• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Rogue [First screens]

UrbanRats

*squints* This isn't a backstory concerning Haytham, is it? He was such a badass mofo in AC3 (the best part of 3, in my opinion). "Rogue" could very well refer to
the fact he is a rogue Assassin that defected from the Templars during his youth'.

Please let it be him! *hopes*

That actually sounds plausible.

I'd really like to know more about this game. This screenshot looks way more interesting than everything I've seen from AC: Unity so far. I hope we get to play as a Templar proper this time. The character design looks good, too.

Right? The vibes I'm getting from the trailer and past leaks indicate that we'll play as a Templar (except for those that are morally opposed and will abstain) that hunts assassins. Awesome.

*squints* This isn't a backstory concerning Haytham, is it? He was such a badass mofo in AC3 (the best part of 3, in my opinion). "Rogue" could very well refer to
the fact he is a rogue Assassin that defected from the Templars during his youth'.

Didn't they say they wanted to do a Kenway trilogy? Or did that include the book?

Krakn3Dfx

Icy locations and more ships? Sign me up, Unity footage so far has been pretty ho-hum for me, but this actually looks like a game I'd play.

Maybe they are going to Shadow Moses to relive Snakes memories.

Really like the series, but this is alot. One game a year was pushing it. But now two..
XS5LK.gif

So what does it say about Ubisoft that they have so many men in their games that
exist only backstab the main character and make their life miserable?
If they hate women because of the things you say make them hate women, they must absolutely despise men.

Why are you singling out the ways Ubisoft treats women in their games when they treat male characters the same way? I didn't see you criticizing Ubisoft for, in Black Flag,
having Blackbeard cause trouble for Edward in taking hostages for medicine, retiring as a pirate leaving Edward behind and then having Ubisoft kill him off in order to cause even more grief to Edward. Not to mention the other men in the game that turn against Edward in favor of the Templars.
Then in Brotherhood, Ubisoft
kills Uncle Mario, a character they wrote you into liking in the previous game.
In AC:III they have you
finding the dead body of Achilles and then force you to dig his grave.

Three examples there of where they "used" men in the same way you're criticizing Ubisoft for "using" women. It seems to be clear you're not bothered by reason and don't care to discuss this any further, both because I have other things to worry about and this isn't the thread for this. If you want to respond, do so in a PM.

On topic... Am I the only one put off from this game because of the journey back to piracy? I'm really looking forward to Unity because of the return to a large, established city. Playing as a Templar does sound intriguing, though.
Because they have a range of male characters and typically one or two women per game. So then having minorities do horrible things to the white male PC... great way to write.

Anyway, I'm off to do something else now. This thread was fun.

I really wish the current gen and last gen versions were flipped. This looks so much more interesting to me than Unity. I am sure a ton of people are excited for Paris, but Pirates just float my boat (bad pun). Just put that new/revised climbing down a wall parkour from Unity in it.

YES. I loved Black Flag so much. I 100% that and will do it again with this! Is this being handled by another studio or is Ubisoft making it too?
I loved the naval combat (as much as I think Ubi should make it a separate franchise).
Day one. For Unity and Rogue. : D

Were there many black ship captains around the time the game is set?

Should they put a black female as the protagonist despite the time period and setting just to please people like yourself?

Seriously getting sick of comments like this, if they want to tell a story about a white dude sailing in the arctic then that is their prerogative, do you whine when the latest Michael Bay film comes out and has a white male lead with a female that is there just to look pretty?

Blacks made up between 25% - 30% of the Piracy community during their most active years as well as quite a few of them being whalers. Issue is, that most would never be identified correctly because in the 17th century it was assumed they were slaves and that the whites were in charge. So the white people were executed and the blacks sold into slavery. And some (such as Laurens de Graff) simply was not reported as black so the slave populations would not get any ideas. 400 blacks were executed as pirates later on in the 18th century (remember they were sold in the 17th) but truth is you should see blacks in a lot of historical tales about piracy. Hell... Port Royale is in Jamaica.

So alot of the movies and games that portray a specific time period an place that is devoid of blacks entirely does nothing to help the perception that somehow all of the black population at a specific time were only slaves. It is a really common thing that I noticed some have developed when discussing historical topics.

ironcreed

Banned
This needs to be on the new systems. Black Flag actually got me back into the series with it's fresh open world at sea and pirate theme. But seeing Unity and it's seeming return to more of the same old, same old did nothing but leave me wanting. It's the opposite of what I want.

Orayn

Blacks made up between 25% - 30% of the Piracy community during their most active years as well as quite a few of them being whalers. Issue is, that most would never be identified correctly because in the 17th century it was assumed they were slaves and that the whites were in charge. So the white people were executed and the blacks sold into slavery. And some (such as Laurens de Graff) simply was not reported as black so the slave populations would not get any ideas. 400 blacks were executed as pirates later on in the 18th century (remember they were sold in the 17th) but truth is you should see blacks in a lot of historical tales about piracy. Hell... Port Royale is in Jamaica.

So alot of the movies and games that portray a specific time period an place that is devoid of blacks entirely does nothing to help the perception that somehow all of the black population at a specific time were only slaves. It is a really common thing that I noticed some have developed when discussing historical topics.

Sounds like it's almost the same situation as with cowboys: There's a popular perception that the presence of black people would be a modern, unrealistic "PC" contrivance, when in fact the opposite is true. History was more diverse than fiction.

dcx4610

Is there any doubt that Ubisoft is going to release this again on PS4/XB1/PC as an "HD" version a year from now?

Jimrpg

if they are going to make two different games, why not make them both in the same setting

and make the last gen version the prequel. have the last gen version in say marseille and the current gen in paris

AFAIK, every important facet of Haytham's life has been covered by a novel.

ButchCat

So you are playing as a pirate hunter (red sales) who is also a Templar. Yeah I think I'll stick with Unity for the time being.

That title. They might as well have named it Assassin's Creed: Assassin.

There's another in this thread who said something similar to yours and I was confused about how an assassin resembles a rogue at all in meaning. Then I realized that both of you must be thinking about RPG classes or some such.

Galava

Ubi please, release this also on PC...

Did they tell us the year in which the game is going to take place? Seems XIX for me...

ironcreed

Banned
Which city is this?
Looks like Copenaghen

image_assassin_s_creed_rogue-25844-3042_0003.jpg

New York. More details for you:

Cast off in your ship, The Morrigan, and fight your way through the icy seas of the North Atlantic and the narrow waters of America's river valleys. Assassin's Creed Rogue builds on the award-winning naval experience from Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag with all new gameplay including:

New enemy tactics: Defend yourself from Assassins as they attempt to board your ship and overthrow your crew. Fight them off quickly to avoid losing too many crew members.
New weapons such as burning oil, which leaves a trail of fire behind to burn enemy ships, and the puckle gun, capable of delivering continuous machine gun-like fire.
An arctic world full of possibilities: Ram through ice sheets to discover hidden locations and use icebergs as cover during naval battles.
Vast, diverse open world to explore

Shay's story will allow you to explore three unique environments.

The North Atlantic Ocean: Experience the cold winds and towering icebergs of the arctic in this expansive naval playground.
The River Valley: A large hybrid setting of the American Frontier mixing seamless river navigation and ground exploration.
New York City: One of the most well-known cities in the world, fully recreated as it existed in the 18th century.

Top Bottom