• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed: Unity microtransaction currency prices revealed ($9.99 to $99.99)

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
$99.99?!! o_O

Should we even be calling these micro-transactions anymore?

Was thinking exactly that. When your price point starts at $10, it's not a fucking microtransaction, it's a full blown additional payment.

So insulting. Ubisoft really thinks we're all morons or something.

Denton

I was thinking about buying this for that 30 dollars...but with this and all the other bad stuff, no thanks.

mackattk

It doesn't make sense to have these type of transactions in a game like this. Other games like Simpsons: Tapped Out and the like are basically on an unlimited treadmill system.

In this game you are paying obscene amounts of money in order to complete the game faster, and most likely not play it again after that. From what I can see there is no treadmill here, so correct me if I am wrong.

Ladekabel

With all the other shit Ubi pulls, they might take EA's place and become the publishers I won't buy games from in the future.

Disgusting. I can't imagine, if other media forms tried to get away with this.

I know the initial emotion for most here and me as well is anger, but when I step back there's this huge disappointment. I mean, I was really, really looking forward to this game. And others. And shit like this... it keeps happening. I told you about those AAA devs, bro. It keeps... on... happening.

I know how you feel. It's really sad. Natural to be angry or upset, but this game should have been awesome and it shouldn't be littered with any of this crap. There is no excuse. If you can't make the game without having a budget so astronomical that the only way to recoup costs is to shove a middle finger up the flaming assholes of everyone buying your product, I dunno, maybe... maybe don't do that? If people aren't satisfied enough with graphics or the number of NPC's, they can choose whether or not to buy the game.

If this game sells well, even after these reviews and all the documented glitches, it just tells me that people at large actually don't care about graphics, especially when you have Chewbacca running around in your game, people floating, people popping in out of nowhere, people climbing the walls like a Japanese ghost trope-- what good are nice visuals when you have shit like that everywhere? It's like looking at a nice painting while someone slings mud at it. Again what's the point of pretty graphics when there are so many horrendous glitches everywhere that factually ruin the image?

Grab a blowtorch and head my way if you desire, but Nintendo has the right idea.

Vodh

Well, that settles it. Flaunting microtransactions and DLC content in-game is the worst bullshit. Not gonna buy anything they make unless they somehow manage to pull off some truly outstanding game (and one without this shit) - which they haven't in years in my eyes. I was happy with Watch Dogs, but in this day and age I'm not desperate enough for OK games to support this kind of crap.

Owzers

Not even bothering to rent this one, the last time i bought an Assassin's Creed game was #2, rented 3 and Black Flags, and now i'm done.

Never liked Assassins Creed but this has seriously made me reconsider buying far cry 4 or anything else Ubisoft may release. Disgusting I expect this in a free to play mobile phone game but a $60 console game!

Ubisoft this should NEVER happen

Burt

I was in the JC3 thread the other day telling people to chill about the microtransaction stuff because nothing was announced or final and therefore there was no reason to freak out prematurely. After all, it's not like any developer would actually wait until after release to spring that shit on consumers, right? They wouldn't be so insidious as to wait until the game is bought before cluing people in on crippling artificial gameplay barriers, right?

Everyone should be freaking out now. Unity is already beyond saving, but make the noise for the sake of the message to Avalanche and JC3.

It's really sad to see what Ubisoft has become.

Annualizing a franchise to hell and back is already a bit much.
Poor performance is not unheard of. It's unacceptable, but it's sort of understandable.
Macro transactions? Jesus Christmas.

The culmination of all of these combined with the horrible PR and late review embargo surrounding this game and you've got a really bad shit storm.

Yeah, Ubi really shit the bed with this one. They're obviously and brazenly testing the waters to see just how many suckers they can bag with the bullshit macrotransactions. The hubris of putting MTs in a game that cost more than the game itself is unfuckingbelievable.

This is pretty much what happens when Wall Street bean-counter douche-bags take over a business. I hope backlash kills this shit with fire before it spreads to the entire industry, but sadly we may have already passed the tipping point on that. As others have mentioned, the AAA part of the business is in need of a collapse and reset...and we may be more than half-way down that path already.

ironcreed

Banned
With all the other shit Ubi pulls, they might take EA's place and become the publishers I won't buy games from in the future.

Disgusting. I can't imagine, if other media forms tried to get away with this.

EA is actually looking pretty great right now. Games like DA: Inquisition and great programs like Access? Works for me.

myca77

I don't see how anyone could be surprised, this is Ubisoft after all.

• Invasive DRM
  • Always online single player games (more DRM)
  • Poor PC ports
  • PC delays
  • Season Passes
  • Bullshots, lies (and videotape)
  • DLC, DLC, please buy our DLC
  • Parity, parity everywhere
  • 30 FPS is better the 60 (or is it to much hassle, I can't remember)
  • Review embargoes
  • Downgrades
  • uPlay
  • Women are too difficult/cost too much to animate

I'm sure there is more, just a list off of the top of head from the last five or so years of Ubi. So glad their output does't really interest me, apart from Rock Smith, which to be fair was awful on the PS3 (original version). 2014 was worth the cheap punt on Steam and worked out pretty well.

stufte

Theres always this response. The "it doesn't affect me so its ok". Except it does and you dont even realize it because games with microtransactions tend to be designed to make the player have to spend more time unlocking stuff to a point where people would rather spend real money. Microtransactions and slow progression towards unlocks go hand in hand.

I make free ios games with iap and in-game timers designed to do what you are describing for a living. So far Unity can hardly be described as a game that punishes you for not spending money in-game. Or the sky is falling, whatever makes you guys feel good.

I don't like the microtrans stuff in these kinds of games, but there isn't anything disingenuous in saying that it is meant only for the extremely impatient among us and affects only a tiny part of the gamers who are playing this game. You don't have to spend money inside this game to enjoy it. At all.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I know how you feel. It's really sad. Natural to be angry or upset, but this game should have been awesome and it shouldn't be littered with any of this crap. There is no excuse. If you can't make the game without having a budget so astronomical that the only way to recoup costs is to shove a middle finger up the flaming assholes of everyone buying your product, I dunno, maybe... maybe don't do that? If people aren't satisfied enough with graphics or the number of NPC's, they can choose whether or not to buy the game.

If this game sells well, even after these reviews and all the documented glitches, it just tells me that people at large actually don't care about graphics, especially when you have Chewbacca running around in your game, people floating, people popping in out of nowhere, people climbing the walls like a Japanese ghost trope-- what good are nice visuals when you have shit like that everywhere? It's like looking at a nice painting while someone slings mud at it. Again what's the point of pretty graphics when there are so many horrendous glitches everywhere that factually ruin the image?

Grab a blowtorch and head my way if you desire, but Nintendo has the right idea.

In my opinion, "good graphics" insinuates a lack of visual bugs and artifacts. This game does not have good graphics by any means.

Graphics isn't just the level of detail, draw distance, shaders, etc.. It's about the entire visual experience.

50410f5aafa96f6c00002c7c.gif

Fuck You Ubisoft

I Quit

DedValve

Banned
A lot of people buy them and like f2p games, but usually the key here is that they're f2p games, which are free up front and get significant updates for free as well.

Beyond that, in some paymium games like Mass Effect 3, at least the mode with microtransactions (the multiplayer) got a ton of free dlc due to the microtransaction crates. I think GTA Online operates under the same model, but I haven't played that, so I can't be sure.

In Assassin's Creed, I don't think there is any notable free post launch content, so you're getting the worst of f2p (the microtransactions) without any of the benefits (the free service). It's just charging for cheat codes, often in a system intentionally slowed down to incentivize you to buy currency.

I completely agree. to this day I'm still shocked how well ME3 handled the whole F2P model.

1) It was completely optional
2) EVERYONE benefited from having monthly free maps, characters and a bunch of other shit
3) patches (for better or worse) where maintained regularly for a full year
4) there was no grind to gain the packs by playing. 1 mp patch of a select difficulty = 1 pack of a select rarity (easy got you the lowest pack, platinum got you the highest)

On top of that the game was just addicting. 500+ hours poured into it across my 360 and PS3.

This on the other hand is....lol.

I don't ever want to say a game should fail because of all the hard work that goes into making games but jesus christ Ubisoft...

I've been gaming for 30 years and never pre-ordered a thing. The power is yours to protect yourself from this kind of thing happening.
Preordering itself isnt a problem. Ensuring yourself to a product on release is normal practice for a lot of stuff outside of gaming. The problem is that publishers know this and take advantage of that fact. I mean really between the embargo and this its just a big fuck you from ubisoft to their fans. The fans should be the ones more pissed off then anyone. Ubisoft doesnt care about them.

RichL

Banned
I'm sure ass creed management will be dining out on fine steak and lobster tonight back slapping their successful launch.

Bluecondor

This type of thing has been in sports games for years. For example, in the NBA2K series, people have been able to max out their created player stats with their credit cards. I enjoy playing the game to level up my player, so microtransactions are a complete non-issue for me.

I only play the single player on AC games, and enjoy the experience of leveling up my character and improving the homestead/ship/headquarters. So, microtransactions will be a complete non-issue for me. I don't mind downloading and using the free companion app (the one for Black Flag was actually quite useful in the game) and I have been on UPlay for some time now.

I guess that I have just come to expect these things in games now.

Lols. 'Boosts to make solo gameplay easier.'

How much easier can you make a game where it was pretty much press x to win in the first place?

Remember guys - you *wanted* this.

This is mature, forward-thinking game design. Always connected, always multiplayer, options/options/options, access/access/access, atmosphere and universe more important than gameplay, etc.
This is why certain things were fads.

This is what the market voted for. We are complicit.

riflen

I don't know what's happened to this industry I grew up with from when it started.

Maybe if developers didn't need a massive budget for what at times feels like participating in an interactive movie "PRESS X TO OPEN DOOR" they could go back to basics and concentrate on, y'know, gameplay at an affordable cost and then not need to charge us extra on top of the core game.

What's happened is that games are big business. The people steering these large publishers are not people that grew up enjoying games, they've arrived from the other media content industries. They are not interested in your hobby, they're not even interested in retaining an audience. They will stay this course until something forces them to change their behaviour. At that point it'll be time to move on to the next company and apply their brilliant ideas on how to exploit human behaviour to the next brand with an established audience.

In my opinion, "good graphics" insinuates a lack of visual bugs and artifacts. This game does not have good graphics by any means.

Graphics isn't just the level of detail, draw distance, shaders, etc.. It's about the entire visual experience.

I agree. But we're apparently in some kind of minority. If this is the way you feel, you'll find no quarrel from me.

foxdvd

review embargo aside...can anyone who is currently playing Far cry 4 comment on any sort of micro transactions they have found in that game? I would like to know what I am getting into and if I need to cancel my preorder. If I can't get an answer I will cancel it anyway to be safe.

Burt

It's hard to believe that people are still pushing this shit in 2014. I mean, there are plenty of examples of successful F2P games to model yourself on, but after a generation of EA failing to push this microtransaction bullshit onto gamers, don't they get it by now? Has there ever been a microtransaction-laden game that's been successful?

COD map packs don't count.

review embargo aside...can anyone who is currently playing Far cry 4 comment on any sort of micro transactions they have found in that game? I would like to know what I am getting into and if I need to cancel my preorder. If I can't get an answer I will cancel it anyway to be safe.
What? Just cancel your preorder now. Why would you have the game preordered?

I make free ios games with iap and in-game timers designed to do what you are describing for a living. So far Unity can hardly be described as a game that punishes you for not spending money in-game. Or the sky is falling, whatever makes you guys feel good.

I don't like the microtrans stuff in these kinds of games, but there isn't anything disingenuous in saying that it is meant only for the extremely impatient among us and affects only a tiny part of the gamers who are playing this game. You don't have to spend money inside this game to enjoy it. At all.
Except you completely skipped over where games with microtransactions affect how games are developed. Making unlocks either random, like in plats vs zombies garden warfare or making unlocks taking an obscene amount of time. That affects everyone.

Parsnip

I'm just going to ignore microtransactions. That approach has worked in the past games' multiplayer component, don't see why it wouldn't work this time.

ChaosXVI

Hopefully this shit wakes up the mainstream gamers, and they reject this shit so strongly it makes the Xbox One initial reaction look like nothing.

2014: The year Nintendo wins...because the majority of "Next-gen" games suck.

But at least Dragon Age seems to be delivering!

x-Lundz-x

Theres always this response. The "it doesn't affect me so its ok". Except it does and you dont even realize it because games with microtransactions tend to be designed to make the player have to spend more time unlocking stuff to a point where people would rather spend real money. Microtransactions and slow progression towards unlocks go hand in hand.

Please keep in mind I'm not defending this at all, but has that been proven? I mean, if someone can show me they purposely designed the game where it's going to take you 80 hours to unlock everything without buying this stuff then I get your point. If it can can be done in what I consider a normal AC Playthrough (20-25 hours give or take) I don't see a big issue.

Fuck that, the microtransactions don't really concern me since I'll never buy them but all the intrusions for the app, the Initiate thing, man, Uplay was bad enough. I can see why they had a release day embargo. BioWare/EA was confident enough with DA:I and it shows.

hydruxo

I own every AC game and have enjoyed them all but I will not be buying this one. Ubi has really rubbed me the wrong way the past few months with this game.

stufte

Except you completely skipped over where games with microtransactions affect how games are developed. Making unlocks either random, like in plats vs zombies garden warfare or making unlocks taking an obscene amount of time. That affects everyone.

What integral part of Unity is being slowed down by not purchasing the iap? How am I affected if I choose to ignore it? Do you have anything except hyperbole to back up your claims of "obscene amounts of time"?

ymmv

Banned
A reviewer on Tweakers.net said you could earn oodles of money by taking over the Café Theatre and playing those missions. In his view it was so easy to earn thousands of francs that you didn't even need to check the treasure chests.

Top Bottom