• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attorney General Jeff Sessions suggested he could resign amid rising tension w/ Prez

Blader

Does the DAG automatically become AG if the current one steps down anyway? I know Trump can name someone else, but for the foreseeable future it's probably going to be in the current DAG's hands

yes, if Sessions resigned/was fired, then Rosenstein would become acting AG.

Volimar

DO IT!

9eA03kR.gif

Anyone saying it's best for Sessions to not resign is high on dust

You want him gone ASAP

Exactly, anything to get him out of any and all power is fine by me. I would have preferred him in handcuffs and on his way to the prisons he loves to throw people in, but running away with his tail behind his legs because the senile fascist he backed has turned on him is pretty good too. He's probably the worst part of Trump's Cabinet outside of maybe DeVos, although almost everyone hates her whereas people are actually supporting the vile shit Sessions has said and tried to push through in the DOJ.

Alavard

You want him gone ASAP

I just think it's better for him to still be as close to Trump as possible when he goes down from the investigations. I wouldn't want Trump to have time to distance himself from him.

Edit - then again, there's also the chance of him turning and also the fact that it would be one less close ally for Trump. What do I know, anyway?

Blader

You want him gone ASAP

yes, you can't accuse Republicans of putting party before country, then turn around and wish for Sessions to stay at DOJ longer just because it pisses off Trump. That's not even a political argument, it's just pettiness that puts a lot of innocent people in harm's way.

I just think it's better for him to still be as close to Trump as possible when he goes down from the investigations. I wouldn't want Trump to have time to distance himself from him.

It's a little late for that. In whatever way Sessions may be implicated in this investigation, it's because of events that happened last year.

aeolist

Banned
i'd like to congratulate incoming attorney general mike cernovich and wish him well with his investigation into pizzagate

I dont think thats possible

A year ago we didn't think it would be possible for Donald Trump to win the presidency.
Six months ago we didn't think it would be possible for him to do half the things he's already done.
A month ago we didn't think he'd fire the Director of the FBI.

"I don't think Donald Trump can/will..." is no longer any kind of valid line of thinking.

FStubbs

Good, I hope he still faces high crimes and rots in a private prison

The best punishment for Sessions would be for him to be arrested and have black FBI agents give him the perp walk. That would be the ultimate punishment for him.

A year ago we didn't think it would be possible for Donald Trump to win the presidency.
Six months ago we didn't think it would be possible for him to do half the things he's already done.
A month ago we didn't think he'd fire the Director of the FBI.

"I don't think Donald Trump can/will..." is no longer any kind of valid line of thinking.

Donald Trump entered the Tyson zone years ago. It's at this point he's not even bound by the law anymore.

Sessions is a piece of shit, but he knows how the government works. Trump doesn't, is getting increasingly frustrated, and is lashing out

The next incoming guy would have to take the position knowing:

A. Trump is under a serious investigation
B. He'll demand loyalty.
C. He's not very good at being loyal himself as he tossed the DAG under the buss.

I'm sure someone will, but I have no idea why anyone would take a job in his admin after his first 5 months in office.

I'm convinced Trump will find somebody even worse.

The problem is that the cat is out of the bag. This isn't day 10 or 20 of the Trump presidency. We're now deep into the Russia probe. We have a deeply unpopular president who's entire agenda is mired in that probe and GOP congress that's tiring of the circus even if they won't say it publicly. Given the Russia probe, Trump choosing one of his stooges as AG will not fly and will not pass Senate confirmation. If your concern was reality, we'd have anyone of the stooges that were up for FBI director going through Senate confirmation right now. All backed out for a variety of reasons and we'd see the same situation if Sessions was gone.

Trump isn't going to have an option but to put someone actually qualified and comfirmable for the FBI without huge blowback from Democrats and even R's who need for the pick to look unimpeachable given the Comey firing. Given the Russian situation, I see the same thing playing out of Sessions was gone.

Also, fuck Jeff Sessions and I hope he's gone ASAP. I'll quite literally sleep better at night on that day.

Get ready for AG David Clarke!

Black/minority people we fucked!
search

imgres

He'd be utterly eviscerated in a Senate confirmation hearing...lol.

He was supposed to be the firewall and Trump is stuck stewing unknowingly while the investigation continues without stooges in place.

It's...in the very brief OP.

I guess the broader question is, was he expecting his AG to take all the hits? Not recusing himself would have been a disastrous move for the credibility of the office of the AG and the president. Is nobody telling Trump that this tantrum makes him look like an angry idiot on top of guilty? Is the Executive Branch that understaffed that there is absolutely nobody on counsel who can say 'Hey maybe stop alienating your allies over making very obviously correct legal and political decisions?'

Top Bottom