• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asura's Wrath |OT|

Good god, Easy mode is kicking my ass on Mortal. I really want to get the infinite rage gauge, but damn. All I have to do is beat Hard with all S ranks (including the new ending, which I haven't even attempted yet) and I'll have all the achievements.

ironcreed

Banned
Thought I would hate this based on the gameplay from the demo, but got it from Gamefly and loved the hell out of it for the experience. Thinking of eventually buying it in order to get the real ending and for the extra episodes. As for games that play like this, I'll take Asura's Wrath over something like Heavy Rain any day.

Mahonay

Banned
Since Asura's Wrath refuses to drop in price I've placed a bid for a new copy on eBay. Hoping to win it for $40 or less.

It's on sale for $55 on Amazon right now. Still feels like too much.

Cheska

I just picked this game up last week and started it today. I'm glad I didn't let the demo convince me against this game, it's been pretty damn good so far. The music during the into is beautiful!!

Footos22

Just played through the ryu dlc.

Its was ok.

Took a while to notice you still play the first part like asura and not street fighter.

Don't fancy replaying it 5 more times for a bronze trophy though.

Mahonay

Banned
I won my eBay auction for a new copy. $37 + $4 shipping. Not too bad. That will make it less painful when I buy the ending for the game.

mrgone

Just played through the ryu dlc.

Its was ok.

Took a while to notice you still play the first part like asura and not street fighter.

Don't fancy replaying it 5 more times for a bronze trophy though.

I was wondering about this! I saw the Kotaku video and it totally appeared that they'd gotten the headline wrong and it was actually Asura DLC for SSF4. Then Asura fist-grinds Ryu into the goddamned moon and it's clear it's fully Asura's Wrath again. I couldn't figure out how they'd managed to integrate the games so seamlessly when they're running on different engines, but this makes sense. It's just some really well put together shenanigans :)

megalowho

Finished Part IV, wow. A stunning, fitting conclusion.
And another WTF coda, haha.
Not going to be forgetting Asura's Wrath anytime soon.

Just one thing that stood out,
The final magic dust brofist between Yasha and Asura
was almost too corny for me. Aaalmost.

edgefusion

What's up with his arms? In that one sequence where his arms are missing it looks like they're sparking a bit and you can kinda see cables and wiring coming out of them, leading me to believe they are robotic. But then in the description of one of the illustrations it explains he can make some parts of his body become covered with metal, like armour.

So which is it? Does he have metal armour or robo-arms?

LiK

What's up with his arms? In that one sequence where his arms are missing it looks like they're sparking a bit and you can kinda see cables and wiring coming out of them, leading me to believe they are robotic. But then in the description of one of the illustrations it explains he can make some parts of his body become covered with metal, like armour.

So which is it? Does he have metal armour or robo-arms?

I think their physiology is robotic in nature and sometimes he has armor over his arms. The devs made them robotic so there's no gore for the T rating.

jbug617

Banned
Finished the game and all the DLC, I know this didn't sell well but I want a sequel. I can see this as one of best games and experiences I have this year.

Mdk7

Beat the Kanda IV during the weekend... ZOMG, so awesome.
Seriously, i dislike the idea of selling the epilogue on its own and blablabla, but this shit's just too damn fucking dope to pass.

Ryu DLC was funny and great as well, i'll surely buy the Akuma too.
Not convinced AT ALL by the anime DLCs instead.

Great experience overall, i'll definitely buy a sequel in a heartbeat.

Owensboro

I'm playing on PS3 and just had a freeze and crash when ending chapter 10. Anyone else having this problem? Just checking to see if I should be worried.

The last time a game froze on me like this (Dead Space 2) my PS3 YLOD'd 2 weeks later. I'm currently running the PS3 backup, but I don't want to lose my 60GB fatty again :(

edgefusion

My PS3 never crashed while playing Asuras Wrath, happens all the time with Skyrim though. I wouldn't worry about it, it's probably just one of those things.

I hope your talking about episode 4's ending as that was brilliant.
The normal ending. not so much.

Episode 4's ending, of course. While it was really really good, I wish capcom had just released it with the rest of the game. Would have saved me a bit a dosh and wouldn't have made themselves look like asses for selling the ending to their own damn game.

LiK

Episode 4's ending, of course. While it was really really good, I wish capcom had just released it with the rest of the game. Would have saved me a bit a dosh and wouldn't have made themselves look like asses for selling the ending to their own damn game.

it's pretty annoying that the real climax and the most awesome fights were made as DLC. this game would've gotten higher scores if it was included imo. pretty awesome moments. kinda sucks for CyberConnect2 cuz they really made something special and that extra barrier is gonna make a lot of people miss it.

Mahonay

Banned
Got my copy from EBay in today. Pleasantly surprised. It was listed as "new" but I didn't think it was completely unopened. It's still in the plastic wrap. Only cost me $40.

Can't wait to get home and start the madness. I've managed to avoid spoilers up to this point. The only thing I've seen is the giant finger sequence.

LiK

Got my copy from EBay in today. Pleasantly surprised. It was listed as "new" but I didn't think it was completely unopened. It's still in the plastic wrap. Only cost me $40.

Can't wait to get home and start the madness. I've managed to avoid spoilers up to this point. The only thing I've seen is the giant finger sequence.

that was in the demo so you're good.

Mahonay

Banned
Got into Act II today. Man, this game is fucking bananas in the best way. I love how the Acts play out like a single season or series of an anime. Just really well put together and well realized. Loving it so far.

I will say I do dislike some of the boss fights. On the other hand you do get an intense feeling of gratification when you finally hit that Burst Meter after a frustrating fight.

Volcynika

Archive of me streaming the Asura vs Akuma DLC : Link

The Street Fighter part of the battle wasn't too great, but I was ok with the Asura style battle. Just the complete absurdity of it all made it worth my extra couple of dollars.

I finally started playing this, got a used copy off Half.com for $30 a couple weeks ago. Are there any DLC episodes I should avoid purchasing, or are they all worth picking up?

Volcynika

I finally started playing this, got a used copy off Half.com for $30 a couple weeks ago. Are there any DLC episodes I should avoid purchasing, or are they all worth picking up?

Definitely get Chapter IV if you like the game. The half episodes are short but interesting anime style sequences (they are basically just QTEs though), and the lost episodes have the not-so-great Street Fighter style battles that go into Asura style fighting. Depends on what you want to see.

LiK

The Nirvana DLC is $7 of pure awesome. don't miss out on the DLC.

The anime DLC is worth it cuz it fills in some important plot points and the 2D animation is gorgeous.

I dunno about the SF DLC, probably depends if you like the crossover or not. I haven't checked it out yet.

Footos22

The street fighter dlc is good fun and cheap enough for what it is.
the trophies tied to them are to do all the mission mode challenges for them.

Doesn't take too long.

I prefered the Akuma episode though. Shame it ends with another to be continued though.

So, it seems like there is a lot of DLC for this game, and I would rather get it all on disc. Any chance of a complete disc edition later on for this game, with all current and any future DLC included?

I would love to see the monthly sales figures on this game for each of the past 3 months. I wonder if there have been more sales this month than in the first one. Maybe when inventory goes low, they will print more copies?

Chairhome

So, it seems like there is a lot of DLC for this game, and I would rather get it all on disc. Any chance of a complete disc edition later on for this game, with all current and any future DLC included?

I would love to see the monthly sales figures on this game for each of the past 3 months. I wonder if there have been more sales this month than in the first one. Maybe when inventory goes low, they will print more copies?

I honestly don't think a game like this would have a "complete" edition, since it didn't make a big impact in the market. But that's just a guess.

I bought this at Target (still on sale for $30 till Saturday!) and I'm digging it. I finished part III last night and immediately downloaded part IV, hoping to get through it in the next couple days. I thought I had to get S ranks on Hard to get the first "True Ending", so I've been playing on Hard... didn't notice till last night that it was unnecessary. Would've saved me some frustration but oh well. Ryu DLC is fun, I can't pass the 2nd part of the fight so I might bump it back down to Normal...

Phatcorns

I love this game. I will leave the stupid arguments about whether this is a game or not to the people who spend more time talking about games than they do playing them.

I love it when a game is exactly what I expect it to be and is also exactly what I want.

TheOGB

Banned
This came in the mail today, almost forgot I ordered it last week. Excited to jump into it, and will probably pick up the DLC sometime soon.

Chairhome

Beat Part IV on Hard last night. I had more trouble with the
Vlitra Core than I did with the last boss.
. Its weird, cause in a way, I understand all the complaints about the game's QTEs (they don't really affect the outcome of a scene with a few exceptions, they're mostly just for scoring), but at the same time, they are done in a way that it makes you feel empowered even if you're really not. The final QTEs were done very well, too.

The epilogue was a nice touch, also. I enjoyed the game a lot. Any fan of action anime owes it to themselves to play this game.

Only thing left for me is to beat Ryu and Akuma. Probably going to bump the difficulty down to Normal, for those.

The best part of this game is waking up, starting up the PS3, getting a bowl of cereal and playing/watching Asura's Wrath. Honestly makes me feel like I'm in elementary school again.
I've stopped at Episode 11, and won't play it 'till I can get the DLC.

-Winnie-

I'm from Aus and getting a UK PS3 copy of this game and I was wondering, does anybody know if the DLC is region free? I can't seem to find any info about it online.

So I picked this up on the cheap 2 weeks ago and today I just wrapped up the final episodes in the DLC.
Judging this game is tricky, I think firstly I should mention I did enjoy it, at times incredibly so with the absurdity making me grin like a loon. The actual gameplay itself is mediocre, it's like CC2 brought along their Naruto fighting system and tweaked it to a single player game which mostly amounts to trying to knock bosses or bigger enemies on their backsides, as the game progresses the limitations of the simple combat begins to show and bosses felt somewhat chore like at times with not so noticeable vulnerable moments. And of course everything else is quick time events, not usually my cup of tea but I knew what I was getting into here and despite them often not changing much regardless of failure they were kind of enjoyable which is more than I can say for most QTE extravaganzas.
Flight sections are equally as basic if not more so, they are fine in small doses but the extended ones can get a bit tiresome.
Still despite this I had fun with this game, hell the fact I got the DLC should attest to that (though why they hide such content behind DLC is damn near criminal, the final episode was great stuff).
I love the artstyle, very different from the norm and aside from some frame rate hiccups the visuals are pleasing to the eye especially on characters.

Anyway Asura's Wrath is a strange one but it's strange enough to warrant a playthrough, on the whole I enjoyed the game even with its faults.

So I picked this up over the weekend for $45 bucks and played through it...loved it. Grabbed Part IV and the ending was just fantastic. I wonder if they'll ever make any sort of sequel since I'm not sure how well or bad it sold. Also grabbed both the SF DLC, but I'm hating all of these to be continued though. Are there more plans for DLC or is that it?

I think I'm up to chapter 8 at the moment, and I'm absolutely having a burst blast playing this.

The first three chapters or so were kinda "eh," but things picked up really quickly after that. I've honestly been surprised at how well my scores have been. It's not like it's extremely difficult or anything, but I keep getting A's and S's when I'm expecting B's and C's, hahaha.

It's never felt so good to press the triangle button before.

I bought the DLC before I ever played the game, and I can't wait to see how this ends.

LiK

I think I'm up to chapter 8 at the moment, and I'm absolutely having a burst blast playing this.

The first three chapters or so were kinda "eh," but things picked up really quickly after that. I've honestly been surprised at how well my scores have been. It's not like it's extremely difficult or anything, but I keep getting A's and S's when I'm expecting B's and C's, hahaha.

It's never felt so good to press the triangle button before.

I bought the DLC before I ever played the game, and I can't wait to see how this ends.

hohohoho

Finished chapter 12 tonight.

SO MUCH ANGER
The hot springs thing was a very odd aside, but the trophies were amusing for it. The battle against Augus was fantastic, and the animated stuff of Asura's battle shortly thereafter were crazy. The credit list was insane... I think nearly every major animation studio in japan had some hand in it, hahahaha.

Finished the game and Part IV DLC.

Man, stuff got pretty freaking intense at the end.
Overall, I had a great time playing this. It was bombastic and crazy enough to keep me entertained throughout the duration, but there were a few things that I found myself disliking. The segments where you fought one on one with bosses could get rather tedious. They weren't awful, but they were the weakest part of the gameplay stuff.

My absolute least favorite thing about the game was Yasha. I didn't enjoy playing as him, I didn't like the fights against him, and his character really didn't do much for me either. Which, that was the saddest part, because I love Robin Atkin Downes. I think I can now understand the animosity the people had towards Raiden in MGS2 now. He just brought everything to a grinding hault for me, and I'm still not entirely sure why. I just couldn't play as him, and the fights against him were the hardest things I did in the game. The fight where you're falling in the sky, in particular. It was the only thing I died at in the entire game, and I died twice in a row before finally getting lucky enough to continue.

Anyways, it was overly machismo, ridiculous, and a total power trip, but it was extremely enjoyable. Glad I was able to give this a playthrough. Don't know that I'll be revisiting it in the near future (I want my O button to last a little while longer), but I certainly wouldn't mind returning to it at some point.

Top Bottom