• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed: Unity microtransaction currency prices revealed ($9.99 to $99.99)

todahawk

What's the complaint?

I'm trying to see the issue here...

Because if it's just "ACU has Microtransacations"... then, uhh... where the fuck were you guys last year bitching about Black Flag?

VYp77ft.jpg

Because we're hearing that gold is significantly harder to come by and that people are running into chests they can't open. I beat AC4 Black Flag and never once encountered anything that made me feel like I needed to buy any shit in game. I didn't even know you could.

AC:U seems to be designed with micro/macro transactions in mind. That's the problem.

AJLma

Ubisoft is an increasingly slimy company. They try so hard to compete with EA and Activision as a major publisher but it's just clear that they're not on the same level, the only reason they can be mentioned in the same breath is because they leech money from people who don't know better by pulling shit like this.

Every time they have a new release, I sit back, read the dozen+ page backlash threads and wait for people to get fully fed up with their bullshit and every release the backlash gets a little bit worse.

I think they've got maybe 1-3 highly anticipated releases left before karma comes back and really kicks their asses.

I never remember seeing any microtransaction prompts in the single player. What exactly did that look like? As for it being unaffected, I have a hard time believing that.

The prompts weren't there. The ability to buy them still was.

V7v6v3N.jpg

Not repeatable, but you could buy them to skip the prerequisites to actually own them for your ship. Then you 'needed' a separate resources pack to actually get the funds to purchase the upgrades in-game.

Because we're hearing that gold is significantly harder to come by and that people are running into chests they can't open. I beat AC4 Black Flag and never once encountered anything that made me feel like I needed to buy any shit in game. I didn't even know you could.

AC:U seems to be designed with micro/macro transactions in mind. That's the problem.

If that's true, I'll complain. But the chests in the games always start off with a low amount of currency and ramp up as you get to the outer limits and new cities. All chests are not created equal. And the community chests (Initiates-linked) generally have more.

Bodom78

I stopped at Brotherhood, was burnt out by that point.

Was looking forward to getting back into the AC series with Unity but not anymore.

So many other great games out without all this bullshit.

Alucrid

Banned
The prompts weren't there. The ability to buy them still was.

http://i.imgur.com/V7v6v3N.jpg[IMG]

Not repeatable, but you could buy them to skip the prerequisites to actually own them for your ship. Then you 'needed' a separate resources pack to actually get the funds to purchase the upgrades in-game.[/QUOTE]

Ok, so it wasn't a fake currency situation and more like DLC unlocks as in BF. I personally don't see that as slimy as the fake currency situation since we all know how that works on people. Not to mention the prevalence of in game notifications about "hacking" and what not. It's no surprise that people wouldn't have been upset at blackflag since it was non intrusive in both the menus and gameplay...which is what Unity isn't.

KingJ2002

What's the complaint?

I'm trying to see the issue here...

Because if it's just "ACU has Microtransacations"... then, uhh... where the fuck were you guys last year bitching about Black Flag?

VYp77ft.jpg

I don't recall ever seeing those options in black flag honestly.

Ubisoft has to do right by this release and fix this game.

- Stabilize the frame rate
- Upgrade the resolution
- Give the option to turn off the initiates / iOS chests
- Give people the option to turn off the hacks

If they do this... I will pick it up.

And I am fine with that as the complaint. Pushing upgrades microtransactions with popups and bullshit, especially in single-player is a big problem. But we get nowhere if we pretend microtransactions and paying for unlocks in the game is a new concept.

Framing the issue in the most clear way is important. People bitching about the game being '30' fps (HAHA!) instead of 60fps because of 'parity' didn't understand the issue either and just joined on the hatewagon, diluting the actual 900p resolution issue.

deeptech

I can't believe that this is actually the company that made Warrior Within , Rayman 2 ,Trials, Chaos Theory..... just some of my most favorite games ever.

What the shit happened?

99,99 micro transactions in a full priced retail game, in-game content locked behind mobile apps, 20fps game performance. LOL, this is hilarious. I am so glad that I don't care for these rehashed, derivative, shitty AAA games anymore. I truly feel for those who enjoy them though. Thank god for the Wii U, indies and small publishers, without them I wouldn't be playing video games anymore.

Alucrid

Banned
And I am fine with that as the complaint. Pushing upgrades microtransactions with popups and bullshit, especially in single-player is a big problem. But we get nowhere if we pretend microtransactions and paying for unlocks in the game is a new concept.

Framing the issue in the most clear way is important. People bitching about the game being '30' fps (HAHA!) instead of 60fps because of 'parity' didn't understand the issue either and just joined on the hatewagon, diluting the actual 900p resolution issue.

perhaps. but trying to paint our complaints as hypocritical because we didn't rise up against blackflag's obscure (i put in tons of hours and never knew it was there) microtransactions seems rather disingenuous

I'm suddenly afraid for BG&E2... I hope Ancel will be able to keep this shit out of his game. With no hope for a ZombiU2 and the future of Rayman unknown (AFAIK), it's the only thing Ubisoft has that I care about.

SURGEdude

Well no more microtransactions. We have entered the era of the digital macrotransaction.

Not sure if I should blame Obama or not for this one. But I'll be safe and figure he must have a hand in it somehow.

I think the biggest Gut-punch is the context of those microtransactions, and how much they are actually *worth* in-game.

[pics]

A slightly advanced Red Coat - 600 Helix Points.

Calculated out, that's about $8.57. For a COAT. Which is very likely not the best in the game.

So.. to those who have played it so far, how easy is it to get Francs?

EDIT: Recalculating, due to the screenshot having two separate options at the same price (wtf, Why, Ubi?), If you get the one with the bonus points, it comes to $3.75 for the coat.

I'm wondering if that is a general price or if that coat is the far upper end?

If they're selling packages of $100 points bundles, there must be a lot of $4 coats... Can you use those points for content (e.g. a new town) DLC (a la a season pass) or anything in the future or is it just for in-game items?

Damerman

People bought horse armor for like 5 bucks... of course ubisoft is going to charge you money so that you can do more damage for 5 minutes.

The Hermit

Cute. You still haven't shown me that any content was removed from the game.

Also that picture, while funny, is slightly stupid because games in 1999 didn't have anywhere near the size/scope of the games today. Even Destiny with it's stripped down release is larger than almost all the games published in 1999 (there are the few exceptions such as GTA III, but those aren't the norm). You're still getting the same amount of content for your money, they are just asking for more for the extra content we never used to have anyway. I don't like DLC either, but only a few are actually thinking rationally about this. Publishers and developers definitely do it wrong, it sucks, and it shouldn't be supported. But I haven't seen that here yet.

i2CMMzwonvtes.gif

SURGEdude

I'm suddenly afraid for BG&E2... I hope Ancel will be able to keep this shit out of his game. With no hope for a ZombiU2 and the future of Rayman unknown (AFAIK), it's the only thing Ubisoft has that I care about.

Ancel, the occasional UbiArt game, and the hope of a real PoP game are all I care about that Ubi does anymore. I did used to like some of their PC strategy games before the insane DRM nonsense too. Oh if a ZombiU2 ever happened I'd have to give it a swing.

But all of their big name games have pretty much sucked for years, and just seem to get worse annually.

Can you get to 100% of the content if I can phrase it that way without spending cash on micro? Maybe grind for it or whatever? Sorry if this has already been answered

JP

Really couldn't care any less about this game anyway but what keep popping into my mind whenever Ubisoft do this sort of stupid stuff are thoughts of Beyond Good & Evil 2 being killed off for me by them doing something along these lines with it! :(

From a business sense, this is fucking smart. I always thought Square Enix should allow players to buy gil or rare items for real dollar amounts for the FFXIII series. But $100 for anything in-game is ridiculous.

So what do I do?

I don't want to support this shit.

On the other hand, I want to support Michel Ancel. I want to support the people who made Far Cry 3 because it was fun, but I don't want Ubisoft to see a cent of that money. I can't buy used since I'm going to play this stuff on PC.

Do I just write them off completely?

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
So what do I do?

I don't want to support this shit.

On the other hand, I want to support Michel Ancel. I want to support the people who made Far Cry 3 because it was fun, but I don't want Ubisoft to see a cent of that money. I can't buy used since I'm going to play this stuff on PC.

Do I just write them off completely?

To give money to one would be to give money to the other.

Soooo..

Who's throwing CheatEngine at this? Cause it's shit like this that Trainers were built for.

I think Ubisoft realizes this. I tried Cheat Engine as soon as I got my hands on the game, but the game crashes as soon as you start tampering with it. I'm pretty experienced with Cheat Engine, but I'm no expert at getting around cheat prevention like this.

Someone out there will probably crack it though.

Ethelwulf

Can they still be called "microtransactions" when one option costs more than the entire game itself?

PR: "In Ubisoft, we believe that premium experiences should be offered to all types of gamers. If you like playing a lot, then go for it and earn money in-game. We don't want to stop there. We are giving the consumer the choice of buying in-game currency with real money and we also give you the option to choose from different packs starting at $9.99"

Translation: sales > quality.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
These companies need to be regulated. There should be separate classifications when going gold, which should affect whether a game is full priced or not. If a game contains no micro transactions, then the game should be priced whatever the current standard is ($60). But if a game has heavy transactions such as AC: Unity, the retail price should be considerably lower. I fucking hate this shit.

Reallink

And The Crew. In the beta the grind to 100,000 credits to buy a Skyline is insane.. i hope the payout for missions was just some beta pricing, and not final. Because if the grind remains unchanged and there are MT's, it'll be clear ubi's intentions.

The bigger issue with The Crew is that it's competitive and dependent on the upgrades/progression, so it becomes a pay 2 win scenario. I'm assuming AC is coop only as it's all I've seen them advertise. Honestly got no idea as I've never played or followed whatever multiplayer they're trying to tack onto the series.

Darklord

Banned
So technically it's a mess, gameplay is a let down, and it's riddles with microtransaction?

WOW UBISOFT, TAKE MY MONEY!

WARP10CK

Banned
I'm very worried. The Crew (beta) also is very heavy on microtransactions. At this point, I'd be surprised if Ubi isn't strongly pushing them in FC4 as well. Hopefully, we'll find out on Friday.

Oh there will be trust me they are making people pay for multiplayer which is something they will add later.

JKRMA

Banned
Ewwww, how come we only find out now? Holy shit at the $99.99 micro transaction. I can see many parents pissed if their kids purchased all of these just like what happens with freemium games. Wait, this game was made in Canada right so The Canadian devil prob had a hand in this...

Top Bottom