• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atelier Firis |OT| The Alchemist and the Mysterious Journey

- What is with this franchise and
bringing back loli versions of the previous trilogy's protagonists
? It was dumb when they did it with
Rorona
and it's dumb now
with Escha
, especially given that
Logy is only slightly younger at best
. Next trilogy I fully expect
toddler Sophie carried around by a Plachta wearing a string microbikini

Yeah, I'm not really sure why
Logy and Escha get this re-appearance business. I get that Escha+Logy seemed to be more heavily marketed, what with an anime and all that, but were they THAT popular? It got really confusing in a timeline/setting kind of way when Logy showed up in Sophie.

I really question some of the localization decisions here. At this point good dubs have become the norm instead of the exception, but what the hell is up with Firis' VA directing? I get she's supposed to be a kid but I refuse to believe the actress is just that bad. Kids don't sound like that. Adults don't sound like that. She sounds like she's huffing helium. Escha and Sophie were examples of high-pitched protagonists done right in a non-grating fashion. Probably the worst sounding Atelier protagonist in like ever, a crown I hoped Ayesha would just forever keep.

Edit: Just got to
Reisenberg. The maniacs changed Pamela's VA. Unforgiveable.

Linkura

Got 5/5 letters with 179 days left. Time to beef up for the exam.

Edit: Framerate is a damn slideshow in one of the forest areas.. on PS4. Can't imagine how shit it is on Vita.

Parsnip

- Man, a lot of the quest descriptions are bugged. A bunch of people already know about Flowers Blooming mentioning a cow and snow (neither of which matter for the quest), but Allure of Honey and Lurks in the Cave also mention towns you haven't been to yet (Weisslock and Flocke) and people you've never met, and none of these things matter for completing the quests. It's almost like the game is mistakenly pulling the wrong tips out of a quest database or something.

I was just going to post about this issue because I just noticed it again when I did Flowers Blooming.

Linkura

Even though I have a shitload of days left, I think I might just do the exam soon anyway and see how it goes. It's tedious to try to max my stats and I don't even know if it's necessary. Plus I just want to move on story-wise.

Edit: Passed, but didn't beat anyone. I agree with everyone who said the exam was underwhelming and pretty dumb. Hope the game picks up after this as I'm kinda done with how clumsily-handled the exploration piece is.

Apparently some of the exam answers are wrong too. Someone on Gamefaqs did a text dump and the questions highlighted in red have nonsensical answers:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...IJB41NiVeNU6uhPNAymK96DSc/edit#gid=1363399312

It may not even be a bug- could be a translation error. I've seen a lot of grammatical issues too. It's like KT and Gust get lazier with every installment.

Yeah, or they're cutting back on QA or the budgets are getting smaller or something. It's a shame, because there's clearly some ambition in Firis with the introduction of the open-world format, but it seems like other areas were left half-baked to compensate.

Yeah, I'm not really sure why
Logy and Escha get this re-appearance business. I get that Escha+Logy seemed to be more heavily marketed, what with an anime and all that, but were they THAT popular? It got really confusing in a timeline/setting kind of way when Logy showed up in Sophie.

I really question some of the localization decisions here. At this point good dubs have become the norm instead of the exception, but what the hell is up with Firis' VA directing? I get she's supposed to be a kid but I refuse to believe the actress is just that bad. Kids don't sound like that. Adults don't sound like that. She sounds like she's huffing helium. Escha and Sophie were examples of high-pitched protagonists done right in a non-grating fashion. Probably the worst sounding Atelier protagonist in like ever, a crown I hoped Ayesha would just forever keep.

Edit: Just got to
Reisenberg. The maniacs changed Pamela's VA. Unforgiveable.

It's not
Escha & Logy's reappearance
that bugs me, it's Gust's continued refusal to
allow any of their protagonists to age gracefully, and by that I mean past the age of 25. They pulled this shit with Rorona too and it was extra embarrassing because they basically came out and said they didn't think it was attractive for Rorona to be in her late twenties.

As for Firis's VA, I agree that it's slightly worse than usual but they're all in the same artificially high register. It's like an Atelier trademark. I think all of the above is, on some level, Gust trying to pander to some subgroup's idea of what an Atelier girl should be: cute, young, earnest and naive to a fault, with basically no other defining personality traits. At least earlier games threw in one or two quirks; starting with Ayesha, that kind of disappears. If there was one thing I'd change about the franchise, it'd be Gust's dogged reliance on using the same basic archetype for nearly all their protagonists. I'm probably asking too much.

Linkura

The #1 thing that grinds my gears about this game is the trait system. You have remake items many, many times to be able to pass a decent number of traits onto the item. This includes equipment, so you'll have to make a ton of worthless duplicates of equipment before you can make anything with traits. Who thought this was a good idea? I mean, realistically, it makes sense that you would become better making a certain item type the more times you make it, but it just doesn't fucking work for an Atelier game. At the very least, it should have been limited to basic alchemy items that you're going to make a bunch of anyway, and not equipment or key items that you would normally only make one of. This is going to make fighting higher-end battles a complete pain, and I might bail out on any optional ones (and maybe even main quest if it gets to be too tedious).

PaulSane

The #1 thing that grinds my gears about this game is the trait system. You have remake items many, many times to be able to pass a decent number of traits onto the item. This includes equipment, so you'll have to make a ton of worthless duplicates of equipment before you can make anything with traits. Who thought this was a good idea? I mean, realistically, it makes sense that you would become better making a certain item type the more times you make it, but it just doesn't fucking work for an Atelier game. At the very least, it should have been limited to basic alchemy items that you're going to make a bunch of anyway, and not equipment or key items that you would normally only make one of. This is going to make fighting higher-end battles a complete pain, and I might bail out on any optional ones (and maybe even main quest if it gets to be too tedious).

You can use certain catalysts to increase number of traits you can pass, one of the catalysts even allows you to transfer 3 traits from the get go.

Linkura

You can use certain catalysts to increase number of traits you can pass, one of the catalysts even allows you to transfer 3 traits from the get go.

Wut. The catalyst feature is so confusing that I didn't realize. Do you know what it says on the catalyst screen for these- Trait Transfer perhaps? Thanks.

SephLuis

Wut. The catalyst feature is so confusing that I didn't realize. Do you know what it says on the catalyst screen for these- Trait Transfer perhaps? Thanks.

When you use a catalyst, it changes the lines on the alchemy. So you have trait transfer +2 in some and stacks with the trait transfer you already have

Linkura

When you use a catalyst, it changes the lines on the alchemy. So you have trait transfer +2 in some and stacks with the trait transfer you already have

Yup, got it. But as of right now the most I can see with the catalyst is +2. You still have to make tons of useless items to get the most transfers.

SephLuis

Yup, got it. But as of right now the most I can see with the catalyst is +2. You still have to make tons of useless items to get the most transfers.

Yup. I really didn't liked how the skills are tied per recipe instead of being universal. So you get a new recipe and you cannot transfer anything or even rotate the damn ingredient.

I really liked Firis for the exploration, which was a weak point in all Ateliers I played (E&L forward), but alchemy/battle/story/characters are worse =/

Really hope they can knock it out of the park with the next one.

Got to Reisenberg. Make a save game before you sign up for the test, because once you do you can't leave the city until the test begins. That happens one year after you leave home, which means if you arrive with 150 days remaining and sign up for the test, you're stuck in Reisenberg for FIVE MONTHS.

Kind of a weird thing to do.

Also,
YEAH WHAT THE HELL DID THEY DO TO PAMELA GODDAMMIT

Got to Reisenberg. Make a save game before you sign up for the test, because once you do you can't leave the city until the test begins. That happens one year after you leave home, which means if you arrive with 150 days remaining and sign up for the test, you're stuck in Reisenberg for FIVE MONTHS.

Kind of a weird thing to do.

Also,
YEAH WHAT THE HELL DID THEY DO TO PAMELA GODDAMMIT

If you go to your bed in your Atelier you actually have the option to skip to the day of the exam.

Tohsaka

So, I was looking on GameFAQs earlier and people were saying it's a good idea to just sleep until you get a bad end at the start of the game, then do a NG+ immediately since you get the benefit of all costumes having the effects of every other costume, including the ones you haven't unlocked yet. Has anyone else done this? I haven't started the game yet but it seems like it'd be really useful.

Linkura

Yup. I really didn't liked how the skills are tied per recipe instead of being universal. So you get a new recipe and you cannot transfer anything or even rotate the damn ingredient.

I really liked Firis for the exploration, which was a weak point in all Ateliers I played (E&L forward), but alchemy/battle/story/characters are worse =/

Really hope they can knock it out of the park with the next one.

The exploration in itself is nice in theory, but piss poor in execution. They make it extremely annoying with the day/night cycle as well as the clunky fast travel systems. It's like they really wanted to do an open exploration game, but had no idea how much games in the past 5 years have improved on the QOL aspect of it.

Currently post-exam trying to do quests as they pop up, but there's really very little moving the story forward at this point still. Edit: Does anyone know if the story goes anywhere at all or is it just slice of life stuff for the rest of the game? Because nothing compelling has happened for a long time. I'm going to keep playing but it may be the first Atelier game I drop. :/

So, I was looking on GameFAQs earlier and people were saying it's a good idea to just sleep until you get a bad end at the start of the game, then do a NG+ immediately since you get the benefit of all costumes having the effects of every other costume, including the ones you haven't unlocked yet. Has anyone else done this? I haven't started the game yet but it seems like it'd be really useful.

Not necessary but I suppose you could do it.

If you go to your bed in your Atelier you actually have the option to skip to the day of the exam.

Oh yeah, I always forget that you can just sleep for months. Maybe I'll do that after I pick up the last two letters, not sure if it makes sense to get that out of the way so I can do post-game stuff now or not.

The pacing of this game seems super weird, almost twenty hours in and I still don't have a real clue as to how well or poorly I'm doing compared to where the game expects me to be. I can't even tell how far into each character's storyline I am, or if there are other characters lurking out there that I haven't met yet. I actually had to look up
whether Tia even joins your party or not
. Even Escha & Logy and Shallie weren't this weird, and both those games had some unfortunate pacing issues.

I like that Gust feels like they can periodically experiment with the Atelier formula in this way, but the more I play this, the more it feels like a Shallie to me: a game I might not bother getting the Platinum for (or the Steam equivalent--there's actually an achievement that mimics the PS platinum) because it loses me too quickly. I might just need a break, though, I put a ton of hours into it this weekend.

End of Exam Spoilers:
So... Liane was waiting inside your Atelier the entire exam. But your Atelier is like pocket sized. So Firis was carrying Liane around pokeball style throughout the entire exam. This is the kind of alchemy BS I expect from Arland.

Still, for making a space-time bending house Sophie was kind of a pushover with good equipment and bombs. Guess it wouldn't be much fun if she broke out optimized gear...

Linkura

The pacing of this game seems super weird, almost twenty hours in and I still don't have a real clue as to how well or poorly I'm doing compared to where the game expects me to be. I can't even tell how far into each character's storyline I am, or if there are other characters lurking out there that I haven't met yet. I actually had to look up
whether Tia even joins your party or not
. Even Escha & Logy and Shallie weren't this weird, and both those games had some unfortunate pacing issues.

I like that Gust feels like they can periodically experiment with the Atelier formula in this way, but the more I play this, the more it feels like a Shallie to me: a game I might not bother getting the Platinum for (or the Steam equivalent--there's actually an achievement that mimics the PS platinum) because it loses me too quickly. I might just need a break, though, I put a ton of hours into it this weekend.

Totally agree. I like how you said it feels like a Shallie- worst game in the PS3/4 series imo (....before this one perhaps?). But with Shallie, I went through both girls' stories at the very least. With this, not even sure I'll finish it. There's just no motivation there.

End of Exam Spoilers:
So... Liane was waiting inside your Atelier the entire exam. But your Atelier is like pocket sized. So Firis was carrying Liane around pokeball style throughout the entire exam. This is the kind of alchemy BS I expect from Arland.

LOL!!! I didn't even think of this.

End of Exam Spoilers:
I literally thought the exact same thing when that happened.

Parsnip

Post exam, everyone should do the gravistone related quest/recipe. Highly recommended if you care at all about map completion, and also really dumb. But I guess I don't know much about Atelier games, maybe a
flying broomstick
is the norm.

So far, post exam, I've only done a few quests and gone back to Reisenberg to meet with Sophie and Plachta. Also recommended, they bump your available party size from 4 to 6. Obviously still only 4 in battles, but 6 in pocket is nice.
Though as it happens, they also join your party, so you still need to have some folks hang out in taverns or whatever.

I didn't visit every map location on my way to Reisenberg so I'm going to see if there's anything interesting around in those. Will probably see about doing at least 100% maps, probably not going to bother with all the other completionist stuff.

Linkura

Post exam, everyone should do the gravistone related quest/recipe. Highly recommended if you care at all about map completion, and also really dumb. But I guess I don't know much about Atelier games, maybe a
flying broomstick
is the norm.
It's not the norm. :) But it makes traveling a lot easier, but not as easy as I'd like at this point in the game. It's still super annoying to have to make a stop in each zone going from zone to zone with a huge map. I understand a later item helps with this, but it's going to be coming way too late.

Kaibutsu

VIvELuZ.jpg

Pre-Order Bonuses:
Pre-ordering at Amazon, Best Buy, EB Games or GameStop in North America, or pre-ordering at participating retailers in Europe, unlocks two adorable costumes that provide Firis with useful bonuses: the ”Resort Vacation" costume which increases the chances of finding high quality materials for use in synthesis, and the ”Wonderland" outfit which decreases the time it takes for synthesis and fast traveling between landmarks!

Where's the preorder DLC? I preordered from Amazon and they didn't send me anything.

Same, has anyone gotten a preorder code from Amazon or Best Buy? I preordered from bestbuy.com and still have not received one

Linkura

I'm honestly thinking of calling it quits on this game.... I haven't played any more since I last posted impressions last night, but something tells me it's going to take hours to improve or not improve at all. And I just have very low tolerance for playing games I'm not really enjoying these days. I've played all the PS3/4 Atelier games as well as Iris 1 and 2 and this would be the first one I'd quit without finishing. And yet I just don't care.

Made it to the exam.
Beat Ilmeria, but OHKOed by Sophie.
Go to the atelier to tell Lia, game crashes.

Probably fine, because now I can try for that extra achievement. But damn, there's a huge gap between when you're ABLE to take the exam and when you SHOULD ideally take the exam, at least if you're trying to get everything in one playthrough.

Linkura

Geez, I never had any crashes. The reports are all over the place. I saw one guy said he got 5 so far, and then there's people like me who have none. And I usually have terrible luck with that stuff.

Geez, I never had any crashes. The reports are all over the place. I saw one guy said he got 5 so far, and then there's people like me who have none. And I usually have terrible luck with that stuff.

Platform may have something to do with it. I feel like most of the crash reports I saw were from PS4s. I'm playing on PC, and this is my first crash.

Weird. I've sunk 25+ hours into the game and haven't had any issues with crashing yet.

They just hit me around the 21-hour mark, I think. Ended up scaling the shadows back to medium and removing Reshade, and I haven't had any crashes since. I hope it was Reshade that was the problem, because medium shadows causes this slightly annoying moire effect on various surfaces. AO I can live without, at least.

Back to the game itself: anyone else having a really difficult time getting new armor and weapon recipes? Even after spending idea points, I only have three or four types of armor I can make, and only Firis and Liane have the third-tier weapons that I can't even make because they require alchemy level 31+ (Liane's bow is 36, I think!). At least I know I can pass the test if I need to, but
beating Sophie
is going to be a challenge this playthrough, I think. I only have ~80 days to figure this out!

Arthea

I really can't understand quite a few decisions Gust made about Firis.
Like for example I finally get to sell my stuff only 15 hours into the game, I discarded hundreds of items and not like I don't need money, I need money badly. At least item limit could have been much higher if they were going to pull this no selling for you with low item limit thing.

Also it's the first Atelier game that doesn't let me fast travel or even travel from location to location fast, why? If anything it's only annoying and serves no other purpose.

PaulSane

I really can't understand quite a few decisions Gust made about Firis.
Like for example I finally get to sell my stuff only 15 hours into the game, I discarded hundreds of items and not like I don't need money, I need money badly. At least item limit could have been much higher if they were going to pull this no selling for you with low item limit thing.

Also it's the first Atelier game that doesn't let me fast travel or even travel from location to location fast, why? If anything it's only annoying and serves no other purpose.

You can unlock fast travel between locations later in the game. You can do a bunch more stuff after the time limit part, it actually feels to me like that part was just a big tutorial.

Parsnip

Back to the game itself: anyone else having a really difficult time getting new armor and weapon recipes? Even after spending idea points, I only have three or four types of armor I can make, and only Firis and Liane have the third-tier weapons that I can't even make because they require alchemy level 31+ (Liane's bow is 36, I think!). At least I know I can pass the test if I need to, but
beating Sophie
is going to be a challenge this playthrough, I think. I only have ~80 days to figure this out!

Yeah, I kind of hoped that you would only get the starting weapons as recipes and that later in the game a blacksmith would open up and do the real good shit, but I guess not.

Arthea

You can unlock fast travel between locations later in the game. You can do a bunch more stuff after the time limit part, it actually feels to me like that part was just a big tutorial.

It's way too long for a tutorial and it's too annoying in general. Especially considering how fast travel was always was available in Atelier games, as in takes almost no time to get anywhere, and only teleportation was unlockable late into a game.
I feel Firis is so restricting on so many levels for so long that it takes fun out of that game, hopefully I can stand it till getting to "better parts".
It just doesn't even feel like I'm playing an Atelier game, sadly

They just hit me around the 21-hour mark, I think. Ended up scaling the shadows back to medium and removing Reshade, and I haven't had any crashes since. I hope it was Reshade that was the problem, because medium shadows causes this slightly annoying moire effect on various surfaces. AO I can live without, at least.

beating Sophie

Easily possible even on hard mode with 80 days left.
If you haven't already make your way NW of the post lake zone. Basically just west of the winter zone. Look for the giant tree. You'll find end game traits there.

The differences between equipment are not that important. You need traits.

Biggest thing is to make sure you stack the +50 hp trait on your armor and both accessories. I think it's called Power of Life. Stack Well Rounded Power trait into all pieces of equipment. It'll give you +10 to all stats. If you find a dragon scale in a treasure chest (found in the aforementioned big tree place and on the western plains) the Dragon Aura trait also gives you +10 to all stats. This will let you survive Sophie attacks.

For attack items look for consume soul. It'll massively debuff Sophie. For damage try looking for traits like count bonus, trait super enhance and ultimate destruction or single bonus. I recommend a void core. Try to make the attack item as high quality as possible. You can chain synthesis distilled water with super quality to make 999 quality waters and neutralizers.

If you're okay with RNG use
inflict curse since it'll counter the heal spam she does. Granted the success rate is very low. It helps to use mach throw.

If you don't have some of the recipes I've mentioned remember you can force unlock items using idea points.

If you have money to spare go back to Flussheim and buy precision alchemy tools for 3000 from Mea. It massively speeds up how fast you master recipes AND it restocks in line a month. Two of them as furniture doubled recipe master rate. If you warp between campsites it takes about 1 day to go from Reisenberg to Flussheim.

Arthea

If you have money to spare go back to Flussheim and buy precision alchemy tools for 3000 from Mea. It massively speeds up how fast you master recipes AND it restocks in line a month. Two of them as furniture doubled recipe master rate. If you warp between campsites it takes about 1 day to go from Reisenberg to Flussheim.
nvm, I confused city names lol

Easily possible even on hard mode with 80 days left.
If you haven't already make your way NW of the post lake zone. Basically just west of the winter zone. Look for the giant tree. You'll find end game traits there.

The differences between equipment are not that important. You need traits.

Biggest thing is to make sure you stack the +50 hp trait on your armor and both accessories. I think it's called Power of Life. Stack Well Rounded Power trait into all pieces of equipment. It'll give you +10 to all stats. If you find a dragon scale in a treasure chest (found in the aforementioned big tree place and on the western plains) the Dragon Aura trait also gives you +10 to all stats. This will let you survive Sophie attacks.

For attack items look for consume soul. It'll massively debuff Sophie. For damage try looking for traits like count bonus, trait super enhance and ultimate destruction or single bonus. I recommend a void core. Try to make the attack item as high quality as possible. You can chain synthesis distilled water with super quality to make 999 quality waters and neutralizers.

If you're okay with RNG use
inflict curse since it'll counter the heal spam she does. Granted the success rate is very low. It helps to use mach throw.

If you don't have some of the recipes I've mentioned remember you can force unlock items using idea points.

That would explain why that area seems way harder than all the others. I set up camp there last night, so I guess I'll grind around in there for a bit. Good to know the end-game traits are there, it's actually been really hard for me to get a handle just on what items are available where, let alone where the good stuff is. I still haven't found a reliable source for Blue Steel Stone or Spirit Stone, if you can believe it.

re: Precision Instrument Kit and atelier building in general. Do you ever unlock more slots? I've already got most of my slots filled with container upgrades.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Man the lack of AA makes this look abysmal compared to Sophie.

Strings

Okay, post-exam is actually winning me back over. Phew.

Still a ton I don't like, but at least it's not a complete write-off.

Linkura

Okay, post-exam is actually winning me back over. Phew.

Still a ton I don't like, but at least it's not a complete write-off.

How so? Would love to know if it's at all worth me going back to it. I'm a bit post exam myself.

I've pretty much given up on the game and am planning to sell it after the snowstorm is cleaned up here.

That would explain why that area seems way harder than all the others. I set up camp there last night, so I guess I'll grind around in there for a bit. Good to know the end-game traits are there, it's actually been really hard for me to get a handle just on what items are available where, let alone where the good stuff is. I still haven't found a reliable source for Blue Steel Stone or Spirit Stone, if you can believe it.

re: Precision Instrument Kit and atelier building in general. Do you ever unlock more slots? I've already got most of my slots filled with container upgrades.

AFAIK you never unlock more slots. Storage space is nice but Precision Instrument Kits are the thing to stack, frankly having to grind experience with recipes is this game's worst aspect by far.

Spirit Stone can be found En-Masse in the very first level (seriously), just outside the starting village. Look for the campsite that's by the blue crystal formations. Again, with quick travel it doesn't take very long (about 2-3 days) to move from one end of the map to the other. Not sure about Blue Steel Stone, usually just check caves. It's not necessary for the best pre-exam bombs, namely the various Cores.

Arthea

I wonder why a huge hourglass and clock have no effects of any kind. A mistake?

I made them expecting time saving effects... got nothing.jpg

I wonder why a huge hourglass and clock have no effects of any kind. A mistake?

I made them expecting time saving effects... got nothing.jpg

This is just one of the many things I wish they'd explained better. It's hard to distinguish between items that are purely decorative and items that have actual effects.

Linkura

frankly having to grind experience with recipes is this game's worst aspect by far.
This plus the horrid fast travel (or lack of it) basically tells me the developers simply don't respect the player's time and wanted to add padding for the sake of padding the length. That shit infuriates me.

I honestly expected after Sophie that my days of requiring on NG+ playthrough to get all the achievements were at an end. I'm down to 30 days before the exam, though, and I don't really feel like I'm any closer to my ultimate exam goal. I'm going to see what I can do in terms of accessories and armor with what I've got, but it's not clear that I've got the ingredients to break the game just yet. My assumption is that the one trophy/achievement in question is missable, so I'll have to try again in NG+.

Linkura

I honestly expected after Sophie that my days of requiring on NG+ playthrough to get all the achievements were at an end. I'm down to 30 days before the exam, though, and I don't really feel like I'm any closer to my ultimate exam goal. I'm going to see what I can do in terms of accessories and armor with what I've got, but it's not clear that I've got the ingredients to break the game just yet. My assumption is that the one trophy/achievement in question is missable, so I'll have to try again in NG+.
Yes, it's missable, though obviously you can get it on a NG+.

Arthea

This is just one of the many things I wish they'd explained better. It's hard to distinguish between items that are purely decorative and items that have actual effects.

yup, no object shows any effects until you try to place them, that's not a good way to go about it.

Top Bottom