• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arts & Farts

jokkir

n0enw.jpg

Going to try full body sketches soon. This one was just a very quick first attempt at it since I have to sleep because of a midterm tmrw. This is going to be a bad few weeks
3AQmK.gif

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Super early rough for a new drawing, Im really busy on an NDA commission, so I cant show progress on it (and its probably my best work!)

Regardless, you get this

marco_padma_wip01.jpg

And Johnny Cage! Your sketch was good! Put it back up!

Gazunta

Echoing the calls for Johnny Cage to repost that awesome iPad image
that I saved
. What tools did you use to make that? Fantastic work!

Anyway here's a new comic.

Gazunta

Man so much talent in this thread. Really inspiring.

Timo can you talk a bit about how you colour that piece? How do you get that 'gritty' colouring?

And here's another comic. I get so frustrated with how I draw women. I want them all to look like the girls in the redhead thread, instead it all looks like how an eight year old would draw after reading a bunch of Archie comics.

Timo

Timo can you talk a bit about how you colour that piece? How do you get that 'gritty' colouring?

Simplest shit in the world. Just take a picture or scan in anything that's slightly textured (or make your own with ink washes, watercolor, acrylics you name it), and in photoshop make that as a layer over what you want textured (sometimes I put it over my lines, sometimes I won't), and then set the layer property to overlay. Mess with the opacity a little bit on the layer until you get your desired result, and boom, done. You might maybe add some slight noise to the texture depending on what it is.

Just don't go too crazy with it. I try not to get excessive (at least in my opinion, hah), I just use it to break up solid fills and gradients of color, which I find really boring when I do it.

Gazunta

Simplest shit in the world. Just take a picture or scan in anything that's slightly textured (or make your own with ink washes, watercolor, acrylics you name it), and in photoshop make that as a layer over what you want textured (sometimes I put it over my lines, sometimes I won't), and then set the layer property to overlay. Mess with the opacity a little bit on the layer until you get your desired result, and boom, done. You might maybe add some slight noise to the texture depending on what it is.

Just don't go too crazy with it. I try not to get excessive (at least in my opinion, hah), I just use it to break up solid fills and gradients of color, which I find really boring when I do it.

I started mucking around with it the other night...thanks for the tip!

So I have my second convention appearance of the year this weekend and I plan on doing lots of sketches - does anyone here have recommendations on pens and paper for this task? I have just been using my regular 0.2 mm and 0.4mm black felt pens and photo paper. The paper is nice and think and just soaks up the ink super fast.

DEO3

Experimenting with textures on scratchboard:

zwFqg.jpg

There's a lot I'm not happy with about it, but it's the first time I've attempted skin and brass on a scratchboard, and so even though I have a number of issues with how it turned out, I feel like I learned a lot and therefore have opened up many more possibilities.

Mœbius

Never ceases to amaze me how talented some of you guys and girls are. Pretty embarrassing to be posting (exposing) my lack of drawing skills... I'm trying to practice everyday to hopefully improve it.

Here's a quick sketch I made the other night, want to redo it properly using watercolours for some elements.

fHhpql.jpg

Never ceases to amaze me how talented some of you guys and girls are. Pretty embarrassing to be posting (exposing) my lack of drawing skills... I'm trying to practice everyday to hopefully improve it.

Here's a quick sketch I made the other night, want to redo it properly using watercolours for some elements.

fHhpql.jpg
I hope you post this again when you redo it with the watercolors, I love geometric stuff like this and I want to see how you mesh it with the watercolor (because god is it finicky).

I haven't drawn in over two weeks..

mXjOK.jpg

I guess i'm back to square one lol D:
Really liking the values here and the consistency of the shading haha. I might take some inspiration from it in trying to shade my own stuff.

Something I never finished, maybe some day...
I can't help laughing at this (I like it though) I keep thinking that all that poof has to make his collar really tight.

Like a nocturnal Galapagos Tortoise, I plod through the night and curse my day job. Slowly creating art for a sci-fi comic album/illustrated storybook project I've put together with a few writers. The ball rolls ever so slowly.

This one is coming along. Still working out colours and doing some rough fiddling about, as well as adjusting linework and earmarking the mid/background for subtle overlays etc., but happy with where it's heading. About 50% done.

Like a nocturnal Galapagos Tortoise, I plod through the night and curse my day job. Slowly creating art for a sci-fi comic album/illustrated storybook project I've put together with a few writers. The ball rolls ever so slowly.

This one is coming along. Still working out colours and doing some rough fiddling about, as well as adjusting linework and earmarking the mid/background for subtle overlays etc., but happy with where it's heading. About 50% done.

This is great.

daedalius

Awesome, man. As a DP9 fan of yore, you do the franchise proud. Speaking of which, any word on what's happening with Gear Krieg and Jovian Chronicles?

I really have no idea on the other stuff, although I'll make sure to mention it if they give me work to do on those ;)

Glad you like the cover, so far I've gotten a lot of compliments on it from DP9 fans.

Also I posted that process piece: http://galefire.com/2012/11/dream-pod-9-forged-in-fire-cover/

DEO3

fHhpql.jpg

I really like this!

And to contribute to the thread, I scratched out my wife a couple of days ago:

2Glsml.jpg

(larger version)

I think I captured her face, eyes, and the top of her hair really well, but I don't like how the shadowed hair and hair that falls on her shoulder turned out, also I need to figure out a technique that will allow me to shade large areas like her chest without the 'spider-web' effect you see here. Smaller scratches is what I'm thinking, but even using longer scratches like this takes forever.

Phandy

I have a website for my art: http://www.ianbarkerart.com/
I want to get into concept art but no luck so far. Couple recent things:

Also subscribed to thread :)

Website looks good, you have some solid work. If you really want to get into concept art you really need to make it obvious. Get more proper design stuff in there, maybe some proper orthographic model sheets or do a character with lots of gear and detail out each all the pieces of equipment.
Also thumbnails and exploration. And loooadds of em.

That said you have really good illustration skills so you might be able to do more production art for 2d games or illustration type work. Maybe RagingSpaniard can give you some tips, your work seems similar to his actually in your style and approach, I think he does a lot of work on mobile/social games.
Also just keep on practicing!

Some pieces from lunch times at work recently;

1_Valleypoo.jpg

4_Spacepoo.jpg

3_Skelepoo.jpg

Is this an advice thread as well? I've been trying to learn to sketch these past couple of weeks. I'm following one of those "Complete Idiot's Guide". The problem I'm having is what type of pencil to use. The book says there's a bunch of different grades (3H, 4B, etc), but it doesn't go into much detail about which one a beginner should use. Which one is best for sketching? I've been using a regular no.2 pencil so far, but the book recommends that you get some sketching pencils because normal ones are limited in what they can do?

I figured I'd ask here before I went out buying pencils all willie-nillie.

Phandy

Is this an advice thread as well? I've been trying to learn to sketch these past couple of weeks. I'm following one of those "Complete Idiot's Guide". The problem I'm having is what type of pencil to use. The book says there's a bunch of different grades (3H, 4B, etc), but it doesn't go into much detail about which one a beginner should use. Which one is best for sketching? I've been using a regular no.2 pencil so far, but the book recommends that you get some sketching pencils because normal ones are limited in what they can do?

I figured I'd ask here before I went out buying pencils all willie-nillie.

Honestly it doesnt matter too much. What pencils you use are the least of your concerns. For drawing you will realistically be using B's. Tbh though for a beginner something like a 2b or 4b should be good, something soft allowing you to practice with dark/light and thick/thin lines.

Truly though; what you think looks nice and what feels good to you. Its quite subjective really.

Honestly it doesnt matter too much. What pencils you use are the least of your concerns. For drawing you will realistically be using B's. Tbh though for a beginner something like a 2b or 4b should be good, something soft allowing you to practice with dark/light and thick/thin lines.

Truly though; what you think looks nice and what feels good to you. Its quite subjective really.

Thanks. Guess I'll head over to BLICK later on after I finish my errands and pick out a few. Always wanted check out that store. Now I have an excuse!

Phandy

My latest. How am I doing, GAF?

To use the circle method correctly, you need to use the circle as the complete size of the skull. And then the jaw creates the volume that comes below the circle. Your ear should be in the bottom left quarter of the circle essentially. Your surprisingly not far off overall but the circle itself is inaccurate and that ear placement subsequently, its like you didnt even need it! hehe. Facial features are great though, keep practising!

But seriously Andrew Loomis knows where its at;
Hes the king for the learning anatomy basics.

fig01_loomis.jpg

legacyzero

Banned
To use the circle method correctly, you need to use the circle as the complete size of the skull. And then the jaw creates the volume that comes below the circle. Your ear should be in the bottom left quarter of the circle essentially. Your surprisingly not far off overall but the circle itself is inaccurate and that ear placement subsequently, its like you didnt even need it! hehe. Facial features are great though, keep practising!

fig01_loomis.jpg
Thanks!

Wouldn't you know that that's the first time I've ever attempted the circle method?? I dont think I like it =/

I usually just wing it. Thats where the facial features came from. As far as the ear.. Probably too far back??

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Thanks!

Wouldn't you know that that's the first time I've ever attempted the circle method?? I dont think I like it =/

I usually just wing it. Thats where the facial features came from. As far as the ear.. Probably too far back??

Just keep at it, these things take time. No shortcuts in art, really.

And yes, that ear is leaving town

Amalthea

Banned

fig01_loomis.jpg

scannen0016ywrqi.jpg

This went a bit out of hand.

Top Bottom