• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus we need to talk about the Persona 5 localization...

Status
Not open for further replies.

artsi

I finally got my localized version and oh boy, this game is full of these fansub level translations.

At least they tried.

PsionBolt

C8jkMx_V0AE8_-p.jpg

C8jk6nGUAAAcEcF.jpg

C8jbjdHXYAAN3yv.jpg

C8jbkKzXYAAqCPp.jpg
  • Whether or not the ruin will befall us depends on your rehabilitation. Others will also have parts to play, however.
  • And yet, have you not just met another who wields the same power?
  • What a guy... Not just anyone would help a punk like him.
  • Got it. I won't let you down.
  • It's not often I see you with friends.
  • What've you been you up to so late?
  • Let me live with you.
  • Is there a "Mr. Sakura" here?
Obviously, all of these need context to be certain of (should "friends" be plural? Will ruin befall "us", or just "you"? and so on), but the point I'm trying to get at is that there's nothing arcane or overly cultural here. The game's script just wasn't treated well, plain and simple.

You keep citing "definition 20" on an unofficial dictionary website. That's not doing you any favours.

The dictionary doesn't have any sources or citations for that definition. It's highly likely this formation was used over 100 years ago, in which case it is completely irrelevant to a piece of English written in 2017. Indeed, someone on the last page asserted we should hard Google search for "answer your expectations" and - lo and behold - we could only find sources from non-native English websites (mainly French and other non-English European sites) or historical examples. It's an archaic form.
"only find sources from non-native English websites"
http://www.interwestmoving.com/corporate-relocation-domestic/
http://www.jfrederickandsons.com/bathroom-remodeling/
http://www.jwcole.com/warehousing-distribution/
http://www.dysturb.com/education/#intro
https://www.humbletill.com/store-types/home-lifestyle-2/
http://www.goldenvanlines.com/storage-warehouse/
etc etc (as much as 'native speaker' can be guessed at from a website)

It's not a question of whether it makes sense or is "definitively" right. What matters is how human beings speak and what this game's dialogue is trying to capture (teenagers in conversation, typically).
This was (not much of a spoiler at all, being overly cautious)
a (sports/PE) teacher speaking to the principal, if I remember correctly
. It is a bit unusual but that wasn't under contention.

MTC100

Banned
Perhaps it's because I am not English native but... I don't see any problem with the examples shown in the OP?

Like, what would you replace your examples in the OP with? Can you give an example?

We're in the same boat here I guess, as I haven't found much to criticise in my first 5 hours with the game. The only thing that felt odd so far was reading the dialogue option "take care of me" right at the beginning, this felt somewhat out of place, is the MC some kind of pet or baby that needs to be taken care of badly?

English is my first language, and I had no idea that these screenshots had anything wrong with them. I stared at them for quite some time. For the most part, they don't look anymore awkward than the idea they're trying to portray.

Have you never talked to another person in real life before?

Nobody talks like that.

Which is weird for such a passionate language.

Nothing new imo , on that front . I avoid playing anything in French , even games like AC Unity , or the First Broken Sword , set in French locales . Beyond what i dislike in their translation process , it's the epitomy of blandness , be it within the texts or voice overs . They have usually worse budgets , pool of actors and writing teams to do the job anyway .

Rozart

This thread. So much hyperbole! I think I'm cool on GAF for a while lol. Y'all be good.

Right?

Maybe I'm just immune to it all 'cause I've played my fair share of awkwardly localised JRPGS. :p And honestly though, let's not act like the previous Persona games were the bastions of great localisation either.

Nobody is saying it's a disaster or anything. Why do people keep saying stuff as if we're being hyperbolic?

People can be critical of a thing without being outraged.

Just on that last page, you have someone calling the game garbage.

Korigama

This doesn't actually answer the question of why they chose to have the VAs pronounce it that way. It's a bizarre choice and points to a confused and clumsy localization.
That it doesn't. It accounts for whose idea it was, but it's no clearer as to why. Considering how long it took to release this game, along with the multiple delays, it makes even less sense.

TheFatMan

I feel like people are getting worked up over some relatively poorly done translation in a game that is over 100 hours long.

God only knows how much dialogue is in this game. Is this really a huge deal? haha

Man GAF, we gotta stop getting so worked up over shit like this. We turning into game snobs.

Soriku

I am not a native speaker so feel free to disregard my opinion, but these sentences all sound weird to me.

No one IRL says "answer your expectations" right?
No one IRL says "if ruin can be stopped" right?
Other two sentences are grammatically OK, but they sound unnatural. Not really like everyday speech said by native speakers.

OMG I would love to play that!

Answer your expectations is straight up Japanese style writing.

The ruin part is spoken by Igor so it's fine.

The translation is on the nose but doesn't seem bad.

Slayven

I feel like people are getting worked up over some relatively poorly done translation in a game that is over 100 hours long.

God only knows how much dialogue is in this game. Is this really a huge deal? haha

Man GAF, we gotta stop getting so worked up over shit like this. We turning into game snobs.

Who is GAF?

And why do a lot of threads where people are calmly talking and joking about something attract so many people that shout "stop freaking out!!!!"?

Again depends on context, was it 'hijacked and forced the wrong way down a one-way street, with passengers still on board?' Or just a bus driver making a wrong turn
with customers still in it
?

Rozart

Is this a disaster or totally fine? We're on the internet so it has to be one of the two, but I can't tell which.

Ever played a JRPG before? It's fine.

And like others have said, P5 is game that can span over 80-100 hours long. Chances are you'll just blink through some of these awkwardly, stilted dialogue.

Too late.

Way too late, actually.

squall23

Let me flip that around then. Why can't the translation be perfect? Or even at least above average? Why does a super long game get a pass for a relatively poorly done translation?

RDreamer

Yeah, there's some real clunkers in there. Had quite a few times where me and my fiancé who was sitting next to me playing Zelda just looked at each other and laughed. There was a big non sequitor from Sakura that got us giggling.

Overall in like three and a half hours of Persona 5 I've side-eyed more dialogue than in 60 hours of Mass Effect Andromeda.

LowParry

It's more of people becoming more critical of a game they are playing. It's fair complaints. Guess it's just something we grow into as we get older in the gaming industry. I still plan on playing the game but it is a little off putting. Guess we just deal with it, right?

Is this a disaster or totally fine? We're on the internet so it has to be one of the two, but I can't tell which.

It is not for me, for sure. After watching so much fan-subbed anime online I am used to worse...much worse.

It is still a shame, because the characters personalities get a bit lost (or feel somewhat random) on poor localization works like this, but not a deal breaker for me... (also English is not my first language, so I am more tolerant for unnatural language constructs than a native)

TheFatMan

Let me flip that around then. Why can't the translation be perfect? Or even at least above average? Why does a super long game get a pass for a relatively poorly done translation?

Because of budgets and time restraints? Look how long Trails of Cold Steel 2 took to release. Sure the translation is fantastic, but the game took like 4 years JUST to translate, not including development time.

I guess for me it's a matter of realistic expectations. If a game has 2 million lines of dialogue I give it a pass for having some translation problems. Mostly because I'd like to play said game before the ice age begins again.

ZangBa

This feels like hyperbole to me. I've only played for 5 hours so far, but I haven't noticed anything weird. A lot of people talk weird in real life anyway.

Curufinwe

The mispronunciations are the bigger concern for me.

If Atlus don't have the personnel to do a good localization any more, they should hire 8-4 to do it for them.

Enough with the blinders

The criticisms are valid and I would like localizers to recapture the art of translating effectively and efficiently

mindsale

That would be awesome.

Laugh at questionable localization and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.

I know I am no better than a beast of the field, but can't even I expect an intelligible localization?

(Takes a hammer through a hallway of localization staffers).

Because of budgets and time restraints? Look how long Trails of Cold Steel 2 took to release. Sure the translation is fantastic, but the game took like 4 years JUST to translate, not including development time.

I guess for me it's a matter of realistic expectations. If a game has 2 million lines of dialogue I give it a pass for having some translation problems. Mostly because I'd like to play said game before the ice age begins again.

A kiseki game is far from a good example because even by JRPG standards their scripts are enormous.

Dabi

Was looking forward to playing this with Japanese VA but the missing subtitles will drive me crazy 😅

rucury

Banned
Enough with the blinders

The criticisms are valid and I would like localizers to recapture the art of translating effectively and efficiently

Hear, hear. So many people saying they don't see anything wrong with it. So? As you can see, many of us are noticing the awkward sentence structures and stuff like that. It's a valid criticism, especially since the game was supposedly pushed back in order to fix some localization issues.

A great localization goes a loooooong way and can work to retain the quirks or nuances of the original language, just look at Yakuza 0.

The examples people have posted here of text in P5 are bad localizations of Japanese sentences, period.

Or should I say: There have been some submissions in this thread which demonstrate how not good enough the conversion from Japanese as an effort was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom