• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arts & Farts

legacyzero

Banned
Just keep at it, these things take time. No shortcuts in art, really.

And yes, that ear is leaving town
LOL yeah I never noticed until somebody pointed it out :p

Here are a couple I've been working on. I plan to refine them a bit more in the near future.

realm_by_blkcelebration-d5lmzx3.png

save_by_blkcelebration-d5lmzkk.png

Love this work. It's perfect IMO.

Please tell me you're a concept artist for whoever.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Here are a couple I've been working on. I plan to refine them a bit more in the near future.

College is doing good things for you! The contrast is nice but now I would focus on giving things more defined TEXTURES, it all reads a bit too smooth right now.

Tons of improvement from a year ago though, WELL DONE

legacyzero: Thanks, and I'm far from perfect; very far! Unfortunately, my time has not come yet (still work retail). Soon! (maybe)

Raging: Thanks. That is one thing I still struggle with. Taking things to that final stage. My gf gets on my case about my stuff never looking refined enough. The offer is still up to get some beers man!

jokkir

Can anyone give me tips on how to think up of armor/ design ideas on clothing? That's one thing I struggle at and always seem to draw the same kind of characters again and again. I way to uncreative D:

UrbanRats

Can anyone give me tips on how to think up of armor/ design ideas on clothing? That's one thing I struggle at and always seem to draw the same kind of characters again and again. I way to uncreative D:

I recently bought these 3 books for a similar reason:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/3836531070/
Some armors and a lot of costume illustrations from all over history.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0713490454/
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1849940037/

Huge books with ton of fashion illustrations, there are a lot of good things in there.

Also you could try buying some fashion books in general.
I bought this Alexander McQueen book, to look at some more outlandish design ideas.
You could look into similar stuff.

Phandy

Look up specific themes, cultures, fashion or simple ideas and then infuse them with your armor/clothes. For practice you can just do something really simple; Find a picture of literally anything then try and create some armor from it. Find its important shapes and repeat those in your armor and then think about its mateials and small details.

Some good things for armor are like; animals, a specific shape or pattern, or a material. The more unusual the better.
If you want your armour/clothing looking functional use the underlying forms of some actual armor or clothes. If not, go crazy!

jdl

Banned
Like a nocturnal Galapagos Tortoise, I plod through the night and curse my day job. Slowly creating art for a sci-fi comic album/illustrated storybook project I've put together with a few writers. The ball rolls ever so slowly.

This one is coming along. Still working out colours and doing some rough fiddling about, as well as adjusting linework and earmarking the mid/background for subtle overlays etc., but happy with where it's heading. About 50% done.

Nice work dude. Reminds me of Geoff Darrow.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Finally had some time to work for myself, heres a background for a Ginger Steve piece Im working on

dragonback_wip01.jpg

Good fucking grief, character design thumbnails are a pain in the arse without a working version of Photoshop. I've just resigned myself to rendering everything, including animations, by hand, scanning and compiling them into .gifs.

Also, is it possible to insert animated .gifs into a PDF for a presentation? Not urgent, but it'd be a nice touch if there was a possibility.

I heard that this may be a possibility with InDesign, but it's too expensive for me at the moment, even with a student discount (as I prefer to spend my money on essentials like cigarettes and concert tickets :/).

Love this dude!

Some extracts from a children's book I illustrated as part of my MA.

You have a great style. I'm also currently doing some work for a children's book as a side project for a friend who I introduced to a publisher friend of mine... so they pretty much had no choice :p

Fantastic!

Edit: ooops DP.

cwmartin

You guys are all incredible. Much props to those of you who put in the time and are really showing your talent to everyone. On that note, I've found some great inspiration for tattoos around here, especially in this thread. Before I would ever use a piece for inspiration, i would PM the individual artist. But some of you guys may inspire something on my person forever!

DEO3

Scratched this out over the holiday weekend:

54Z43l.jpg

Not quite finished just yet, I want to lighten the detail on the umbrella a bit and work on the backround a bit more, but I should be able to move on from it soon.

jokkir

^Wow, so good .__.

I drew this just now as part of my trying-to-draw-stuff-other-than-just-faces thing:

0dA4I.jpg

Maybe i'll spend more time with it it the future

Prax

Scratched this out over the holiday weekend:

54Z43l.jpg

Not quite finished just yet, I want to lighten the detail on the umbrella a bit and work on the backround a bit more, but I should be able to move on from it soon.

So good. I actually thought it was a photo for a second!
I really want to try scratchboard stuff, since it looks so cool, but I would make too many mistakes and I'm not even sure my style would suit it. It would just literally end up looking like a pen sketch, except the ink would be white. <_<

I finally just broke out of my artistic procrastination for over a month (less if you count WiiU doodles!--Wait, no.. that would still almost be a month.. wah..).
Anyway, I ended up staying up way late getting in a art mode groove to do more time-intensive stuff, like a short comic (it's about 45 panels). I have no patience to fully colour the comic, of course, but I figure using a monochrome palette is a good compromise that makes it look classy. I did the layout (including plot, but without any script) and inking all in one spurt with little planning though, so I don't think I left enough room for text in a way that won't cover up the artwork, which is always a shame. .__. Maybe next time..

Here are a few of my favourite panels smashed together in semi-order.
myriad_saga_event2_panels_by_meibatsu-d5mbux4.jpg

At this point, I think I still have about 20ish more hours of work ahead.. 6 hours of that just being the text and speech bubbles. :(

^ Prax that comic stuff is looking quite nice. Can't wait to see it done.

sketch-12.jpg

Giving my tablet a break and drawing on paper like a pleb. Want to have filled up sketchbooks again.

Beats

Hey Art-Gaf (first post here). :eek:

I'm not that good yet, but I'm gonna be working hard to try and get better. Here's some sketches I did recently:

new3miskr.jpg
new1108spp.png

sdfxdfxh4s3m.png

-

Also, I was wondering where some of you learned to color stuff. Because that's something I really want to work on. Is it just knowing color and light and applying what you know into your works until it "feels right"? I sometimes feel like the stuff that I try to add color to ends up looking flat or the colors feel off.
If you can recommend me some books/videos or tutorials online that would be helpful. :)

Raging Spaniard

Also, I was wondering where some of you learned to color stuff. Because that's something I really want to work on. Is it just knowing color and light and applying what you know into your works until it "feels right"? I sometimes feel like the stuff that I try to add color to ends up looking flat or the colors feel off.
If you can recommend me some books/videos or tutorials online that would be helpful. :)

We learned by coloring. You do it, then you do it again, and again. You will always get better as long as you do it, no shortcuts, just a learning curve. I could tell you some tips and tricks here and there, sure, but for the most part its about you getting into Photoshop and figuring it out. I'll be more than happy to answer specific questions (how to color under the linework, hot and cold contrast, brush use, keyboard shortcuts, using actions, etc, etc)

This is one of the first things I colored in Photoshop, around 2002

And this is ten years later:

Beats

We learned by coloring. You do it, then you do it again, and again. You will always get better as long as you do it, no shortcuts, just a learning curve. I could tell you some tips and tricks here and there, sure, but for the most part its about you getting into Photoshop and figuring it out. I'll be more than happy to answer specific questions (how to color under the linework, hot and cold contrast, brush use, keyboard shortcuts, using actions, etc, etc)

Wow, that's quite a jump! Hmm, I suppose I'll just keep at it then.

Haha. Very nice Raging. I'd like to join in here.

But OT, as Raging said, just keep practicing. Looking at real life of course. Even though photoshop is a whole different learning experience, it helps to know how to color traditionally.

Prax

I love looking at how artists evolve their artwork over time. So many humble beginnings that turn into greatness! It fills me with great envy.
Here's my comparisons.. I tried to pick the same-ish characters for consistency.

1998ish vs 2009
Evolution_of_GLS_by_Meibatsu.jpg

This was some of my best colouring work at the time:
pre-2001 (mostly pencil crayon work only)
2001 (only had a mouse--this was when I first started colouring on the computer. Very soft, not much contrast, gave up fast and stuck to pencil crayon)
2004 (got a small Graphire Wacom tablet, experimented maybe twice with using a wider spectrum to shade or using different light source colours, like using purples or greens)
2006-2009 (didn't colour very much. Only did flats or simple cel-shading for the most part)
2009-onwards (attempt more realism with practice on shading)
colouringstyle_by_meibatsu-d5mf7q3.jpg

2006 vs 2011
Link_and_Zelda_C_by_Meibatsu.jpg
bad_ass_metroid_fighter_by_meibatsu-d47fdd5.jpg

I don't experiment or do colour studies much because.. so lazy! And I flipflop between levels of ability (and styles) all the time because of that, but I know I get better the more I practice. Just don't be lazy and push yourself to do better and you will (and looking at tutorials and doing life and colour studies would help)! XD

So I contacted the people putting on the "Legend of Korra I'm the Avatar, deal with it" art show and its still scheduled for this January for those interested. Again, deadline for submissions is Friday I believe.

I know there are a few somewhat prominent artists in it as well as some of the artists from the actual Korra show. I have two pieces in so I'm pretty excited. Their last show was a Community art show and had Dan Harmon show up (he coordinated with them as well) and a good amount of the actors from the show came as well.

Again, here's the link for the Korra art show:

http://pixeldripgallery.com/2012/09/i-am-the-art-show-deal-with-it-open-call-for-submissions/

jokkir

Just been doing doodles recently instead of full drawings (like the last post I made here)

Here's one I did today:
l2ReZ.jpg

Been trying to draw more of the body than just the head now

DEO3

Another day, another scratchboard:

jCj7Jl.jpg

(Larger Version)

I feel like I'm getting better at shading, but I don't like how grainy her face came out. I used a new tool with this one, an x-acto knife with a #11 blade, and I found that instead of just scratching off the ink, it was so sharp that it cut into the board with every scratch. So areas where the image should look bright, clean, and blown out, like her cheek, chin, etc, are instead just roughed up and dirty looking.

Need some advice. I am looking to get back into oil painting (it's been about 15 years) and found someone selling 19 assorted colors, all 90% full and fully usable all for $20. Is this a good deal?

3Ee3I23Lb5Lf5K45F5cbn2c14b701417217e5.jpg

cackhyena

If you are just getting back into the swing of things then it's a steal. Frazetta said he painted with his kids little kit at times. I have all kinds of different paints from different companies.

Prax

THERE! 50+ hours of work all together!
Knowing that it took on average an hour per panel (obviously weighted more for full spectrum panels) is killing me. UGH.
I wish it only took 25 hours, but what can you do.. Q___Q I guess layout and scripting counts for some hours... *sigh*

Finally got something artsy DONE done for the first time in the last few weeks!
And in a "myriad" of different styles among the panels too because I couldn't stick to just one (too boring and/or too difficult!). I might even push it more and try out different artsy styles the next time I do a comic of the same cast.

And I used REALLY UGLY WORD BALLOONS. OOPS. AND IT STILL TOOK ME ~8 HOURS.
For some reason, I thought octagons would be easier to deal with than ellipses/circles. >___>
I will.. try to use ellipses next time...
( You can see more of the art without ugly lettering job here: http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2..._event_2_comic___wip2_by_meibatsu-d5ms6xt.png )
Plus I think there are some typos.. URGH. I was sleep-deprived and didn't have the mental faculties to do really thorough editing since I wanted everything over and done with.

Obviously, it will be a little difficult for you to get the context, but hopefully it makes enough peripheral sense. xD
I really like the idea of "interactive frames" (4th wall breaking panels and where people/things are just almost hanging out of a window). I think it's just really fun looking and fun to do. What's your guys' takes on that? Too gimmicky?

And since I am back into art mode, you will probably see me posting more stuff soon.

In the spirit of retrospectives/looking back at old art, this was a pencil sketch from 2003 that I found recently and threw quickly into PS for a quick dousing of colour. Found it while I was back home in Oz...there really is nothing like looking through your old, forgotten stashes of drawings and scribbles. The most curious of feelings.

I can immediately tell this was a resultant mix of playing a ton of Halo at the time and reading The Red Star comics.

like 30 mins because its a ''speed painting''

that means you limit yourself like 60 mins tops to block out something you can work with, without worrying at all about fine detail

its a fantastic way to practice because you put your brain sort of on auto-pilot and use a big brush to rough up the canvas and bring out forms and shapes

Servbot24

Banned
Website looks good, you have some solid work. If you really want to get into concept art you really need to make it obvious. Get more proper design stuff in there, maybe some proper orthographic model sheets or do a character with lots of gear and detail out each all the pieces of equipment.
Also thumbnails and exploration. And loooadds of em.

That said you have really good illustration skills so you might be able to do more production art for 2d games or illustration type work. Maybe RagingSpaniard can give you some tips, your work seems similar to his actually in your style and approach, I think he does a lot of work on mobile/social games.
Also just keep on practicing!
Thanks so much for the comment! :D Yes, I definitely need to focus my portfolio. I'll keep an eye out for RS.

Here's a new character design:

Prax

You guys are too great. XD I don't know how you can do such precise lines and shading and structured parts. I have not the technical prowess to compete!

Have some girls and furries instead. lol

This is actually an art prize for someone. They requested to have a group pic of their characters. I wanted to get this done quickly, but I started to like how the shading on the girl in the back kind of looked.. and then 6 hours later.. .__. *sigh*

Top Bottom