• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus' dungeon crawler "Baroque": what's the word?

Volcynika

Yeah, I know. I actually find people though
like the green dress girl (forgot her name)
but I have no idea what to do about her.

LordGek

Volcynika said:
Yeah, I know. I actually find people though
like the green dress girl (forgot her name)
but I have no idea what to do about her.

You will eventually get the item she seeks, assuming you mean Eliza.

For the most part, though, I think it is just important you talk to everybody. There is a character in town asking for a very specific common item, I suggest you get it for them (toss it in a Sensory Orb to get it to your town storage and then just give it to them next time you're back in town).

Volcynika

Yeah, I've been trying to do that actually, but everytime I actually FIND a consciousness orb, I don't have the item! I then begin swearing and etc.

LordGek said:
You will eventually get the item she seeks, assuming you mean Eliza.

For the most part, though, I think it is just important you talk to everybody. There is a character in town asking for a very specific common item, I suggest you get it for them (toss it in a Sensory Orb to get it to your town storage and then just give it to them next time you're back in town).

yeah I just did what you're talking about last night. I'm starting my 4th run this morning...

How long until you get to a point where you can store items? I've gone down something like 15 floors without running into a collector. I'm carrying about 4 of those soul orb things, and some other choice equipment I'd like, but without banking any of this I'm just going to lose it all. I feel like I won't make any progress unless I actually find a way to store stuff soon.

Marvie_3

Banned
slasher_thrasher21 said:
Yeah.... seems this and Opoona are like trying to pull teeth when it comes to getting them. I had someone from GAF purchase me Opoona and ship it. I lucked out with Baroque and got the one and only copy in my town.
That would be me! :D If anyone is looking for Baroque, there are still a couple copies in my town. I could help out....

Saitou

Banned
Marvie_3 said:
That would be me! :D If anyone is looking for Baroque, there are still a couple copies in my town. I could help out....
How much to ship to Argentina? =S

And not the cheap way, either, since argentine customs has the tendency to swallow shipments whole.

Marvie_3 said:

That WOULD be you my friend and you are awesomely reliable! Still haven't popped in Opoona but man, without you, I'd still be short a kid and his balls. lol

sk3tch

Destructoid Review is up...and it's not good.

http://www.destructoid.com/destructoid-review-baroque-80737.phtml

It's another..."this game is a roguelike, if you don't like that, you won't like this...just like I didn't like it." review.

I don't get it. The graphics aren't great...fine. The story can be confusing (that's the point...piece it back together)...fine...but the game is fun. I would definitely give this game at least a 6/10 (if I'm knocking off points aggressively)...but a 7 out of 10 is not unreasonable. Plus, for me, the fun factor is really high. It's just fun to pop into and play a bit. Very easy to get into.

Volcynika

I'm reviewing for the site I work for now, and I'm still kinda wavering between what I'm going to give it, because I know people will just see the score and not the review. But the game is still good, and I hope to still get that point across.

birdchili

of course, it sounds like it's an action roguelike with a bad camera. "action" and "bad camera" are never good, and don't really belong in this genre.

sk3tch

birdchili said:
of course, it sounds like it's an action roguelike with a bad camera. "action" and "bad camera" are never good, and don't really belong in this genre.

That's very true. The camera is, for me, the worst aspect of the game. It is manageable by using the + button (kind of a lame hack, but yeah)...but it's still terrible. One of the worst I've come across in some time.

i don't know.... the camera doesn't bother me! I am loving this game SO hard :D

sad thing is I only have 1 more day before Okami, then another 6 days before FES.........

THE BACKLOG GROWETH

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Just put about an hour into the Wii version. Looks and feels rather demented. Screams "LOW BUDGET SMT WITHOUT ANY OF LEGITIMATE QUALITIES"... just a bit, anyway. I'm kind of digging the whole real-time action-based roguelike thing though.

birdchili

Mejilan said:
I'm kind of digging the whole real-time action-based roguelike thing though.
i'd be all over this if not for the camera complaints. bad cameras in games where you need to be quick make me nutters and i'm already slightly on edge from the opoona camera (which isn't terrible, really, and not required to be used deftly).

Lakupo

Hrm, I've had stuff I've been meaning to sell so I can afford this, but I keep forgetting to put up the auctions. I really want to get this. It needs my support!

Looking over the comments on Dtoid and Gamervision, while the reviews are flawed, I don't know if "it's a rogue-like, it plays by rogue-like rules" is the best counter. It may be true, but it's not exactly inclusive. I think a lot more people would like these games if they gave them a fair shot, but saying it's great for rogue-like fans doesn't make it sound better for your average joe.

People have psychological barriers to a lot of rogue-like concepts -- risk, loss of accumulated inventory, wealth, experience -- and confronting those barriers head-on just gets interpreted as "another douchebag on the internet thinks he's hardcore." I think it's better to emphasize that while those may be terrible things in another game (losing your levels and abilities in a Final Fantasy would suck), rogue-likes giveth as much as they taketh away. You lose stuff? Hey, there's a ton of stuff on every floor to replace it and it's easy to gain levels.

I don't know if Baroque is a good first rogue-like either, since it centers around death more than most rogue-likes.

..hrm, I must be listening to too much political news, I feel like I'm advocating for rogue-likes like a presidential candidate. "Keep the focus on the positives!" :lol

birdchili said:
i'd be all over this if not for the camera complaints. bad cameras in games where you need to be quick make me nutters and i'm already slightly on edge from the opoona camera (which isn't terrible, really, and not required to be used deftly).

The camera isn't really that bad 90% of the time. In can get pretty bad near corners and in hallways though. Didn't really take me all that long to get acclimated to it.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Hitting + resets the camera, for what it's worth. At least on the CC. I'm not brave enough to play it with Remote/Nunchuk.

As far as the story goes, is it any good and is "piecing it back together" fun (or perhaps better put, is it a major impetus to continuing the game)? Do any of your character's actions play a role in it?

I'm looking to pick this game up, but the story is the make or break part of the game for me. I understand it's a niche rogue-like game so the graphics and gameplay style issues that reviewers are struggling with don't bother me. I can happily deal with it so long as the story is good.

Sorry to have bother anyone who replies with this, the reviews I've seen make little mention of whether the story is good or not, just that the game is terrible for various reasons.

EDIT: That was quick, found my answer in some fairly good reader reviews. I'll be picking this game up tomorrow.

LegatoB

PedroLumpy said:
How long until you get to a point where you can store items? I've gone down something like 15 floors without running into a collector. I'm carrying about 4 of those soul orb things, and some other choice equipment I'd like, but without banking any of this I'm just going to lose it all. I feel like I won't make any progress unless I actually find a way to store stuff soon.
Well, it's a bit late now, but at least in the ~16 floor dungeon version (the first one I've cleared) there's only a few transports in the lower floors. The orbs in the rooms where you meet the Wandering Maidens early in the tower have orbs floating high up that you can throw an item into, but those are very early floors. There's always an orb on the last floor of the 16 floor tower (the curiously empty floor), so you get at least one "guaranteed" item transfer if you can live that long. In general, if it's larger than an item, orb-shaped and glows, throw something at it. If you see an "Item was transferred" message, you did it.

shoplifter

Mejilan said:
Hitting + resets the camera, for what it's worth. At least on the CC. I'm not brave enough to play it with Remote/Nunchuk.

I've been keeping a thumb on the + and finger on the B button below the wiimote. Seems to work pretty well so far. I was having a few camera issues before I started doing this, but since then, it's been pretty easy going.

supercake

LegatoB said:
Well, it's a bit late now, but at least in the ~16 floor dungeon version (the first one I've cleared) there's only a few transports in the lower floors. The orbs in the rooms where you meet the Wandering Maidens early in the tower have orbs floating high up that you can throw an item into, but those are very early floors. There's always an orb on the last floor of the 16 floor tower (the curiously empty floor), so you get at least one "guaranteed" item transfer if you can live that long. In general, if it's larger than an item, orb-shaped and glows, throw something at it. If you see an "Item was transferred" message, you did it.

Wait, so there's a Transfer Orb on the CEILING?!

This game is going to frustrate me to no end, haha. I'm liking it still though.

supercake said:
Wait, so there's a Transfer Orb on the CEILING?!

This game is going to frustrate me to no end, haha. I'm liking it still though.

Any time you come across a large to medium size glowing/ metal orb it most likely can be used to transfer items. For example, that
giant spike ball the archangel is stuck to
can be used to transfer items.

After you open up the dungeon a little you should be able to find at least six fairly easily.

JadedOne

Okay, just got the game and played for about an hour. With all the negative reactions and very few positive ones, I lowered my expectations and thought the game would be blah. Turns out its not and I really really like it! Woo! The game kind of reminds me of a harder, more simple version of PSO for some weird reason. Looks like I'm joining the Baroque Defense Force!! :D

Oh, quick question. Since this is my first rogue-like game, I started on easy. What difficulty are you guys on?(especially those with this being their first rogue-like as well). I'm thinking of changing the difficulty to normal. Is that a good idea?

JadedOne said:
Oh, quick question. Since this is my first rogue-like game, I started on easy. What difficulty are you guys on?(especially those with this being their first rogue-like as well). I'm thinking of changing the difficulty to normal. Is that a good idea?

I started on hard and I haven't had to much trouble advancing through the the first few iterations of the dungeon. It can get kind of tough when enemies who block hallways start showing up, but by that point you should have a fairly decent weapon and tons of crap to throw.

I would definitely up the difficulty if I were you. It doesn't seem like it would be much fun on easy.

JadedOne

crowphoenix said:
Picked this game today. Ran through the dungeon a couple times. It's awesome.

I couldn't agree more. Its just pure fun.

And I changed up to normal difficulty which is sweet. Just the right amount of challenge.

LegatoB said:

Yeah I read a bit of a guide, and saw that 'two orbs in the maidens room' so I restart, and you have to move the FUCKING CAMERA UP to SEE THEM. Man, that's just fucking harsh. I ended up restarting, and now I'm off at a good clip. Bag size is 15 thanks to all the training dungeon stuff.

Proven

I finally got to play just now and let's just say I'm complete weaksauce towards games like this. Running around, dodging monsters, thinking up traps, dealing with ambushes, fighting off hordes. I think I did pretty darn well, but I ended up sustaining an elevated heart rate for over an hour. :lol At least I know I can perform under pressure.

I died twice before taking this break, first to unidentified explosive bones. The first set of bones I ever picked up did something good, or at least I thought it was good, so taking that combined with something else I read I figured that bones in general were good to eat. Then I went boom.

The second time was to a fire disk. It asked whether to place it Heads or Tails. I selected Heads and immediately pushed forward to step on it, and everything in the room died except for one enemy. I'm thinking he got to the disk first.

Edit: Despite wanting to know about the Heads or Tails option on the disk, I'm unsure if I should keep checking around here as I want to see how far I can go without any help. I rented from Gamefly so I don't even have a manual :lol

Edit2: Oh hey, I just realized that we don't have an actual official thread for this game. We just sorta hijacked this one...

JadedOne

Proven said:
Edit2: Oh hey, I just realized that we don't have an actual official thread for this game. We just sorta hijacked this one...

Yeah, this is pretty much the official thread now. I guess theres not enough interest in this game to make one. :\

ok i'm addicted now.

really appreciate how the variety of items leads to so many different gameplay opportunities

also i like the subtly intriguing storyline, and the way it doesn't shove it down your throat

I got down to floor -1600 today. Man, this game is really creepy. Got 3 of those memory orbs out. When I showed them to the Baroquemonger, who gave me a little smattering of information and left me confused.

JadedOne

crowphoenix said:
I got down to floor -1600 today. Man, this game is really creepy. Got 3 of those memory orbs out. When I showed them to the Baroquemonger, who gave me a little smattering of information and left me confused.

Keep giving the Baroquemonger the memory orbs you find of the same creatures because he'll have more things to say about them. Though...im pretty sure the information will leave you confused anyway. Still awesome and creepy though!

Delio

I'm seriously considering getting this when i have more money. From the impressions seems people really enjoy it so here's to more visits to this thread.

LordGek

JadedOne said:
Keep giving the Baroquemonger the memory orbs you find of the same creatures because he'll have more things to say about them. Though...im pretty sure the information will leave you confused anyway. Still awesome and creepy though!

Hmm, this has me confused. I see many of the monsters when looking through the character listings of the database have SEVERAL Baroquemonger quotes that can be associated with them but I thought when I go to the Baroquemonger with a Crystal he's already talked about he'll say he's already told me about that one...so what is the catch to get him to tell me something new about one of the beasties?

LordGek said:
Hmm, this has me confused. I see many of the monsters when looking through the character listings of the database have SEVERAL Baroquemonger quotes that can be associated with them but I thought when I go to the Baroquemonger with a Crystal he's already talked about he'll say he's already told me about that one...so what is the catch to get him to tell me something new about one of the beasties?

each enemy has several orbs you can collect all with the same name. For example with the Korians, there were 12. And if you saved all 12 orbs you would learn everything about the Korians. Each different orb gives you more detail about that creature or whatever. So when you're in the dungeoun and you pick up an orb that you've had before (same name), it's not actually the same orb. It's actually a new one and will reveal additional info about that creature if you give it to the Baroquemonger.

make sense?

tetrisgrammaton said:
how'd'ya what?

I got the collectors bag up to 15. Not amazing or anything, but I don't think there's even 15 orbs in the first dungeon, so it should be good for now.

If you were wondering how, well the collector's bag expands after bringing him a certain amount of new items. I think the first is 10 new items. The training dungeons are great for this, since you can bring all the items you get back out to the overworld and hand them directly to the collector. The last training dungeon has a shitload of different bones that you can hand over.

PedroLumpy said:
I got the collectors bag up to 15. Not amazing or anything, but I don't think there's even 15 orbs in the first dungeon, so it should be good for now.

If you were wondering how, well the collector's bag expands after bringing him a certain amount of new items. I think the first is 10 new items. The training dungeons are great for this, since you can bring all the items you get back out to the overworld and hand them directly to the collector. The last training dungeon has a shitload of different bones that you can hand over.

mm, a shame i played through them all already. i am curious about the rumored large dungeon the gravekeeper is building.

Foxix Von

Alright just started trying out this game. So far I like it, lovely there isn't much of a tutorial but it's pretty easy to get the hang of. The only thing I don't like is using the Wii controller for this.

How is it with the classic controller anyway?

Foxix said:
Alright just started trying out this game. So far I like it, lovely there isn't much of a tutorial but it's pretty easy to get the hang of. The only thing I don't like is using the Wii controller for this.

How is it with the classic controller anyway?

perfectly fine, button layout is very intuitive. there's three iterations of the tutorial, just try going back each time you come out of the dungeon. i'm not sure if ya have to clear it first or if merely death is sufficient.

LordGek

straydog1980 said:
each enemy has several orbs you can collect all with the same name. For example with the Korians, there were 12. And if you saved all 12 orbs you would learn everything about the Korians. Each different orb gives you more detail about that creature or whatever. So when you're in the dungeoun and you pick up an orb that you've had before (same name), it's not actually the same orb. It's actually a new one and will reveal additional info about that creature if you give it to the Baroquemonger.

make sense?

So I can never bring the SAME "World Crystal", say, to him but if I ever find a new one he'll tell me something different?

So besides being cute and collectible do his mutterings ever mention interesting things like vulnerabilities or useful tips in dealing with the specific baddies?

Top Bottom