• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ATI 58XX Preview - Media Stuff goes in here.

I'm a bit pissed that I just recently got a GTX 275 now. Oh well, that was only an upgrade. In a year or two I'll start from scratch with new CPU and all, and hopefully then things will be even better.

Will a 3.2GHZ Core2Duo E6750 be a bottleneck for the 5850 or 5870?

Currently running a 4870 1GB.

Im looking to upgrade to a 5870x2 4 GB next year with a 6 Core AMD CPU when released.

datamage

Linkzg said:
I'm a bit pissed that I just recently got a GTX 275 now. Oh well, that was only an upgrade. In a year or two I'll start from scratch with new CPU and all, and hopefully then things will be even better.

Tell me about it, I purchased a 275 a couple months ago. I got it for $200 which was a steal then, so it's not horrible. Besides, almost everything runs buttery smooth on it. (minus Crysis of course.)

I'm glad to see graphic cards at a decent price for great performance. At the rate things were going, I thought GPUs would be $1000 by now. Kudos to ATI for keeping the prices in check.

dejan

I'm pleasantly surprised by the pricing of these new cards here in germany. Several shops list them already (tho not in stock yet). The 5850 starts at 213€ and the 5870 at 316€. I expected the 100€ price difference between the two models, but I thought it would be something like 280€/380€ at launch.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I kinda want to get a 5870 (got a 4870 atm), not sure why as I'm happy with my current performance and I'd probably want to upgrade my CPU first (Q6600 currently). Doesn't help I just got my student loan in.

JudgeN

SO whats the odds of the 5890 being shorter then the 5870? Don't know if it will fit in my case and that makes me a sad panda.

Ikuu said:
I kinda want to get a 5870 (got a 4870 atm), not sure why as I'm happy with my current performance and I'd probably want to upgrade my CPU first (Q6600 currently). Doesn't help I just got my student loan in.

Q6600 is a fine processor especially if you have it overclocked around the 3.2-3.6 area. There isn't going to be a need to upgrade it for a long time. Now my personal option as someone with a Q6600/HD4870, I think its showing its age already. I can't lock 60 FPS at 1680x1050 with NO AA in most of the games I own. I'm looking to upgrade but I'm wait for the 5890, it should be cheaper/more powerful and hopefully smaller :lol

No_Style

The 5870 is a fantastic achievement, but at $379 USD? It's out of my price range. (The card length is a deterrent as well) If the TechPowerup benchmarks are accurate, the 5850 seems to be the new golden card for me.

I can't wait to see what TechReport & AnandTech have to say about it.

nib95

Banned
Can someone roughly calculate how much performance (on average %) the 5870 gives over the 5850 based on a number of those reviews? It's a £100 difference in price which is pretty heavy. So I'm just trying to decide which I should go with.

jett

D-Member
FirewalkR said:
"minus crysis", "except crysis"...

It's so funny to read these sentences almost in 2010. :lol

And so sad at the same time. :(

People buying these cards sure must love replaying Crysis. :p

No_Style

nib95 said:
On average, does a 5850 beat out a GTS275/285?

I don't know. I think we should wait. After reading both the articles from TechReport and AnandTech, the 5850 seems to be the card to watch. It seems that it'll be the one that will define the pricing structure between NVIDIA and AMD.

nib95 said:
On average, does a 5850 beat out a GTS275/285?
techPowerUp simulated its performance with a 5870, and it beat the 285 on average at all resolutions. We'll see if that holds with the retail card, but chances are pretty good.

I'm also glad to see the 5850 debuting at $260 instead of $300.

nib95

Banned
rohlfinator said:
techPowerUp simulated its performance with a 5870, and it beat the 285 on average at all resolutions. We'll see if that holds with the retail card, but chances are pretty good.

Well, in the UK the price difference is £100 (£200 for the 5850 vs £300 for the 5870). I'm personally wondering whether I can even justify £100 (1/3rd of the cost) for what seems to be roughly a 13% performance boost. Seems like the 5850 is the one to beat.

Xdrive05

rohlfinator said:

I thought it was supposed to debut at under $200 though? I would bite at ~$199 personally, but not $259. Will wait for benchies on it though...

Xdrive05 said:
I thought it was supposed to debut at under $200 though? I would bite at ~$199 personally, but not $259. Will wait for benchies on it though...
That was just a rumor, everything official out of AMD said sub-$300.

It'll probably drop to near $200 with rebates by Christmas, although there have been reports that it'll be in shorter supply compared to the 5870.

The techPowerUp simulated benchmarks are probably very close to the actual card's performance, although they couldn't test the power/noise levels since they're using 5870 hardware.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I'm more excited about the 5850 than the 5870. TechPowerPUp underclocked the 5870 to 5850 specs and disabled two SIMDs to simulate 5850 performance, and if their estimates are right then it's within 15% of the 5870 at a much lower price.

Macattk15

Looks like I'll bite the bullet and grab one of these (5870) when I see it on Newegg. Gonna be dumping my 8800gt's .... you did well my friends, you did well.

Or maybe I'll just buy a damn 4870x2 .... decisions ...

Durante

I just read in the techreport review that they stopped using their adaptive semi-trilinear filtering on the 58xx series. IMHO that's actually a more important improvement than the completely angle-independent filtering.

Launch pricing seems to be £200/£300 here in the UK, not bad at all in my book, could have been a whole lot worse. The 5850 is seriously good value at £200, makes the 4890 and GTX 275/285 pretty damn horrible buys now.

The news of the super low idle power consumption and bitstreamed HD audio over HDMI is very nice indeed.

Oh, and the return of supersampling to ATI cards! Yay!

The 5850 is the real news here. At $260/£200 its the new 7600gt/8800gt/4850 in my book.

Durante said:
I just read in the techreport review that they stopped using their adaptive semi-trilinear filtering on the 58xx series. IMHO that's actually a more important improvement than the completely angle-independent filtering.

I never understood why they persisted with that for so long. Glad its finally been ditched.

Rabid Wolverine said:

Im looking to upgrade to a 5870x2 4 GB next year with a 6 Core AMD CPU when released.

It probably will in a few games like GTA 4, Saints Row 2 and ARMA 2. You'll still be GPU bottlenecked once you crank the settings at decent resolutions with most games though. An E6600 is still more than enough for 60fps in most titles.

EGM92

JudgeN said:
SO whats the odds of the 5890 being shorter then the 5870? Don't know if it will fit in my case and that makes me a sad panda.

Q6600 is a fine processor especially if you have it overclocked around the 3.2-3.6 area. There isn't going to be a need to upgrade it for a long time. Now my personal option as someone with a Q6600/HD4870, I think its showing its age already. I can't lock 60 FPS at 1680x1050 with NO AA in most of the games I own. I'm looking to upgrade but I'm wait for the 5890, it should be cheaper/more powerful and hopefully smaller :lol

Not going to happen, to keep costs down, they're not going to engineer a new board. What they'll do if anything is adjust the core to accommodate faster, increase the die size (like the 4870 to 4890).

marsomega

3wayportrait.jpg

Rabid Wolverine said:

5870 was bottleneck in one review by 3.7ghz i7 ...

http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-5870-review-test/23
Released last year and still on top of my list. Again we have all the eye candy enabled in BIA. Look at the 111 entries... yep, that's a CPU bottleneck. The GPU is too fast for the processor and as such is waiting on the CPU. Quite funny when you realize we use a Core i7 965 that is clocked at 3.75 GHz.

Durante

Durante said:
I just read in the techreport review that they stopped using their adaptive semi-trilinear filtering on the 58xx series.
Ugh. After some more reading on B3D it seems they are still undersampling, but not as much as before.

zbarron said:
That didn't take very long. I wonder how much longer the i7 has left in it before it starts bottlenecking at below 60fps.
Crysis already bottlenecks an i7-975 right around 60fps, but in most cases you'll be GPU-bottlenecked long before that. It'll be a while before that's widespread at all, though. It would be suicide for a developer to design a game engine that chokes a CPU that much and not scale it down to work on a larger majority of machines.

Minsc

Gold Member
zbarron said:
That didn't take very long. I wonder how much longer the i7 has left in it before it starts bottlenecking at below 60fps.

I'd say at least 5 years until it's a widespread issue.

kevm3

The three monitor thing is somewhat interesting, but they really need to get monitors without the borders.

I'd rather have more detail stuffed into one screen than dividing it up into three screens, but I guess this shows the potential of this future technology.

FoxSpirit said:
Oh great... will the 5850 even be worth a thought on my oced E4400@2.9Ghz or will it bottleneck?

Its upto you.

You'll always be able to crank the settings to the point where the GPU becomes the bottleneck. If your CPU is delivering enough performance for you now, then it'll deliver enough performance with a 5850.

x3sphere

rohlfinator said:
Crysis already bottlenecks an i7-975 right around 60fps, but in most cases you'll be GPU-bottlenecked long before that. It'll be a while before that's widespread at all, though. It would be suicide for a developer to design a game engine that chokes a CPU that much and not scale it down to work on a larger majority of machines.

Stock? I've seen some Crysis benches at low res with Physics set on enthusiasts they got around 80-90FPS. Still a lot of room there.

Linkzg said:

I think in terms of price/performance the 275 is a MUCH better buy. Seeing as you can pick up a 275 for $200 after rebate, is it really worth $180 more for 30-40% more performance? Especially considering Crysis is the only game that stresses a 275, that makes the value proposition even lower.

marsomega said:

Genuine question to you lovely self-regarding image-conscious PC types:

Things like the wrong type of AA and Micro-stuttering are a problem but having FUCKING GREAT BLACK BORDERS IN THE MIDDLE OF YOUR PICTURE is not?

Please explain.

nib95

Banned
x3sphere said:
Stock? I've seen some Crysis benches at low res with Physics set on enthusiasts they got around 80-90FPS. Still a lot of room there.

I think in terms of price/performance the 275 is a MUCH better buy. Seeing as you can pick up a 275 for $200 after rebate, is it really worth $180 more for 30-40% more performance? Especially considering Crysis is the only game that stresses a 275, that makes the value proposition even lower.

Saying that, the 5850 would be better value still.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
LabouredSubterfuge said:

Things like the wrong type of AA and Micro-stuttering are a problem but having FUCKING GREAT BLACK BORDERS IN THE MIDDLE OF YOUR PICTURE is not?

Please explain.
Off course it is. I'd much rather game on a single monitor than look at big ass black gaps in the middle of the picture. An acceptable way would be if you use the other screen as a map (especially for RPGs and MMOs).

ghst

thanks for the laugh
LabouredSubterfuge said:

Please explain.

grandeur, opulence. can, not should.

a glorious, whimsical species.

Top Bottom