• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arts & Farts

Phandy

Damn you guys are doing great stuff as always. Servbot, RS and CB, DMuselink, Mik. Love it all.

I've been doing 30 minute spit paints recently. I'm struggling to find time to paint for extending periods. So doing a quick 30 min every now and then is so useful.

All 30 mins, photoshop, no photos, a single phrase description to start.

Theres way more at my Tumblr, i just picked a few to post:
http://phandyporter.tumblr.com/

tumblr_nxzf2ticsv1ttb5lno1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nyc2fkwhfu1ttb5lno1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nxanyyX30s1ttb5lno1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ny8mpqujYG1ttb5lno1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nxebtgTX971ttb5lno1_1280.jpg

Way more at my tumblr. Dropping 1 every 1-2 days at the moment. Really helping get my creative juices out.

arm812

I'm working on anatomy and coloring. I'm trying to do my own graphic novel and need to increase my pencil skills 10 fold.

Color%202_zpsc1mjwbem.jpg

Damn you guys are doing great stuff as always. Servbot, RS and CB, DMuselink, Mik. Love it all.

I've been doing 30 minute spit paints recently. I'm struggling to find time to paint for extending periods. So doing a quick 30 min every now and then is so useful.

Way more at my tumblr. Dropping 1 every 1-2 days at the moment. Really helping get my creative juices out.

Awesome post (follows on Tumblr) I'm glad this thread is fairly active still!

On my end, looks like the Kickstarter I worked on didn't have the legs to carry it. I'm happy with the work I produced for it however. This is the last post for Failsafe!

C.B.

^Thats a shame! I liked the work you were showing involving it. Good luck with your next endeavours

Thanks; and these looks great. Really making me want to do more environmental stuff. Every time I see someone dishing out something great makes me want to do it myself. Awesome timing on them as well. Good sense of atmosphere and your lighting is super nice.

Cross post from the daily thread; finished commission piece over a few days.

chimerafsx3yrk.jpg

Now going the Patreon route...

Random question for the people who do it:

What's the best or number of best places to do commissioned work? I've never done commissioned work from someone online except years ago.

Only places I can think of would be deviantart and patreon...

mostly just wondering

barik

What's the best or number of best places to do commissioned work? I've never done commissioned work from someone online except years ago.

mostly just wondering

There's a large community of illustrators on Tumblr, though you'd have to take some time to find people that make work you like and/or the kind of work that suits the commission. I'm an illustrator (in training) myself but I also follow a lot of illustrators, I can link some stuff if you know what kind of style you're looking for?

There's a large community of illustrators on Tumblr, though you'd have to take some time to find people that make work you like and/or the kind of work that suits the commission. I'm an illustrator (in training) myself but I also follow a lot of illustrators, I can link some stuff if you know what kind of style you're looking for?

It's more along the lines of the other way around where I'm an illustrator, but wondering where to post to get potential people to comission me.

I guess a Tumblr would make sense and that's where I should head to post my stuff (from what I think I can figure out you stated).

barik

Ohhh I must have read that wrong, that makes more sense. Still figuring that one out myself!

Tumblr is a good place for art for sure, I also know a lot of people that have made a Facebook page for their illustrations, which makes sense because pretty much everyone is either on Facebook or at least knows what it is. I rarely post my work on Facebook and the page itself doesn't have that many likes, but some posts still show me that they've reached hundreds of accounts, which is way more views than I'd get on Tumblr. It can't hurt to spread your work around different sites, really.

C.B.

mostly just wondering

For me its a combination of spreading my work around various sites. Tumblr probably is my most viable source for commissions, but it is also the place where I am most active so it makes sense. You have to be sure that you're indicating to everyone that you are available for hire and not just by saying it once but regurgitating it fairly often. I don't always make a post saying that I am open for commissions but I often mention when something -is- commission work, people then realise that they can request for one as well. I usually have a link on pages saying that they can hit me up with an email if they want one.

Alternately you can seek out jobs on places like Conceptart, Artsation and Polycount in their job forums. They list small time freelance jobs as well. When looking for work - especially small freelance jobs - you have to be a little more aware. There are a lot of people who are trying to underpay either through lack of experience working with artists or because they're simply cheap. It's a good place to start to get use to working professionally. Stay vigilant and you won't get burned too badly though it might take a while for you to get footing working with these sorts of clients.

If you're wanting to do more personal one off commissions for a person after a personal piece its a matter of building up audience and skill simultaneously. That is my experience anyway. Someone else may have advice more attuned to what you're looking for.

After all that text I'll just drop this here. It's only a sketch commission but I feel weird just putting a bunch of words in the art thread.

iphiclidespodaliriusfm8rtl.jpg

I'm happy with the design generally so I think I'll paint this one later. Will give me practice making speed paint videos for my Patreon rewards. Also because I want to paint semi-transparent hair.

^Thats a shame! I liked the work you were showing involving it. Good luck with your next endeavours

Thanks; and these looks great. Really making me want to do more environmental stuff. Every time I see someone dishing out something great makes me want to do it myself. Awesome timing on them as well. Good sense of atmosphere and your lighting is super nice.

Cross post from the daily thread; finished commission piece over a few days.

chimerafsx3yrk.jpg

Now going the Patreon route...

Dig this. Do you have a link to your portfolio?

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Cool stuff. Do you plan to continue your series beyond the pieces from Inktober as well? I think the last I saw was Sen's Fortress' boss.

Thanks! I would love to, but Im getting a good enough reception to this that Im thinking of setting up a Patreon of some sorts for it, hopefully I could turn it into a book project of some sort.

Everyone in this thread is some of the best artists I've seen in any non art focused forum

GAF must be practicing eugenics or something

Thanks man. I have a website www.cbedford.com. I'm always a bit slow updating that though, so a lot of my recent stuff is on my tumblr c-bedford.tumblr.com. There's NSFW work on the tumblr so watch out.

I manage some pages (50k plus fans) that focus on the dark or fantastic in art. Your work has a classical quality that should go over well on them and I want to make sure there is proper credits and links where to find you. Plus I work on art direction for conventions/events, so if the convention chairs ever are looking for art in this vein, I'll link them to your portfolio with your contact info.

Amazing stuff!

Thanks I appreciate it. It was fun working on all the stuff for the kickstarter. The game is still in development, so I might jump in at a later time again.
Love seeing your stuff in this and the other art thread. Consider doing some environment art like you said!

I should probably stop doing Dark Souls soon ... but its funnnn
You should not stop sir. Drawing fun stuff is great for jump starting other works!

Been too long.

Yesss! We missed you in the Inktober thread!

I did some fan art of my own recently. Here's a Dragon Ball one of kid Goku riding Shenron.

dragon_ball_sunset_by_noe_leyva-d9j1888.png

Maybe I'll do a Star Wars one next...

Damn RS, those pieces look great.

Here is a piece I did today. Im so much better at drawing than I am at painting and colors so I've been trying to get better at it. Mostly by paying more attention to color irl and reading more art instruction books. I probably havent done more than 20 paintings. I tried to keep the sketching and line drawing to a minimum before painting and I think it came out pretty ok. Definitely on the path to improvement

C.B.

^ You always have some really cute designs!

Thanks I appreciate it. It was fun working on all the stuff for the kickstarter. The game is still in development, so I might jump in at a later time again.
Love seeing your stuff in this and the other art thread. Consider doing some environment art like you said!

Thanks man; the feeling is mutual. And yeah, now I just need to find the actual time to do it! I'm slowly getting study time in though...

I manage some pages (50k plus fans) that focus on the dark or fantastic in art. Your work has a classical quality that should go over well on them and I want to make sure there is proper credits and links where to find you. Plus I work on art direction for conventions/events, so if the convention chairs ever are looking for art in this vein, I'll link them to your portfolio with your contact info.

Amazing stuff!

Oh wow, thanks so much! I really do appreciate it; and I'd absolutely love to work with yourself or anyone really that enjoys those sorts of themes. You can contact me any time via my website ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ!

Cross post from the drawing thread.

royaljellyfsitsjg.jpg

This is the printable poster people will receive for donating £8 or more for the charity raffle I'm doing (here). Speed paint video will also be available when my Patreon goes up. Fun little thing to paint but I want to get into the habit of doing some more complex stuff again.

Star Wars fan art! I have spoiler tagged it in case there is anyone out there that has been living under a rock and has not seen any of the trailers or promotional images.

star_wars_force_awakens_finn_fan_art_by_noe_leyva-d9kjzsb.png

I have not seen it myself (I will tomorrow morning) so looking for reference was a bit dangerous at times!

...so yeah, there is nothing on the image that has not been seen on the trailers or promo stuff.

Is that actual stain glass?

I know art can be unappreciated sometimes, probably a lot actually.

I saw this on deviantart art a while back and shared in the Final Fantasy community, but no replies. I don't understand it, because the coloring is fantastic on this piece.

cloud_thinking_about___by_laovaan-d9kn77b.jpg

I saw this on deviantart art a while back and shared in the Final Fantasy community, but no replies. I don't understand it, because the coloring is fantastic on this piece.

I wish. The fact you are asking is a good sign that all the color overlays and effect worked out. I do have some artisan colleagues that could turn this into real stained glass item. I'd come up with more intracte panels for the upscale.

Despera

Banned

Maybe they already commented on it on deviantart (100+ comments on there last I checked)? Or maybe they've gotten used to seeing a ton of quality FF7 fanart over the years :p

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player

The coloring is fine, but its hard for people to get excited for a floating head that looks similar to something theyve seen before (its not too far from Nomuras style)

Top Bottom