• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Rogue [First screens]

Castcoder

Banned
Is this Comet?

A Comet in the game industry is a side-game-- something that isn't quite a sequel. For example: Borderlands 2 is a full game, where the Pre-Sequel is a comet. Arkham Origins is also an example of a Comet. A comet is basically a placeholder average consumers would not see, so congrats, you managed to see an internal name that normally isn't publicly released.

See the original Destiny release plan to see what I mean, but that image is getting hard to find.

Curufinwe

Ubisoft's AAA production teams treat female characters poorly.
ACIV:
Mary Read dies, after being captured and taken to prison - which Edward was apparently able to escape from.

She
died from infection after being forced to give birth in a cesspool of a prison. Read also died in prison in real life.
The fact you are using it to claim Ubisoft treats female chracaters poorly is completely ridiculous.

ttech10

That's true, but I'm sure they could've re-used many of the assets from previous Unity CG trailers.

Yes, that's true. But it doesn't change the fact that the only real prominent female characters in Ubi's games are written like that.

WD Spoilers:
Clara = a bitch, T-Bone = cool bro - because Ubi wrote them in such a way that you are disposed to like T-Bone and likely to hate Clara because she betrays you.

I have to completely disagree with that.
I liked Clara, despite what she did. She didn't know what would happen and was obviously sorry (unlike every single male character in the game). T-Bone is probably the only major male character in the game they didn't write into hating (Maurice may be an exception, depending on how sympathetic the player is).

My brain also isn't working too great in trying to remember all the characters from past AC games, but I guarantee not every prominent female character in Ubi games are like that. You have Ezio's sister Claudia who actually took control over the Assassin's Order and Rebecca Crane (who I don't think needs to be described).

She
died from infection after being forced to give birth in a cesspool of a prison. Read also died in prison in real life.
The fact you are using it to claim Ubisoft treats female chracaters poorly is completely ridiculous.
Yes, and Connor Kenway was responsible for the American Revolution. Which is why his photo is on $ bills.

Suddenly using historical accuracy to defend Ubisoft is a weak excuse considering how many liberties they take with it.

ahm998

Even if there is hiding games for Wii U i think because Iwata very sick lately nintendo can't announced anything in Direct.

They will wait until Iwata become good maybe.

Heh, this thread makes it abundantly clear why publishers hate leaks.

You get just enough to not have anything to talk about, and you end up with...whatever tghm1801 is doing.

Banned
Beat liberation HD and will buy this along with unity on PC. Three AC games in a year lol. Fuck me. I'm not helping either.

Curufinwe

Yes, and Connor Kenway was responsible for the American Revolution. Which is why his photo is on $ bills.

Suddenly using historical accuracy to defend Ubisoft is a weak excuse considering how many liberties they take with it.

Claiming that one of the two female characters who were imprisoned for piracy in AC4 dying in prison is an example of Ubisoft treating women badly is utterly ridiculous. The other woman survives and resumes her pirating career.

theDeeDubs

Would buy both but I'm going to wait and see if this gets ported early next year. If the milk is good, I don't mind the milking.

10552600_429282167213pmq4j.jpg

Looks like they are going with the Templar side of the story! Leaks were right? I'm looking forward to this.

Also tired of AC threads being filled with haters. If you don't want it, don't buy. Start a new thread. This is a game that we don't know anything about yet.

AHA-Lambda

A Comet in the game industry is a side-game-- something that isn't quite a sequel. For example: Borderlands 2 is a full game, where the Pre-Sequel is a comet. Arkham Origins is also an example of a Comet. A comet is basically a placeholder average consumers would not see, so congrats, you managed to see an internal name that normally isn't publicly released.

See the original Destiny release plan to see what I mean, but that image is getting hard to find.

Huh, I never knew that. Does corroborate that one of the Destiny expansions was known as Comet in the legal documents.

zkorejo

A templar protagonist sounds interesting but I am not sure I will be able to play it after experiencing Unity. This should have been released in the summer.

hohoXD123

In terms of Lucy,
they could've got a new VA and kept her face the same - it's possible to map motion capture prompts onto a different face. See Avatar. Also, while her betrayal may have been justified, she was still the only major female character in a series that is mostly populated by dudes. So it was shitty of them to kill her off in such a character-tarnishing way.
As for Mary, AC has taken plenty of liberties with history. Connor throughout the whole of AC3 is pretty much the sole reason the revolution was successful.
WD is not Assassin's Creed. But I would say now we're talking about Ubi's general shitty treatment of female chars in their AAA games.

I'm glad you felt that way, but unfortunately I saw a lot on the internet about how much people
hated Clara, and when that concept art appeared for alternate Claras, people said they would much rather Ubi had gone with the big-boobied, luscious locks version.
Isn't the fact that they didn't go with one of these alternate versions and instead went with a fairly unique design for Clara proof that Ubisoft isn't this misogynistic company you're trying to portray them as?

Isn't the fact that they didn't go with one of these alternate versions and instead went with a fairly unique design for Clara proof that Ubisoft isn't this misogynistic company you're trying to portray them as?
It would be, if WD didn't feature both important female characters as
plot points who died to cause Aiden pain. Aiden's niece, Clara.
(WD spoilers)

Pyrrhus

In terms of Lucy,
they could've got a new VA and kept her face the same - it's possible to map motion capture prompts onto a different face. See Avatar. Also, while her betrayal may have been justified, she was still the only major female character in a series that is mostly populated by dudes. So it was shitty of them to kill her off in such a character-tarnishing way.
As for Mary, AC has taken plenty of liberties with history. Connor throughout the whole of AC3 is pretty much the sole reason the revolution was successful.

The face of the Lucy Stillman character is Kristen Bell's face. If she did not want to do the project anymore, I don't see why she would want them to use her likeness and hire a sound-alike to voice it. It dilutes her brand, so to speak. It's also additional overhead costs if Ubisoft keep her in the plot, as they would then have to license her likeness for all future appearances and likely give her some sort of approval on the story when she would be otherwise uninvolved and meanwhile Ubisoft would have to hire other people to voice and mocap her at still additional expense.

Plus, it's pretty standard to kill off a character when an actor leaves a project under strained circumstances. Just look at what they did with Bell's character in Deadwood when somebody's agent tried to get too aggressive with pay negotiations.
(They had a character she tried to rob tie her to a chair, beat her till she had brain damage, and then shoot her in the head.)
Or how show handlers for Grey's Anatomy dealt Katherine Heigl's character in Grey's Anatomy when she decided to fuck off in the middle of a plot arc to become a movie star. It's not at all unlikely the AC story pivot was a similar situation.

Long story short, the Lucy story stuff isn't their fault and even then they handled it in a pretty restrained way given how these things normally go.

Altairre

It's called having principles. If they didn't come up with that canned excuse about "masculinity" and what have you, it wouldn't be so bad. Just like how Ubisoft made it worse with their "women are hard to animate" bullshit.

Women aren't even considered as a possible main protagonist in the Big Three Publishers. Sure, they'll "test the waters" with budget side titles, but God forbid they make the lead of their big game for the year a woman. It is just as stupid as animation studios not wanting a female lead because they don't think that boys will watch the show and buy the toys (toy companies are even worse, see Korra for this issue).

I for one want well written characters in story driven games and couldn't give less of a fuck if they're black, white, male, female or whatever. Aiden Pearce is a male white protagonist and he's also terribly written. It wouldn't be better or worse if he was female. Do I think that women are underrepresented in video games? Yes. Do I wish there was more variety in video game protagonists? Yes because it makes for a more nuanced story telling and opens up new possibilities. However I will never disregard a game soley due to the gender of its protagonist but rather judge it on its own merits. I agree with you that the excuses the companies made were terrible though.

The face of the Lucy Stillman character is Kristen Bell's face. If she did not want to do the project anymore, I don't see why she would want them to use her likeness and hire a sound-alike to voice it. It dilutes her brand, so to speak. It's also additional overhead costs if Ubisoft keep her in the plot, as they would then have to license her likeness for all future appearances and likely give her some sort of approval on the story when she would be otherwise uninvolved and meanwhile Ubisoft would have to hire other people to voice and mocap her at still additional expense.

Plus, it's pretty standard to kill off a character when an actor leaves a project under strained circumstances. Just look at what they did with Bell's character in Deadwood when somebody's agent tried to get too aggressive with pay negotiations.
(They had a character she tried to rob tie her to a chair, beat her till she had brain damage, and then shoot her in the head.)
Or how show handlers for Grey's Anatomy dealt Katherine Heigl's character in Grey's Anatomy when she decided to fuck off in the middle of a plot arc to become a movie star. It's not at all unlikely the AC story pivot was a similar situation.

Long story short, the Lucy story stuff isn't their fault and even then they handled it in a pretty restrained way given how these things normally go.
I agree that KB wanting out is a bit of a tough issue, but they could've found a way to write her out that didn't involve her
betraying the PC and then getting killed for it, only having her story explained in a very ephemeral way.

Oh my god, what is so hard for you to grasp in the idea that I don't want every single game to star a woman/non white protag and that not all companies are doing what Ubi is doing?
I am not going to respond to any more of your posts.
Ignore the person who called you out on your hypocrisy, makes sense

KJRS_1993

(WD spoilers)

You're ridiculously keen on trying to push this "Oh noes, Ubisoft hates women!" agenda.
Ubisoft are just fine, stop being daft. None of my female friends felt like Clara was part of a top secret plan to bash women.

With that being said, I would love to have a female Assassin as the protagonist in a main game and not just a side story. I think most people would as well.

I was kinda hoping this was going to be cancelled, or the rumors weren't true. I don't want to play on my PS3 anymore. But I love AC games, and I love arctic settings and most of all I love AC multiplayer, which this will have, which Ubi decided to leave out of Unity.

That's 3 AC games this year, Liberation HD which I bought and haven't played yet, now unity and rogue. They need to cool it.

Dang0

I got a link for the leaked trailer. Its crap offscreen quality, the audios unhearable and it buffers every 5 seaconds but i'll pm the link to anyone who wants it, since it'll probably get taken down if i post it.

woen

They don't change or falsify facts, especially big facts such as the death of a character who existed. Connor is a fictional character, you're off topic. They followed the biography of her life, period. Try not to be too partial here, it makes your argument distorted. (i.e. Bashing Ubisoft and the games without understanding the plot, the characters and the storytelling kills your "fight" for women representation in videogame)

Historically speaking, Middle Eastern people have been considered Caucasoid
Yeah, and if you read the article, there is a lot of debate over whether Caucasoid/Caucasian means "white". It specifically mentions that while Europeans can often be considered white, it was harder to classify other "Caucasians" as also white.

They don't change or falsify facts, especially big facts such as the death of a character who existed. Connor is a fictional character, you're off topic. They followed the biography of her life, period. Try not to be too partial here, it makes your argument distorted. (i.e. Bashing Ubisoft and the games without understanding the plot, the characters and the storytelling kills your "fight" for women representation in videogame)
I understand the plot, characters and storytelling of every Ubisoft game I've played recently, thanks.
It doesn't change the fact that Ubi treats other female characters poorly, their reasons for not including female PCs in Unity were piss-poor excuses, and the fact that they have ANOTHER AC game coming out this year starring yet another white dude is starting to push it.

Edit: also lol @ UBi not changing history. If I remember correctly, Brotherhood didn't end with
Cesare taking a spear to the chest before having his body disrespected, but rather with Cesare falling off a cliff at the hands of Ezio.
Source

10552600_429282167213pmq4j.jpg

Looks like they are going with the Templar side of the story! Leaks were right? I'm looking forward to this.

Also tired of AC threads being filled with haters. If you don't want it, don't buy. Start a new thread. This is a game that we don't know anything about yet.

I'd really like to know more about this game. This screenshot looks way more interesting than everything I've seen from AC: Unity so far. I hope we get to play as a Templar proper this time. The character design looks good, too.

TheCloser

Banned
oh hey another white dude as the main protagonist
Can we stop with this nonsense. What's wrong with the main character being white? As someone who isn't white, I don't have a problem with this. How fun a game is should be the main deciding factor when buying a game and not the color of his skin.

ttech10

(WD spoilers)

So what does it say about Ubisoft that they have so many men in their games that
exist only backstab the main character and make their life miserable?
If they hate women because of the things you say make them hate women, they must absolutely despise men.

Why are you singling out the ways Ubisoft treats women in their games when they treat male characters the same way? I didn't see you criticizing Ubisoft for, in Black Flag,
having Blackbeard cause trouble for Edward in taking hostages for medicine, retiring as a pirate leaving Edward behind and then having Ubisoft kill him off in order to cause even more grief to Edward. Not to mention the other men in the game that turn against Edward in favor of the Templars.
Then in Brotherhood, Ubisoft
kills Uncle Mario, a character they wrote you into liking in the previous game.
In AC:III they have you
finding the dead body of Achilles and then force you to dig his grave.

Three examples there of where they "used" men in the same way you're criticizing Ubisoft for "using" women. It seems to be clear you're not bothered by reason and don't care to discuss this any further, both because I have other things to worry about and this isn't the thread for this. If you want to respond, do so in a PM.

On topic... Am I the only one put off from this game because of the journey back to piracy? I'm really looking forward to Unity because of the return to a large, established city. Playing as a Templar does sound intriguing, though.

malfcn

Maybe they are going to Shadow Moses to relive Snakes memories.

Really like the series, but this is alot. One game a year was pushing it. But now two..

ButchCat

Historically speaking, Middle Eastern people were a lot darker. Hence why there's a lot of discussion about if Jesus were black or white, with most scientific theories siding that he wouldn't have been white enough to be considered "white".
Sorry to break it to you, but Levant was home to the Phoenicians (historically known for their fair skin) and Canaanites far before the Arabization of the region. Anyway the cultural diversity of this region predates any of the Abrahamic religions for you to generalize them under the same umbrella

Foffy

Banned
I acknowledge that TR sold well and that SE was being silly. But when a publisher comes out and says their game underperformed, and it just so happens to be one of the only high profile releases that year starring a female lead, people are bound to listen.

The fact it starred a female had nothing to do with it underperforming, though. Assuming so is just conjecture, and it takes a leap in hypotheticals to feel that is so for said franchise. It sounds more like agenda pushing.

angelicshadow

Neo Member
*squints* This isn't a backstory concerning Haytham, is it? He was such a badass mofo in AC3 (the best part of 3, in my opinion). "Rogue" could very well refer to
the fact he is a rogue Assassin that defected from the Templars during his youth'.

Please let it be him! *hopes*

The fact it starred a female had nothing to do with it underperforming, though. Assuming so is just conjecture, and it takes a leap in hypotheticals to feel that is so for said franchise. It sounds more like agenda pushing.
Lol you don't say?

Mary Read is a strong female character whose adoption of a male persona in a male-dominated environment makes a feminist statement. She also serves as the main character's conscience and helps turn him towards the right path.

But they didn't change history to make her escape prison and so Ubisoft hates women. Smh.

Top Bottom