• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlantic Hurricane season 2017 |OT|

Nydius

I just moved to NC this year and it's my first hurricane season. I've got a whole bunch of water - anything else I should stock up on? Those projections are making me a little nervous.

Batteries, flashlights/lanterns, canned goods, a battery-powered radio, maybe a generator if you don't already have one.

Just to add: If you have pets don't forget you have to stock supplies for them as well.

Not sure if you have one or can pick one up but having a propane camp stove can be a real lifesaver if you lose power for a prolonged period of time and have all electric appliances. Can be used to cook and boil water if necessary. Having my old Coleman propane two-burner stove made the aftermath of 2003's Isabel mostly tolerable.

Batteries, flashlights/lanterns, canned goods, a battery-powered radio, maybe a generator if you don't already have one.

I'm ordering some lanterns and will pick up some batteries/canned goods from the store tomorrow. I'm not on the coast, but I'm in the Triangle area and that's in the path of some of the projections. It'll be nice to have that stuff just in case.

Just to add: If you have pets don't forget you have to stock supplies for them as well.

Not sure if you have one or can pick one up but having a propane camp stove can be a real lifesaver if you lose power for a prolonged period of time and have all electric appliances. Can be used to cook and boil water if necessary. Having my old Coleman propane two-burner stove made the aftermath of 2003's Isabel mostly tolerable.

I've got tons of dog food thankfully, and a bunch of food for my cat so I should be okay there. I'll look into getting a propane camp stove.

Thanks, both of you.

zulux21

I'm ordering some lanterns and will pick up some batteries/canned goods from the store tomorrow. I'm not on the coast, but I'm in the Triangle area and that's in the path of some of the projections. It'll be nice to have that stuff just in case.

I've got tons of dog food thankfully, and a bunch of food for my cat so I should be okay there. I'll look into getting a propane camp stove.

Thanks, both of you.

I mean best case the hurricane completely misses you, and you don't need the stuff right away but you might someday. pretty much anything you want in this situation will last for years so it's not bad to have a supply on hand.

It's almost certainly overdoing the intensity. But not as much as this model.

hmon_mslp_wind_11L_43.png

ned-death-star.gif

Retro

I just moved to NC this year and it's my first hurricane season. I've got a whole bunch of water - anything else I should stock up on? Those projections are making me a little nervous.

To this (and the other bits of advice, especially regarding pets) I would add...

• Zip-lock bags. Lots of 'em, maybe just buy a whole box just for your emergency kit. You never know when you may need to keep something dry like your wallet, cellphone, etc.
  • Hand Sanitizer and Wetnaps. You're going to be pooping in the dark with no running water.
  • Empty cat liter jugs (not the big buckets, the jugs). I keep two under each sink, way in the back, and when the storm gets close top 'em off with water for flushing toilets with (in addition to filling the tubs when the storm gets close).
  • A deck of cards. Hey, not everything has to be life-saving, and this will at least keep you from running your phone battery down.
I picked up a few cheap solar-powered lanterns a few years back and they've been handy too, much safer than candles. You'll also want to start each hurricane season making sure you have someplace to safely store any lawn furniture, grills and such that can become airborne during a storm, get your tie-downs ready if there's anything you need them for, etc.

Then, if a storm is about a week away and may hit your area, keep your car's gas tank topped off (rather than waiting to fill it all the way up when there's a rush) and start keeping your cell phone chargers with your kit when not in use. If you need to leave, you'll want those and this is a good way to know where they're at.

If you're definitely going to get hit, fill your bathtub(s) and the aforementioned jugs with water; this will come in handy for flushing your toilets if you lose power. I'd also keep a list of shelters handy if it looks bad (and make note of which ones are pet friendly). I also get the cat carriers out and near the door so we can get our furry friends out quickly if needed.

GodofWine

Freeze milk jugs full of water. A few will keep ypur food cold and worst case is that they are water.

Freeze bottles water too, cant have enough ice in a power outage.

Synless

So I am moving to South Carolina next week Friday and this hurricane has me nervous as fuck. I'm from Michigan so this kind of storm is new to me. I look at Texas and know being only 35 min from the coast this could happen to me.

Setmeni

I guess everyone in Tampa is worried enough about this storm. I had to go and get three different Walmarts to even get bottles of water.

I'm at Disney World till Saturday. I know Orlando is inland, but should I be concerned? Our plan is to head home to Indiana first thing Saturday morning.

Setmeni

I'm at Disney World till Saturday. I know Orlando is inland, but should I be concerned? Our plan is to head home to Indiana first thing Saturday morning.

In my experience in Orlando from before I moved to Tampa, you should be relatively safe in one of the resorts. I wouldn't go exploring as Orlando is only an hour away from the coast.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!

Euro model doesn't have it passing near till Sunday so if out Saturday morning should be good, unless it's speeds up or something.

That GFS posted a couple pages back reminds me very much of Fran (1996) -- landfall near Wilmington and a jog to the west towards Raleigh. That'd... suck. I live near Raleigh, my parents are in Sneads Ferry, and my in-laws have a home in Pine Knoll Shores.

I'm not good at all these charts and shit and I know the news/weather people love to hype shit so whats the realistic chances of this Irma being superbad?

cirrhosis

I'm not good at all these charts and shit and I know the news/weather people love to hype shit so whats the realistic chances of this Irma being superbad?

Worry about it in three or so days. It's far enough out right now that models are coming with all sorts of results. Sure, a lot of them are not good but nothing is definitive yet.

mo60

It will likely be bad if it made landfall as a large hurricane anywere.Will it be a sub 900mb monster if it makes landfall somewhere like some models are showing right now. I highly doubt it.You don't really need to worry about it yet but I do suggest to prepare for it in case it affects you.

Bought 3 cases of water the other day. Going to stock up on some canned food as well. Probably going to get a flashlight and some batteries as well. Already have candles.

I'm in North Florida near tally, so even though we haven't had a major hurricane in a while, it's better to be on the safe side.

Retro

So I am moving to South Carolina next week Friday and this hurricane has me nervous as fuck. I'm from Michigan so this kind of storm is new to me. I look at Texas and know being only 35 min from the coast this could happen to me.

See above posts on getting a hurricane kit together, be ready before the storm instead of one of these shit-biscuits who wait until the last minute and fight over cases of water.

I'm a transplant from Northern Indiana so we probably experienced similar weather. Hurricanes are like the big evening thunderstorms that fire up in the plains and make their way east, except instead of blowing through in 30-40 minutes, those conditions stay with you for hours, sometimes days (as Harvey showed). If you're used to the kind of tornado-spawning storm complexes I think you are, you know roughly what to expect in terms of intensity (maybe a bit higher depending on the strength of the hurricane); once the excitement wears off you've still got hours and hours of that crap to deal with (and yes, hurricanes spawn tornadoes, so you're constantly watch for those too).

If you're near the ocean itself, expect the worst flooding you've ever seen on top of all that (that's the storm surge). That's not to say you need to be near the ocean to see flooding (and river or stream will do), but storm surge is a different kind of beast all together.

Culex

Banned
So it went from b-line NYC to Virginia, to now Tampa? This is why the model updates are worthless until 4-5 days out

Retro

So it went from b-line NYC to Virginia, to now Tampa? This is why the model updates are worthless until 4-5 days out

That's why everyone here says they're worthless 4-5 days out. Only people who hype up storms are those who don't know any better and those who like to hype shit up.
JUWnj.gif

There not worthless but you should be taking generalities of the model runs. Like we know that it will eventually turn north just don't know when that turn will happen.

Batteries depending on how far inland you live. Many of our power lines are still held up by pine trees. They will snap pretty easy. Not sure about the coastal areas though.

Batteries depending on how far inland you live. Many of our power lines are still held up by pine trees. They will snap pretty easy. Not sure about the coastal areas though.

I'm in Raleigh. Tons of big old oak trees in my neighborhood, too.

Thanks everyone for your advice. Regardless of where this thing heads, it'll be good to have an emergency kit put together for future hurricane seasons.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Can't stress this enough but get some kind of battery operated radio. It can provide news updates and some music to pass the time.

I recommend getting one that can be charged with a hand crank. They also make flashlights charged with a hand crank. They are easy to find and fairly cheap on Amazon.

Rigbones

Neo Member
00Z GFS shows that the entire state of Florida is still in the game. Intensity is still overdone, and one model run by itself shouldn't be taken as a forecast, but if I lived there I would probably be making some preliminary preparations just to be safe. Just shows how unpredictable this situation is.

Also, important to note that Cuba gets a landfall before this frame.

gfs_mslp_wind_seus_30.png

00Z GFS shows that the entire state of Florida is still in the game. Intensity is still overdone, and one model run by itself shouldn't be taken as a forecast, but if I lived there I would probably be making some preliminary preparations just to be safe. Just shows how unpredictable this situation is.

Also, important to note that Cuba gets a landfall before this frame.

gfs_mslp_wind_seus_30.png

welp

That is worst case scenarios for South Florida because it'll have the worst part of the storm going over the most populated areas.

Weird thing here is its not account for the mountains in Cuba that usually shred storms.

Also to consider, with each run it's getting closer and closer to the gulf.

Edit: Looks like she'll be intensifying quite a bit tonight.
J9hHpSu.gif

Griss

NHC latest cone shifts the storm slightly south compared to the previous cone. You can expect these updates at 2,5,8, and 11 am/pm from now until the storm dissipates.

ld26T6G.png

Yeah, this is all anyone in the office will be talking about tomorrow... it just keeps getting worse and worse.

Here's us circled in red...

31HpiAK.png

Still think it'll pull north with a day to spare, but it's time to worry.

Funny thing is how everyone here is so blase about these storms because they usually miss us at the last moment. No one even thinks about preparing until two days before landfall. It's almost seen as gauche to do so. The ladies at the checkout line in the store were laughing at me for buying water so early tonight. And usually I don't. I just have a bad feeling about this one.

Top Bottom