• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Syndicate |OT| Once more unto the glitch

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Where do I get enough leather?

Buy a treasure map and go chest hunting. That and collecting items from the randomly-generated orphan couriers are all of just the two things I've done to acquire resources thus far and I'm in no short supply of anything despite having unlocked all but the last money generation perk and a few other gang-related things, plus a light amount of weapon/armour crafting.

Lime

Thanks ,Eden. I guess that makes sense. I can understand if they want to avoid doing drama or seriousness if they are not able to pull it off properly.

Hoping for an easier solution than cheating with night time, but I respect their decision to avoid the Victorian London trope if that's what they want to do. I just vastly prefer the dark stuff :p

Thoughts after 30% in:

• Story is complete whatever. I don't care at all and every character seems to be care-free without a worry or drama. There's no drama and no weight to anything, everyone just jokes around while murdering the evil mustache guy's henchmen.
  • Evie's design is really, really good. The long skirt integration into the assassin's design makes much sense and fits the setting nicely.
  • I wish there were more night and evening time. The vast majority of the time I spent is in daylight, as if there's something wrong with the day/night cycle in the game.
  • Bugs and glitches can be kind of annoying.
  • Gameplay is easy as always. I wish combat was better.
  • Driving is ridiculous and completely non-sensical. It takes away from the game and everything becomes a joke when I'm running through people, lightposts, trees, and horses. It's Sain's Row silly.

So yeah, the game is high-production values good dumb fun with a shitty story.

The game is pretty hard if you fight against enemies that are higher level than you. They have a ton of health and get free hits in combat. It forces you to be sneakier and take out enemies systematically instead of rolling through everyone in an all-out brawl like usual.

The story is the most lighthearted of all the AC games. There are some good dramatic moments later on though. The night time iirc lasts for only ten minutes compared to the half hour day. Which is odd because Victorian London but I remember them saying that they wanted to avoid Victorian London tropes like a super dark color pallette, hopefully cheats are on the way so that we can set a specific TOD.

Ughhh that's such a bad reason to create this unbalanced day/night cycle. I've never liked when games sped through the night portion. I specifically remember Just Cause 2 doing this as well, but there have been many others. Recently Mad Max is one of the better takes on this. Feels very slow compared to most open world games (I think it's ~2 hours long) and nighttime gets the same focus as day. Allows the game to really settle into these gorgeous sky boxes and different lighting scenarios.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Put in a few more hours and, damn, this game is really great, isn't it? I'm enjoying it far more than I ever would have imagined coming from Unity. I was more or less just expecting another historical tourism experience surrounded by shitty gameplay, but I am loving what it has to offer so far.

It's like they got rid of all of the bullshit (or at least most of it), polished the mechanics that are there, and really focused on making a good game instead of a convoluted mess of idea that don't gel well together.

Other than the low frame rate with the cloth animations, the PC port seems excellent so far, too. Really pleasantly surprised by this so far. I think it might be the best since ACII.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Thanks ,Eden. I guess that makes sense. I can understand if they want to avoid doing drama or seriousness if they are not able to pull it off properly.

Hoping for an easier solution than cheating with night time, but I respect their decision to avoid the Victorian London trope if that's what they want to do. I just vastly prefer the dark stuff :p
Me too. The best clip I have of the game is me viewing the city at night while it's raining with Austin's music enhancing the scene. Cheats as in traditional cheats, not mods. The last AC game that had them was AC4.

Ughhh that's such a bad reason to create this unbalanced day/night cycle. I've never liked when games sped through the night portion. I specifically remember Just Cause 2 doing this as well, but there have been many others. Recently Mad Max is one of the better takes on this. Feels very slow compared to most open world games (I think it's ~2 hours long) and nighttime gets the same focus as day. Allows the game to really settle into these gorgeous sky boxes and different lighting scenarios.
Idk the specific reason the night cycle is shorter, but I can infer that keeping London colorful was part of it.

Even maxed out from the gang money tree I only get 3500 gold every thirty minutes which isn't much :/

How many times can it cycle before you need to take it out? It doesn't tell you your limit unlike Unity.

Even maxed out from the gang money tree I only get 3500 gold every thirty minutes which isn't much :/

How many times can it cycle before you need to take it out? It doesn't tell you your limit unlike Unity.

You mean telling you when it's full? It does. It pops up a little message saying your chest is full. Actually I think it does one for half full or 3/4s full too.

I play with the hud off which is probably why I don't see though although it doesn't show anything when you go up to the chest(ie, limits) which Unity did

Crossing Eden

I play with the hud off which is probably why I don't see though although it doesn't show anything when you go up to the chest(ie, limits) which Unity did
You can turn on notifications in the options menu and keep the HUD off.

Just watched a group of guys walk off a boat to their death after I dove into the water to get away. Was five dudes on a boat, and three just walked off one after the other. Good shit.

The game is pretty hard if you fight against enemies that are higher level than you. They have a ton of health and get free hits in combat. It forces you to be sneakier and take out enemies systematically instead of rolling through everyone in an all-out brawl like usual.

Yep. I was pretty frustrated at first at how tough fights can be. Then I realized that even a single level above you made them a good deal stronger.

Grisby

I always love taking in the sights in AC games. Feel like there are a ton of children here compared to the other games (were there kids in Unity?).

Also, I was climbing the hospital when all of a sudden a vocal song kicked in. A beautiful moment, but it only lasted a short, short while.. Austin Wintory grabbed my by the balls with that one.

Also, those dreadful crime missions have some thought put into them,

Plenty of kids in the slums begging for food and working as child labor. Free them all.

I was reading during the industrial revolution, children as young as 4 would work long hours and would live to just 25 years of age.

leng jai

So it there really not anyway that enemies aren't highlighted all the time? Even with all the HUD options turned off it still does it. So ugly.

Lime

Plenty of kids in the slums begging for food and working as child labor. Free them all.

I was reading during the industrial revolution, children as young as 4 would work long hours and would live to just 25 years of age.

Yeah whenever you have to free children from factories and Wintory's sad violins kick in, it kind of clashes with the unserious and light-hearted tone of the game.

The story is the most lighthearted of all the AC games. There are some good dramatic moments later on though. The night time iirc lasts for only ten minutes compared to the half hour day. Which is odd because Victorian London but I remember them saying that they wanted to avoid Victorian London tropes like a super dark color pallette, hopefully cheats are on the way so that we can set a specific TOD.

Is there any hope for the bolded actually coming true? Seems like something fairly substantial to add via patch, and I haven't heard any news or confirmation of an upcoming patch. I only ask because I would love a day/night toggle like Unity.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Oh dear, so how bad is the performance on PS4? I was about to buy the game, have ~8 hours to decide. And how did DF miss it?

JaseC

Is there any hope for the bolded actually coming true? Seems like something fairly substantial to add via patch, and I haven't heard any news or confirmation of an upcoming patch. I only ask because I would love a day/night toggle like Unity.

I imagine it'd actually be rather simple to add a time of day setting given every time you start a story mission there's a brief cutscene featuring the Big Ben, during which the in-game time is adjusted -- the groundwork is already there.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Oh dear, so how bad is the performance on PS4? I was about to buy the game, have ~8 hours to decide. And how did DF miss it?

Seems like it generally runs around 25 ~ 30 fps depending on the scene.

Has there ever been an Assassin's Creed game on consoles since maybe the first two that didn't frequently dip into the 20s and below?

Eferim

Has there ever been an Assassin's Creed game on consoles since maybe the first two that didn't frequently dip into the 20s and below?

I don't remember AC4 having poor performance, it's been a while though. I've only ever played the first two and AC4 on consoles so I can't speak for the other games.

On the flip side, the PC port for Syndicate seems to be pretty good from what I hear.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Thoughts after 30% in:

• I wish there were more night and evening time. The vast majority of the time I spent is in daylight, as if there's something wrong with the day/night cycle in the game.
So yeah, the game is high-production values good dumb fun with a shitty story.
The game time actually doubles in speed during night so that you spend more time during the day. Which is an odd choice, as a Londoner myself night time is an essential part of the character of this city, especially now in winter when it's dark so early.

You can read more about it here, via Digital Foundry.

woen

Yeah I agree about the night cycle. Half and half would've been perfect for me. Love running around the rooftops at night.

An option would have been better. I understand their design choice though (night can be boring and unentertaining, so you want to speed it up). It is still better than Unity's lack of day/night cycle.

So it there really not anyway that enemies aren't highlighted all the time? Even with all the HUD options turned off it still does it. So ugly.

You can turn it off but it is kind of hidden. Going through and toggling off individual options will still have the enemy highlights displayed.

You need to toggle all the HUD options off at the top, then go through and toggle on the player widget (this will include the map) and you will want to toggle conflict on too. I also turned on mission data and updates. That should get rid of the highlights.

etta

my hard graphic balls

Gamersyde's fps analysis "city tour" video shows a pretty constant 30fps lock. What's happening here, did a patch alter the performance negatively?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I don't remember AC4 having poor performance, it's been awhile though. I've only ever played the first two and AC4 on consoles so I can't speak for the other games.

On the flip side, the PC port for Syndicate seems to be pretty good from what I hear.

Oh, sorry, I forgot about AC4. Yeah, that one ran great on the PS4 (and likely the XBO, too). I mean, it was a gussied up port of a last-gen game, so I would hope it would have.

Gamersyde's fps analysis "city tour" video shows a pretty constant 30fps lock. What's happening here, did a patch alter the performance negatively?

No idea, I was just reading through the Digital Foundry article. I waited for the PC release, personally. Even 30 fps is far too low for my tastes if I can avoid it.

kaioshade

4 kill takedown but no trophy!

I9PMEng.gif

I am pretty sure its the 4 kill chain takedown, which wasnt what was done there.

Crossing Eden

Making a toggle shouldn't be that difficult. I do wonder what they are working on for the first patch.

BeeDog

Black Flag was rock-solid on PS4, if that counts.

JaseC

Do we know if they're actively working on one at all? Apart from the pretty safe assumption that they probably are, that is.

Nothing in the works for the PC version, at least, but that's of no surprise given the release date's close proximity to Christmas... although it did launch at v1.12.

Bluecondor

hilarious if you played MGS V at all this year

Ya - this is my issue right now. I am still playing MGSV, and then I tried to start playing Syndicate over the weekend. The enemy AI in Syndicate is just awful in comparison, which really breaks the immersion in Syndicate.

JaseC

Man the traversal in AC games just never clicks to me. Constantly getting stuck and trying to jump when the game won't let me.

Yeah, I've found the lack of manual jumping to be a royal pain. Every now and again I just hop down to a window box instead of leaping to the roof... but for the most part I'm stopped in my tracks because the game expects me to use to the rope launcher instead.

leng jai

Yeah, I've found the lack of manual jumping to be a royal pain. Every now and again I just hop down to a window box instead of leaping to the roof... but for the most part I'm stopped in my tracks because the game expects me to use to the rope launcher instead.

Getting mid air Helix Glitches is really annoying because it looks like you can some of them with a normal jump but the game won't let you because it's too rigid. The LB icon for the launcher seems random to me as well. Sometimes it doesn't come up even though it should and half the time I attach onto something directly above me rather than the ledge ahead.

Top Bottom