• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attorney General Jeff Sessions suggested he could resign amid rising tension w/ Prez

Lemonz

source.gif

X-Frame

Can someone please ELI5 -- can Trump fire Sessions and then attempt to bring in someone else specifically so that they could do something about the Mueller probe? Would that essentially be almost the exactly same as Watergate?

aeolist

Banned
I guess the broader question is, was he expecting his AG to take all the hits? Not recusing himself would have been a disastrous move for the credibility of the office of the AG and the president. Is nobody telling Trump that this tantrum makes him look like an angry idiot on top of guilty? Is the Executive Branch that understaffed that there is absolutely nobody on counsel who can say 'Hey maybe stop alienating your allies over making very obviously correct legal and political decisions?'

the only things he cares about are personal loyalty and fame. add in dementia and pre-diabetes and you can extrapolate the entire trump administration from there.

He's playing chicken with Trump.

He wants to maintain some of his power because he doesn't want to just do Trump's bidding at this point. But Trump knows he almost can't get rid of him because his replacement would almost certainly be worse for him than Sessions. It will be nearly impossible for him to appoint a Surrogate to AG or someone who would be at least even somewhat loyal to him like Sessions has been at points

So basically he's saying "I'm going to do what I want at this point. Don't like it, I'll resign. If I don't resign, fire me."

Which honestly is a good play from Sessions. Don't think Trump has a counter.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Added pressure to resign now that this whole 'Comey told him about the problems with Prez and recommended firing him anyway' thing.

Sobriquet

But wait! There's more:

Jim Acosta‏ @Acosta

It's almost 9pm and WH still cannot say whether POTUS has confidence in his Attorney General. "No updates," a WH official said.

and

Jim Acosta‏ @Acosta

Official said they don't want repeat of Flynn episode when some officials said POTUS had confidence in Flynn when that wasn't the case.

https://twitter.com/Acosta/status/872254848766529536

Kensation

But wait! There's more:

Jim Acosta‏ @Acosta

It's almost 9pm and WH still cannot say whether POTUS has confidence in his Attorney General. "No updates," a WH official said.

and

Jim Acosta‏ @Acosta

Official said they don't want repeat of Flynn episode when some officials said POTUS had confidence in Flynn when that wasn't the case.

JQadcT.gif

The fact that this is happening 2 days before Comey's testimony, fucking delicious.

Derwind

The possibility of resigning should not be the foremost concern of the "Human Confederate Monument" Jefferson Beauregard Sessions III. Given all the talks of Russian collusion in the adminstration, especially in regards to Sessions and along with Mueller on the case!

Keep on sweating.

But wait! There's more:

Jim Acosta‏ @Acosta

and

Jim Acosta‏ @Acosta

3381726-bth_joker_andherewego.gif

cameron

Confirmed that Sessions at one point told the president, amid tensions NYT reported last night, that he needed room to do his job and 1/

— Maggie Haberman‏ (@maggieNYT) June 6, 2017

...did not need to remain it if the president didn't want him there. Trump declined to accept. 2/2

— Maggie Haberman‏ (@maggieNYT) June 6, 2017

ICO_SotC

Of course Trump wouldn't accept his resignation, who the hell else is he going to get to do the job at this point?

Who wants to get on the Titanic meets the Hindenburg?

Geist-

Sessions resigning right after Comey hearing would make this the best week since Trump's presidency started.

Permanently A

I'm sure the reason Trump is pissed off is because with Sessions as the AG he felt like he could have influenced Sessions to back off the Flynn investigation. And Rosenstein fucked Trump by appointing Mueller to get back at him for Trump using Rosenstein as a scapegoat for firing Comey.

The dominoes are falling. Can't wait for Thursday.

kevin1025

Banned
But wait! There's more:

Jim Acosta‏ @Acosta

and

Jim Acosta‏ @Acosta

"Wait, don't fire him! Let's see what Trump has tweeted about him first..... Okay, don't fire him, he said he has faith in him four days back."

theWB27

I'm sure the reason Trump is pissed off is because with Sessions as the AG he felt like he could have influenced Sessions to back off the Flynn investigation. And Rosenstein fucked Trump by appointing Mueller to get back at him for Trump using Rosenstein as a scapegoat for firing Comey.

The dominoes are falling. Can't wait for Thursday.

Not even influence. They were on the same team.

Armaros

I guess the broader question is, was he expecting his AG to take all the hits? Not recusing himself would have been a disastrous move for the credibility of the office of the AG and the president. Is nobody telling Trump that this tantrum makes him look like an angry idiot on top of guilty? Is the Executive Branch that understaffed that there is absolutely nobody on counsel who can say 'Hey maybe stop alienating your allies over making very obviously correct legal and political decisions?'

Trump expects people to toe the line and defend him absolutely, why do you think spicer and everyone else absolutely do what Trumps wants beyond anything else? Because they get destroyed backstage when it goes back and they dont do their utmost to defend Trump even if it means lying or taking the hits.

Top Bottom