• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ascension: Chronicle of the Godslayer |OT| iOS Deck Building

Sorry to all the people I have games going on with, my internet has been down for over a week, but im back and gonna kick some more ass! :p

So I am definitely ready and willing for more games, I many be playing slower than I was but I still like having moves to make!

Kosh

Anyone I have games with I apologize, but I haven't been getting any notifications with this game. Anyone else not getting notifications?

Kosh

I went into notifications and turned them off for this game then turned them back on. I'm now getting notifications. Maybe that will work for others.

Well Return of the Fallen finally came out, but I seem to have lost the few games I was currently playing, and cant invite friends to new games right now, haha.

Played a quick game against the AI though, and I like a lot of the new cards, seems totally different.

eznark

Banned
Anyone grab it yet? I'm on the cusp but I let Wario talk me into buying a $3 twitter app yesterday and my December ios purchases are quickly exploding into real money. Absurd!

Anyone grab it yet? I'm on the cusp but I let Wario talk me into buying a $3 twitter app yesterday and my December ios purchases are quickly exploding into real money. Absurd!

Yeah, I bought it! It adds a whole lot of new cards and seems like it will take a little bit to formulate some new strats.

Ive played very little so far though, but what ive played ive enjoyed.

Yay! Whoa, these cards are crazy, its going to take a while to figure them all out.

I am unsure of how I feel about the art, its a dramatic change, and so far it seems harder to distinguish them.

Will wait on buying until server issues resolved. Can't see any friends, all games are gone and times out connecting to the server.

soldat7

Love the expansion. Invite me! (GC: soldat7) My games tend to be played out over several days, FYI. Sometimes I can sneak several full games at night.

Ah, learned via Facebook my issue is probably due to number of friends. I have 250 and above 85 seems to cause Gamecenter issues. Don't want to delete GAF folks, so, will wait for them to sort it out.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Ah, learned via Facebook my issue is probably due to number of friends. I have 250 and above 85 seems to cause Gamecenter issues. Don't want to delete GAF folks, so, will wait for them to sort it out.

Ugh. Yeah f that. That was a problem early on but I thought it had been resolved. Don't really want to pare down my friends list again so hoping I can work around it some other way.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
hmm got it working just had to d/l and buy the expansion. nbd since i was gonna buy it anyway but still hahah

edit: nm issue is back now. grrr

I've been setting everything to 7 days on my invites.

How's it work if you invite someone to an expansion game and they don't have it? Do they get pushed to buy it? I've only been inviting people I see have changed their icon to one of the new ones.

Also do people like playing expansion only or a mix? I started some games with both card sets then some games expansion only. I haven't even played it offline yet so I don't know how the flow changes with the new cards.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
So this is complete package, similar to real-life game, correct? Or did they cut some content/put IAP/etc.?

The basic game is the full game. The expansion is the full expansion except you can't play with 5 like you can IRL if you have both (NBD imo).

Phthisis

Just FYI, as someone who's played the actual card game and the iOS version to death, the expansion adds a lot of much needed variety to the strategies each faction employs. RotF makes Mechana/deck score a reliable and effective strategy. The new Void cards actually give you a reason to cull cards beyond apprentices and militia.

RotF balances a lot of the stuff that was off in the original game (even though it was a great game, it had its problems that would appear over the course of 100-200 matches).

RotF is also great to play on its own with only two players. More dynamic.

Gary Games is releasing the next actual physical expansion next week, so it's a good time to be an Ascension fan.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Just FYI, as someone who's played the actual card game and the iOS version to death, the expansion adds a lot of much needed variety to the strategies each faction employs. RotF makes Mechana/deck score a reliable and effective strategy. The new Void cards actually give you a reason to cull cards beyond apprentices and militia.

RotF balances a lot of the stuff that was off in the original game (even though it was a great game, it had its problems that would appear over the course of 100-200 matches).

RotF is also great to play on its own with only two players. More dynamic.

Gary Games is releasing the next actual physical expansion next week, so it's a good time to be an Ascension fan.
I've had that one for the past few weeks. Fun stuff, and the board is fantastic, but man there are a lot of cards now and even more concepts.

AstroLad, any tips for a new player? I like deck-building games, makes me wish Dominion had a proper iOS port. I played only the tutorial so far, and the game seems great. Going to read the rules in depth tommorow and start playing against A.I. for now.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
AstroLad, any tips for a new player? I like deck-building games, makes me wish Dominion had a proper iOS port. I played only the tutorial so far, and the game seems great. Going to read the rules in depth tommorow and start playing against A.I. for now.

I'm no expert! Game is really straightforward though once you play a few rounds. A lot of luck in terms of what cards come up when you have the right amount of runes/power but I like that. :D

Flynn

I got the expansion prior to updating my iPad and now I can't seem to re-download the expansion. I'm pretty sure I have in app purchases turned on. Anybody have trouble with this?

Just started playing this a few days ago. I have zero experience with this type of card / deck building game, but I'm getting pretty hooked.

There's one concept I don't understand - banishing cards from your own discard pile or hand. Why would I ever want to do that if a card will give me an honor point at the end of the game? Why would I want to burn one, I can't find a card that hurts to own.

deim0s

Your starter cards doesn't have honor points to them plus you fine tune your deck during the game, discard what you don't want, etc, etc.

Ri'Orius

Just started playing this a few days ago. I have zero experience with this type of card / deck building game, but I'm getting pretty hooked.

There's one concept I don't understand - banishing cards from your own discard pile or hand. Why would I ever want to do that if a card will give me an honor point at the end of the game? Why would I want to burn one, I can't find a card that hurts to own.

Because it will make your deck better. And crappy cards do, in fact, hurt you to own.

Every time you draw a crappy card, you're getting less that turn than you would have if you'd banished it. Think of it this way: would you rather have a deck with ten Apprentices and ten Mystics, or a deck with just the ten Mystics? Clearly the latter: you'll be able to buy great cards every turn.

Banishing bad cards doesn't feel like it's that big a deal at first, but it really is. Try it out: you'll be shocked at how much better a deck gets when you're constantly removing the chaff.

Flynn

Because it will make your deck better. And crappy cards do, in fact, hurt you to own.

Every time you draw a crappy card, you're getting less that turn than you would have if you'd banished it. Think of it this way: would you rather have a deck with ten Apprentices and ten Mystics, or a deck with just the ten Mystics? Clearly the latter: you'll be able to buy great cards every turn.

Banishing bad cards doesn't feel like it's that big a deal at first, but it really is. Try it out: you'll be shocked at how much better a deck gets when you're constantly removing the chaff.

Not to mention that there are cards in the expansion that give you honor points when you banish them from your own hand or discard.

Thanks for the responses, I think I get it now... I'll start banishing the apprentices first and see if I can notice the effect.

I'm not playing with the expansion yet, trying to get comfortable with the vanilla game first.

Phthisis

I'll give you one tip: there's a slight delay between when you shift strategy mid game and when the cards you've started to purchase come up. So for example, when you get a board dominated by monsters halfway through the game, using all your runes on Heavy Infantry won't have a visible effect for three to four rounds. That said, if you're the first player to adapt to the board, it does put you at a serious advantage when you can start rolling over monsters before anyone else gets what they need.

In general, I like to start the early game primarily focused on Mystic/Heavy Infantry so I'm more adaptable late game. It's really attractive to pile up with center cards, but unless they're really useful early game (like Lifebound Initiate or Nairi, Henge Queen, for example), set yourself up for bigger plays in the mid-late game. I can't count the number of times I've been able to win on the last turn with an epic progression of my hand that I had been setting up all game long.

Top Bottom