• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed: Unity microtransaction currency prices revealed ($9.99 to $99.99)

Kalamoj

They are offering the consumer to pay over 140% of the game cost to gain in game currency.

That's not a fucking microtransaction, and you're argument was valid five years ago when this shit cost 200 MS points to unlock X amount of money, not 10+ USD.

AAA games that include this system put it in place because they made the game a specific way to make to make it enticing to skip the "grind" that THEY put into the game in order to get in game currency.

The argument is valid until we know how much grind can be bought. AC 3 and 4 also offered microtransactions.
If someone is stupid enough to pay for something you can unlock by normally playing the game, so be it.

UrbanRats

All members of gaf are like 1% of the AC fans.

Game will sell a ton. Next game will be worse(from our perspective)but sell even more.

This will continue until the last dudebro understands what's going on.

If the "dudebros" don't have a problem with it, why should they care, again?

Was going to pick this game up but the micro-transactions just broke that deal.

giphy.gif

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
All members of gaf are like 1% of the AC fans.

Game will sell a ton. Next game will be worse(from our perspective)but sell even more.

Oh I'm aware of that. But it's a start.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
This game is basically like the Trojan horse of every horrible game design direction that has been occurring for the past six years :(
Agreed 100%. From a traditional development standpoint, I find this extremely worrisome.

I won't be buying this, new or used.

Sigh, I feel this just the beginning. Just Cause 3 next if those leaked images are anything to go by....

Anyway very disappointing direction Ubi have taken. I love the Assassins games but they've pretty much guaranteed I won't be buying any more after this...

wapplew

I think we are part of the problem. Not saying because we bought it either way, but we do demand bigger games.
Look at all those "corridor" "liner" complaint. Is this open world, is that open world, how big is the map? No shit, all that cost a lot of make.
Think about when we compliant about a game mode is absent from an annual sequel, or what happen when they release halo 3 anniversary without putting 3 others halo plus a TV show plus remake CGi in a package?
Bit by bit, we start asking so much for our hard earn $60. Publisher are wrong (?) nickel and dime with DLC or MT, but we are doing the same asking for more (for our $60)

Nephtes

Was really looking forward to this game...

Was still considering getting it even with the low review scores...
But these microtransactions in a non free to play game?

Nope. No way.
Lost sale. Good job Ubisoft. I hope people buy enough in game with real money to offset the loss of the sale to me...

we all know they'll more than make up for the loss of my purchase... :C

Pakoe

I think we are part of the problem. Not saying because we bought it either way, but we do demand bigger games.
Look at all those "corridor" "liner" complaint. Is this open world, is that open world, how big is the map? No shit, all that cost a lot of make.
Think about when we compliant about a game mode is absent from an annual sequel, or what happen when they release halo 3 anniversary without putting 3 others halo plus a TV show plus remake CGi in a package?
Bit by bit, we start asking so much for our hard earn $60. Publisher are wrong (?) nickel and dime with DLC or MT, but we are doing the same asking for more (for our $60)

Bigger? No, better. That's what we want.

Duster

I'm sure they'll get that fixed, but still. This wouldn't be so aggravating if there weren't other treasure chests that could only be opened if you have been using the game's iOS and Android companion app.

After all that fuss about parity and co-marketing deals there's still no parity when it comes to Windows Phones.

SRTtoZ

Nothing will ever be enough for these companies though. We are part of the problem because people buy into that shit, not because we demand more from them. If Ubi saw a decline of sales after inserting microtransactions year after year then you can bet your dick that they would remove them from the game. Nobody, NOBODY asked for 1000 NPC's on screen.

Parity pushed me away, this will keep me away.

Done.

With all the technical issues that are plaguing Unity, I think the parity claims were just PR nonsense. It's very hard to believe that Ubi would have been able to get the PS4 version to 1080p and keep a frame-rate that sometimes reaches 30fps.

We'd be talking a genuine slideshow...

lt519

So can anyone point to a review yet where they say the game has put content behind a paywall? I haven't gotten a response yet. I'm willing to eat my words if someone can show me that.

Chaos17

The argument is valid until we know how much grind can be bought. AC 3 and 4 also offered microtransactions.
If someone is stupid enough to pay for something you can unlock by normally playing the game, so be it.

Righ, nothing is wrong to have macro-transaction in a 60$ game.
Enjoy AC.

Canucked

Lol this is on facebook for AC Unity.

"HEY GUYS, NEED HELP!!! HOW DO YOU USE MICROTRANSACTIONS TO BUY HELIX POINTS SO I CAN UNLOCK GEARS AND WEAPONS? WHEN I GO TO THE INGAME ONLINE SHOP THEY SAY, NO PACKS AVAILABLE!!!!! What am I missing? I really need to unlock those cool gears and swords!"

giphy.gif

Chaos17

I'm not buying the game. They lied, used deceit, and delivered a technical piece of garbage. I didn't buy Watch_Dogs etiher.

I just don't think microtransactions are inherently bad. Many games do them right and I haven't seen a review say the game is behind a paywall yet. Point me to one and I'll shut up.

YX47Q0p.jpg

Need an updated version with macro-transaction, though.

Majin Boo

Lol this is on facebook for AC Unity.

"HEY GUYS, NEED HELP!!! HOW DO YOU USE MICROTRANSACTIONS TO BUY HELIX POINTS SO I CAN UNLOCK GEARS AND WEAPONS? WHEN I GO TO THE INGAME ONLINE SHOP THEY SAY, NO PACKS AVAILABLE!!!!! What am I missing? I really need to unlock those cool gears and swords!"

giphy.gif

iboYXMSutouqHJ.gif

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I'm on the verge of feeling dirty that I got a free copy of this game now.

It will count as sales since somebody paid for it.
The best thing you could do is get through it quickly and push it into the used market so somebody can go that route instead of buying new.

This is happening in lots of games.

GTAV Online is a fucking joke to get the fun stuff (being married with kids and not as much time to play) means you aint seeing shit of the fun stuff unless you spend MORE REAL MONEY or glitch (maybe not possible on ps4/xb1 versions when they come out).

= pay again if you really want to get all out of the game unless you have lots and lots of time to game.
= fuck you R*

TLOU/R has overpowered payable weapons which is annoying as fuck.

= paying to win
= fuck you ND
= double fuck you to ND who still haven't sorted out the shitty matchmaking service, shitty tickrates, advantage to NA as majority hosts, bugs etc....months after release of the game.

Activision to make you buy a season pass if you want a zombie mode (iirc?) and so on and so on.

Can't stand majority of Ubisoft's games (most feel like re-skins of the same shit - talk about generic ffs...) but they aren't alone in this.

Worried about The Division for sure....

If this shit continues, we're might, just might, see another Gaming Crash (at least in some capacity)....

lt519

YX47Q0p.jpg

Need an updated version with macro-transaction, though.

Cute. You still haven't shown me that any content was removed from the game.

Also that picture, while funny, is slightly stupid because games in 1999 didn't have anywhere near the size/scope of the games today. Even Destiny with it's stripped down release is larger than almost all the games published in 1999 (there are the few exceptions such as GTA III, but those aren't the norm). You're still getting the same amount of content for your money, they are just asking for more for the extra content we never used to have anyway. I don't like DLC either, but only a few are actually thinking rationally about this. Publishers and developers definitely do it wrong, it sucks, and it shouldn't be supported. But I haven't seen that here yet.

Furyous

Is progression easy without paying for rewards? Fuck Ubisoft with giraffe cock.

I'm not buying another from Ubi with MTA anywhere near the title. Now all of their upcoming titles look sketchy to me. Am I the only one that wishes games had a tag that includes MTA on the back next to online support?

God damn. This is the worst implementation of microtransactions ive seen in a non f2p game. I got the game dirt cheap, but I still feel bad for even supporting this shit. Last Ubi game ill buy. I'm done with them.

flux1

$99.99 isn't exactly "micro".

Stuff like this just makes me have even less interest than I already did in "AAA" gaming.

Mory Dunz

One of these days, there will be a microtransaction for a locked frame rate.

$4.99 locked framerate patch

Their justification will be:

-Most gamers will be satisfied with the performance of the base game. If you wish for better performance, buy this patch. This patch required extra development time, so please understand why this patch comes at a premium.

Um
Um
Ummm

This is...this is going to happen, isn't it?

"Pay X to stop the slideshow"

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Cute. You still haven't shown me that any content was removed from the game.

Also that picture, while funny, is slightly stupid because games in 1999 didn't have anywhere near the size/scope of the games today. Even Destiny with it's stripped down release is larger than almost all the games published in 1999 (there are the few exceptions such as GTA III, but those aren't the norm). You're still getting the same amount of content for your money, they are just asking for more for the extra content we never used to have anyway. I don't like DLC either, but only a few are actually thinking rationally about this. Publishers and developers definitely do it wrong, it sucks, and it shouldn't be supported. But I haven't seen that here yet.

This isn't about content. That pic doesn't belong in the thread. This is about in-game currency or XP being purchasable with real cash, and how balance and progression can be skewed in a way meant to convince players to open up their wallets.

...in a 60 dollar game.

RM8

They are going to make money with these micro transactions. That's the sad part :( Man, "whales" are one of the worst things to happen to gaming. I fear that in the future, companies that produce non insanely wallet grabbing games will have to tailor their games for this model of revenue.

SolidJum5

Neo Member
I gave up on the Assassin Creed series after Revelations. I was considering getting back into it when i saw the trailers for Unity. Mind you, I was already dissatisfied with Ubisoft, but I was willing to give this game a chance. But with all the glitches, relatively poor review - shoot even the resident AC fanboy, Stephen Totilo (after Crossing Eden), wouldn't recommend it - and now microtransactions, I won't be buying this game, new or used, period. Ubisoft can bite a metal shiny ass for all i care. I haven't bought a Ubisoft game in a while, and that will continue for the foreseeable future.

I'm going to purchase shadows of Mordor.

Before this went public I was only worried about a half finished game that needs thousands of patches, par for the course of recently released games.

This turned out way worse than I could have ever imagined lol, pure trash!

Top Bottom