• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arts & Farts

Servbot24

Banned
tumblr_nw2xmrMgmc1rom6duo1_1280.jpg

Mik2121

I wish, haha. Absolutely love Mikhail, though I wasn't thinking of him at the time. Most of the time I draw robots I worry about ripping off Trevor Claxton.
Ahh gotcha, fair enough. The visual style reminds me of Mikhail more, but the designs themselves might be closer to Claxton indeed.

Is that rock texture hand drawn?!
Hahah, no! That would have been crazy. That rock is about 70% photos, with some painting and stuff on top getting rid of some details I didn't want and adding some I wanted (obviously the shape and everything was done first, I just added photo on top mid-process to get extra detail).

Zaptruder

Banned
Ahh gotcha, fair enough. The visual style reminds me of Mikhail more, but the designs themselves might be closer to Claxton indeed.

Hahah, no! That would have been crazy. That rock is about 70% photos, with some painting and stuff on top getting rid of some details I didn't want and adding some I wanted (obviously the shape and everything was done first, I just added photo on top mid-process to get extra detail).

It's not cheating*. It's just modern art - collages that can be made less obvious and blended into the scene better.

Good stuff Mik.

*just saying this to forum in general, not Mik in particular

hahaha!
It still look great, and even if it looks super realistic, it seems a little bit hand made, probably becuase all the changes you made.

^^ The hair movements are really good in the animation. kudos.

So may as well share this here. I've been writing a story on and off for about 6 years now establishing the [big] universe, key characters and plot. That may seem like a long time, but I didn't make much progress until the last few years, with this year culminating in the final drafts. This week I managed to create my first composite of my main character and concept for one of the settings. It's still a bit rough and is nothing official, but it marks one of the few moments I've been able to project how the art and setting might look.

Wont spoil the story synopsis just yet, but it takes place entirely in a self-contained Dream World (meaning it's not in "our dreams"). It's been a challenge to develop everything alongside my artistic abilities, because i'm not always able to put the story or characters onto paper. After all that time however, I'm finally coming into my own style and am excited to see how both of those continue to grow.

Feedback is appreciated, especially on her costume. This character alone has gone through 60 different iterations before landing on this one and I'm almost completely satisfied with it. It's difficult to create a unique design to serve as both an iconic representation of the world and a template for other designs while keeping it simple and easy to replicate. Here's what her hair looks like

So may as well share this here. I've been writing a story on and off for about 6 years now establishing the [big] universe, key characters and plot. That may seem like a long time, but I didn't make much progress until the last few years, with this year culminating in the final drafts. This week I managed to create my first composite of my main character and concept for one of the settings. It's still a bit rough and is nothing official, but it marks one of the few moments I've been able to project how the art and setting might look.

Wont spoil the story synopsis just yet, but it takes place entirely in a self-contained Dream World (meaning it's not in "our dreams"). It's been a challenge to develop everything alongside my artistic abilities, because i'm not always able to put the story or characters onto paper. After all that time however, I'm finally coming into my own style and am excited to see how both of those continue to grow.

Feedback is appreciated, especially on her costume. This character alone has gone through 60 different iterations before landing on this one and I'm almost completely satisfied with it. Here's what her hair looks like

I don't have much to say other than I am a huge fan of the costume and character design. I look forward to seeing more.

Mik2121

Here are 3 variations I made for some sort of giant structures set in some tundra.

miguel-alonso-snow02.jpg

miguel-alonso-snow03.jpg

Don't wanna clutter this so the third I'll just leave it for the link.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/6veEn

Each one took me around an hour, and I did them on Thursday and Friday during my lunch breaks (two of them) and Thursday after work (another one).

Feedback is appreciated, especially on her costume. This character alone has gone through 60 different iterations before landing on this one and I'm almost completely satisfied with it. It's difficult to create a unique design to serve as both an iconic representation of the world and a template for other designs while keeping it simple and easy to replicate. Here's what her hair looks like

Love the character design. I think her costume is really simple and great, which could make her iconic depending on her relevance in the story. The glowing neccklace is what seels the whole costume I think, just enough to tell it appart from other normal wizrd robes.
And for not being final the drawing and colouring is already pretty great.

Here are 3 variations I made for some sort of giant structures set in some tundra.

miguel-alonso-snow02.jpg

miguel-alonso-snow03.jpg

Don't wanna clutter this so the third I'll just leave it for the link.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/6veEn

Each one took me around an hour, and I did them on Thursday and Friday during my lunch breaks (two of them) and Thursday after work (another one).

Mik, stop being so awesome!
Are you working on any games or movies making scenery art by any chance?

Mik2121

Love the character design. I think her costume is really simple and great, which could make her iconic depending on her relevance in the story. The glowing neccklace is what seels the whole costume I think, just enough to tell it appart from other normal wizrd robes.

Mik, stop being so awesome!
Are you working on any games or movies making scenery art by any chance?

I work as a 3D artist (ie, no sketches or paintings or anything needed) at PlatinumGames, working on Scalebound specifically. And I'm terribly far from awesome yet, but one day I want to be able to shift my position from 3D artist to concept artist... hopefully. One day... :p

Servbot24

Banned
I work as a 3D artist (ie, no sketches or paintings or anything needed) at PlatinumGames, working on Scalebound specifically. And I'm terribly far from awesome yet, but one day I want to be able to shift my position from 3D artist to concept artist... hopefully. One day... :p

Holy cow dude, that's awesome. Do you have any 3D work you can post?

MIk you're a big inspiration for me while I'm learning how to do level design concept, and now that I know you work for games I'm slightly less jealous lol. Keep on doing your thing!

I don't have much to say other than I am a huge fan of the costume and character design. I look forward to seeing more.

Thanks guys! Yea drawing wise the proportions and face still need a lot of work, and the costume isn't 100% either, but the overall shapes, colors and themes are getting really close and it's great to have a visual representation at that level.

Her costume is designed to be visually appealing both in motion and standing, especially in low-lighting conditions. It invokes an air of mystery and modesty but also emphasizes her physique. Its primary influences include witch attire, faerie/pixie garb, and a retro sci-fi sleekness; there is a touch of cosmic overlay to give it a slight "outer space" look. It's inspired by the shapes of spiders (thin arms, thin thorax and a wide abdomen). Form fitting, but loose look; it heavily resembles nightgown pajamas. The colors feature gradients and are mostly neutral to suggest ambiguity, with splashes of brown, violet and blue to make it look like it's always reflecting blacklight.

That blacklight of course comes from the necklace, which is part of the main hook of the story.
It's a Dream Catcher, and so are the ones hanging on the buildings
. Working title of course. Can't call it that or i'll end up pissing some natives off, lol

C.B.

Trying to play around with values. Something for some pages I have been working on recently. The unedited version is on my tumblr. I haven't really posted in here for a while it feels....

laurelsfw40bxq.jpg

MIk you're a big inspiration for me while I'm learning how to do level design concept, and now that I know you work for games I'm slightly less jealous lol. Keep on doing your thing!

Thanks guys! Yea drawing wise the proportions and face still need a lot of work, and the costume isn't 100% either, but the overall shapes, colors and themes are getting really close and it's great to have a visual representation at that level.

Her costume is designed to be visually appealing both in motion and standing, especially in low-lighting conditions. It invokes an air of mystery and modesty but also emphasizes her physique. Its primary influences include witch attire, faerie/pixie garb, and a retro sci-fi sleekness; there is a touch of cosmic overlay to give it a slight "outer space" look. It's inspired by the shapes of spiders (thin arms, thin thorax and a wide abdomen). Form fitting, but loose look; it heavily resembles nightgown pajamas. The colors feature gradients and are mostly neutral to suggest ambiguity, with splashes of brown, violet and blue to make it look like it's always reflecting blacklight.

That blacklight of course comes from the necklace, which is part of the main hook of the story.
It's a Dream Catcher, and so are the ones hanging on the buildings
. Working title of course. Can't call it that or i'll end up pissing some natives off, lol

It actually remind me of that, so I think you are capturing perfectly what you wanted to tell.

So you more accostumed to 3d modelling? Thats makes you even more amazing, as doing concepts is only a hobby and you aready are great in my book with the things you show in this thread.
Also pretty cool you are working at Platinum (now I understant you gaf member tag), hope all is going great there!

Mik2121

Holy cow dude, that's awesome. Do you have any 3D work you can post?
Nothing private too recent that I can show right now, though I'm working on something now but that will take a while until I can show it. Work related, I was the main artist in charge of what was shown for Sclaebound during the Gamescom trailer, but obviously most of my team joined for things here and there so it's not just my work, obviously.

Thank you! Everybody here is showing improvements and that's amazing. There's so many people that make me go completely jealous! But in a good way, as it gives me motivation to go and improve myself. You keep doing your great stuff as well!!

So you more accostumed to 3d modelling? Thats makes you even more amazing, as doing concepts is only a hobby and you aready are great in my book with the things you show in this thread.
Also pretty cool you are working at Platinum (now I understant you gaf member tag), hope all is going great there!
Yeah, I've been doing 3D for much longer. For now I'm trying not to use 3D on my artwork so I get things like perspective inside my head, but eventually I will probably throw in basic 3D layouts sometimes, I imagine. Also for things like making vehicles and whatnot.

But yeah, I got into 2D seriously this year, until then I did some practice here and there, but always spent my free time doing 3D stuff.

And yes, I work there! But my tag is only slightly related to it, it's mainly a joke on the gold member stuff :p

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Mik your skills have really come into their own the last two years, youve worked extremely hard and getting a really well rounded set of skills and its really been evident. Im especially proud because, for Spaniards like us, we usually have to leave our home in order to get opportunities so Im really proud to see you at a great company doing meaningful work (something Ive felt really lacking in my own career for the last 3 years)

Great job, I would love for us to be able to collaborate in the future. You know how to find me ;)

barik

^ Mik: great stuff as always!

Anyway, art-GAF: I could use some advice, I'm designing a shirt for a friend of a friend, who has a youtube channel where she plays horror games etc. The design is almost finalized so we're about to discuss percentages, but I don't really know what a fair percentage of the profits would be. Anyone with experience with stuff like this?

tumblr_nfc951Qj3q1s5vsjlo1_1280.jpg

(image unrelated)

It actually remind me of that, so I think you are capturing perfectly what you wanted to tell.

Glad you think so. Sometimes, if I can't visualize what I want to draw, I'll try to describe it and it helps. Is a constant iterative process for me where I have to discover the perfect design, and I know I'm so close. Keep pushing and pulling different shapes and colors. I just scrapped everything again and got here. Not done yet and i'm already in love with it.

60th time's the charm?

Mik2121

Mik your skills have really come into their own the last two years, youve worked extremely hard and getting a really well rounded set of skills and its really been evident. Im especially proud because, for Spaniards like us, we usually have to leave our home in order to get opportunities so Im really proud to see you at a great company doing meaningful work (something Ive felt really lacking in my own career for the last 3 years)

Great job, I would love for us to be able to collaborate in the future. You know how to find me ;)
Hey! Thanks for the comment, I want to think I got better compared to what I was able to do about a year ago. The journey is still going to be quite long until I can do this for work, but it's an enjoyable journey nevertheless.
Regarding to Spain, it would be nice if it had more opportunities... I don't know if I'd take them anyway, but it would be nice to know at least. And yeah, currently working on a big title is great and I'm learning a lot, but on my earlier company not really, and it was probably way more wasteful (as in, lack of self improvement) than I would have liked it to be... but I guess for some things you just can't depend on your work or others to help out :/

Oh, and yes, knowing how small this industry is, I wouldn't be surprised if one day we end up working on something together without even knowing, hahaha! But yes, I know where to find you, and yes again, I would love to collaborate on something whether work-related or for fun one day!

^ Mik: great stuff as always!
Thanks barik!

Glad you think so. Sometimes, if I can't visualize what I want to draw, I'll try to describe it and it helps. Is a constant iterative process for me where I have to discover the perfect design, and I know I'm so close. Keep pushing and pulling different shapes and colors. I just scrapped everything again and got here. Not done yet and i'm already in love with it.

60th time's the charm?

She has so much charming personality in her face. Love it!

Hey! Thanks for the comment, I want to think I got better compared to what I was able to do about a year ago. The journey is still going to be quite long until I can do this for work, but it's an enjoyable journey nevertheless.
Regarding to Spain, it would be nice if it had more opportunities... I don't know if I'd take them anyway, but it would be nice to know at least. And yeah, currently working on a big title is great and I'm learning a lot, but on my earlier company not really, and it was probably way more wasteful (as in, lack of self improvement) than I would have liked it to be... but I guess for some things you just can't depend on your work or others to help out :/

Oh, and yes, knowing how small this industry is, I wouldn't be surprised if one day we end up working on something together without even knowing, hahaha! But yes, I know where to find you, and yes again, I would love to collaborate on something whether work-related or for fun one day!

You know, I always thought Raging Spaniard was only his GAF name and he was not from Spain lol Good to know our country has an amazing artist on GAF. Always loved Raging Spaniard's art and character design.

Servbot24

Banned
nice. am going to guess that the hair was the most difficult.

do you guys design your hair to be easier to animate, or do you like having the challenge?

Depends what the budget is. That one was just for fun so I didn't worry about it. If I'm pressed for time though, it might be necessary to pick a simple design.

Hey guys. Don't want to flat out promote the Kickstarter I'm involved in, but I think some might be interested in checking out this bit of concept art work flow.

I built the scene in Unity with the game assets. The image below is not the final composition obviously.

I also added some lights from within the game engine (not pictured) and then brought it
to Photoshop to add more color and detail.

It's definitely not a bad Idea to incorporate 3D, it has helped me with environment stuff too.

Mik2121

Hey guys. Don't want to flat out promote the Kickstarter I'm involved in, but I think some might be interested in checking out this bit of concept art work flow.

I built the scene in Unity with the game assets. The image below is not the final composition obviously.

I also added some lights from within the game engine (not pictured) and then brought it
to Photoshop to add more color and detail.

It's definitely not a bad Idea to incorporate 3D, it has helped me with environment stuff too.
Agree with this, and it's something that is becoming standard in the game industry. Doing 3D blockouts and sending them to the concept artists is quite common and helps the concept artists skip the whole setting the perspective planes, though it kind of limits them a bit on what they can do.

I personally haven't started using 3D yet for my stuff because I wanna work some basics first, but I plan on doing so eventually (hell, I'm a 3d environment artist to begin with, would be silly not to use that).

Agree with this, and it's something that is becoming standard in the game industry. Doing 3D blockouts and sending them to the concept artists is quite common and helps the concept artists skip the whole setting the perspective planes, though it kind of limits them a bit on what they can do.

I personally haven't started using 3D yet for my stuff because I wanna work some basics first, but I plan on doing so eventually (hell, I'm a 3d environment artist to begin with, would be silly not to use that).

Oh, I would definitely recommend people to learn the fundamentals of perspective first. I've only just started using the 3D blockouts fairly recently after many years of doing it the old fashioned way!
It also helps to get a better eye when choosing images you might photo bash in there. Which is another thing i see people do erroneously from time to time, showing the lack of fundamentals.

P.S. You are killing it sir. Lovely environment pieces.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
servbot thats a nice level up right there. Good vibes, channeling some James Jean, even!

As for me, I thought I was done with Dark Souls, but I thought wrong ...

tumblr_nygizneryV1qed0geo1_1280.jpg

Top Bottom