• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assault Android Cactus PSVita/PS4/PC.

tusken77

floorchange.gif

Goodness, this belongs on my Vita ASAP.

Shaneus

Sony needs to let its IPs cross-feature in all these coming games!
I could honestly see something like that working. Perhaps not an *actual* Sackboy being in it, but a Sackboy-styled/themed android (like how there are no actual cameo characters in LBP, just tribute costume things).

I love Sony for letting games like these make it through to their platform. I only bought a Vita for Lumines and Wipeout, but TxK is due out soon and this probably isn't far behind it, PLUS everything else being made for PS4 that'll likely have cross-buy... I'm almost lost for words. I forget the guy's name, but it keeps popping up in some of the Twitter feeds I follow, often liaising directly with developers themselves.

That's how you do it, MS. You don't push platforms, you push games.

Paz

Any indication on price? May double dip.

$15 on PC through Humble Store & some other distribution platforms we're locking down, Windows/OS X/Linux versions. We'll be detailing pre-orders & alpha access next week, and the game will be playable at the Intel booth at PAX Prime if you're going.

$15 as a cross-buy game on PS4/Vita, #YOPO.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
$15 on PC through Humble Store & some other distribution platforms we're locking down, Windows/OS X/Linux versions. We'll be detailing pre-orders & alpha access next week, and the game will be playable at the Intel booth at PAX Prime if you're going.

Sold. Forgive my lack of reading as I missed it but is there cross save or cross play?

And will there be a beta on PS4? 20 question man!

We don't have an adversarial mode in the game so yeah it's more co-op focussed if you're in multiplayer, we tried for a few weeks to get versus modes to work but the gameplay just wasn't suited to it. Instead we've opted for a sort of competitive co-op system where the player in the team with the highest score contribution will have a crown above their head, and if another player breaks ahead of that score the crown will fly over to their head and the character will call out a light hearted jab like "Don't make it easy for me!". While the overall team score is used for determining your rank & total level store we also do a breakdown of each players kills/chains/deaths/score so you can really see who was doing what in the match :)

Avatars are currently not customisable, we're treating them more like characters in a Cave style arcade shooter where they have a unique set of weapons that gives them visual and gameplay identity, we do want to support alternate skins as unlockables though to give you some nice visual variety.
Day one out of interest but mostly out of support! I hope it soars bro..

Paz

Sold. Forgive my lack of reading as I missed it but is there cross save or cross play?

And will there be a beta on PS4? 20 question man!

We want to support cross-save for easy progress tracking & hand-off, when playing games I'm a huge fan of cross-save & cloud saves. No cross-play planned atm sorry, it's just a bit out of our three-person team's reach with one guy doing all of the programming & art.

Day one out of interest but mostly out of support! I hope it soars bro..

Thanks! I hope you like the game, we'll be doing a demo on PC very soon so maybe try it out if it's not your style of game :)

Paz

No biggie. Assuming this will be online co op? Will definitely try on PC and advise my PS4 friends on this.

Unfortunately it's local co-op only, we really want to investigate network play after launch but we'd rather surprise people with a cool feature later on than promise something we can't deliver.

November on PC, early 2014 for Vita/PS4, Definitely first half by more likely first quarter :)

thats great to hear $15 cross-buy and early next year makes it a definite buy for me for vita/ps4

Another awesome Vita game I must own. Very nice that it'll be a cross buy too. Here this thread needs some gifs:

floorchange.gif

rbomber2.gif

Saw these gifs in another thread. I hadn't heard of the game before now, but those gifs sold me on this. I love the way the floor tiles ripple and fall away. All the gameplay footage looks stylish and smooth.

Paz

Saw these gifs in another thread. I hadn't heard of the game before now, but those gifs sold me on this. I love the way the floor tiles ripple and fall away. All the gameplay footage looks stylish and smooth.

Thanks! The second GIF is actually from the NeoGAF Indie dev thread and it's a white box level with no graphics haha :p Maybe I should make some more GIF's of finished levels.

Is this arena/wave based?

Yep it's an arena shooter with waves & a chain kill system, the twist is in our dynamic level elements that can change & reconfigure like the blocks in that gif, or another level where the lights turn off and you can't see the enemy spawns except in front of your character.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Unfortunately it's local co-op only, we really want to investigate network play after launch but we'd rather surprise people with a cool feature later on than promise something we can't deliver.

Thanks for being upfront. You got a sale and will be telling my friends. Probably will double dip on PC and PS4.

Is it too early to talk about custom soundtracks on PS4? The talk has been that Sony will be using the Music Unlimited service but I hope it's more like Vita in which the music replaces the in game music seamlessly.

If there's a beta, let me know :p

Paz

Bit too early for us to be talking about PS4 OS features, but since we're an early 2014 title we'll have to have SDK parity with whatever is coming out around that time, sorry I can't be more specific yet.

There will definitely be a alpha/beta release on PC for early purchase very soon along with a demo to try out, we're actually organising the details this week.

jwk94

That second GIF is amazing. I really love the way Cactus switches weapons. Will each of the girls have their own way of switching weapons or will it be the same?

Sycle

Neo Member
That second GIF is amazing. I really love the way Cactus switches weapons. Will each of the girls have their own way of switching weapons or will it be the same?

Most of the characters will use the spin swap, although there are one (maybe two) weapon sets that will have different animations due to the way they're used.

mandiller

Bit too early for us to be talking about PS4 OS features, but since we're an early 2014 title we'll have to have SDK parity with whatever is coming out around that time, sorry I can't be more specific yet.

There will definitely be a alpha/beta release on PC for early purchase very soon along with a demo to try out, we're actually organising the details this week.

This looks great. I'll definitely pick it up for my Vita. I'm also pleasantly surprised that you guys are based in my fair city of Brisbane! If you need a tester I volunteer ;)

Shaneus

This looks great. I'll definitely pick it up for my Vita. I'm also pleasantly surprised that you guys are based in my fair city of Brisbane! If you need a tester I volunteer ;)
Digital age, my friend... pretty sure being local isn't an advantage anymore!

I've tried, trust me!

DedValve

Banned
Gifs need to become the new screenshots.

Seriously. I wouldn't be as hyped as I am if it where not for these gifs. Damn you next year!

But yeah Gifs totally needs to become a standard right alongside videos and
bull
screenshots.

Also quick question if you buy a cross-buy title on the vita it also gets you one on the PS3? From my understanding it was that you had to buy cross-buy titles on the PS3 in order to get the vita version and couldn't get it vice-versa.

I'm assuming that I'm wrong and that it doesn't matter which version you get but confirmation would be nice.

Kane1345

Actually we approached SCEA to see what was involved and he put us in touch with the SCEE team as they can better serve our region (Australia), we have an awesome account manager named Guy Richards who has been super helpful going through everything step by step with us to make it all super easy.

Shahid contacted us a short time after we had started the process (well before we were licensed devs) and made time in his personal time to skype with me and talk about the game, he and his team played and loved it and wanted to help us however they could! I was kind of taken aback when he was like "Oh lets just send you guys some dev hardware, I'll get Lorenzo to do that" when we weren't even real PlayStation developers yet, and then they offered to feature footage of us at Gamescom and include is in their PR/Blog even though we had no exclusive arrangements!

They are the real deal, passionate gamers who want great games on PlayStation, and we couldn't be happier to be working with them

Thank you for giving us a bit of insight into how Sony work's with indies. We all hear about it but to actually hear it first hand from a dev on GAF is refreshing. Your game looks awesome and I will be getting it for sure! :)

fallagin

We want to support cross-save for easy progress tracking & hand-off, when playing games I'm a huge fan of cross-save & cloud saves. No cross-play planned atm sorry, it's just a bit out of our three-person team's reach with one guy doing all of the programming & art.

Thanks! I hope you like the game, we'll be doing a demo on PC very soon so maybe try it out if it's not your style of game :)

One guy doing all the programming and art?! That is pretty damn amazing for a game that looks this stunning.

wilflare

Would there be cross-platform play? I really hope so!

I do hope you guys bring up the idea of having Sony IP feature as costumes/characters/etc as bonus should we preorder the game etc (Sony should really do the "TF2" stuff the way Valve does it on Steam)!

Shaneus

Oh dude, it was posted on this very page :(

Paz

BTW why no PS3 version?

I don't really mind since i'll have all 3 supported platforms anyway but it's curious.

Each platform adds time and complexity to our development schedule, sure we will have to optimize for Vita and we could take those optimizations to PS3 but it's still a wildly different platform and we're already stretched thin as it is. PS4 is a beast so it doesn't really add to our development the same way PS3 would, and since we're talking about 2014 it just made sense to us.

Those gifs looks almost too good for PS3. I wonder how the vita version will look.

We've already done a lot of work on the PC build to create configurations that will run at 60fps on low spec hardware, tweaking settings like SSAO/Bloom/Shadows we are running at 720p60 on an Intel HD4000. I'm sure as we get further in to development the Vita will require its own tweaks to get that 60fps performance but we have some ideas already.

One guy doing all the programming and art?! That is pretty damn amazing for a game that looks this stunning.

Cheers! I'll make sure he gets the message, his username on here is Sycle and I'm sure he'll come back to read this thread.

I do hope you guys bring up the idea of having Sony IP feature as costumes/characters/etc as bonus should we preorder the game etc (Sony should really do the "TF2" stuff the way Valve does it on Steam)!

No cross-play sorry, just not feasible for us. I'd love to talk to Sony about characters, but first we have to finish the PC, PS4, & Vita versions with the current plan :)

I like the game except for the art style... why do japanese style if they can't get it right?... they kinda look like the sort of art style you see on cheap notebooks in flea markets or those books that teach you how to draw manga style characters... not the real thing, if they can't do them right why bother?... and they're not the only ones...

Top Bottom