at it lol. Will probably post an updated one later with better shading/coloring/whatever

UnvRzEp.jpg

Can anyone give me any advice on editing my scanned drawing on GIMP? My drawings always look good in person, but they don't look as good when they're scanned. Is there a way to make them look better?

LegendX48

Can anyone give me any advice on editing my scanned drawing on GIMP? My drawings always look good in person, but they don't look as good when they're scanned. Is there a way to make them look better?

Well, you could do what I do which is adjust the saturation and levels/exposure but I use photoshop so I'm not sure if GIMP lets you do that or to what extent.

inner-G

Banned
Another drawing and first attempt with coloured pencils. I'm so bad at it lol. Will probably post an updated one later with better shading/coloring/whatever

UnvRzEp.jpg

The sparing use of vivid color really packs a punch, i think!

I wouldn't overdo it with the shading, it has something to it's simplicity

spats

Me and a colleague finished this diffuse-only 3D model after noodling at it on our spare time for a while now. We tried to split the tasks so that it made sense, but basically both of us did modelling and texturing. Nearly everything is done inside Blender, apart from small texture touch-ups in Photoshop.

Obviously very WoW-inspired and in terms of detail we tried to land somewhere under 10k faces for the whole scene, which we did.

Here's an interactive turntable if anybody wants to look at her more. :D

link

Top Bottom