• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III [November 2012 - End of Desmond arc]

Pyccko

astroturfing said:
the 3 places in ACIII:

ancient Egypt with the pyramids and shit
old ass China or Japan
old ass Mayan city

i'm calling it.
Well, if Subject 16 was related to Desmond like they hint at, and he was a descendant of Adam or Eve, thus Desmond
is as well, so I'm thinking the First Civilization is going to be the setting at some point.
Or at least I think that would be rad. :\

Dizzle24

Not sure if I want another game. I haven't completed Brotherhood yet and I've had it since Christmas. :/

I'm just bored with the repetitive gameplay (I know its been mentioned to death) but I'm not really into AC universe anymore.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
duckroll said:
This is really no surprise at all. After AC2 it seemed pretty obvious that AC3 would be the end of the Desmond story, and the deadline for the story was end 2012. The only reason AC:B and AC:R exist is because Ubisoft knew they had a huge mainstream hit, and wanted yearly sequels for the series. The team wasn't ready to finish AC3 in 2010, so instead they agreed to make two more Ezio games to fill Ubisoft's coffers before AC3.
Actually the core AC2 team was (from what I heard) more or less split in half, with the first part going on AC3 preproduction, and the rest working on the yearly sequels along with about every other Ubisoft studios. And now they can ramp up the production of AC3 with everyone from the previous games on it, and tools and everything else for the new engine being ready.

duckroll

Dizzle24 said:
Not sure if I want another game. I haven't completed Brotherhood yet and I've had it since Christmas. :/

I'm just bored with the repetitive gameplay (I know its been mentioned to death) but I'm not really into AC universe anymore.

That's a pity. I really like the AC universe, but I haven't played Brotherhood and I'm not getting Revelations anytime soon. Instead I'm going to remain excited for the unannounced AC3, and I plan to play Brotherhood and Revelations whenever I can get them for super cheap on Steam in the future. That seems to have protected me from AC burnout!

Blimblim said:
Actually the core AC2 team was (from what I heard) more or less split in half, with the first part going on AC3 preproduction, and the rest working on the yearly sequels along with about every other Ubisoft studios. And now they can ramp up the production of AC3 with everyone from the previous games on it, and tools and everything else for the new engine being ready.

Yes, but if Ubisoft didn't want yearly AC titles, Brotherhood and Revelations would likely not exist.

Blimblim said:
Meh. We were supposed to get AC1 in 2007, AC2 in 2009, then AC3 in 2012. Each with a new hero (and Desmond of course) and time period. Instead we got AC1, AC2, ACB, ACR then AC3.
As long as AC3 is as good as it was supposed to be when they decided to release it 3 years after AC2, why would the inclusion of ACB (great game) and ACR (hopefully as good as ACB) in the time line be a bad thing?
Of course if AC3 turns out to be disappointing or barely an incremental upgrade from AC2 in terms of engine and gameplay mechanics, then it's a whole other story.
THANK you for being the man of reason blimblim! this is exactly how I feel about this.

Zapages

Blimblim said:

What about PoP? The latest I heard we are going to get a sequel to PoP 2008 as the game is being tested right now for bugs in some stage of its development.

Lesiroth

Nothing really surprising here.

But it's crazy talk to assume they'll end the series after 3. Just a new protagonist, that's all.

That idea about the female assassin would be nice, but I bet they'd weasel their way out of it by saying 'animus doesnt work this way durr'

~Kinggi~

Banned
I hope this means they have had a separate team working on AC 3 for the last few years or something. Would seem silly to make the jump in # and have it be no different than these yearly iterations.

Although i will say how Ubisoft has structured their several satellite studios over the world to handle pieces of these games has been keeping the quality up. No easy task.

~Kinggi~ said:
I hope this means they have had a separate team working on AC 3 for the last few years or something. Would seem silly to make the jump in # and have it be no different than these yearly iterations.

Although i will say how Ubisoft has structured their several satellite studios over the world to handle pieces of these games has been keeping the quality up. No easy task.
I think there is a seperate team working on AC3. I remember Ubisoft saying something like that back when Brotherhood was announced.

I was actually thinking they would save AC3 for next gen, but with 2012, that doesn't seem possible anymore. Well, as long as it's as great as the others, I'm happy.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
duckroll said:
Yes, but if Ubisoft didn't want yearly AC titles, Brotherhood and Revelations would likely not exist.
Of course Ubisoft see the AC games as the cash cow it is (no thanks to their excellent marketing for AC1 though, it certainly wouldn't have sold that much with just the review scores). It doesn't mean they are going to release a half-assed AC3 though. I mean, just check that insane list of people who worked on ACB:
http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/assassins-creed-brotherhood/credits
There were *even more* people working on ACR than that (game is gold, or close enough to it that it doesn't matter anymore for the production part of the game), and you can be certain they have already all moved to AC3. And since they had quite a bit of people working on the pre-production part of the game for 2 years now, we can hopefully think that all these people all know exactly what they are supposed to do and just produce content and code for the game.
If their project managers did and still do their job correctly, they can produce an insane amount of content (to go with the stuff already done by the preproduction team) in the upcoming year, and we might get the AC3 game we were supposed to get if the yearly AC games had never existed.
Now it remains to be seen what will happen with the new direction AC3 will take without Desilet, but from what I heard he already had a less important role in AC2 than he had in AC1, so we'll see.
I for one can't wait to see what AC3 will be, that's for sure.
ClosingADoor said:
I was actually thinking they would save AC3 for next gen, but with 2012, that doesn't seem possible anymore. Well, as long as it's as great as the others, I'm happy.
Yeah I always thought AC3 would be a next-gen game when they started talking about the 2012 release date. But that won't be the case, so I guess the new engine will be a highly scalable engine that will be ready to do some actual next-gen stuff as soon as the consoles are out. Maybe they'll use the PC version as their test beds, that would be quite a nice idea in fact.

FHIZ

3? Really?

C'mon ubi, it's 5... you abandoned the numbering scheme, so why bring it back? That would be like if 2012's Call of Duty would be called Call of Duty 5.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
JDSN said:
I thought that was the point of Revelations.
Revelations is the end of Ezio's arc, not Desmond's.

Also, no "milking" talk until one of the games sucks. Each subsequent AC game has been better than the previous, so I'll keep taking them.

FHIZ said:
3? Really?

C'mon ubi, it's 5... you abandoned the numbering scheme, so why bring it back? That would be like if 2012's Call of Duty would be called Call of Duty 5.

Well, AC 2, Brotherhood, and Revelations are all Ezio games, so they didn't really abandon the numbering system. Although they could have done AC2, AC2: Brotherhood, and AC2:Revelations.

3 will be a new character most likely, or just a full Desmond game.

JCtheMC

I'm guessing this means the AC 4 era starts on the next console gen?

There's so many interesting settings to visit with this franchise, i have no trouble buying the numbered sequels every 2-3 years.

Angry Fork

FHIZ said:
3? Really?

Except AC2/Brotherhood/Revelations all deal with Ezio's storyline and character. AC3 will not feature Ezio presumably (at least as a main character) and will focus on Desmond + a new character maybe.

exYle

FHIZ said:
3? Really?

Think GTA instead

cabottemp

Banned
FHIZ said:
3? Really?

Fuck that noise, this shit needs to be called AC3. New character = new number, don't get it twisted.

rvy

Banned
FHIZ said:
3? Really?

That... doesn't make any sense. They're doing it right.

d0c_zaius said:
and brotherhood fits that description

Not even close. Brotherhood has better combat, the cool Borgia towers, the crossbow, the 100 percent sync system which adds challenge and replay value, recruiting and calling assassins and an excellent multiplayer. It's the better game.

FHIZ said:
3? Really?

Yeah, I agree with other posters, I always figured that III would indicate the next person in the storyline. Brotherhood and Revelations still deal with Ezio from II, so if they hit III next it means he's not the main protagonist anymore.

I always figured the last game in Desmond's storyline would be a modern Assassin's Creed with Desmond running around on rooftops and shit. Basically Prototype except without the monster powers.

iNvid02

d0c_zaius said:
and brotherhood fits that description

general consensus is that each games has improved upon its predecessor,
so even if you didn't like it as much as ac2 most people did, nothing has been
milked yet.

sure they could have spent an extra year on acb and polished it even more, but
that can be said with any game

d0c_zaius

Magic Mushroom said:
Not even close. Brotherhood has better combat, the cool Borgia towers, the crossbow, the 100 percent sync system which adds challenge and replay value, recruiting and calling assassins and an excellent multiplayer. It's the better game.

While has refinements, the one thing that matters the most is the story. In this regard, it was much worse than 2. Although the assasin calling was cool, it also killed the difficulty for me.

Of course my complaints are subjective.

duckroll

Blimblim said:
Of course Ubisoft see the AC games as the cash cow it is (no thanks to their excellent marketing for AC1 though, it certainly wouldn't have sold that much with just the review scores). It doesn't mean they are going to release a half-assed AC3 though.

I never said anything about a half-assed AC3 though.

Massa

ShockingAlberto said:
The "It's cool because the games aren't getting worse" argument doesn't really hold water if you didn't feel Brotherhood was a better game.

I wasn't a huge fan of Brotherhood but I still can't fault Ubisoft for their decision to keep making these games. People will get tired of the IP whether they make them once every other year as well.

If you don't want as much AC as they're making you can just not play all of them.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Bob Tampinha said:
The problem is that from 2 to Brotherhood there wasn't a evolution, sure they packed more content in it, but the mechanics stayed the same, the combat got even more easier and the stealth still is nonexistant.From what we have of Revelations gameplay, it seems that it's the same shit from brotherhood in a different place, and i doubt they're going to make significant improvement in a year.So yeah, i think there is a reason to complain.

The thing is this is exactly the same damn thing to so many other series out there. Look at God of War, Gears of War, COD, Uncharted, etc. What is SO different from one game to the other really?

People seem to expect more differences between each AC games because of how things changed between AC1 and AC2, and because of the whole "change era/ancestor" thing. But practically all other popular game series out there do no different.

duckroll

Ether_Snake said:
The thing is this is exactly the same damn thing to so many other series out there. Look at God of War, Gears of War, COD, Uncharted, etc. What is SO different from one game to the other really?

People seem to expect more differences between each AC games because of how things changed between AC1 and AC2, and because of the whole "change era/ancestor" thing. But practically all other popular game series out there do no different.

Why are you comparing AC with other series? I don't get this obsession you have with comparing one series with another. You yourself have pointed out why people have specific expectations when it comes to AC. That makes it different from the other series you are listing. If people are unhappy about AC becoming like "any other popular series", then that is a legit complaint.

Irish

I rank the games like this:

1. AC
2. AC:B
3. ACII, which I wasn't a big fan of in the least. (compared to the other two)

I think Revelations will be much better than Brohood and possibly even better than AC for me. Definitely will have the best gameplay from what I've seen.

Also, Revelations looks like freaking concept art. Truly amazing. I still prefer the more 'realistic' look that AC had though.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
duckroll said:
Why are you comparing AC with other series? I don't get this obsession you have with comparing one series with another. You yourself have pointed out why people have specific expectations when it comes to AC. That makes it different from the other series you are listing. If people are unhappy about AC becoming like "any other popular series", then that is a legit complaint.

Err no because the same people don't complain about the other series not changing at all after two-years or more between each game.

So it's really nitpicking. People don't like it because they don't like the idea that a company is releasing a sequel every year. Same goes with Gaffers bashing COD for being a milked series and never having even played it to begin with, nor even caring about it or FPS games.

Glad to know such opinions mean jack shit as either series just keep selling more anyway.

Radec

Irish said:
I rank the games like this:

1. AC
2. AC:B
3. ACII, which I wasn't a big fan of in the least. (compared to the other two)

I think Revelations will be much better than Brohood and possibly even better than AC for me. Definitely will have the best gameplay from what I've seen.

Also, Revelations looks like freaking concept art. Truly amazing. I still prefer the more 'realistic' look that AC had though.

Let me try..

1. AC:B
2. ACII
104,301. AC

IMO. :)

duckroll

Ether_Snake said:
Err no because the same people don't complain about the other series not changing at all after two-years or more between each game.

So it's really nitpicking. People don't like it because they don't like the idea that a company is releasing a sequel every year. Same goes with Gaffers bashing COD for being a milked series and never having even played it to begin with, nor even caring about it or FPS games.

Glad to know such opinions mean jack shit as either series just keep selling more anyway.

No, it's not nitpicking. I don't see why this is hard to understand. Let's look at this comparison:

The expectation of what a Gears of War game is based on GoW and GoW2: You play as Marcus, the shitty AI or your friend plays as Dom. There are aliens. You shoot them. They die. Sometimes you die. Sometimes your partner dies. In the end there's a ton of juice all over the place, and you look at all the juice.

The expectation of what an Assassin's Creed game is based on AC and AC2: You play as Desmond, who through the miracle of science gets to relive the memories of his ancestors. Each game covers a different ancestor and is set in a distinctively different historical period. You are an assassin and you assassinate people. Jumping from tall heights is cool.

Gears of War 3 fulfills all the expectations of what a Gears of War game is. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood and Revelations does not. I don't see why this is hard to understand for you. It is not nitpicking, it is called having different expectations for different series based on a pattern.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
duckroll said:
No, it's not nitpicking. I don't see why this is hard to understand. Let's look at this comparison:

The expectation of what a Gears of War game is based on GoW and GoW2: You play as Marcus, the shitty AI or your friend plays as Dom. There are aliens. You shoot them. They die. Sometimes you die. Sometimes your partner dies. In the end there's a ton of juice all over the place, and you look at all the juice.

The expectation of what an Assassin's Creed game is based on AC and AC2: You play as Desmond, who through the miracle of science gets to relive the memories of his ancestors. Each game covers a different ancestor and is set in a distinctively different historical period. You are an assassin and you assassinate people. Jumping from tall heights is cool.

Gears of War 3 fulfills all the expectations of what a Gears of War game is. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood and Revelations does not. I don't see why this is hard to understand for you. It is not nitpicking, it is called having different expectations for different series based on a pattern.

Ok so a game that takes two or three years to make and makes no changes to the formula is fine, but a series where it upgrades every two or three years is bad and the releases in between offer as much in terms of what you'd expect from sequels than you would expect from other series is wrong? Who says each game has to cover a different era and ancestor anyway?:p

And that's only by pretending that AC actually under-delivers with its yearly releases, when in fact it offered even more than the other series often did with two+ years of development.

So AC is guilty of being a better brand that is more inspiring, gotcha.

I don't care if they do yearly releases. I liked AC1, loved AC2, loved ACB, and I think ACR will also be fantastic. As long as they continue fine tuning and improving, and as long as the story remains interesting to me, I'm game for more Assassin's Creed every year. It's a nice tradition at this point, closing out the year with an AC game.

duckroll

Ether_Snake said:
Ok so a game that takes two or three years to make and makes no changes to the formula is fine, but a series where it upgrades every two or three years is bad and the releases in between offer as much in terms of what you'd expect from sequels than you would expect from other series is wrong?

And that's only by pretending that AC actually under-delivers with its yearly releases, when in fact it offered even more than the other series often did with two+ years of development.

I really don't think you understand what anyone is trying to say here. You keep trying to compare the development of the games in some objective manner which really doesn't matter. Games are not the same, and most people do not treat every series with the same expectations or standards. This is not about fair critique based on some formula of returns or content value.

Nothing matters to a consumer except what he/she wants out of the product, and what is appealing about that product to the individual. If I enjoyed Assassin's Creed and Assassin's Creed 2 because I enjoy the formula the game had where each game was set in a totally different time period and had a different main lead character, are you saying that my connection to the series because of this particularly aspect is irrelevant just because Ubisoft wants to make it a yearly series?

Whether it is yearly, or quarterly, or every 3 years doesn't matter to me. It's not the only series I'm interested in, and it's not the only game I play. What matters to me is that I am interested in the specific formula the series originally had. Now it has a different formula. I don't have to like that. Not accepting it doesn't make a damn difference to me, and I have every right to objectively criticize it from my point of view. That doesn't mean that others can't or shouldn't enjoy it. It just means my preference is to wait for AC3.

Radec said:
Let me try..

1. AC:B
2. ACII
104,301. AC

IMO. :)

Pretty much. AC is nowhere close as good to the other games, which has superior features in every way.

And this is someone who collected those damn flags.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
duckroll said:
I really don't think you understand what anyone is trying to say here. You keep trying to compare the development of the games in some objective manner which really doesn't matter. Games are not the same, and most people do not treat every series with the same expectations or standards. This is not about fair critique based on some formula of returns or content value.

Nothing matters to a consumer except what he/she wants out of the product, and what is appealing about that product to the individual. If I enjoyed Assassin's Creed and Assassin's Creed 2 because I enjoy the formula the game had where each game was set in a totally different time period and had a different main lead character, are you saying that my connection to the series because of this particularly aspect is irrelevant just because Ubisoft wants to make it a yearly series?

Whether it is yearly, or quarterly, or every 3 years doesn't matter to me. It's not the only series I'm interested in, and it's not the only game I play. What matters to me is that I am interested in the specific formula the series originally had. Now it has a different formula. I don't have to like that. Not accepting it doesn't make a damn difference to me, and I have every right to objectively criticize it from my point of view. That doesn't mean that others can't or shouldn't enjoy it. It just means my preference is to wait for AC3.

That's fine, but I was not responding to you, I was responding to someone who seemed to expect much more improvements in an AC sequel, which had nothing to do with changing eras or ancestors or whatever, and I replied that it wasn't any different than other series. There was nothing in there about ancestors or different eras. I said the fact that the series has the possibility to change things drastically from one game to the next leads people to expect even MORE than they normally would from a sequel, and that's BEYOND the idea of changing era or ancestor, not that people shouldn't expect a different era or ancestor in every game.

Top Bottom