• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag |OT| Not Based on a DisneyLand Ride

Gah! I'm hyped to play a new assassin's game right now... but I need something for the ps4 and this seems like it... the extra couple week wait is going to kill me

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Warning, the game leaked!

Fucking Pirates win again.

Warning, the game leaked!

Fucking Pirates win again.

surprised it took this long.

funny enough i tend to trust 'pirate' impressions on games more than some gaffers initial impressions.

having just spend $60 on a game kinda skews opinions to be more positive out of the gate ;)

I'll probably end up Redboxing it for the PS3, then buying the PC version when it drops low enough. Worked out for Revelations and 3, should be good again as long as it's distributed at the kiosks close by.

ViciousDS

Banned
FINALLY, get to my cousins house....hooked up all 4HDMI's (thanks for HDCP sony and thank goodness for splitters that work.)

I'm deleting his game and probably going to record the first 15 minutes or so.

What kind of links are accepted for the RAW capture from the elgato?

I'll gladly upload it

LETS DO THIS!!!!

lh7GFk9.jpg

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
FINALLY, get to my cousins house....hooked up all 4HDMI's (thanks for HDCP sony and thank goodness for splitters that work.)

I'm deleting his game and probably going to record the first 15 minutes or so.

What kind of links are accepted for the RAW capture from the elgato?

I'll gladly upload it

LETS DO THIS!!!!
Wait, what? How do you have a copy so early?

ViciousDS

Banned
Wait, what? How do you have a copy so early?

I don't, cousin does.....hes been working at Target since its the only place he can hold a job (he has MD and has problems standing for really long periods of time they support him with his problems and he gets a hell of a lot of privileges.)

But our Target just got shipments in yesterday which is when he snagged a copy.

I would have been to his house sooner with my Elgato but he was sleeping by the time I got home last night.

ViciousDS

Banned
Is "snagged" a euphemism for "stole" since I'm sure the store registers wouldn't have allowed him to purchase it yet?

no, its just sold before street date......our target for the most part doesn't give two craps about street dates (it was the same deal when I worked at the Circuit City when it was still around in our area, I owned Halo 3 nearly 2 weeks before the official release as well as CoD4.) I don't work for any merchandising stores now so sadly I can't officially buy my own till release date (unless my cousin doesn't like a game that I want, then I just give him the money for it.)

EDIT: alright the way his Target works is with pre-orders for employees they can take the games home early but the actual sale doesn't get registered till that Tuesday. They haven't had any major problems with employees in the past doing this although someone did happen to get away with the original black ops on the 360 by getting fired over the weekend(didn't show up for work) after getting the copy in advancement.)

Sorry for using the word snagged it was a bad use of it.

no, its just sold before street date......our target for the most part doesn't give two craps about street dates
Hmm, curious. Usually the register at a giant chain like Target will refuse to sell the game before the release date, so it's typically not something that's just up to the store or the employee, but the computer system as a whole. Let us know if the game is any good when you get a chance.

ViciousDS

Banned
Hmm, curious. Usually the register at a giant chain like Target will refuse to sell the game before the release date, so it's typically not something that's just up to the store or the employee, but the computer system as a whole. Let us know if the game is any good when you get a chance.

I stealthed edited on ya, because the dumbass never explained how it works at his store........

LuchaShaq

Banned
This thread is only 4 pages so far? Has interest in AC gone down that much?

1. Despite loving 2/brotherhood/revelations I thought 3 was a flaming pile of trash.

2. Waiting for reviews to tell me if it plays like 3 or if it plays like the previous games.

3. Waiting for reviews to tell me if there is much awful present day stuff.

4. Waiting for next gen.

Yoday

I am crazy excited for this game. I still love this series to death, and this one looks to be the best yet. I bought it digitally for the PS3, and upgraded to PS4, so I am going to dabble in the game and get my bearings on the PS3, and then dive headfirst into the PS4 one in a few weeks. It will also be fun to see the differences.

I am really starting to wonder if Edward dies at the end of this game. The chaos of Pirates chasing freedom resulting in the death of his father would be a pretty good reason for Haytham to go Templar.

I have been listening to the soundtrack for days now, and it is really amazing. It is the best since Brotherhood and ACII, and just as good IMO.

Bad7667

Hah, sorry, I call bullcrap on that. No giant chain store is going to allow their employees to take a game home early before the actual sale is rang up, period, that just isn't gonna happen. Your cousin is full of crap. I don't actually care, it's really not my concern, but that's a silly story.

When I worked retail I was allowed to take home a legendary edition copy of halo 3 a week before the game came out. It wasn't a mom and pop store either. Huge company in Canada.

Effect

Made up my mind. Taking a pass on Batman as I kept going back and forth on it. That's a clear sign to me that it's not something I need to play right away and I can certainly wait for a deal, lower price, or just not play it at all in the end. Made the choice before at the Wii U launch between AC3 and Arkham City. Between having played Asylum before hand (came with my PS3) and going off the various content features with AC3 (trapping/skinning of animals, ship combat, selling of items to craft equipment, the running system, and setting), AC won out in the end and didn't regret it. Same seems to be happening here again.

Currently have the Wii U version ordered as it seems it is getting the preorder content. Wonder if you can buy the content from the other retailers at some point. However not the DLC content. It's the later that I'm sort of worried about if I take a huge liking to the game and want more of it and replaying it doesn't satisfy things. Guess that's the risk of getting this version.

This game feels so much better than 3 already.

Also, LOL at
Abstergo being a game developer and the setting being chosen because pirates sell games

ViciousDS

Banned
This game feels so much better than 3 already.

Also, LOL at
Abstergo being a game developer and the setting being chosen because pirates sell games

I thought it was pretty funny......makes the
modern day setting not as serious, well for now and actually makes me like the modern setting because you are technically a game tester.....I would love to do that shit as well lol

I thought it was pretty funny......makes the
modern day setting not as serious, well for now and actually makes me like the modern setting because you are technically a game tester.....I would love to do that shit as well lol

Yeah totally agree. If the game continues along this line and there are no
major twists into super-seriousness
. This would basically sell me on infinite AC games.

Mendrox

Yeah totally agree. If the game continues along this line and there are no
major twists into super-seriousness
. This would basically sell me on infinite AC games.

Well... major twists... is there a spoiler thread for that yet? Would like to discuss spoilers. PS3 Version is a mess btw. broken FPS, but beautiful scenary and way better than AC 3 (Just saw the first two hours from a link from Gamefaqs). Gameplay is better because it plays more like Batman with counter and stuff. :) Enemies attack you anytime even if you fight against someone else. MC is very funny and cool he is like a pirate version of Ezio. Modern day stuff looked like Google lol

1. Despite loving 2/brotherhood/revelations I thought 3 was a flaming pile of trash.

2. Waiting for reviews to tell me if it plays like 3 or if it plays like the previous games.

3. Waiting for reviews to tell me if there is much awful present day stuff.

4. Waiting for next gen.

It's like we're the same person. Though with Watch Dogs delayed the likelihood of me buying AC4 has slightly increased.

I payed the game maybe 1-2h xbox360, had to stop, it's not mine. First, the game looks absolutely fucking digusting, AC3 looked much better. In the first minutes had a strong FC3 deja vu. The gameplay is OK i guess, played 5-6 missions and everything felt rushed. The story feels like a joke or wtf, there are some very interesting characters and probably will get better.

Barakov

Gold Member
I payed the game maybe 1-2h xbox360, had to stop, it's not mine. First, the game looks absolutely fucking digusting, AC3 looked much better. In the first minutes had a strong FC3 deja vu. The gameplay is OK i guess, played 5-6 missions and everything felt rushed. The story feels like a joke or wtf, there are some very interesting characters and probably will get better.

Guess it was a good choice to wait for the PS4 version.

Josam27o7

Neo Member
Reviews for this game are due next Tuesday. Is it right to assume that all reviewers will have gotten to play the PS4 version? I heard from one reviewer at Polygon (Arthur Gies) that he played through Black Flag on the PS4 for his review.

Effect

Reviews for this game are due next Tuesday. Is it right to assume that all reviewers will have gotten to play the PS4 version? I heard from one reviewer at Polygon (Arthur Gies) that he played through Black Flag on the PS4 for his review.

I hope not. All versions of this game should be reviewed as they're all likely to turn out differently regardless of what Ubisoft says. The PS3/360 version compared to the Wii U version compared to the PS4/Xbox One version compared to the PC version. I hope the various outlets have requested different versions. As I hope the console specific sites were sent the versions they requested.

I would like to see what the PS3 version looks like. Use of the word "disgusting" is not helpful at all. Especially here on gaf where exaggerations run wild.

I just want some Wii U impressions before my copy ships from Amazon. Would like at least like the chance to cancel it just in case something has gone horribly wrong with the Wii U version.

Neverfade

I hope when this series gets the inevitable reboot, they leave out the annoying present-time sections. Completely unnecessary and have ruined every AC for me thus far.

Stantron

If Splinter Cell Blacklist is anything to go by, Ubisoft will bundle all this pre-order stuff in post launch DLC.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I have to say, I love the fact that Ubi is again using the PC DDE to give the middle finger to the idea of retailer/platform-exclusive content.

Aveline missions? Included in the PC DDE.
Black Island Pack? Included in the PC DDE.
Pirate's Bounty Pack? Included in the PC DDE.

Edit: Actually, it seems the Pirate pack is a pre-purchase incentive regardless of the edition, but that's of little consequence.

ironcreed

Banned
I watched a bit of a PS3 walkthrough. Seems pretty much the same as far as most core mechanics go. But at least it stands apart with the pirate tone and nice tropical environment. Overall, I'd say it looks like a much better Assassin's Creed than III was. I was planning to wait, but I'm tempted.

DMiz

Resist the need!

If you can run it on a PC, or if you're going to get a next-gen console, AC games have the cruel tendency to drop in price relatively quickly. If it turns out a stinker, like III did (for me), then at least you don't kick yourself as hard.

Besides, clearances always happen once the inevitable AC5 comes around. :p

Top Bottom