• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ATI 58XX Preview - Media Stuff goes in here.

marsomega

eggandI said:
Well performance increase is marginal. I can't see FFXIV requiring anything stronger than a 285 to max it out so I'm going for that next year. Woot for cheap computer parts.

According to what? Single GPU it smokes all single GPUs. In crossfire it smokes all dual GPU solutions.
What are you smoking?

Hazaro said:
Already lower than $400 is a nice start, lets see some MIR to get down to $350 on launch! :lol

I remember paying 450.00 for my 7800GTX about 4 years ago, vowed to never spend that amount again :lol

eggandI

Banned
marsomega said:
According to what? Single GPU it smokes all single GPUs. In crossfire it smokes all dual GPU solutions.
What are you smoking?

Ah I just noticed the price tag. That's actually real nice. $500 performance on a $350~380 card. Thought it would be a $500 card and compared to the 295 it doesn't seem like any normal gamer would notice the difference in performance.

Looks like i'll probably be getting this one then :)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
eggandI said:
Ah I just noticed the price tag. That's actually real nice. $500 performance on a $350~380 card. Thought it would be a $500 card and compared to the 295 it doesn't seem like any normal gamer would notice the difference in performance.

Looks like i'll probably be getting this one then :)
Nab them fast before they go up to $400 because of supply ;)

artist

Banned
marsomega said:
Don't get me wrong, I only go for Hardocp's review but what do you mean the GTX295 is better at the resolution you play at? The 5870 got 2-3 FPS higher then at any resolution the GTX295 plays crysis at and consuming 130ish less power at full load.

A new single GPU with the power + more features of a 295GTX while consuming 130 watts less power at load at 380 USD + shipping at Newegg versus 499 and up for a 295GTX. How is that NOT impressive?

Anyway I don't like toms hardware. Those are canned benchmarks. Even then, the power consumption alone is damn impressive.
People saying performance increase as marginal are just plain stupid wrong. This is basically 295 performance on a single GPU, Nvidia would love to have some even close to this right now. If they are launching the GT300 in Dec, then they better bring some EXTRA fire power or else its 1600 BB guns owning 512 machine guns. :D

just finished the article pretty decent write up but he didn't include crossfire 5870 vs 295. Seems from their analysis that the card is pretty much a 4870x2 on a chip with dx 11 instructions.

For a while I'd heard that ATI was dropping 8-channel LPCM support from RV870 because of cost issues. Thankfully, those rumors turned out to be completely untrue. Not only does the Radeon HD 5870 support 8-channel LPCM output over HDMI like its predecessor, but it can now also bitstream Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA. It is the first and only video card to be able to do this, but I expect others to follow over the next year.
(from anandtech review)

This is the last question I had about the 58xx cards, so good to get confirmation they will bitstream dolby trueHD/DTS-MA. That plus triple monitor support has me seriously excited to pick one of these up. $379 ain't bad, but I'll wait for black friday deals or closer to x-mas to see what happens pricewise.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
marsomega said:
Don't get me wrong, I only go for Hardocp's review but what do you mean the GTX295 is better at the resolution you play at? The 5870 got 2-3 FPS higher then at any resolution the GTX295 plays crysis at and consuming 130ish less power at full load.

A new single GPU with the power + more features of a 295GTX while consuming 130 watts less power at load at 380 USD + shipping at Newegg versus 499 and up for a 295GTX. How is that NOT impressive?

Anyway I don't like toms hardware. Those are canned benchmarks. Even then, the power consumption alone is damn impressive.
lol, I need to get some sleep. I confused the numbers. Yeah, the 5870 is faster by 1 frame per second in that test (1680x1050). The difference is not even worth opening my case, much less going through the hassle of selling my GTX295, and be without a GPU until I get one of these puppies.

HOLY SHIT, at memory overclocking!
HardOCP said:
"Therefore, the goal is to now overclock memory until performance starts declining, then back it off until you’ve reached the point right before the decline, and that is your maximum stable memory overclock."

HardOCP said:
The Radeon HD 5800 series memory controller has also received some optimizations. ATI has now turned on GDDR5’s Error Detection Code (EDC) similar to ECC in DRAM. This allows GDDR5 modules to reach higher frequencies while reducing errors. This could help make video cards as a whole more stable and robust, especially as you clock memory frequencies higher.

One interesting result of enabling EDC however is that overclocking consequences have now changed. In the past, when you overclocked memory on a video card it would ramp up in frequency until the video card would start throwing out artifacts, and then crash. Now when you overclock memory frequency your performance will increase until it reaches its climax and EDC kicks in fixing errors in the memory due to the frequency being too high. This means EDC will fix these problems and your performance will start to actually degrade as you increase frequency and EDC has to work harder at fixing the errors. There won’t be as much flashing polygons and artifacts anymore and no outright crashing from overclocking memory, you will only see a performance decline. Therefore, the goal is to now overclock memory until performance starts declining, then back it off until you’ve reached the point right before the decline, and that is your maximum stable memory overclock
UVD 2.0 is back, and it has been enhanced to allow to accelerated decode of two 1080p HD video streams at once. HDMI features have also been improved, supporting HDMI 1.3a. There have even be HDMI audio improvements supporting Dolby TruHD and DTS-HD Master Audio with full support for Blu-ray audio formats and up to 8 channels of 192kHz/24-bit audio. Suffice it to say, the Radeon HD 4800 series was already great at decoding video, and the Radeon HD 5800 series is just that little bit better.

Amazing.

careful

Using the HD 5870 to play DX9 games on a 22” monitor is like using a flak cannon to hunt down an offending mosquito or running a Ducati in a unicycle race; basically, it’s overkill to an extreme degree. This card begs to be used in current DX10 and upcoming DX11 games at high resolutions and IQ settings where it’s rendering prowess can be put to good use. Using it for anything less is a waste of epic proportions.
I hate when they say shit like this. No it's not a waste for people that try to achieve a perfectly stable 60fps at a 'lower' 1680x1050 resolution or for people that wanna go nuts with supersampling AA.

EDIT: Also wanted to add that lossless audio codec support for Blu-ray is good stuff. :D

gokieks

Hopefully 5850 benchmarks will come out soon. The fact that these cards can drive 3 monitors on one card (albeit with a DisplayPort-to-DVI adapter) is something that I'm ecstatic about, and I'm pretty certain to be getting one when they're widely available and pricing gets settled.

Nostromo

Great GPU, but I was expecting a bit more. I guess ATI showed (again) they can reach (by far) the highest density of flops per mm2, while not being as efficient as using that computational power as NVIDIA hw.
I am curious to see that GT300 will bring to the table now :) Though I tempted to buy a 5850 just to play with DX11 compute shaders :)

From Anandtech's review:

The catch however is that what we don’t have is a level of clear domination when it comes to single-card solutions. AMD was shooting to beat the GTX 295 with the 5870, but in our benchmarks that’s not happening. The 295 and the 5870 are close, perhaps close enough that NVIDIA will need to reconsider things, but it’s not enough to completely dethrone the GTX 295. NVIDIA still has the faster single-card solution. Meanwhile AMD is retiring the 4870 X2, which ended up beating the 5870 enough that we would consider it a competitor to the 5870. However, you can’t consider it if you can’t buy it.

Bummer.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
The 5870 X2 is where it's at for now. I'll pick up one when they drop to $200.

Edit: Newegg listed 3 different 5870 postings and they all sold out in minutes?

JoeFu

Banned
4870x2 isn't even 200 yet... I doubt the 5870x2 will ever be close to 200, although 5870 :D I will probably get one when it hits that price point.

gokieks

Kaako said:
6 months to 1 year hopefully?
But by that time something more amazing shall be released...hmmm.

The 4870x2, which is being phased out with the introduction of the 5870, still costs over $300, and if the price delta between 4870 and 5870 is any indication, costs less than the 5870x2 at launch. So no, I don't think the 5870x2 will ever drop to $200.

careful

_leech_ said:
From Anandtech's review:

Bummer.
Keep in mind early drivers as well.

From looking at those 5870 crossfire results, I'm probably gonna skip this generation and wait for 6870 / Nvidia equivalent. The 'old' GTX 260 is still holding up fine.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Think I should upgrade my 4870X2 to one 5870? I'm not going to be gaming much on the PC but I'd love to have one single card that powerful and consume much less energy.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Nostromo said:
Though I tempted to buy a 5850 just to play with DX11 compute shaders :)
Don't you already get to play with far more capable stuff then compute shaders on daily basis? :p (Yes, there's just a hint of jealousy in that sentence).

Anyway does this mean prices will drop or not? I wanted to get a 275 but was waiting for it to drop prices :p

gokieks

Fafalada said:
Anyway does this mean prices will drop or not? I wanted to get a 275 but was waiting for it to drop prices :p

Once the 5870 and 5850 are both available and with stabilized supply, prices on existing nVidia cards will almost certainly drop - I'd wager the GTX 275s will probably be around $180 mark soon, down from the $220 they can be found at now.

Kevin

These benchmarks don't really impress me personally but I might pick up a 5870X2 4GB depending on how well that performs. The 5870 is barely handling Crysis, a two year old game on high settings which is in part why I'm not really impressed.

The 5870 reviewed today has what, 1gb of memory? How do you guys think the 5870X2 4gb will perform next to it?

diddlyD

Banned
woohoo! the benchmarks make me feel great about my $500 4870x2 purchase a year ago! it can still hang quite nicely with the single 5870! maybe ill upgrade with a 6870x2 next year.

So yeah, just ordered the XFX 5870 off ncix for a total of $467 canadian dollars. Did I do good GAF? I'm upgrading from a 8800gt so I expect great things. :D The card apparently comes with a code for DIRT 2 which is a game I was probably gonna get regardless so that makes the price somewhat easier to chew on. I'll be sure to post impressions when I get it.

DieH@rd

Banned
Rayven_king said:
I know damn near nothing about Pc graphics but I've been offered a HD4870 2GB VaporX Edition is this any good

Its very good. You can play everything in 1080p with absolutely no problem [except Crysis :D ]

Psychotext said:
...and NFS SHIFT.

/beats EA to death

whoa, fo realz? the only bench of shift i saw with the 5870 was super high fps. I guess that game can only be unlocked with the power of 1600 shader processors?

marsomega

_leech_ said:
From Anandtech's review:

The catch however is that what we don’t have is a level of clear domination when it comes to single-card solutions. AMD was shooting to beat the GTX 295 with the 5870, but in our benchmarks that’s not happening. The 295 and the 5870 are close, perhaps close enough that NVIDIA will need to reconsider things, but it’s not enough to completely dethrone the GTX 295. NVIDIA still has the faster single-card solution. Meanwhile AMD is retiring the 4870 X2, which ended up beating the 5870 enough that we would consider it a competitor to the 5870. However, you can’t consider it if you can’t buy it.

Bummer.

The Anandtech review was absolutely terrible. I suggest you read the Hardocp one. The review was a mess not to mention they're terrible with their numbers. Besides numbers feeling off, the reviewer seems like he doesn't even understand his own numbers. Maybe he does and sucks at writting a review but it feels like someone else tested this card and threw him the graphs and he wrote stuff as he went graph to graph and called it a day.

Overall I'm impressed. A single GPU solution matching a 295GTX (dual GPU solution) while only consuming 5 more watts then the 4890 at full load.

pestul

What a wide spectrum of reviews. The Guru3D review would lead you to believe it was the 2nd coming.. and then others seem like only a marginal upgrade over the previous gen. I like the Guru one because you can clearly see that it is easily the leader in the single chip cards and nearly doubles 4870 performance.

DieH@rd said:
Few days ago i saw Shift on my friends PC [phenom ii 550, 4870, 1600*1000] and it worked fine.
Well, there's a ton of us waiting for a patch at the moment because for a lot of people with ATI cards the framerate is utterly pathetic.

pestul

coj2_1920_1200.gif

clearsky_1920_1200.gif

farcry2_1920_1200.gif

Binabik15

Noob: How will D11 features change the playing field? Perfomance under Windows 7? When will D11 (improved/enabled) games hit? /noob

I think by the time my brother can afford a new pc we will find a card that´ll let us enjoy many great things for a nice price that WONT melt holes into the floor (or kill polar bears) :D

I think I need to buy this 5870.

I'll probs also need to upgrade my processor. Quad 2.2ghz might be a little bottleneck.

I have this CPU:
AMD Phenom 9500 Processor HD9500WCGDBOX - 2.20GHz, 4 x 512KB Cache, 1800MHz (3600 MT/s) FSB, Agena, Quad-Core, Retail, Socket AM2+, Processor with Fan

I'm thinking of upgrading to to the Phenom II 3.0GHz
will my motherboard support it? I remember someone mentioned it might now

this is my mobo:
Asus M2N-SLI Motherboard - NVIDIA nForce 560 SLI, Socket AM2/AM2+, ATX, Audio, PCI Express, Gigabit LAN, S/PDIF, USB 2.0, Firewire, Serial ATA, RAID

Top Bottom