• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus Teases Catherine Follow-Up [Rumor] (Persona Central)

Jotakori

Omg yaaass pls!!
I loved Catherine and would absolutely enjoy another game in the series. Although I do think I'd prefer a different story/set of characters if they did -- like others have suggested, making a series out of the Golden Playhouse could be really cool.

But damn, now I'm all hyped and want to play the first one again.

vato_loco

I would be absolutely down for a Catherine sequel... as long as it makes sense, story-wise. Catherine was pretty well wrapped up in itself.

Zukkoyaki

Adored Catherine and would play the hell out of a sequel but part of me just kind of wants it left alone. Not everything needs a sequel.

Sevyne

Kind of dont want a direct sequel to Catherine even though I love it. I'd would like Golden Playhouse to be a series of more experimental games that are all very different from each other and Catherine just being the first of them.

Kazuhira

Oooh that would be awesome! the thought of a sequel never crossed my mind because i always consider it as a stand-alone game with a story that concluded pretty nicely.
It would be odd call it Catherine again if she is not coming back right? haha
Anyway,i would be all over it..the game was so much fun in a lot aspects but i hope there's more variety in the dungeons this time,not just climbing.

I agree and even made thread about it recently.
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1424286

Missed that thread but completely agree. A Catherine 2 is a fantastic idea in that the first game is stellar, arguably my favourite game from 2012, but the name and story don't really scream 'sequel'.

The gameplay, art style and overall mood are aching to get a second outing. Don't call it Golden Playhouse if you don't need to, but this would only work if it is a new story with new characters being viewed from the Golden Playhouse.

Give me that and I'm there, day one.

silva1991

don't you freakin jinx it

Catherine is BC and usually on sale. they at least remember the game is on xbox too unlike Nier. i'm going to murder john atlus if Catherine2 doesn't get a xbox version too

I could be wrong, but I think It's Xbox team that decides what games they will make BC. I don't think it's on Atlus.

Also John isn't with Atlus anymore.

Keinning

I could be wrong, but I think It's Xbox team that decides what games they will make BC.

If only it was that easy
obviously the xbox team handles the BC process but they still need to talk with devs/publishers to obtain rights for BC.

also forgot there was a dude named john who worked for atlus and posted here. sorry it's not you who i am going to murder!

cj_iwakura

I feel like watching all the cutscenes was enough for me.

Go watch some competitive action and rethink that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCUT7Jrr6dE

We're keeping the game alive nearly a decade later.

AND it's a main event at CEOTaku this month.

CEOtaku-Experience-boxes-artists.png

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I know a lot of people just want another Golden Playhouse themed game and are fine with a completely different genre, but not me. I want more of that Catherine gameplay so bad. That core gameplay was sooooo good.

cj_iwakura

Not to be a buzzkill, but that literally looks like they just dubbed over the existing scene of her introducing the Babel mode. Still cause for hope, but they didn't put in much effort.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I know a lot of people just want another Golden Playhouse themed game and are fine with a completely different genre, but not me. I want more of that Catherine gameplay so bad. That core gameplay was sooooo good.

Thats were the PS4 version of original Catherine comes in.

I'd be down for another game using the Golden Playhouse framework. I definitely don't want a sequel to Catherine though, that story is done.

Kind of dont want a direct sequel to Catherine even though I love it. I'd would like Golden Playhouse to be a series of more experimental games that are all very different from each other and Catherine just being the first of them.

Agreed, it's a strange thing to say I don't feel that the puzzle gameplay really defines Catherine as an IP to me, it's the tone. I'm all for a sequel, but I hope it's as experimental as the original was.

cj_iwakura

Agreed, it's a strange thing to say I don't feel that the puzzle gameplay really defines Catherine as an IP to me, it's the tone. I'm all for a sequel, but I hope it's as experimental as the original was.

We're still finding mysteries and exploits within the versus mode to this day.

Murugo

There's no denying it. That's the theme to Catherine they played at the end of the video.

I would absolutely not mind if they brought the block puzzles back. Happens to be my favorite part of the game combined with its macabre tone.

I would love that. Catherine was my favorite title on the PS3. Golden Playhouse is the perfect outlet for Atlus to experiment with new game ideas. As others have said, I don't want a Catherine 2 because that story is complete, but I would be down for something in the same universe. Definitely something with adult characters, not teenagers.

cj_iwakura

I didn't like Catherine but I wouldn't mind a sequel if it had completely different gameplay.

The gameplay was the best thing about it though.

But to be fair, I remember people being pissed when it was revealed to be a puzzle climber. Me, I never slapped down money on an import faster.

I beat the game while barely understanding it and loved every second. Imagine my joy when it picked up a competitive scene.

Catherine is the only game I consider myself a contender at. I comfortably make ~top 8 at every tournament I've been to. (Though boy is the competition fierce now.)

big fake

I personally think Catherine is Atlas' best work and is one of my top 5 games of all time. I WOULD FUCKING DIE for sequel!!!

OMG YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

One with a female protagonist would be amazing.
This would be great, but some concerns immediately jump to mind:

- The target audience probably couldn't handle a female version of Vincent since "ew, dudes," or, "I can't relate." (lol).

- A female lead of this nature handled by Atlus. I expect a lot of missteps. But who knows.

Top Bottom