• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Origins gameplay previews

SomTervo

Do any of these previews go into detail about actual new stuff in terms of gameplay, quests? I mean at first glance it really doesn't look like just another AC with a different look and new location, which is really good.

Yes they do. Why not have a read?

Quests are now more ARPG in structure. Like Horizon. Multiple can be active at once, you can leave them active and do something else then come back. Generally more side quest/main quest structure like an RPG. You swap between playing two protagonists, husband and wife.

Gameplay wise... Seriously have a read. Combat overhauled to be challenging, dangerous, more level based. Enemies attack all at once so you have to crowd manage and positioning matters. Completely new combat controls. Eagle now provides UAV-style power. More systemic stuff like Far Cry/Zelda - animals, multiple factions, elements combining in battles. Loot and secrets/tomb raiding/exploration tie into level based gear, upgrades, progression.

Seriously. Have a read.

Looks pretty slick, like how nimble and fast the main character is. Not sure of the combat, I hate the screen shudder on hits.

I don't think the combat translates well on screen. Every written preview I've read of it says it's excellent.

Which is surreal. Potentially good combat in an AC game. What a time to be alive.

They also have a lite HUD mode. It's amazing.

In Origins?

Can we quick swap it on and off like in Unity?

One of Unity's best features.

Yes they do. Why not have a read?

Quests are now more ARPG in structure. Like Horizon. Multiple can be active at once, you can leave them active and do something else then come back. Generally more side quest/main quest structure like an RPG. You swap between playing two protagonists, husband and wife.

Gameplay wise... Seriously have a read. Combat overhauled to be challenging, dangerous, more level based. Enemies attack all at once so you have to crowd manage and positioning matters. Completely new combat controls. Eagle now provides UAV-style power. More systemic stuff like Far Cry/Zelda - animals, multiple factions, elements combining in battles. Loot and secrets/tomb raiding/exploration tie into level based gear, upgrades, progression.

Seriously. Have a read.

I don't think the combat translates well on screen. Every written preview I've read of it says it's excellent.

Which is surreal. Potentially good combat in an AC game. What a time to be alive.

In Origins?

Can we quick swap it on and off like in Unity?

One of Unity's best features.

This official? I remember reading (just earlier actually)that you only play the wife on specific missions. It didn't sound like you constantly swap back and forth though. Is it two protags like syndicate?

IKizzLE

Already looks better than Horizon IMO. Can't wait!

Highly debatable, especially on consoles. Will be interesting to see once it launches.
This might be my first AC since Brotherhood. Everything here has gotten me excited and impressions from Gamescom are really positive so far.

SomTervo

This official? I remember reading (just earlier actually)that you only play the wife on specific missions. It didn't sound like you constantly swap back and forth though. Is it two protags like syndicate?

I didn't necessarily mean you swap back and forth at will. Any time you take control of the wife it's literally a swap. I think it is only for certain missions. I was contextualising the gameplay in that.

I didn't necessarily mean you swap back and forth at will. Any time you take control of the wife it's literally a swap. I think it is only for certain missions. I was contextualising the gameplay in that.

Oh, ok. No sweat. I wasn't sure if it was a two protag situation like syndicate. Thanks for clarifying.

statham

ComplicatedBruisedGrackle.gif

Fucking amazing. Just wondering how much of that is playable though.

Holy Crap! that looks insanely awesome.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Looking good, though the Game Informer footage is pure trash. Person playing is absolutely terrible and making the most obvious mistakes that it actually hurts to watch.

I skipped around and found some combat footage, I don't like the combat damage numbers so I hope they can be turned off. Otherwise combat looks okay, needs some more polish but feels a bit more weight driven and enemies aren't as bad as earlier titles with the whole waiting to attack.

Overall I'm keen, Syndicate was amazing in my and my partner's books so we are interested to see how Egypt is tackled.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Wait, so Memphis was amazing but there's actually a bigger city than that in this game?

I feel like I'll be lost in Alexandria. Those 'Nomes' look gigantic as well.

Crazy. This makes Horizon looks like a playground.
They weren't kidding when they said they basically built a country. :D

EDIT:This kill tho

pakkit

Banned
genuinely interested in this one. open world egypt and the genuine changes to the controls/combat are all sounding good. the only thing that bothers me is that they reskinned the drone in watch dogs 2 as an eagle even tho that makes absolutely no sense gamewise.

Theorry

genuinely interested in this one. open world egypt and the genuine changes to the controls/combat are all sounding good. the only thing that bothers me is that they reskinned the drone in watch dogs 2 as an eagle even tho that makes absolutely no sense gamewise.

Its the first eagle vision tho. :D

It's literal eagle vision

Harlequin

Wait, so Memphis was amazing but there's actually a bigger city than that in this game?

I feel like I'll be lost in Alexandria. Those 'Nomes' look gigantic as well.

Crazy. This makes Horizon looks like a playground.

And keep in mind that the game's version of Alexandria is actually way smaller than the real Alexandria was back then. It was a huge city.

They weren't kidding when they said they basically built a country. :D

I really hated the combat when I first saw it, but it's growing on me. The fact that weapons actually seem distinct and have different combat purposes rather than just being about what animations do you like the best is a great improvement, and your fighting still seems fast and skillful.

I really liked AC3's combat, mainly because it was just Batman combat and made you feel like a fluid unstoppable assassin. But this looks like you actually need to use skill to play well, and the kills still look brutal and stylish

SomTervo

you personally liking them has nothing to do with the fact that they advertised the pc version of every game i listed with fake footage, buillshit trailers

... we were talking about bullshots? I was saying that people don't trust them in general because of how they did stuff during those years. You just increased the window with posting "2009-2016". That clause wasn't specifically about bullshots.

SJRB

Gold Member
What's this I read about beard growth, is that a thing in this game?

Any pics of the beard? Because that would be awesome.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Those HQ videos are lit.

And keep in mind that the game's version of Alexandria is actually way smaller than the real Alexandria was back then. It was a huge city.

Yeah, that's obvious. We're still a long way in experiencing a real world city size in gaming.

I might have to buy this videogame, would be my first AC game since 2 but im not 100% sold yet, people still walking around with an arrow in the head looks weird...

Will defintely wait for reviews but so far not bad.

Weird? I see people walking around like that every October. :p

Altairre

Look at this Dark Souls parry yo. That dude got fucking rekt. I also love how anime the charge up of the special move looks, only thing missing is him saying some catchphrase while doing it. Was really underwhelmed with the gameplay reveal but they've been winning me over slowly but surely. Might buy this day 1.

emag

Not sure if I should get this at launch on PS4 or wait until I upgrade my video card to Volta (and the game gets a few rounds of patches and price drops).

Quests are now more ARPG in structure. Like Horizon. Multiple can be active at once, you can leave them active and do something else then come back.

I'm not particularly fond of Horizon, but one thing I liked about the game was how easy it was to see and switch between [in]active quests in the current area (IIRC, the quest list had distances to the next location for each quest). I hope AC Origins adopts a similar system, whether by listing quest location distances or by allowing selection/activation of inactive quest markers from the map itself.

... we were talking about bullshots? I was saying that people don't trust them in general because of how they did stuff during those years. You just increased the window with posting "2009-2016". That clause wasn't specifically about bullshots.

the original post was strictly about visuals, so yes

Is the game really that good looking or is your typical ubisoft bullshot?

Come the fuck on. AC Unity is one of the best looking games to-date in history and didn't have a single bullshot IIRC. Maybe there are IQ things on screens, but if anything it looked better than its screenshots in-action.

Ghost Recon Wildlands is one of the best looking games this year.

You can watch actual live videos of AC Origins posted in the OP to this very fucking thread and see 1080p footage where it looks this good.

Ubisoft are technical geniuses. Their games have rough edges but I can't think of a time they recently bullshotted. You might need PC to hit these screenshots but please don't throw out this bullshot bullshit.

i then reminded you that they have bullshotted the pc version of 5 titles recently using trailers comprised of completely fabricated footage right around launch. technical geniuses is not how id describe ubisoft. how many years and broken iterations did it take for them to even code a properly functioning taa? even nvidia middleware and staff on site wasnt enough

looks pretty good, I still think the Combat looks crap but i'm open to change.

It's not exactly great. I have a problem with how it poorly flows from movement into combat. Previous entries combat transitions felt and looked more natural.

I think the combat will feel good, and it will be more consistent in terms of enjoyment.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
New shop system looking pretty seamless™
JlooHyg.gif

And already a GoT reference with the name Needle and it's description. <3

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Weird? I see people walking around like that every October. :p

it looks weird when people get stabbed multiple times and still have half of the health bar left.... this works in a Souls game were you fight monsters but here with humans it's weird af.

Auctopus

i then reminded you that they have bullshotted the pc version of 5 titles recently using trailers comprised of completely fabricated footage right around launch. technical geniuses is not how id describe ubisoft.

Wildlands looks amazing even on base PS4, whether they used bullshots in marketing or not.

It also has one of the best weather systems I've played with in a game.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
For those who have played the game, I have a few questions -

1. Can you turn off the compass that's at the top of the screen?
2. Can you ignore/not use the Eagle at all in the game or are you required to do so?
3. Can you turn off the text that appears in the middle of the screen?
4. Is the health bar the one at the bottom of the screen that looks like little boxes?

Thanks.

watched the gamersyde videos. looks pretty good visually excluding the still meh animations. i think they should have devoted a bit more gpu time to the main character since you see him all the time center screen. he looks straight out of black flag quality wise

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
For those who have played the game, I have a few questions -

1. Can you turn off the compass that's at the top of the screen?
2. Can you ignore/not use the Eagle at all in the game or are you required to do so?
3. Can you turn off the text that appears in the middle of the screen?
4. Is the health bar the one at the bottom of the screen that looks like little boxes?

Thanks.

I've not played the game, but I can say that you're correct about the health bar.

it looks weird when people get stabbed multiple times and still have half of the health bar left.... this works in a Souls game were you fight monsters but here with humans it's weird af.
Armor and adrenaline?

And considering the descriptions of ancient battle and combat, I feel like it makes some sense

Top Bottom