• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Syndicate Info Dump

Another reason why Quebec is leading the development this time is so that Montreal gets an extra year. Looking forward to it.

Both characters get their own specific story missions.

But is there an uneven split?
I can see ubi giving evie the cold shoulder with a pathetic 70/30 story mission divide or some nonsense.

oni-link

That would be a very risky move on Ubisoft's part. The Japanese already did some great stealth assassin games years ago with Tenchu etc and are absolutely not going to want a foreign company pissing all over a heritage which many of them take extremely seriously.

If they did would you say it would be like shooting themselves in the foot?

I mean I don't know that much about Japanese culture (I'm not an expert) but I hear honor and shame are huge parts of it

DOWN

Banned
Unity didn't have a night and day cycle?
No, it has multiple pre-rendered times of day in order to incorporate great global illumination. It used atmospheric effects like weather, clouds, fog, and color grading to give it a sense of change without actually changing the time of day itself.

jem0208

No, it has multiple pre-rendered times of day in order to incorporate great global illumination. It used atmospheric effects like weather, clouds, fog, and color grading to give it a sense of change without actually changing the time of day itself.
Fair enough. Was a pretty effective method imo, game looked bloody gorgeous.

Well if this theory presented in this thread
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=980738&highlight=q
is correct, next year is an Asian setting. And guess who Ubisoft recently hired...http://blog.ubi.com/vin-hill-interview/
sitebg.jpg

Yeaaah this image alone makes it easier for me to skip this years AC.

I've been waiting for a Japan AC what feels like forever.

Syndicate looks ok but a little to samey for my liking.

Kazdane

I'm among the small group of people (seemingly) that enjoy every AC game that comes out every year and I'm having a blast with them. I did skip most of the collectibles in Unity (because the map was just overloaded) but I enjoyed Rogue and Unity immensely, and I'm expecting the same with Syndicate.

Hoje0308

Banned
I'm actually interested in this, but have no idea when I'll actually get to it. Q4 of this year and Q1 of next are filled with a good number of titles and at least a few of them are guaranteed time sinks. Probably won't be buying a Ubi title other than R6 this year, unless they finally unveil a pirate game at E3.

Ramenman

Another reason why Quebec is leading the development this time is so that Montreal gets an extra year. Looking forward to it.

Do we have a source for that ? Because I don't think that's true.

As far as I understand, AC dev is like Call Of Duty dev ie : one game per year but 3 different teams, meaning each game always has 3 years dev.

So no, Quebec leading this one doesn't mean Montreal "gets an extra year", unless specified otherwise.

So since there is different "AC teams" within the 2000 or so people at Ubisoft Montreal (even though they probably aren't so 100% "separate teams" and there's bound to be overlap and ramp-ups/ramp-downs as the projects development run they course), the way it would go would be that the AC coming out next year has been worked on for 3 years, starting right after Black Flag, and the fact that Quebec is lead on this one wouldn't change anything really (there's probably a sizeable portion of Montreal helping with this one too, since AC games are always split over every ubisoft studio known and unknown to man).

Volotaire

A bit strange that they chose a year that was a definite marked time period after the general consensus on the British Industrial Revolution (1750 to 1840) and marked the start of age of British economic decline relative to the US. I suppose I'm asking too much out of historical accuracy relative to the literature however.

BloodR0se

If they did would you say it would be like shooting themselves in the foot?

I mean I don't know that much about Japanese culture (I'm not an expert) but I hear honor and shame are huge parts of it

It would go down about as well with the Japanese as something like The Last Samurai or Memoirs of a Geisha did.

IMHO, for as long as Japanese studios exist, Ubisoft have no business making that sort of game and I fail to see why they think they could do it better than a Japanese developer could.

Ramenman

I can see ubi giving evie the cold shoulder with a pathetic 70/30 story mission divide or some nonsense.

I think what kotaku said (leak, not official info) was uneven split in story missions, but secondary missions can be played by either of the characters.

So think something like Batman/Catwoman in Arkham City but with the additional fact that you could complete all side content and side-missions with Catwoman, so in the end it's pretty much you who decide the overall "split" each character has in terms of game time. Kind of like GTA also.

I don't really see how this is "nonsense", (aside from the fact that being mad at Ubisoft is faster and easier and more generally accepted than getting mad at Rocksteady or Rockstar of course).

It's the story and place of the characters and overall design that decides how much "story mission time" is given to the characters (like batman really, or GTA V, do we know if each character has the same amount of story missions ? and don't give me "but you can switch !" most of the time you can't unless you're told to).
It's not a "male shepard / female shepard" situation, they're 2 separate characters.

Now I fully expect to personally not like the story due to putting to much emphasis on the character I like the less, but that's another thing than calling "cheap ubi bullshit" or whatev.

UrbanRats

I'm really cold on this one, despite having clamored so much for this setting, in past years (it looks pretty bad to me), but this could be a big deal, depending on how it's implemented:

-There's no longer a hard cover system: there's now a more modern soft cover system that results in more fluid stealth compared to Unity.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Unity was the first AC I didn't buy at launch because of the bugs and framerate. If Syndicate isn't as bug ridden, I'm in day one again. Just live the series. #partoftheproblem

Oh, and here is me hoping that they include an overarching modern day storyline again.

BloodR0se

I've been waiting for a Japan AC what feels like forever.

Why? As I said, Tenchu already exists.

Ubisoft made a game set during the French Revolution last year and gave everyone British accents. I shudder to think what they would do to a similar game set in feudal Japan.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Rumor is 75/25 split between story missions.

Do we have a source for that ? Because I don't think that's true.

As far as I understand, AC dev is like Call Of Duty dev ie : one game per year but 3 different teams, meaning each game always has 3 years dev.

So no, Quebec leading this one doesn't mean Montreal "gets an extra year", unless specified otherwise.

So since there is different "AC teams" within the 2000 or so people at Ubisoft Montreal (even though they probably aren't so 100% "separate teams" and there's bound to be overlap and ramp-ups/ramp-downs as the projects development run they course), the way it would go would be that the AC coming out next year has been worked on for 3 years, starting right after Black Flag, and the fact that Quebec is lead on this one wouldn't change anything really (there's probably a sizeable portion of Montreal helping with this one too, since AC games are always split over every ubisoft studio known and unknown to man).
http://www.vg247.com/2014/11/12/assassins-creed-unity-ubisoft-montreal-quebec-time/
“For Montreal, this decision gives us more time. We’ve released a lot of Assassin’s Creed games in Montreal every year and sometimes we wish we had more time to make decisions and experiment on stuff,” he said.

What’s particularly interesting is that Raynaud said giving the lead to Quebec occasionally will give Ubisoft Montreal breathing room to experiment, potentially taking the series in new directions.

“For Montreal, this decision gives us more time. We’ve released a lot of Assassin’s Creed games in Montreal every year and sometimes we wish we had more time to make decisions and experiment on stuff,” he said.

Ubi Quebec also isn't the sole studio working on this entry, they're the lead studio, eight other Ubi studios are helping with the game.

UrbanRats

Also reduced latency in combat, well thank Christ, that made Unity almost unplayable for me.

Maybe they'll get there, in another 5 or 6 entries!

DOWN

Banned
Rumor is 75/25 split between story missions.
I'm sure it isn't something they would admit, but I wouldn't be surprised if she wasn't originally playable during the story and her missions came as an effort to remedy the bad press for having no females a year ago.

oni-link

It would go down about as well with the Japanese as something like The Last Samurai or Memoirs of a Geisha did.

IMHO, for as long as Japanese studios exist, Ubisoft have no business making that sort of game and I fail to see why they think they could do it better than a Japanese developer could.

What? Since when have games studios only been able to make games based on their own country/culture/history without causing offensive?

Do you think the Assassin's Creed games set outside of France were cultural insensitive as well?

Foshy

That would be a very risky move on Ubisoft's part. The Japanese already did some great stealth assassin games years ago with Tenchu etc and are absolutely not going to want a foreign company pissing all over a heritage which many of them take extremely seriously.

lol are you serious

That is such a bullshit-looking render image. Looks like it was rendered in 3D Studio Max for a student project. What is going on with that game!? Everything they've shown so far has not even reached the level of presentation quality as past games. Looks a bit amateurish for such a AAA title. And I'm an AC fan.

Is it 1080p?

Does it actually run well?

I don't know man, I loved Black Flag but Unity was a massive letdown for me. I'm afraid of Syndicate being too similar to Unity from that gameplay they showed at the reveal. I'm interested to see more but I'm very cautious this time around.
While all the details posted by our Ubi insider sound great all of the above are my concerns. Unity was dogshit after the masterpiece Black Flag. Really hoping for a surprise here but that alpha video did not look promising. Also 1080p...is it?

Why? As I said, Tenchu already exists.

Ubisoft made a game set during the French Revolution last year and gave everyone British accents. I shudder to think what they would do to a similar game set in feudal Japan.

Yeah that's great for Tenchu fans but I've never played the game nor is a new version coming out for PS4.

I just want some Assassins Creed set in fuedal Japan.
The setting+gameplay+weapons would be glorious.

They have to use the right accents this time though lol.

Haunted

I play them every year and generally love the series, but Unity made me feel the same way. When I look at a map and see this -

AC-Unity-Map.jpg

- it makes me feel like I don't want to play anymore. There's so much stuff - not content, just stuff - I feel like I'm not doing or seeing because I'm not willing to go pick up every last thing.

Ubisoft, give us more stuff like the murder investigations and less stuff like the chests and we'll be golden. Hundreds of collectibles doesn't make your game any more valuable, it makes it obnoxious and bloated.
I was thinking back to the Unity map when I got to the first big area in Witcher 3. There's so much to do, so much content, so much world to explore - but with W3, I was getting excited for it because the actual quality of the content is so high. With Unity, I was dreading every collectible and every hotspot, because the quality wasn't there, it felt like going through the motions, doing stuff for the sake of having "more" in it, filling checklists.

I also understand that it's virtually impossible to ever reach the same level of quality and content as W3 with the way the AC series is designed, built and produced.

SeanTSC

Seriously hope that they majorly trim back the absurd level of Map Icon and Useless Collectible bloat that they managed to achieve with AC Unity and Far Cry 4. Both of those games just went way over the line.

I am pretty cautiously optimistic about this game though, despite considering AC Unity to be, quite easily, the worst game in the entire series. Completely cutting MP, co-op, and companion app nonsense gives me some hope that someone pulled their head out of their ass.

Hopefully it turns out well.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
Another AC, shit ton of promises with combat and shit, comes out like a turd.

More than anything, I hope they can deliver on performance.

Crossing Eden

I'm sure it isn't something they would admit, but I wouldn't be surprised if she wasn't originally playable during the story and her missions came as an effort to remedy the bad press for having no females a year ago.
Their answer on that subject.
http://www.idigitaltimes.com/assass...r-things-know-about-evie-frye-and-twin-441077
"One of the things that we wanted to do from the beginning [was have two protagonists]. We were thinking 'how can we tell the story differently?',” explained creative director Marc-Alexis Cote. “I absolutely wanted to bring a new perspective, and I think having a female protagonist is great for that. Because the minute we start [asking] 'how would Evie react to that?' it brings us in a different mindset than we traditionally are in."

Cote also explained why a sibling dynamic between Jacob and Evie would lend to interesting storytelling as well: I think we have something different to tell if we tell the story of a brother and sister and their relationship," explains Cote. "I think there was a fresh story to tell there….I did not want the story to be about romance."

I imagine that this is the face of the devs while their peers were being attacked by the internet.
tumblr_mucytseDLS1rnmxgto1_500.gif

Would be incredibly frustrating for me at least.

I'd love to be excited for this, the setting/era is one of my favourites, the improvements and changes mentioned in the article sound great (although I still think their side-content game is turd-tier, even with those changes)...but I just can't get excited by this series anymore. I bought Unity the other day to give it a second chance and was bored sick of it after around 3 hours. It all just felt too familiar. It's a shame because I love their worlds, they're always very detailed and feel authentic and are usually a joy to explore. I just don't like the Ubisoft formula that these worlds are filled with.

I'd love for this game to be the one that re-kindles my interest for this franchise. I really would. But I won't hold my breath.

Arttemis

I don't understand how anyone could pay full price for this game when they drop to $20 or less within a year, sometimes as quickly as 4 months - which is enough time to get the whole experienced fixed with inevitable patches.

Making the city larger seems completely unnecessary to me. Ubisoft's city design is already far too copy-pasted, with seemingly only a dozen variations in city blocks, with no way to differentiate your location outside of a peppering of unique buildings and the locations colored lighting. Considering, in my opinion, open world games are best played without the HUD, traversing AC games become an experience of walking through the same areas again and again despite covering new ground.

oni-link

Their answer on that subject.
http://www.idigitaltimes.com/assass...r-things-know-about-evie-frye-and-twin-441077

I imagine that this is the face of the devs while their peers were being attacked by the internet while being bound by NDAs.

The fact its a 75/25 split with the guy taking the lead is going to end up with just as many articles and comments to be honest, would it really have been that hard to make it 50/50?

I'm in the rare camp that agreed with Ubi with regards to Unity, it was male only so the MP would work, they just did an awful job of expressing that. So this move looks like its pandering to that criticism, but by making the female lead categorically a secondary character they have opened themselves up to more abuse

Slightly off topic, but Crossing, how would you rank the mainline games, from best to worst?

If they refine the engine to actually being stable on consoles, I'll probably bite. I have a huge weakness for AC and I loved Unity up to a point. Hoping for more variation this time around.

No MP and co-op is fine, ran like ass in Unity anyway. Black Flag was a different story though, loved that MP.

Kuldar

I imagine that this is the face of the devs while their peers were being attacked by the internet.
tumblr_mucytseDLS1rnmxgto1_500.gif
Or while the creative director (someone with a lot of media training) say something extremly dumb like female charcter is too much work?

Quebec leading the AC Syndicate developpement does not give Montreal an extra year for AC 2017. It gives them more people to work on AC 2017 since they don't have to lead both, but it's definitly not egal to one more year of work.

singhr1

I play them every year and generally love the series, but Unity made me feel the same way. When I look at a map and see this -

AC-Unity-Map.jpg

- it makes me feel like I don't want to play anymore. There's so much stuff - not content, just stuff - I feel like I'm not doing or seeing because I'm not willing to go pick up every last thing.

Ubisoft, give us more stuff like the murder investigations and less stuff like the chests and we'll be golden. Hundreds of collectibles doesn't make your game any more valuable, it makes it obnoxious and bloated.

On the surface it may look daunting but then you realize 80% of the icons are chests or landmarks. It's your choice if you want the chests (or need the money). The murder investigations were really cool though so props to Ubisoft for that one in Unity.

Crossing Eden

The fact its a 75/25 split with the guy taking the lead is going to end up with just as many articles and comments to be honest, would it really have been that hard to make it 50/50?

I'm in the rare camp that agreed with Ubi with regards to Unity, it was male only so the MP would work, they just did an awful job of expressing that. So this move looks like its pandering to that criticism, but by making the female lead categorically a secondary character they have opened themselves up to more abuse

Slightly off topic, but Crossing, how would you rank the mainline games, from best to worst?
If she's as well realized as other female protagonists in the series then I can't see that happening, at least not on the scale of creating a hashtag that the dev never said.

Or while the creative director (someone with a lot of media training) say something extremly dumb like female charcter is too much work?

Quebeck leading the AC Syndicate developpement does not give Montreal an extra year for AC 2017. It gives them more people to work on AC 2017 since they don't have to lead both, but it's definitly not egal to one more year of work.
One, creating assets for a fully playable AC character does take a ton of production work, they likely didn't want a half assed attempt in the form of a janky reskin, the main character in ACU was very customizable with a ton of costumes which also could be mismatched together, all of which would've had to be refitted or outright redesigned to fit on a female character model unless she was literally Arno with a different face. Just to give an example of what it looked like when a female model had his animations, https://youtu.be/pxbe5JYGNw8?t=10. Or maybe they take it further, create a ton of different animations including walk cycles, variants on the parkour, combat looks slightly different at some points etc. All of this is stuff that the player would only see through other players since you always see yourself from the perspective of Arno. If you don't see why that would be a ridiculous amount of work and effort for little gain or at the very least if you think that it's easy for them to do so then I have a bridge to sell you. It would be cool truth be told if implemented well, "Oh hey bud you're playing as a female and your animations look different, that's a really cool attention to detail." But budgets aren't unlimited and neither is time. I have no idea where in the world that hastag came from btw. Some person just decided to start a hashtag that had absolutely nothing to do with what was said. Like I haven't seen something so blatantly misinterpreted by internet outrage since the comments from one of the Frozen animators. Secondly they literally state that one of the reasons why Quebec is taking the lead with Syndicate is because Ubisoft Montreal wanted more time with their next AC title and that this allows them to experiment more.

It's got to be coming, right?

I would just buy it on PC but not sure how well optimized it is. I guess now that Steam refunds is a thing I could just return it if it doesn't run well but ehhhh I'd rather just play on PS4 with trophies

Anyways, hopefully we see a good part of this game at E3. London is a really cool setting

Rogue is solid on pc, the engine runs a lot better than it does in Black Flag.

oni-link

If she's as well realized as other female protagonists in the series then I can't see that happening, at least not on the scale of creating a hashtag that the dev never said.

Then it's even worse, she's a well rounded and three dimensional character and we've put in all the time and effort to animate her and make her look as amazing as the guy and (based on the trailer) she is her brothers equal, and yet we're STILL only making her 1/4 of the game

Unity looks like they were just being lazy by not including women, but this could be seen as even worse, including women and then arbitrarily making them secondary

Catdaddy

AC-Unity-Map.jpg

^This, I liked AC:U and made it a little over halfway through before I quit and played Rogue instead. The map seems so bloated even if they mainly collectibles. My plan is to finish the game up at some point this summer, but after I finish don't see myself returning like the other AC games. Also good to see Ubi listening to the players and bringing back stuff that was dropped.

BloodR0se

Yeah that's great for Tenchu fans but I've never played the game nor is a new version coming out for PS4.

I just want some Assassins Creed set in fuedal Japan.
The setting+gameplay+weapons would be glorious.

They have to use the right accents this time though lol.

Then play something like Samurai Warriors, it's all pretty much the same albeit Assassin's Creed tends to be slightly more stylish.

BloodR0se

What? Since when have games studios only been able to make games based on their own country/culture/history without causing offensive?

Do you think the Assassin's Creed games set outside of France were cultural insensitive as well?

You would have to ask an Italian or an American about that, I wouldn't know. I know a lot of people were pissed about how the British have been portrayed in those games though, especially AC3.

There are a lot more similarities between Italian, French and American culture than there are between French and Japanese culture though. Hollywood has never been able to get a Japanese history piece right so what makes you sure that Ubisoft could do any better?

Newlove

I love Assassin's Creed, thought Unity was great, but I'm not too excited for this one just yet. The build up videos were hype but the actual gameplay reveal was disappointing. There doesn't seem to be much new, looks like Unity with a few refinements. I know I'll enjoy it but there needs to be more substance and distinction there to get me pumped. Maybe the E3 demo will do something different than the norm.

Crossing Eden

Then it's even worse, she's a well rounded and three dimensional character and we've put in all the time and effort to animate her and make her look as amazing as the guy and (based on the trailer) she is her brothers equal, and yet we're STILL only making her 1/4 of the game

Unity looks like they were just being lazy by not including women, but this could be seen as even worse, including women and then arbitrarily making them secondary
Ok, do you seriously you think not including a bunch of things that the player would literally only see from the perspective of other players is lazy? Consdiering all of the compelling logical reasons that I listed on why was justified, please explain to me how it's lazy. One of the most disrespectful things you can say about a dev. Like legitimately, i'm trying to understand how that's lazy. And no she's not 1/4th of the game, she's supposedly 1/4th of the story missions. Free roam, side missions etc.

oni-link

You would have to ask an Italian or an American about that, I wouldn't know. I know a lot of people were pissed about how the British have been portrayed in those games though, especially AC3.

There are a lot more similarities between Italian, French and American culture than there are between French and Japanese culture though. Hollywood has never been able to get a Japanese history piece right so what makes you sure that Ubisoft could do any better?

I'm British, and while I didn't play AC3 I played Rogue, but I understand they're games, I'm not coming to Assassin's Creed for a lesson in culture and history, I mean, It's cool that they do have some of that in the games, but it's not to be relied on as you would a peer reviewed study

I don't have any problem with a non Japanese studio making a game set in Japan, or France, or wherever, and I doubt most Americans take issue with Japanese made games set in America

I don't know why you think Japan are exempt or a special case

Hmm, Assassin's Creed disappointed me a while back and I took a long hiatus from the series (the last one I finished was II and the last one I attempted to play was 3), but all of the stuff in the OP sounds very good. I'll still wait at least a week from release to see what the consensus is, but if the game itself comes out and is technically solid and received well then I will surely pick it up. Back on my radar!

RootCause

I'm interested, but I'll take a wait, and see approach like I've done for the last couple of years. I just don't find the recent settings they picked as interesting, or fun. Does the op really work for ubi? D= If so, try getting the rights to making a GOT game, or straight up make your own fantasy game using the AC engine with some combat improvements. ;0

RootCause

Hmm, Assassin's Creed disappointed me a while back and I took a long hiatus from the series (the last one I finished was II and the last one I attempted to play was 3), but all of the stuff in the OP sounds very good. I'll still wait at least a week from release to see what the consensus is, but if the game itself comes out and is technically solid and received well then I will surely pick it up. Back on my radar!
Black Flag was amazing, you should give that one a try.

Then play something like Samurai Warriors, it's all pretty much the same albeit Assassin's Creed tends to be slightly more stylish.

I don't think you understand what I mean.

I want Assassins Creed formula in fuedal Japan(with some evolution of gameplay) not these PS2-gen Japanese hack and slash games. Plus I'm not digging out my PS2 from storage.

I also enjoy AC lore-when done right, so would like to see what I envision be real.

Top Bottom