• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ash Ketchum the 10 year old that is stronger than you.

harmonize

Misty is just the generic tsundere companion
lol every main female after Misty feels like some rehash of Misty or Ash in the original series. May and Dawn told the coming of age story that Ash had while still not accomplishing their goal and becoming wanderers like him, Iris focused on the tsundere side of Misty much more to the actual definition than Misty ever did, and Serena is focusing more on the crushing on Ash side of Misty while taking thirty-something episodes to actually accomplish something outside of it.

truth be told Brock was the weakest part of the original series, he was only entertaining when Misty was around for him to bounce stuff off of.

elhav

QbdD3b2.jpg
lol I feel the same as the guy who commented.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
lol every main female after Misty feels like some rehash of Misty or Ash in the original series. May and Dawn told the coming of age story that Ash had while still not accomplishing their goal and becoming wanderers like him, Iris focused on the tsundere side of Misty much more to the actual definition than Misty ever did, and Serena is focusing more on the crushing on Ash side of Misty while taking thirty-something episodes to actually accomplish something outside of it.

truth be told Brock was the weakest part of the original series, he was only entertaining when Misty was around for him to bounce stuff off of.

Not really. May was more like finding out what she wanted in Pokemon (she wasn't even thrilled to be one), and Dawn already had a set goal in mind so it was essentially Ash's but instead of badges it was ribbons. Serena's goal was essentially finding a goal, and even with the idol thing she may or may not pursue it.

Iris meanwhile has this "dragon master" shit which is, while less vague than pokemon master, she doesn't really work hard on it and the character really is far, faaaaar annoying than a typical tsundere, she sounds more like a brat. Misty didn't really mesh with the character other than feeling like the usual "female character in a 90's shonen". And then she personally became a void upon Togepi's introduction.

Nzyme32

Stand to reason that the truth is - he is not a human. He is a pokemon of his own type, training other pokemon.

He will catch himself when the time comes

It's really sad that Ash gets looked down even though he's probably one of the better characters in the show, whereas Gary is looked as king even though he never qualified for Indigo League and Ash kicked his ass so hard he changed careers.

He is a king though

FEgEU36.gif

Also Gary beat Ash in their final fight

harmonize

Not really. May was more like finding out what she wanted in Pokemon (she wasn't even thrilled to be one)
But she realized that she wanted to be a coordinator in the first dozen episodes, afterwards they stuck her with a Gary-esque rival and had her have the same type of arguments with Max that Ash did with Misty. The biggest difference between her and OS Ash was that Ash was a much more hands-on and kind mentor-esque character than Misty was with Ash, and the pairing aspect was between her and her rival, not her and her mentor.

Serena's goal was essentially finding a goal, and even with the idol thing she may or may not pursue it.
All she did before the idol thing was flirt with Ash and do similar filler stuff that everybody had done at some point in the series.

Misty didn't really mesh with the character other than feeling like the usual "female character in a 90's shonen". And then she personally became a void upon Togepi's introduction.
Togepi was one of the reasons she developed beyond being a typical tsundere archetype that she began as, it's bizarre to see you complain about her fitting the mold too well, then complaining about what helped break her out of that mold. Compare the first interactions that Ash and Misty had to the last they had before she left the cast; no other main character besides Ash himself changed as much as she did through the time she was a main character, while Serena probably won't develop much at all since a sizable part of her character shown thus far is tied to Ash, who certainly isn't getting any character development anytime soon.

Also, Misty pretty much accomplished what she set out to do by proving to her sisters that she was a great trainer and taking over the gym. I can't really think of anybody else who did the same thing besides Brock, which itself is a retcon because he had said before that he didn't want to be a Pokemon doctor during the first series.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

Would not be surprised if it was Brock that was the real reason behind some of those positive tests and Ash ended up taking the fall.

O2HErdi.png

ggN5KW2.jpg

Boss Doggie

He is a king though

FEgEU36.gif

Also Gary beat Ash in their final fight

An unofficial fight that caught Ash unsurprised with the same typing which isn't even mediated. Although at the very least that's not as retarded as how BW started.

But she realized that she wanted to be a coordinator in the first dozen episodes, afterwards they stuck her with a Gary-esque rival and had her have the same type of arguments with Max that Ash did with Misty. The biggest difference between her and OS Ash was that Ash was a much more hands-on and kind mentor-esque character than Misty was with Ash, and the pairing aspect was between her and her rival, not her and her mentor.

Yeah true.

All she did before the idol thing was flirt with Ash and do similar filler stuff that everybody had done at some point in the series.

What no. You can show flirty unless you're a one-off character in a children's anime! That's lewd.

At most, she's what would 4chan call is "spilling spaghetti", as in building up embarrassment / shyness inside thus increasing the chance of doing something awkward in the process. That's what she did a lot earlier on and still exhibits from time to time. When she has gotten a bit more used to the gang, she's what I'd call the "children's wife" in an anime, a character who exhibits traits of a "meant-to-be" (from slapping Ash's hands, from grabbing him from jumping into a silo, etc.).

However she remains consistent as someone who definitely wants to try out all experiences and find out what she's good at.

Togepi was one of the reasons she developed beyond being a typical tsundere archetype that she began as, it's bizarre to see you complain about her fitting the mold too well, then complaining about what helped break her out of that mold. Compare the first interactions that Ash and Misty had to the last they had before she left the cast; no other main character besides Ash himself changed as much as she did through the time she was a main character, while Serena probably won't develop much at all since a sizable part of her character shown thus far is tied to Ash, who certainly isn't getting any character development anytime soon.

Also, Misty pretty much accomplished what she set out to do by proving to her sisters that she was a great trainer and taking over the gym. I can't really think of anybody else who did the same thing besides Brock, which itself is a retcon because he had said before that he didn't want to be a Pokemon doctor during the first series.

No see, changing a character is fine especially if it meant growth. Togepi however didn't show that. What happened was that she became a mother and... that's it. They didn't play off much to her trying to be a motherly figure. She was warped into that character. While I am not saying original Misty is great, at least it felt like they were trying to experiment more with her a bit on, especially on the earlier eps, because her goal was kinda simple. Somehow they gave her a Togepi that managed to suck her soul out and prevented her from doing much more.

Yeah that's true, but remember that back then the only thing that really tied Misty into joining the gang wasn't as strong as Brock's. It was really the bike thing.

Wasn't there some weird drama behind the scenes of the anime where one of the directors wanted to downplay/cut Misty or something?

also I can't get enough of that ash figure pic with the abs lmao

Stardust_Comet

Neo Member
If Ash is that strong, then maybe he should give up on training pokemon and learn to fight them on his own. We know he can stand being electrocuted and flame throwered, so that only works in his favour. Maybe he'd actually win the pokemon league for once.

Oh wait, who am I kidding? They'll just sick another legendary on his arse because the pokemon universe is against letting Ash actually win that damn league, ever.

TheContact

Recently got firered on my phone and I've been playing through it and it made me want to watch the anime again. Haven't seen it since it first aired but it's on netflix now and I watched a few episodes so far and it's just as good as I remember it. And damn Ash is a beast

DarkKyo

All this talk of Ash and Gary's rivalry is making me nostalgic about how magical and awesome the start of the first anime seemed to me as a kid.

Stardust_Comet

Neo Member
When having a rival meant something. Paul was lame as hell.

More like when having a rival meant having an actual fucking rival.

Seriously, Paul was only playing the legit role of the rival within the last few episodes, starting exactly where Monferno evolved into Infernape. Before that, he was just the benchmark of where Ash needed to be just for Paul to remember his name. No Ash, the guy who thinks you're an NPC that has no chance against him is not your rival. He actually has to think you're worth considering as someone worth beating before you can start calling him a rival.

Syril

If Ash is that strong, then maybe he should give up on training pokemon and learn to fight them on his own. We know he can stand being electrocuted and flame throwered, so that only works in his favour. Maybe he'd actually win the pokemon league for once.

Oh wait, who am I kidding? They'll just sick another legendary on his arse because the pokemon universe is against letting Ash actually win that damn league, ever.
Still? What's the farthest they ever let him get?

Boss Doggie

When having a rival meant something. Paul was lame as hell.

Gary wasn't even Ash's rival in OS. Barely even challenged him until the end of fucking Johto.

You're the first person who said Paul was lame. Pretty much I saw said Paul is a great rival.

Hilariously enough XY is the season where people actually attacking Pokemon on sight is common. Ash/Serena tackling pokemon, Clemont punching Meowth, children throwing stones, etc.

lol

sounds like something loser ashy-boy would say to excuse his defeat

Was that the depowered-chu arc? That was one of the worst things ever in 'mon

Yeah BW was really that terrible.

Yeah, Ash may be able to lift logs but he's got nothing on Masaru.
aPTGbk3.gif

Ever see Ash hold his own against Pikachu? Nah, he just gets electrocuted like a bitch. Not like Masaru over here.
FBqT779.gif

He literally punches Digimon to death.
qpb2pGp.gif

And he ain't afraid of no fire.
F7RM5Ms.png

WTF is this? Is this where Digimon went?

harmonize

No see, changing a character is fine especially if it meant growth. Togepi however didn't show that. What happened was that she became a mother and... that's it. They didn't play off much to her trying to be a motherly figure. She was warped into that character.
Going from being annoyed by Psyduck to actually having sympathy for it most of the time? Pretty much any time Togepi was in danger from anything? Helping Ash after he lost the Kanto league, calling him "her burden" and generally being mentor-like at most times? Helping Brock win over that chick that wanted to marry him? Helping both of those two when they were sick? Trying to cook at some point in Johto, even though she was bad at it? Helping Max be more nice to his sister? All of these are just from memory. She didn't just start acting motherly, she became a more tolerable person to everyone around her and it becomes very evident as the series goes on, especially towards the end and after it. I don't know how you can parse through Serena's one-dimensional and currently undeveloped character and act as if there's been any difference in how she's been portrayed during the course of the first forty episodes, then say that Misty was warped into anything.

In fact, now compare her to Serena. What's her most defining characteristic? Her crush on Ash that came about from that single time they met earlier in their lives that had never been mentioned before in the show. Is that going to develop from Serena's end? Probably not; how much more can you even do with it since they established in the first three episodes that she almost certainly feels this way? The writers will just keep dropping the same type of hints as they have been since the beginning to satisfy the insatiable shippers that care far too much about that sort of thing on this show. Is that going to develop from Ash's end? lolno; Ash isn't a human, but an advanced automaton Clemont devised cloaked in the pelt from an actual, emotion-capable person that he slayed at some point before his journey began. Wow, what an interesting friendship! It makes me wonder why the writers even decided to put so much of a focus on it when it's such a dead end in terms of character development and such one-sided interactions between the two. I know anybody who cares about shit like developed characters probably isn't the target demo of the show, but this is bad even in Pokemon terms.

Yeah that's true, but remember that back then the only thing that really tied Misty into joining the gang wasn't as strong as Brock's. It was really the bike thing.
The entire second-to-last episode of the original series revolved around the fact that it wasn't about the bike; she's still the only main character who left that didn't actually want to. And every other companion has either copied the concept in some form or been straight-up retconned into the series. Again, if anything, she had the strongest reason for joining and staying the group: because she wanted to both when she joined, to when she had to leave.

and also:

Rz88kBN.png

fuck that I would break his goddamn legs and forced him to carry me around everywhere after they healed if he didn't pay me back for that shit

So like how dense is Larvitar then?

OK this is Larvitar

2VW3fhw.png

This thing here is 0'6 m tall. We could roughly say it's made of a cilinder, a sphere and a box, 0'2 m high each.

For the cilinder, let's say that its width is 1/4 its height which leaves us at 0'05 m. The formula for a cilinder's volume is

(pi)*(r^2)*h = 1'57 L

Next is the sphere, since it's 0'2 m high the diametre is 0'1 m which applying the formula for the volume of a sphere leaves us with

(4/3)*(pi)*(r^3) = 4'19 L

Here's the trickiest part, the box. I haven't found anything besides Larvitar's height so I'll have to make a guess. I'd say it looks like its width is 0'5 m and its depth is about 0'3 m. The formula for the volume of a box is

a*b*c = 30'0 L

Add it all and V_t = 35'8 L = 3'58E(4) mL

Now, the mass is 72 kg which is 7'2E(4) g

Divide the mass by the volume to learn the density:

(rho) = mass/volume = 2'0 g/mL

Which is about twice as dense as an average human body according to Wikipedia, and also, as dense as orthorhombic and monoclinic sulphur.

Boss Doggie

Going from being annoyed by Psyduck to actually having sympathy for it most of the time? Pretty much any time Togepi was in danger from anything? Helping Ash after he lost the Kanto league, calling him "her burden" and generally being mentor-like at most times? Helping Brock win over that chick that wanted to marry him? Helping both of those two when they were sick? Trying to cook at some point in Johto, even though she was bad at it? Helping Max be more nice to his sister? All of these are just from memory. She didn't just start acting motherly, she became a more tolerable person to everyone around her and it becomes very evident as the series goes on, especially towards the end and after it. I don't know how you can parse through Serena's one-dimensional and currently undeveloped character and act as if there's been any difference in how she's been portrayed during the course of the first forty episodes, then say that Misty was warped into anything.

In fact, now compare her to Serena. What's her most defining characteristic? Her crush on Ash that came about from that single time they met earlier in their lives that had never been mentioned before in the show. Is that going to develop from Serena's end? Probably not; how much more can you even do with it since they established in the first three episodes that she almost certainly feels this way? The writers will just keep dropping the same type of hints as they have been since the beginning to satisfy the insatiable shippers that care far too much about that sort of thing on this show. Is that going to develop from Ash's end? lolno; Ash isn't a human, but an advanced automaton Clemont devised cloaked in the pelt from an actual, emotion-capable person that he slayed at some point before his journey began. Wow, what an interesting friendship! It makes me wonder why the writers even decided to put so much of a focus on it when it's such a dead end in terms of character development and such one-sided interactions between the two. I know anybody who cares about shit like developed characters probably isn't the target demo of the show, but this is bad even in Pokemon terms.

The entire second-to-last episode of the original series revolved around the fact that it wasn't about the bike; she's still the only main character who left that didn't actually want to. And every other companion has either copied the concept in some form or been straight-up retconned into the series. Again, if anything, she had the strongest reason for joining and staying the group: because she wanted to both when she joined, to when she had to leave.

and also:

Rz88kBN.png

fuck that I would break his goddamn legs and forced him to carry me around everywhere after they healed if he didn't pay me back for that shit

That's the point though. Most of her character have been played off repeatedly. With that said I never really paid attention much to the Johto arc until the end because good god that whole saga tread so slowly even if DP had the longest gym to gym gap.

Also holy shit did you just say XY is dull when in fact it's the season that reinvigorated the anime? Ash actually now acts something that fits his character - he now is a big brother (a missed opportunity in AG and DP) to a learning group. Serena is a character who was inspired by Ash and so she finds her goals while thinking at first she would be with Ash in the journey. That's the point of her early character. Clemont was a gym leader but preferred other duties, and saw Ash as a way to expand his thing. Maybe it's because you're watching the dub, but they were never automatons.

And yes that's a given (in the original season) that the reason for coming with Ash was beyond the bike but come on, that's like every shonen cliche. What I stated however was that it was her only driving force to join with the group. It wasn't as solid as the other characters.

Shengar

People still watch this crap shit of an anime?
Before anyone jumped on me, lets just say that I hate Sazae-san's format in general

Boss Doggie

People still watch this crap shit of an anime?
Before anyone jumped on me, lets just say that I hate Sazae-san's format in general

I avoid the anime yet somehow XY managed to pull me back. There's something about this season. With that said it wouldn't surprise me if BW did set the opinions of the show back - that season was very, very terrible.

Then again I watch the sub version. If you guys ever want to watch the anime I implore you to watch the subs. This isn't a sub vs dub debate (I actually enjoy Space Dandy dubbed), it's just that TPCi really, really never care about localization, and CN itself doesn't seem to care about the dub.

Top Bottom