• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attention CASTLEVANIA fans: The Lecarde Chronicles 2 released!

decisions

I prefer the art, music, environments, and overall aesthetic over Bloodstained. Games seems a bit quicker than demos we've seen of Bloodstained as well. IMO the graphical style (a commendable attempt at recreating 16-bit graphics, with no budget of course) is about a million times better than the 2.5D seen in Bloodstained. I mean I'll play that game too and am excited for it but I don't expect it to wow me like this one, of course maybe some of my hype for this game stems from the fact that I feel like I got an official Castlevania that I didn't pay a dime for.

Ahasverus

Am I crazy or is it totally ridiculous to say that this game seems to blow Bloodstained out of the water?
Well it has some variety, an interesting setup and not embarrassing art. Of course it does. Then again, it's made by someone who understands Castlevania is more than erotic violence, anime tropes and aping SOTN.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
I prefer the art, music, environments, and overall aesthetic over Bloodstained. Games seems a bit quicker than demos we've seen of Bloodstained as well. IMO the graphical style (a commendable attempt at recreating 16-bit graphics, with no budget of course) is about a million times better than the 2.5D seen in Bloodstained. I mean I'll play that game too and am excited for it but I don't expect it to wow me like this one, of course maybe some of my hype for this game stems from the fact that I feel like I got an official Castlevania that I didn't pay a dime for.

I totally agree with you. Very glad that some gaffers are enjoying this. I'm 15 hours into the game and about to finish it. It really brought me back to the first time I played SOTN and how wonderful of an experience it was.

Ilvocare

my DS3 works with the drivers I set up, thank god

but uh

how can I play this in windowed mode

I thought the answer was Alt+Enter but that literally just takes away 3/4s of the screen

reposting on the next page because I got zero response to this problem and it still persists

it'd be nice to be able to stream this but fullscreen makes that impossible on my comp

I played it for a little bit and it seemed pretty good but man, I get it that they wanted to go for the true old school experience with this, but why should I have to suffer with outdated interface standards? Let me skip the intro and autosave at the damn start, god damnit.

Why should I have to restart the game from the main menu if I die before I hit a save point?

"have to", "have to suffer"...how much did you pay again? Right, nothing.

Davey Cakes

I only just got to the Servigny Earldom but the game certainly evokes "Classicvania" in a way that I haven't experienced in a while. I'm glad I checked out this thread.

Ilvocare

decided to play through the game on my own, got a ways in

asking for some help on shit, keeping it in spoilers

The combination lock in the Servigny mansion... I don't fucking understand how to "key in" the values. Like it's asking for the death of the count and the building of the bridge. The latter is soundly written as 1713, but the latter is weird, because he's kind of the boss you defeat? I think the intro said something like 1781 as the year the game takes place, but his "written" deathdate on the tombstone in the Dark Forest says 1899...
so which is the correct value? Furthermore, there's only four spaces to place values in and 8 different numbers to use... like do I have to put in both dates one right after the other?
I wish there was some feedback about whether the first date was right, like a click for this fucking combination lock...

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment

The combination lock in the Servigny mansion... I don't fucking understand how to "key in" the values. Like it's asking for the death of the count and the building of the bridge. The latter is soundly written as 1713, but the latter is weird, because he's kind of the boss you defeat? I think the intro said something like 1781 as the year the game takes place, but his "written" deathdate on the tombstone in the Dark Forest says 1899...
so which is the correct value? Furthermore, there's only four spaces to place values in and 8 different numbers to use... like do I have to put in both dates one right after the other?
I wish there was some feedback about whether the first date was right, like a click for this fucking combination lock...

This was a tough puzzle, here is a hint:
The bridge year and the death of the count, that's the key. Death and rebirth, try doing some math with these two years.

I got so pissed at it yesterday, aka it made me feel really stupid, that I just left the area and went on my merry way...until I brutally had my ass handed to me in the next area.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Yeah I looked up a playthrough on Youtube for that combination :lol.
Was The Lecarde Chronicles 1 ever released then?, also how come Konami hasn't come knocking yet??

Others in the thread have said it's released under Konami's permission

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
I'm not sure it's a bug or what, but on my map I seem to have a room under count sevrigny's room which is inaccessible, yet it's shown as explored. Does everyone else have this as well?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I'm not sure it's a bug or what, but on my map I seem to have a room under count sevrigny's room which is inaccessible, yet it's shown as explored. Does everyone else have this as well?

Is there a green arrow pointing up nearby? If so there should be a green arrow pointing down near an entrance to that area of the map, the old inn is similar and confused me too, since the inn segment of the map is removed from the rest of the map

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
I feel like such an idiot, I still don't get it but yet don't want to be told either haha

More tips, they will get more obvious the further down you go.

the year of bridge is obvious, the death of the count is when he expected to die,
not knowing you were going to end his undead life early

1713 and 1899

the combination has to do with both,
try some math

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Is there a green arrow pointing up nearby? If so there should be a green arrow pointing down near an entrance to that area of the map, the old inn is similar and confused me too, since the inn segment of the map is removed from the rest of the map

No no, it's a small square room. Immediately below the right side of the big room where you battle the count.

More tips, they will get more obvious the further down you go.

the year of bridge is obvious, the death of the count is when he expected to die,
not knowing you were going to end his undead life early

1713 and 1899

the combination has to do with both,
try some math

Oh jesus christ...

Don't click if you don't want the (possible) answer.

I knew both values obviously but the easiest answer didn't dawn on me:
add the shit to get 3612. Can't try it out right now but that must be it.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Oh jesus christ...

Don't click if you don't want the (possible) answer.

I knew both values obviously but the easiest answer didn't dawn on me:
add the shit to get 3612. Can't try it out right now but that must be it.

haha you got it
This is definitely the most difficult puzzle in the game.

Ilvocare

This was a tough puzzle, here is a hint:
The bridge year and the death of the count, that's the key. Death and rebirth, try doing some math with these two years.

You don't need to input more than one 4 digit number.

yeah this made it click

granted I feel like the only clue that you have to
add the numbers
in game is
the use of the phrase "and". That's it.

just a mite obscure

the reward is kinda eh too, so whatever, it's gotten now

time to go through Isvigny or whatever the hell it's spelled as

Ilvocare

forgive the double post, I'm quite a ways in now

I have fucking problems with the boss design in this game

not like in terms of "I can't do it", because I did it, but more along the lines of how you can be quickly pushed into unwinnable situations because lol xd

two examples

-The wife fight that triggers by looking at a plaque with no warning, where you just die from collision damage as she slowly drifts towards you. Why is this in the game?
It's mitigated by having a save point beforehand, but... I'm just not a fan of "gotcha"
deaths!

-The Death Wall. So what happens when you arrive at the village at nighttime, assume the place was deserted a while back, and then you dive into the cave right after saving and slog through the whole area using the mace only to find out that you got punked you fucking nerd

he's literally impossible to kill on time without the hatchet sold from the shop,
because the mace does 1-2 points of damage per hit to his 1500 health, and here is where I get salty at the night/day cycle in the game

in other news there's another boss I just don't find was done very well

-The Efrain fake. You know how most Igavanias have one-on-one duels in reasonably sizable two-tile rooms with characters NOT having collision hurtboxes?
Yeah let's throw all that out the window by making a character that walks at the player's exact same speed, in a space consisting of a cramped single screen room, where the sprites are WAY larger than is normal for an Igavania, and add positively random movement and collision damage on top of all that. Then let's make it worse by making half his attacks have no telegraphing at all, and crippling status ailments on top of sizable damage. When your brutal one-on-one fight is best solved by playing keepaway with Sacred Fire and only approaching during his charge-up animation, I feel like something went wrong here...

Voliko

I have been playing the first one the past few days on hard and I am impressed. Aside from some stiff text and grammar issues it is great. Worthy enough for the Castlevania name and a breath of fresh air after playing so many of the NES hacks. Some genuinely great level design in there.

The game's structure reminds me of something like Demon's Crest. There is a central hub town and you choose which stage to go to on the map screen. There are upgrades and new abilities scattered throughout the levels so you can get an upgrade in one level, get a game-over, keep the upgrade and try a different level. No loot/items aside from sub weapons so it is pretty much like classic Castlevania with a twist.

Is it a straight platformer like older Castlevanias? Or more the Metroidvania route?

It's basically a Simon's Quest layout mixed with SotN/Metroidvania style. You start with a hub town and have several branches to explore with paths unlocking with power-ups such as double jumps and so on. It basically controls and overall feels a lot like Rondo of Blood in my opinion.

There's also a day/night and weather (well, rain to be specific) cycle.

VandalD

forgive the double post, I'm quite a ways in now

I have fucking problems with the boss design in this game
Those were the same problems I had. Two gotcha encounters, one of which that can waste a lot more of your time.

Looks like the best free game ever.
Definitely not. But it's decent. Nothing has topped Streets of Rage Remake for me as far as fan projects. This game doesn't get up to AM2R's level.

AM2R followed by this is like a one-two punch and I had never once played a fan game prior to these two. I'm insanely impressed. You could've sold both of these to me for retail price no problem.

Definitely not. But it's decent. Nothing has topped Streets of Rage Remake for me as far as fan projects. This game doesn't get up to AM2R's level.
Thanks for reminding me about AM2R. Still haven't downloaded that.

Is Streets of Rage Remake really better than Beats of Rage or OpenBOR?

Santar

Seeing all the praise this has gotten I was a bit disappointed, the main character and menus just scream amateur/fan game to me. Why is his feet so huge compared to the rest of his body?
I'm sorry if this sounds harsh but I guess I just don't have a very high tolerance for this kind of stuff.

Davey Cakes

Seeing all the praise this has gotten I was a bit disappointed, the main character and menus just scream amateur/fan game to me. Why is his feet so huge compared to the rest of his body?
I'm sorry if this sounds harsh but I guess I just don't have a very high tolerance for this kind of stuff.
The thing is, I get EXACTLY what you're saying. The same thoughts entered my mind. I'm not really big into fan games in general so this type of thing is a hard sell.

It's the way the game feels and plays that makes it work for me, however. I'll let certain things slide if there are enough of the right elements elsewhere. The game pays a lot of respect to "Classicvania" so I find it alluring.

VandalD

Thanks for reminding me about AM2R. Still haven't downloaded that.

Is Streets of Rage Remake really better than Beats of Rage or OpenBOR?
SoRR is a highly polished game with a lot of options and variety. It combines the best parts of every SoR game (and lets you toggle them) and adds its own things that still feel like they fit in the series. Except for the guns. But you can turn those off too. If you like beat-em-ups and you haven't played SoRR, you should really track down a copy.
It plays better than it looks. It's understandable if you can't get past the visuals, but maybe you'd be able to overlook that if you gave it a try.

Pejo

Not sure how I missed this earlier, gotta check it out when I get home, looks great for a fan made game.

SoRR is a highly polished game with a lot of options and variety. It combines the best parts of every SoR game (and lets you toggle them) and adds its own things that still feel like they fit in the series. Except for the guns. But you can turn those off too. If you like beat-em-ups and you haven't played SoRR, you should really track down a copy.
Okay, after this Castlevania and the Metroid 2-remake I'll give it a try.

Ilvocare

finally made it past the three "main" bosses of the districts

Can someone tell me where the solution for the
crosses puzzle in the convent
was? I honestly just brute forced that shit, and felt kinda silly for managing to get it right. It'd be nice to know there WAS a solution mentioned beforehand, but... I can't fucking find it.

also the
castle
opens up the game a metric fuckload, which is good

however the game still has this immense problem of having the lamest fucking bosses and original enemy designs in the fucking series

if it's not a faceroll or a weapon check it's a "destroy this health bar before time runs out" nonsense. The first time was fine but I feel like I've gone through this dance like three times now and each time it's both boring AND cheap.

also fucking lol at the
horror gallery. This is narm at its highest, man.
Fucking ULTIMATE BIOWEAPON that consists of a spinning leg and a finglonger.

Ilvocare

No no, it's a small square room. Immediately below the right side of the big room where you battle the count.

My apologies for the necrobump, but I just realized the answer to this problem. Spoiling for obvious reasons.

That's the room where you fight the skeleton of the count's wife, it's where reading the plaque takes you. You only go there once, after all. It's dimmed and shown in the map before you fight her, and brightens up afterwards.

Also, if there's anyone else still here, can I get a 100% map picture of the Albaret earldom? I've discovered all I can and hit 99%, and that last little smidgen is super annoying me... I don't wanna run through the countryside, the convent, and the university all over again just to find one room...

EDIT: NEVER MIND I FOUND THE LAST ROOM I WAS MISSING THANKS MASK OF THE MOON

GOD DAMMIT IT WAS ALSO WHERE THAT SOLUTION I NEVER FOUND WAS HIDING

AGHHGAHNBHHBAH

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
My apologies for the necrobump, but I just realized the answer to this problem. Spoiling for obvious reasons.

That's the room where you fight the skeleton of the count's wife, it's where reading the plaque takes you. You only go there once, after all. It's dimmed and shown in the map before you fight her, and brightens up afterwards.

Ahhhhhhh man that was bothering me so much thanks for explaining it.

Top Bottom