• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attorney General Jeff Sessions suggested he could resign amid rising tension w/ Prez

cameron

Two things - if Sessions was serious about resigning, he would have. And Trump isn't firing someone who would leave him with Rosenstein.

— Maggie Haberman‏ (@maggieNYT) June 6, 2017

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
So the important question is, who would replace him?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
But that would be temporary no? He'd probably offer it to someone else.

What's neat is that even if someone accepts, Trump is so crazy he'd day one ask them to do something they don't want to, and then be looking to fire them again.

I think the funniest thing about all this is that Sessions thinks that Trump will actually calm down and get off his ass because he offered his resignation. He probably just bought himself a week at most until Trump is screaming at him again.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
I don't smoke, but if Sessions leaves I will buy some pot and smoke it, reveling in the fact that Sessions cannot do a thing about this Mexican getting high in America.

Tovarisc

m2rNbS4.png

https://twitter.com/OversightDems/status/872446357797253121

Lunar15

Eh, this is a whole lotta nothing. While Trump's administration is the outlier of all outliers, it wouldn't surprise me if people talk about resigning amid tense situations in every administration.

bachikarn

If Sessions left, could Trump nominate a replacement that shut down Mueller's investigation? Would obviously look bad but republicans could spin it as not being needed anymore.

johnsmith

remember me
Peter Baker @peterbakernyt

Trump declines to respond when reporters ask if he still has confidence in Sessions. “Thank you,” he mouths, heading to helicopter.

Josh Dawsey @jdawsey1

Scene at White House this morning:
Reporters shout at Trump asking if he has confidence in Jeff Sessions, his AG. "Thank you," he mouths.

Ac30

Trump declines to respond when reporters ask if he still has confidence in Sessions. “Thank you,” he mouths, heading to helicopter.

Josh Dawsey @jdawsey1

Reporters shout at Trump asking if he has confidence in Jeff Sessions, his AG. "Thank you," he mouths.

So he's staying then, since Trump only fires people he has full confidence in.

Tovarisc

Trump aides tell him to keep Sessions as U.S. attorney general: sources

Aides to President Donald Trump are urging him not to fire Attorney General Jeff Sessions despite rifts between the two men, sources familiar with internal White House conversations said on Wednesday.

Media reports that Sessions recently offered to resign surfaced earlier this week. They added to pressure on Trump as former FBI Director James Comey, who was abruptly fired from his post last month, prepared to testify in Congress on Thursday about his interactions with the president.

Trump did not accept Sessions' resignation offer and is now being advised to keep his attorney general in place, at least for the time being, two source said.

Political and legal advisers inside the White House have told Trump over the past month that firing Sessions would create another political fire storm and make it more difficult to fill key jobs inside his administration, the sources said on the condition of anonymity.

"That's the advice he's been given. But he might not listen to that advice," one of the sources said.

A spokeswoman at the Justice Department declined to comment, and the White House did not respond to a request for comment.

Trump has repeatedly shrugged off advice from close aides.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...=topNews&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=Social

Linkura

Josh Dawsey @jdawsey1

The fuck does that even mean.

Derwind

Political and legal advisers inside the White House have told Trump over the past month that firing Sessions would create another political fire storm and make it more difficult to fill key jobs inside his administration, the sources said on the condition of anonymity.

"That's the advice he's been given. But he might not listen to that advice," one of the sources said.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...=topNews&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=Social

Oh god, please Trump, do it!!!

X-Frame

I don't understand though -- if Sessions is gone and a new AG is hired then they would have the ability to shut down the Mueller investigation, right? Wouldn't that be Trump's easiest way to make that go away? From a technical standpoint that is, excluding how incredibly poor that would look ..

I think deep down this is is fucking with Trump. He knows he can't fire Sessions because that would be awful, but he can't accept his resignation because that's worse. This is probably the first time he's had to work with someone whom he hates but can't do anything about it.

I think deep down this is is fucking with Trump. He knows he can't fire Sessions because that would be awful, but he can't accept his resignation because that's worse. This is probably the first time he's had to work with someone whom he hates but can't do anything about it.

The best part about this whole thing is that he's burning through every ally he has. And at that level of government if you don't have allies you're up shit creek without a paddle.

Tovarisc

I don't understand though -- if Sessions is gone and a new AG is hired then they would have the ability to shut down the Mueller investigation, right? Wouldn't that be Trump's easiest way to make that go away? From a technical standpoint that is, excluding how incredibly poor that would look ..

If I understood Rosenstein right in today's Congress session he is only person able to fire Mueller. Harris was grilling him to put into writing that he will give Mueller true freedom and never fire him.

I imagine AG and President could do it, but it would be political suicide even for this Goon Squad.

Josh Dawsey @jdawsey1

So...that almost certainly means he doesn't have confidence in him.

I read somewhere that Trump somehow thought Sessions was too politically correct in the travel ban, if that is even possible. So if he is replaced it will probably be even worse.

Shoeless

If I understood Rosenstein right in today's Congress session he is only person able to fire Mueller. Harris was grilling him to put into writing that he will give Mueller true freedom and never fire him.

I imagine AG and President could do it, but it would be political suicide even for this Goon Squad.

I don't think you can count on Trump actually knowing this is political suicide, since firing Comey was pretty much that and he did it anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if he does fire him, then tries to get replace him with someone who's public mandate is to shut down the investigation.

FStubbs

I don't think you can count on Trump actually knowing this is political suicide, since firing Comey was pretty much that and he did it anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if he does fire him, then tries to get replace him with someone who's public mandate is to shut down the investigation.

Nothing Trump has done has been political suicide to date. He probably feels impervious at this point.

Shoeless

Nothing Trump has done has been political suicide to date. He probably feels impervious at this point.

This is probably also true. The fact that "he's gotten away with it so far" probably does him give a sense of invincibility that will make him reckless and drive his staff nuts.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Sessions is the worst one in the administration especially in his role.

Please let this happen.

Top Bottom