• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

As a straight male: have you ever showered with other men in the room with you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tacitus_

Communal showers seem to be the only ones available at schools, swimming halls and gyms. So yes. I'm awfully insecure and even I didn't find it too big of a problem.

Why do men feel uncomfortable naked around each other? Why is nudity taboo? Why not just get straight to it?

Well that is obvious. It's never nice to see friends dicks being bigger than your own. But it was just part of life and there was this kid in my class that had a real small dick, so no one noticed mine much and we all made fun of him instead.

Chake

Banned
Wait...wait....wait. There was a shower room for each student in your school. How big was this place?

Not that big. Why does that sound weird? Most people (Where i live) would never use a grouped shower. I don't even think it exist here.

Rayis

No, I'd rather have privacy when showering, I'd feel so uncomfortable being around people while showering

I never showered in High School.

Even after playing on the football team.
In pads that smelled like year old piss fermented in fish paste.
In Vegas.
In 110º heat.

Not because I'm ashamed, but because I was tired and lazy. Mostly lazy.

I shower after the gym tho.

Majine

Banned
Yes, in a japanese Onsen (Hot Springs) you sit next to eachother naked and shower before going in the bath.

RulkezX

In high school , in the Army and while the showers at my gym are separate , the changing rooms are not.

To be honest I always thought guys who wouldn't shower or are weird about being naked in a shower/changing room were odd. It's like those guys who walk into a toilet with 10 urinals, but use the cubical because there is one other guy in there.

GrapeApes

Only after working out in the mornings and I'm going straight to work. But you get your own curtains there. I've never used on of those showers with multiple heads things. I remember seeing them in PE and saying I'd rather just use deodorant and maybe smell musty than get under that shit.

netguy503

Not that big. Why does that sound weird? Most people (Where i live) would never use a grouped shower. I don't even think it exist here.

My gym has about six showers (3 on each side) and the only guard is see through glass panes on the left and right side so a person diagonal from you can see everything and anyone else just walking by/through. It teaches you to lose any insecurities fast.

Of course I did. From junior high through college. Almost every day -for gym class and sports. It's really strange that kids don't do that anymore. We even showered with the coaches and teachers. No big deal.

sphagnum

Banned
Of course I did. From junior high through college. Almost every day -for gym class and sports. It's really strange that kids don't do that anymore. We even showered with the coaches and teachers. No big deal.

I would assume this is why it's not done anymore. Probably too much lawsuit bait.

That or cracking down on bullying or something.

kirblar

The coaches/teacher thing is a minimization of risk exposure. At my school (10 years ago) if you played sports, you def used em, but not for normal gym. (you just really didn't have time.)

depths20XX

Well that is obvious. It's never nice to see friends dicks being bigger than your own. But it was just part of life and there was this kid in my class that had a real small dick, so no one noticed mine much and we all made fun of him instead.

Haha, yes. I guess it's that and also just kinda weird since you never really see your friends junk.

netguy503

I would assume this is why it's not done anymore. Probably too much lawsuit bait.

That or cracking down on bullying or something.

There's a male swim teacher at my 24 who showers with his students. It's weird. He also makes conversation with his students while showering. And that's where I draw the line. I'll shower next to you buddy but don't ever talk to me while doing it. It's like pissing. It's a man law rule.

Derwind

You talking about bicep curls right?...right?

bICEps, m'rite? =D

I remember I signed up for curling tryouts in highschool but I got cold feet last minute, looking back it bothers me. I could have had my own cool niche and do something I think is fun but I blew it because I didn't want to be made fun of. =(

Also, curlers for the most part are stacked, its not a weak persons sport. =D

LOCK

I made a point to shower, especially the semester I had gym second period in high school. I wasn't going to spend the rest of the day sweaty and/or musky. Nobody really cared about showering. I had a representation to uphold lol.

There is always going to be that clown that makes jokes or pranks on people, but we expect that.

when i played semi-pro football (soccer) I would wait till the other players had finished and even then I would shower with my shorts still on.

netguy503

What is the thread title trying to get at? Is there some deeper question you are trying to understand?

Why do men feel uncomfortable naked around each other? Why is nudity taboo? Why not just get straight to it?

I like the cut of your jib man. Want to get "straight to it" with me then?

Derwind

when i played semi-pro football (soccer) I would wait till the other players had finished and even then I would shower with my shorts still on.

tobias-funke-never-nude_o_gifsoup-com.gif

2rfv6zp-1.gif

Nevernude?

Enkidu

Same here. Back in High School we did have showers but the P.E. teachers always said that if you wanted to use them you had to be buck naked. Only one guy actually ever went through with it, one of those class clown types.
Maybe I'm missing something but why wouldn't you be naked when you shower?

Nobody ever showered in my high school PE classes. There were shower stalls, but no towels or anything else.
No towels? As in, you expect the school to provide towels for you? Obviously you bring your own towel.

This entire thread is so weird to me. We always showered in group after gym class and the only times you maybe skipped was if it was the last class of the day and you would shower at home.

way more

I do it all the time, but I wear my underwear so that the other men can't see my weenie.

And I can tell they are trying. Whenever I walk into the gym showers I get a lot of sidelong glances and people discretely pointing.

Yea in the army 2-3 times a day. Also in school after swimming classes. And i always like to bring this up when we have this thread. My school actualy had mixed gender naked swim classes (pre puberty).

DarkFlow

Banned
In Army basic training I had to shower with like 8 dudes at once while the drill Sgt yelled at us.
wtzgU.gif

I also showered in the middle of a field in Iraq. Used the end of my tanks gun tube to hold my sun shower, and stood in a clean oil pan we had for that. No fucks were given that the whole company could see me, or anyone else that did it.

sphagnum

Banned
There's a male swim teacher at my 24 who showers with his students. It's weird. He also makes conversation with his students while showering. And that's where I draw the line. I'll shower next to you buddy but don't ever talk to me while doing it. It's like pissing. It's a man law rule.

Yeah that's kind of weird. And that just happened to me this week, actually, when I was on the toilet and my coworker was at the urinal and he saw my shoes through the door gap and said "Mike what are you doing pooping during lunch? You can get paid to poop if you do it on break!" Yeah...

Marjorine

Yep. HS baseball. I didn't have to, and some guys didn't, but usually after games and practice we'd go out and there would be girls there and I wanted to not look like a pig.

It was never anything weird and after about 10 seconds you get used to it and you shower and don't even notice.

Yes I have, I shower with dudes around me after practice before I get ready for class. It's a tad uncomfortable at first but then you realize no one cares, they're just there to shower and get out

I can't help but laugh at the people in this thread.

I showered more than half the time after PE class, only exceptions were if I did not break a sweat at all.

I also showered after lacrosse practice and most games, unless I was too pissed to hang around.

It's not a big deal. It's honestly more unnerving to see some guys get so uptight/scared of it that they poison the atmosphere of the locker room.

Be comfortable with your bodies, bros.

netguy503

Yes I have, I shower with dudes around me after practice before I get ready for class. It's a tad uncomfortable at first but then you realize no one cares, they're just there to shower and get out

Does it get better or worse for you guys if there are "regular" vs. "newcomers" in the room with you? I go to the gym and do my routine at pretty much the same time everyday so there are some people I shower with I've seen 5 or more times and I even have started conversations with them (again, never in the showers but when we are getting our clothes on). And since we shower at the same time and have come to terms that we have both seen the dick and ass of the other numerous times (especially given the openness of my gym's showers I have described) it makes our interactions less intimidating. Any others?

Definitely did in high school sports. While naked in the locker room after practice and a shower I had my football coach's daughter walk into the room, which made for a good story. I also got my ass kicked by one of my best friends after a football practice/shower.

In wrestling I would weigh in naked, which is probably a little more exposed because then people are looking directly at you.

Nope, I was at one of those schools where no one even used the shower after gym class. I wouldn't have a problem with a communal shower though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom