• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attention CASTLEVANIA fans: The Lecarde Chronicles 2 released!

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
You're confusing games, the game you're thinking of is Castelvania: Bloodlines which featured a Lecarde playable character.

The Lecarde Chronicles is also a a fan made game developed by MIG.
Oh.

Yeah, I didn't even know that existed. Point proven I guess

Just watched the trailer, downloading as we speak, this looks really great for a fan made game. Great bonus Belgrade is voicing Alucard again.

VandalD

I wouldn't say this is up there in fangame quality with the likes of Streets of Rage Remake or AM2R, but it's a decent game.

The controls are a bit stiff and took getting used to. Stairs and ramps are handled like the old games, where you have to hold up to land on them, but it just feels awkward passing through what usually looks like solid ground. The better way to handle this would be to hold down to pass through, or always land on them then use down and jump to pass through. Since you have to hold up to throw your subweapon or change your change your magic.. polarity.. thing.. those can interfere with each other if fighting on or near stairs. More usable buttons would've been nice too. There's not much reason for having the up + button combos, aside from that's how it was in the old days. We've got enough buttons now to not have to toggle magics, and also throw a subweapon with one press.

There's a lot of backtracking in this game. Progression so far feels more tied to obtaining key items more than unlocking new abilities. Can't go to the poison place without the poison protection. Can't go to the cold place without cold protection. Getting what amounts to keys is less interesting than when you unlock sliding or double jumping because it means you can go back to older areas that weren't blatantly keyed off and potentially find new stuff. Twice I've been put in unwinnable situations. One of those times was right by a save point, so it was no big deal. The other time
was because I didn't buy a weapon upgrade before an armor upgrade and so couldn't kill a boss.

All that said, I ended up playing it for a few hours straight. It's worth giving a shot.

Ganondorfo

If this was an exclusive official Konami game for the Switch, people would love Konami again and that hateful Konami meme would dissapear after a while.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Okay, I played through the intro and this is really fun, videos of it don't do it justice. Controls are tight, music is great and the voice acting is surprisingly decent. It's pretty much a way better playing Castlevania 2 with a map layout like the later games in the series.

I assume that's Belgrade narrating the intros?

poodaddy

Something janky about the animation to me for some reason. Can't place it but I just don't like the aesthetics at all.

13ruce

Banned
Welp time to play some new fan made Castlevania soon.
Looks amazing in motion the screenshots don't do it justice imo.

RedSwirl

Looks very '90s PC game' instead of like any Castlevania. Perhaps a bit like AD X68K I guess.

Might take a look.

I had the same thought. The sprite detail looks slightly above what was actually in ROB or SON, as if someone made a Castlevania for a 90's Japanese home PC back then.

I'll probably just snag this before it disappears, but I have no idea when I'll play it.

Amani

Wow, I'm surprised I've never heard of the first game, let alone this one. Amazing that Konami actually was cool with it (assuming that's true).

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Okay, I played through the intro and this is really fun, videos of it don't do it justice. Controls are tight, music is great and the voice acting is surprisingly decent. It's pretty much a way better playing Castlevania 2 with a map layout like the later games in the series.

I assume that's Belgrade narrating the intros?

Yes it is Belgrade.

Ahasverus

Something janky about the animation to me for some reason. Can't place it but I just don't like the aesthetics at all.
The art quality is really uneven. It's like some things are NEs quality, some are X6000 quality, some are SNES quality and so on. Can't knock it since it's a fan game so whatever,

Foffy

Banned
The art quality is really uneven. It's like some things are NEs quality, some are X6000 quality, some are SNES quality and so on. Can't knock it since it's a fan game so whatever,

I believe all of the assets were made by one person.

The same person who coded the game, IIRC.

Gave this a try and maybe its just my pc (trying it on my laptop) but the controls seems terrible. Kinda laggy input and I had to use joy2key since it wouldn't work with my controller.
Movement is painfully slow too. I guess it's supposed to be similar to the slowness of classicvanias but I'm just too used to SoTN and those after it.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Gave this a try and maybe its just my pc (trying it on my laptop) but the controls seems terrible. Kinda laggy input and I had to use joy2key since it wouldn't work with my controller.
Movement is painfully slow too. I guess it's supposed to be similar to the slowness of classicvanias but I'm just too used to SoTN and those after it.

You get upgrades that allow you to move faster (slide, air dash).

decisions

Downloaded the game it looks amazing in motion, really can't believe I basically got a free Castlevania.

However I'm trying to use a DS4 with DS4Windows, and the game can only recognize the D-pad for some reason. Anyone else have this issue?

Ilvocare

my DS3 works with the drivers I set up, thank god

but uh

how can I play this in windowed mode

I thought the answer was Alt+Enter but that literally just takes away 3/4s of the screen

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Would be nice if Konami published this and cleaned it up some so we can get a downloadable console release. They really should look towards what Sega did with Sonic Mania

Lanrutcon

How large is it compared to the DS games per say?

Same size. Been watching a Let's Play of this, and even with the trial and error bits edited out the dude is covering a lot of ground. There's also a fair amount of backtracking when you get new abilities to get to secrets and whatnot. The level design is impressive, because everything kind of flows together the moment you have the full range of movement abilities.

Jimrpg

This looks rad, will check it out when I have time.

Thanks OP.

But the creator should just rename it something else and sell it on Steam.

Link_enfant

Is there any tweak to enable the D-Pad on Dual Shock 4 V2?
The controller's natively compatible once plugged in but only the left stick is detected, which isn't really comfortable for this kind of game.

Galdelico

It looks very impressive!
Artstyle and graphics won't appeal everyone - I like them alot, even though the whole presentation could use some refinement, especially in typeface/illustrations' regard - but the amount of work and attention to detail are commendable.
I agree with whoever said it has a certain '90s PC game' flair... It also reminded me of stuff like a more modern Rusty, at a first glance.

Haven't played this yet, but the folks saying that the game looks better in video than stills are totally 100% right. Stills look garbo but in motion the game looks pretty great.

Also, dat remixed version of GB Castlevania Stage 1. Hnnngh.

So I ended up getting really sucked in last night and played for about 3 hours. This game is really atmospheric and beautifully done so far as far as I'm concerned and especially so for a fan game. If this had been released commercially, I would've been in the preorder line.

I think it looks great in motion and I have a real soft spot for the 'adventure' feel of it all, the traveling through forests to different locations like in Castlevania 2, the town, I love that kind of stuff. The music and sound effects are great and very atmospheric, a crucial part to any Vania title for me, and areas have been quite creative and well-realized with cool little gimmicks like climbable wells and switches etc. strewn around.

I've downed about 4 or 5 bosses so far and they were very well done, quite tough but fair with clear-cut, recognizable patterns.

Bottom line is I think this game rules and I'm hooked. I would've easily dropped $20 on this if it had been retail and I think every Castlevania fan burnt by Konami's bullshit treatment of the franchise owes it to themselves to check this out. It's a great game based on my time with it and definitely doesn't need a 'for a fan game' disclaimer.

Some of the areas in this game is giving me Cadash flashbacks for some odd reason:

1181242065203.png

cadash-a.png

Poop green as the main color for the primary character? why...

That aside is there any synopsis of what this game is based on? Who is this guy, what's the timeline, why does he get to meet Alucard and such.

Some of the areas in this game is giving me Cadash flashbacks for some odd reason:

1181242065203.png

cadash-a.png

Yeah, the color pallet was reminding me of Haunted Castle, similar era and aesthetic.

hcastle.png
HC5.png

Main character design, weighting and agility moves, enemy detail and overall sharp look was reminding me of Rondo:

stage1-3.gif
1-1.gif

...and others brought up the Sharp X68000 Castlevania which I forgot about... definitely fits:

extra2.png
EC4CD8DAC993948AE2CF36688757B6A4.gif

Especially the style of parallax.

This game basically is like amalgamating all my memories of browsing the Castlevania Dungeon website on 56K and seeing all these obscure Castlevania games I never knew about or could never get.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
So I ended up getting really sucked in last night and played for about 3 hours. This game is really atmospheric and beautifully done so far as far as I'm concerned and especially so for a fan game. If this had been released commercially, I would've been in the preorder line.

I think it looks great in motion and I have a real soft spot for the 'adventure' feel of it all, the traveling through forests to different locations like in Castlevania 2, the town, I love that kind of stuff. The music and sound effects are great and very atmospheric, a crucial part to any Vania title for me, and areas have been quite creative and well-realized with cool little gimmicks like climbable wells and switches etc. strewn around.

I've downed about 4 or 5 bosses so far and they were very well done, quite tough but fair with clear-cut, recognizable patterns.

Bottom line is I think this game rules and I'm hooked. I would've easily dropped $20 on this if it had been retail and I think every Castlevania fan burnt by Konami's bullshit treatment of the franchise owes it to themselves to check this out. It's a great game based on my time with it and definitely doesn't need a 'for a fan game' disclaimer.

I'm almost close to the end now, about 90% done, and the game honestly gets better and better the more you progress. The game has 3 endings by the way. Feels like a retail game, I'd easily pay 30-40 for it.

I'm almost close to the end now, about 90% done, and the game honestly gets better and better the more you progress. The game has 3 endings by the way. Feels like a retail game, I'd easily pay 30-40 for it.

That's pretty wild, can't wait to get there myself. I've been thinking about playing it quite a bit today, I'm hooked.

By the way, the Save Area theme is fantastic and I love that they incorporated some areas with pure echo'd ambient background sound instead of actual OST tracks. It gave me a bit of a Demon's Souls vibe for a minute atmospherically running through the
mine area
near the beginning.

decisions

Holy shit guys, um...I just played SOTN last year and this game really isn't that far off in terms of how much fun I'm having. This needs more publicity! Am I crazy or is it totally ridiculous to say that this game seems to blow Bloodstained out of the water? The gameplay is crisp and responsive, the music and art is really pretty great! And Robert Belgrade is actually in it! Where did this come from?

Also for some reason my previous DS4 issue totally rectified itself. Simply rebooted the game and all my buttons worked, including the D-pad and analog stick. No third party program (DS4Windows, etc).

Maxey

I played it for a little bit and it seemed pretty good but man, I get it that they wanted to go for the true old school experience with this, but why should I have to suffer with outdated interface standards? Let me skip the intro and autosave at the damn start, god damnit.

Why should I have to restart the game from the main menu if I die before I hit a save point?

Top Bottom