• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity - PC Performance thread

d00d3n

I did som FRAPS-ing in the intro area with my 3570k@4.6GHz, 8 gigs ram, 2x geforce 780 SLI, installed on a ssd, running windows 7 64 bit. I used 1080p resolution, 60Hz, fullscreen mode, vsync disabled, textures high, TXAA, the other settings at their highest.

FPS was mostly at 43-46, and did not jump below 40 or higher than 65. Changing shadows down to high or low did not change fps notably (could be area dependent though). Lowering evironmental detail (as suggested for single card 780s in the official nvidia guide) or changing AA from TXAA to MSAAx4/MSAAx2 did not seem to affect fps much either.

Subjectively, the combat felt ok for me with these settings. Both fullscreen vsync and borderless windowed led to notably delayed controller input, so I decided to skip vsync ... The game looks okay without vsync playing on my 1080p panasonic plasma.

orava

The game is currently third in steam top sellers.

ShsIU04.gif

Denton

This is me right now...

SaXBZI9.png

My connection normally downloads at 1.59 MB/s consistently.

That sucks, I feel your pain.
That said, all the major ones, Steam/Origin/Uplay have been giving me generous 8MB/s speeds as they should for the past year. Haven't tried downloading Unity though.

So this is what I got (all settings maxed, V-Sync off):

3200x1800 2xmsaa ~25-30 with consistent stutter every 5-10 seconds

3200X1800 FAXX ~45 and very smooth

2560X1440 2xmsaa ~45-50 with consistent stutter every 5-10 seconds

2560X1440 FAXX 55-75, very smooth but it's all over the place

1080p 8xmsaa 40-50 with consistent stutter every 5-10 seconds

1080p 2xmsaa 55-60 with some stutter

1080p FAXX ~70-85 very smooth

Just started wondering around Paris, haven't seen any giant crowds yet, but so far I am a little bit disappointed with the performance at 3200x1800...

Edit: TXAA kills my system, cuts the fps nearly in half at higher resolutions

Edit2: Well here is something interesting:

If I change the AA settings to MSAA in game, it stutters. However, if keep those settings, then quit to desktop and relaunch, the stutter is gone; game is silky smooth. In fact, after the relaunch at 1080p 8xMSAA, I also get better average fps second ~55-65, with some dips towards the low 50s. A restart with 2xMSAA at 3200x1800 and the same thing happened, no more stutters and now the game is running smoothly at ~30-40fps.

i73930K @ 4.6
GTX 980 SLI
SSD
16gb RAM
Windows 8.1
latest Nvida drivers

Kevyt

So this is what I got (all settings maxed, V-Sync off):

3200x1800 2xmsaa ~25-30 with consistent stutter every 5-10 seconds

3200X1800 FAXX ~45 and very smooth

2560X1440 2xmsaa ~45-50 with consistent stutter every 5-10 seconds

2560X1440 FAXX 55-75, very smooth but it's all over the place

1080p 8xmsaa 40-50 with consistent stutter every 5-10 seconds

1080p 2xmsaa 55-60 with some stutter

1080p FAXX ~70-85 very smooth

Just started wondering around Paris, haven't seen any giant crowds yet, but so far I am a little bit disappointed with the performance at 3200x1800...

Edit: TXAA kills my system, cuts the fps nearly in half at higher resolutions

i73930K @ 4.6
GTX 980 SLI
SSD
16gb RAM
Windows 8.1
latest Nvida drivers

So even with a 980 SLI, it's impossible to achieve a smooth 1080p, ultra settings, and 2x MSAA... that's very disappointing. This is another bad port from Ubisoft...

rnaud

I wonder how this passes QA.

What kind of rigs are they using at Ubisoft? It's not like this must be news for them. It must have been a pain in the ass to get to even these perf levels.

d00d3n

I did som FRAPS-ing in the intro area with my 3570k@4.6GHz, 8 gigs ram, 2x geforce 780 SLI, installed on a ssd, running windows 7 64 bit. I used 1080p resolution, 60Hz, fullscreen mode, vsync disabled, textures high, TXAA, the other settings at their highest.

FPS was mostly at 43-46, and did not jump below 40 or higher than 65. Changing shadows down to high or low did not change fps notably (could be area dependent though). Lowering evironmental detail (as suggested for single card 780s in the official nvidia guide) or changing AA from TXAA to MSAAx4/MSAAx2 did not seem to affect fps much either.

Subjectively, the combat felt ok for me with these settings. Both fullscreen vsync and borderless windowed led to notably delayed controller input, so I decided to skip vsync ... The game looks okay without vsync playing on my 1080p panasonic plasma.

Forcing vsync through nvidia inspector decreased the input delay significantly. I used adaptive at 1/2 refresh rate. Maybe I will play in 30fps after all ...

Guri

They prefer 30 fps for their games. I don't doubt the tests are only to make sure it will run OK with 30 fps and after that, it's just minor details.

Exile550

Guys, I need help choosing a GTX 970, there are so many model, brand overclock settings etc. Can some one enlighten me? I'm buying from Canada on NCIX.com. Budget is around 400$

Thanks!

elelunicy

That's actually a bad sign (or good depending on your point of view) for a huge AAA game on launch day. It's 5th right now.

Well you have to pay full price on Steam but much cheaper to get uplay keys. Wouldn't be surprised only a small segment of people have the game on Steam.

So even with a 980 SLI, it's impossible to achieve a smooth 1080p, ultra settings, and 2x MSAA... that's very disappointing. This is another bad port from Ubisoft...

Well here is something interesting:

If I change the AA settings to MSAA in game, it stutters. However, if keep those settings, then quit to desktop and relaunch, the stutter is gone; game is silky smooth. In fact, after the relaunch at 1080p 8xMSAA, I also get better average fps second ~55-65, with some dips towards the low 50s. Something seems jacked up with their AA settings.

EDIT: just tried a restart with 2xMSAA at 3200x1800 and the same thing happened, no more stutters and now the game is running at ~30-40fps

AU Tiger

The sad thing about PC gaming lately is you can either play through the game in the first week or two getting performance issues or you can be patient and wait a month for patches (official and durante), new gpu drivers and enjoy the game with 10-50% better fps and other problems ironed out.

Like, I wish I'd waited and played Dead Rising 3 a month after launch, but I don't think I can wait for Unity >_<

Sadly, this is what I've decided to to. I knew that waiting on the sidelines for this game was a smart move after what happened with watchdogs.

I'll be getting dragon age instead (again, not on launch but shortly after assuming the game is decently optmized for PC) and playing through that.

Hopefully it will run relatively well @ 1080 on my GTX 680/4770k.

I may have enough spare cash saved up for a 970 by the time I finish that game and by then, (fingers crossed) ubisoft will have fixed some of these problems with stuff popping in and grass LOD and what not.

MC_Hify

i75820K
SSD
32gb RAM
Windows 7

No consistent frame rate at all. I turn all settings to max and it seems to stay above 30 FPS as long as I keep the resolution at 1080p. If I go up to 2560X1440 the frame rate starts to dip below 30. Man, that pop-in is something else.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Guys, I need help choosing a GTX 970, there are so many model, brand overclock settings etc. Can some one enlighten me? I'm buying from Canada on NCIX.com. Budget is around 400$

Thanks!

I get the impression that the ASUS model is the most highly recommended in terms of reliability.

I bought an EVGA card a couple of weeks ago and it's been working great.

I think all brands can suffer from the coil whine issue, though.

mid83

I'm ignorant as hell about hardware, so please don't crucify me if this comes off as a stupid question.

I've been playing PC games without issue for a while now with my laptop. Sometimes at lower settings, but hoenstly, that doesn't bother me. I honestly don't think I've run into a game I wasn't able to run at some point (that doesn't mean there isn't, just that I haven't experienced that).

I looked at a couple of these "Can I run this sites" and I got no's on both CPU/GPU. Based on these specs, would you guys agree?

i7 3610QM 2.3ghz
Nvidia GTX 660M
8 GB ram

Kezen

Banned
I'm ignorant as hell about hardware, so please don't crucify me if this comes off as a stupid question.

I've been playing PC games without issue for a while now with my laptop. Sometimes at lower settings, but hoenstly, that doesn't bother me. I honestly don't think I've run into a game I wasn't able to run at some point (that doesn't mean there isn't, just that I haven't experienced that).

I looked at a couple of these "Can I run this sites" and I got no's on both CPU/GPU. Based on these specs, would you guys agree?

i7 3610QM 2.3ghz
Nvidia GTX 660M
8 GB ram

Don't bother, Unity is very taxing on the hardware.

Check if your drivers are up to date, Nvidia recently released the 344.65 WHQL.

Drivers are up to date. Redownloaded and reinstalled the game and it still immediately crashes on launch never even getting past the splash screen. I disabled the overlay in the Uplay settings. Still crashes.

This is on a brand new i7 4790k, 16GB RAM, 970GTX and Crucial MX100 SSD.

Specs:
i5-3570k @ 4.2GHz
16 GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz (High amount of usage here)
GTX 780 3GB / Stock Cooler / 7GHz memory OC

Did a decent amount of testing with fraps' benchmark tool and my eyes.

Average FPS in open world = 51 (36/61)
Average FPS in cutscenes = 31 (21/52) (Cutscenes have frequent drops for some reason)

I am using FXAA, 'high' shadows, and everything else on max/ultra. VERY impressed with the performance overall. much better than Black Flag was for me.

15766664071_005b79a4af_o.png

15770086052_24d5eecae9_o.png

15583424797_07b488bb3f_o.png

axb2013

Drivers are up to date. Redownloaded and reinstalled the game and it still immediately crashes on launch never even getting past the splash screen. I disabled the overlay in the Uplay settings. Still crashes.

This is on a brand new i7 4790k, 16GB RAM, 970GTX and Crucial MX100 SSD.

I have that exact SSD, brand new, Unity is the first and only thing on it. Is there a crash prompt and what does it state? Anything in the event log?

Reizo Ryuu

I'm just going to leave this here as some sort of reference I guess.
i5 4670k 3.8ghz
8gb ram
r9 290 tri-x 4gb
cat 14.4

Everything on high, 2x msaa, ssao on, no vsync, borderless.
30-40 fps on the first segment, seemed playable to me, if the second part drops the fps too low I guess I can just drop the AA setting.

Also all of these settings were autodetected.

Like to update this.
Got to play a bit more, this time I redid the first segment with everything maxed out cept AA, put it on FXAA because for some reason the cutscenes don't enjoy MSAA + DOF and just tanks the fps.

Played up until going to the party to see the girl, and escaping from it, fps didn't seem to drop below 30, but didn't really climb much higher either, cept for at the party, where I was averaging 44~ fps.
So yeah everything Ultra high, PCSS, HBAO+, no vsync, borderless and seems fine so far.

For the people that care about Vram, my usage as around 3.7gb with the first segment, but after that it's pretty much been at 4gb, maxing out at 4026mb.

I have that exact SSD, brand new, Unity is the first and only thing on it. Is there a crash prompt and what does it state? Anything in the event log?

On further research on the Ubisoft forums I have figured out the fix.

Please put this in the OP as a suggestion for anyone else who sees this problem.

Disabling MSI Afterburner/Rivatuner statistics server seems to have fixed it. Not sure if other people are running it, maybe it different settings or something, but the game would not work with it running in the background.

axb2013

On further research on the Ubisoft forums I have figured out the fix.

Please put this in the OP as a suggestion for anyone else who sees this problem.

Disabling MSI Afterburner/Rivatuner statistics server seems to have fixed it. Not sure if other people are running it, maybe it different settings or something, but the game would not work with it running in the background.
It sucks when a new install crashes so I'm glad you got it resolved quickly. Odd enough, I have MSI AB running but haven't had any crashed so far. A lot of bugs but no crashes.

I was just on another follow mission and I fell through the roof, had to restart. There are some hilarious bugs in the game, hopefully the other ones I'll observe won't be game breaking. And being called "piss pot" all the time is starting to get annoying.

jackharm

Neo Member
Curious about vram usage. Can anyone running @ 1080p with max settings and aa tell me what your gpu vram usage looks like?

With TXAA and if I remember correctly ultra on everything (can't remember if I put textures on very high) I was hitting around 3500MB to sometimes capping at 4000MB in really crowded places.

Frame rates have been fine. (maybe a stutter here in there but that's with ultra and a really crowded spot)

Although not too sure if it's the game but I have noticed my computer shut off while save loading when exiting unity? Perhaps I need better VRM cooling as I am using a Kraken G10 on my GTX 970. Although I do have vrm heatsinks on them.

Anyways I'm getting a Corsair Air 240 soon and hopefully that'll solve this possible overheating issue?

Skyzard

Banned
With TXAA and if I remember correctly ultra on everything (can't remember if I put textures on very high) I was hitting around 3500MB to sometimes capping at 4000MB in really crowded places.

Frame rates have been fine. (maybe a stutter here in there but that's with ultra and a really crowded spot)

Although not too sure if it's the game but I have noticed my computer shut off while save loading when exiting unity? Perhaps I need better VRM cooling as I am using a Kraken G10 on my GTX 970. Although I do have vrm heatsinks on them.

Anyways I'm getting a Corsair Air 240 soon and hopefully that'll solve this possible overheating issue?

Check your temps? Just in-case it might not be a heating issue, power supply? Oh I see you can't, nvm. Can you touch the heatsinks while playing?

jackharm

Neo Member
Check your temps? Just in-case it might not be a heating issue, power supply?

Temps are around 42 degrees(via GPU-Z), and this hasn't happened in any other game until today (and only with Unity).

I'm using a Corsair RM650.

Also this is the first game I've played that has had memory usage this high.
Can you touch the heatsinks while playing?

I'll give it a light tap again later tonight if I have the time to play.

But yea, hopefully the air 240 will help with the cooling (with it in a horizontal layout it'll have two 120mm fans blowing directly on the board/vrm heatsinks I put on, which should suffice)

Kezen

Banned
Pretty heavily oc'd 580gtx sli and 2600k. Black flag actually runs really well on my PC so i'm kinda hopeful that i could play this too.

The game apparently NEEDS 2GB, it will run with less but it's a stuttering fest.

Upgrade your GPU, your CPU is fine.

Fuckin ell

Welp. I guess I'll redbox this for PS4 to see if I even like it. I have this habit of buying shit games just to see how it runs on my rig.

Skyzard

Banned
Temps are around 42 degrees(via GPU-Z), and this hasn't happened in any other game until today (and only with Unity).

I'm using a Corsair RM650.

Also this is the first game I've played that has had memory usage this high.

That doesn't seem high at all? From the little I know about them, I thought they were safe quite a bit higher...

Fingers crossed it's just a bug with the game? :S

Tried stressing your system with benchmarks recently?

i7 3610QM 2.3ghz
Nvidia GTX 660M
8 GB ram

You could try it. It would help us alot.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Recommended specs for 30 fps... hrmmm I am not sure if that should be a thing in the future.

I'm under the recommended specs and I can easily get 30+ fps with the settings mostly cranked up (just AA turned down) at 1920x1200.

I'm using the following:

i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz
16GB DDR3 1600mhz RAM
GTX 970 4GB

d00d3n

Anyone who managed to vsync the game at 30 fps without the massive input lag of the of the "fullscreen + ingame vsync" or "borderless windowed" modes? Forcing adaptive vsync at 1/2 refresh rate in nvidia inspector removes the tearing, results in minimal input lag and deals with fps drops during cutscenes in a good way, but I noticed the following bugs: the screen flashes/flickers white for less than a second repeatedly during cutscenes and the the map screen flickers/wobbles for the first second when you enter it (does not repeat after that, unless you exit and enter).

Top Bottom