• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ATV Wild Ride 3D (Renegade Kid / Nintendo 3DS eShop) Review Thread

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

MetaCritic: 66 / 100

Nintendojo: A-
Nintendojo said:
...An online multiplayer experience on par with Mario Kart 7.

...The brilliance of Renegade Kid’s latest game is that it’s a fully featured ATV racing game in the palm of your hand. It provides fun and challenge in singleplayer with seamless local and online multiplayer to boot, supported by robust tricks and physics systems. ATV Wild Ride 3D is akin to a portable Pure carrying the torch that the Excite series set ablaze.

Fanbolt: 9.0 / 10
Fanbolt said:
ATV Wild Ride 3D is a fun, arcade-style ATV game that provides challenge, but also options for carefree racing. The amount of content that it has is unprecedented for a digital-only game, and it is truly one of a kind, being an online racer for the eShop. Hopefully its presence, along with Nano Assault EX, an upgraded version of the 2011 retail game, can encourage other developers to bring these kinds of experiences to the eShop. We certainly would not mind, as it stays competitive and dramatically softens the blow on our wallets without compromising the experience itself.

NintendoFuse: 9 / 10
NintendoFuse said:
The locations vary, not only in visuals, but also in layout. You will find yourself racing on the same tracks as before, except the layout will either be Normal, Reverse, Extended, or Extended Reverse. This was a really smart move on Renegade Kid’s part, as they were able to reuse assets without making the game stale. Each tour consists of four races, some of which are as simple as racing, others are elimination races (last place is eliminated at the start of the next lap), and then there are even freestyle races (your rank is determined by your trick points earned.) Between the types of races you’ll be competing in, and the various forms and locales of tracks, there is a lot of content in World Tour alone.

Clash Entertainment: 87 / 100
Clash Entertainment said:
Players earn points for the tricks they perform. Those can build up into a quick little boost. If you race smart in the early races you will not need that skill. Once you hit the medium difficulty track courses you better learn how to build that boost up. Otherwise you will find yourself on the lower end of the spectrum.

ATV Wild Ride 3D has a long list of unlockable content. This includes tracks, tours, racers, ATVs, and more. If you completely dominate ATV Wild Ride 3D, then you can go and compete against others locally or online. The online mode is going to seriously interest the competitive gamers.

NintendoChronicle: 8 / 10
NintendoChronicle said:
In the racing department, Wild Ride certainly does give you a lot of bang for your eShop buck. Single player offers Quick Race, Freestyle, and Time Trial- along with World Tour, which comprises the meat of the game and allows you to unlock new racers and ATVs . In addition to standard races, there’s a unique elimination race which demands that you constantly lead the pack. Fans of F-Zero will love elimination races, and these races certainly served as a highlight for me. If the plethora of single player modes doesn’t satisfy you, there’s a full-featured online mode with leaderboards. For an eShop game, that’s quite a feat.

Nintendo Okie: 4 / 5
Nintendo Okie said:
The 3DS has a few good racing games available, but this is easily one of the best racing games that you can play on the system. The races are a lot of fun. The tracks and nicely laid out and varied. The frantic pace keeps you on the edge from the beginning of your play session too the end and the online play adds a nice touch giving you the option of racing against more intelligent opponents. There are some minor gripes about the game as mentioned above as well as some inconsistencies as to which barriers will keep you on the track and which will let you pass right through them. If you’re looking for a good racing game to give you something different than Mario Kart then this is $8 that will be well spent.

NintendoDude: 4 / 5
NintendoDude said:
Personally, I really enjoyed the game. The track design requires you to learn every jump and curve and master the timing of tricks. It may not be as accessible as, well, say Mario Kart 7, however it certainly is a solid enough racing entry on the Nintendo 3DS. As long as the game can keep a thriving online community, this game could definitely have some legs. The price of the game makes it a no-brainer purchase for those looking for a quick arcade racer fix on the go.

Wiiloveit.com: 23 / 30
Wiiloveit.com said:
At ATV Wild Ride 3D's base, the formula existing here is easily understood, carries enough potential for players to grow with, and delivers a thrill that reaches to moderate levels of intensity. I can't close off without stating that there are aspects that breach the fun factor and the extent of the focus, but even still, the game's delivery is pretty super in the way it digs into the strengths of the genre and replicates these with style. ATV Wild Ride 3D's welcome supply of pressure and tension proves greatly satisfying, and with this in mind, it'll more than do the trick for any hankering you get for accessible racing with an arcade flavour.

Nintendo World Report: 7.5 / 10
Nintendo World Report said:
Importantly, Wild Ride's racing is its strongest quality. The hills and valleys of each track reward risky behaviour, and provide many opportunities to earn Nitro. Turns can come quickly, requiring swift thinking and a good knowledge of the road ahead. Even so, the track design seems lacking on a technical level. Arrow signs that warn of upcoming turns aren’t a physical presence in the world, and you can pass through them. Since these signs appear as barriers on the edge of the track, it’s discouraging when you just pass through one, often into the void. Some jumps can be just as painful, sending you out of bounds just for driving over them at normal speed. While you could chalk up these instances to unfamiliarity with the courses, the computer-controlled racers often make the same error. If the AI can’t properly drive these courses, I’d argue that some changes should have been made.

Gaming Vlog Network: 7.5 / 10
Gaming Vlog Network said:
ATV Wild Ride 3D is a fantastic multiplayer online racing game that will have you racing for hours as long as there's people online. The implementation of the online multiplayer and ranking system makes up for the short single player replay value. Visuals are ok at most, while the music is great and fits well with the title.

Destructoid: 6.5 / 10
Destructoid said:
Online play works exactly as advertised. All you have to do is boot up the mode, jump in some lobbies, and race! With a distinct lack of online games on the 3DS eShop, this addition was refreshing, and should help elongate some of the repetition found in the single player portion.

In many ways, ATV Wild Ride 3D is stuck in the 90s, but that isn't wholly a bad thing. It does everything that it advertises -- it allows you to ride ATV vehicles on some pretty neat courses, in 3D. Just don't expect much more than that.

Modojo: 3 / 5
Modojo said:
Where the game manages to shine is with the aforementioned online play. Granted, Wild Ride just went on sale, but once you locate fellow players, jumping into a race is quite easy and seamless, without much lag to ruin things.

Taking that into account, ATV Wild Ride 3D was clearly designed as a quick-play arcade-style game, and while the visuals do very little with the hardware, you'll probably come back to this title more than you originally thought. Just don't go into it with high expectations.

Nintendo Life: 5 / 10
Nintendo Life said:
The game is something of a mixed bag. Its online functionality is solid and very much welcome on the eShop, and the generous number of unlockable racers and vehicles encourages replay for fans of the game. But significant clipping issues, glitchy boundary detection and clumsy implementation of the "trick" mechanic mar the experience significantly. It's a great idea, and the online fun may balance out the issues for some players, but we feel as though this one ran out of gas.

3DS View
3DS View said:
ATV Wild Ride 3D is a fairly generous package for the price. Being able to take the game online at 60 FPS is worth the cost of entry alone. There’s a tad bit of a learning curve, especially if you’re just coming off of playing Mario Kart 7 day and night like I have, but once you get the hang of it, it’s all good.

4colorrebellion
4cr said:
If you’re good, it will take you about 2-3 hours to complete every single course in Tour Mode. Luckily the replay value for the game increases considerably thanks to the local and online multiplayer which allows you to race with players near and far. You can also replay the World Tour to increase your overall score to unlock all the racers and ATVs or just play a quick race for fun.

ATV Wild Ride 3D is a short and sweet release that rewards those that learn how the game works. At the end of the day though it is a port of DS game, but the improvements made, the online multiplayer and the $7.99 price tag makes it worthy of your time and money.

NintendoEverything
NintendoEverything said:
Buy this game if…

… you’re in the market for a good racing game with significant gameplay depth and nuance, assuming you can forgive one or two small technical issues and generic-looking courses here and there.

Don’t but this game if…

… you prefer your racers to be fast-paced and straightforward, or you simply don’t like racing games.

This game is better than:

It’s better than every other off-road racing game I can think of from the last ten years, most of which are on PS2. But that doesn’t necessarily do the game justice since most of those games were sort of bad. Ah well.

This game is worse than…

Wave Race 64 (similar)
Mario Kart 7

GoNintendo
Go Nintendo said:
The track design in ATV Wild Ride 3D is both interesting and frustrating. There's a nice collection of different themed tracks, all with some sort of standout moments. Racing alongside a canyon's edge, sliding across the ice in a cavern or hitting big jumps in an indoor arena. You'll have to tackle all this and more in your journey to become number 1. Indeed, the tracks are fun to play, but in your focus of tricking for boost, you'll quickly find yourself losing ground every other second.

Pure Nintendo
Pure Nintendo said:
Even though Wild Ride 3D is just an advancement of the DS version, it still seems like its very own game. Wild Ride 3D offers most of the same levels, but bolsters better graphics and controls. The addition of the circle pad feels more natural than the D-pad on the DS. Even the ATV controls feel like they received a tweak or two, which makes the game controls better overall. The controls do seem a little weird at first, but one can quickly become comfortable with them. The game graphics have been revamped to show smoother, crisper edges as well as the sound enhanced to optimize the 3DS speakers.

ATV Wild Ride 3D is now available in the Nintendo 3DS eShop for $7.99.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
It doesn't seem bad at all. I hope it comes here in Europe soon. :)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
It doesn't seem bad at all. I hope it comes here in Europe soon. :)

Seems like it's because of the rating systems taking their sweet ass time:

And then, we wait for the game to launch, which as of today looks like March 2013. We would like to release the game in the US and Europe at the same time, but it depends on when we receive age rating from PEGI, USK and COB. We already have the ESRB rating. In fact, I got it within 10 minutes of applying for it. ESRB are great. The others need to follow suit. So, if the game does not release in Europe at the same time as the US, you’ll know why. That would make me sad, but we cannot risk missing this quarter with the US release of the game.

10 minute response time and no charge to rate. ESRB showing the others how its done.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Is there a demo planned for this game? I think they did one for Mutant Mudds.

I don't think they've said but it's probably an inevitability. MM's demo didn't launch until a bit after launch as well.

Wiiloveit.com: 23 / 30

What a weird way to rate things!

Based on several factors:

Gameplay 8/10
Presentation 7/10
Enjoyment 4/5
Extra Content 4/5

Kinda like Famitsu's system except with different factors instead of reviewers. Not a bad system actually.

Sounds pretty bad, actually. Are they still judging games by watching a short compilation video?

Yes, as they've always done it. The onus falls on the developer to be honest. Self regulation and all that.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
So, if Nintendoeverything says its worse then MK64 and 7 is it still worth it?

Buy this game if…

… you’re in the market for a good racing game with significant gameplay depth and nuance, assuming you can forgive one or two small technical issues and generic-looking courses here and there.

Sounds like a winner to me. I've needed a decent handheld off-road racer. The only Motorstorm available on Vita is that cruddy RC game, and I've played the crap out of Mario Kart 7.

Empty

sounds interesting but need reviews from outlets i trust.

Sounds like a winner to me. I've needed a decent handheld off-road racer. The only Motorstorm available on Vita is that cruddy RC game, and I've played the crap out of Mario Kart 7.

have you played motorstorm arctic edge (psp). it's really good.

Seems like a nice ode to Excite Bike 64--I also really liked the DS version of the game.

Will pick this up tomorrow, along with Kersploosh, Nano Assault EX and Mercs.

Neiteio

Most of those reviews are from sites with "Nintendo" in their name.

EDIT: A "portable Pure?" Color me interested.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Most of those reviews are from sites with "Nintendo" in their name.

Mainstream outlets have difficulty giving the time of day to any handheld game, let alone a download-only one. It's an unfortunately prevalent bias in gaming journalism.

EDIT: A "portable Pure?" Color me interested.

Pure was one of the original inspirations for the game:

"Our focus was to try and capture the excitement and energy of Pure. Even if were able to capture only an ounce of what Pure offered, we felt that we'd have a fun game on our hands. To me, that means exotic locations, big jumps, cool tricks, and nitro boosts!"

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Needs a demo, as the reviews sound polarizing.

They all basically seem to reiterate the same points, it just depends on how sensitive the reviewer was to some issues like clipping issues, and how warm they were on the core gameplay.

Neiteio

Can someone bullet-point the main issues? Don't have time to read the full reviews right now. The excerpts give me an idea, but I'm not quite clear. Any screenshots people can post? (I know the games always look better on the actual system, in full 3D at 60fps in this case) Also, that whole bit about AI having trouble sticking to the course actually sounds like a plus, imo, because at least then the AI doesn't have an unfair advantage, and any trickiness to the turns or jumps is challenging all parties equally.

Hale-XF11

The intelligence of the AI is somewhat dependent on the difficulty level. The AI riders are complete idiots on the Easy setting, but totally ruthless when set on Extreme difficulty.

There are clipping issues, but only with certain objects and only if you happen to run into those objects often, which if you're having problems controlling your ATV, then you might run into objects often, but honestly I don't think it's that bad. This isn't MK7, where you can keep your finger on the accelerator at all times.

Like Pure, track memorization combined with pulling off tricks successfully to earn nitro is key to winning races.

edit: btw, online racing is intense and addicting, beware!

NewFresh

Just picked it up and played my first few races. The game is solid but very basic. Maybe I was just expecting more for some reason. Granted, this could change in later levels, but I don't see it happening. It's an ATV game and that's about it. Not bad, just ok.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
DOWNLOADING
05oLgsh.gif

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Seems like you've been waiting forever for this game. Enjoy. :)

I felt bad since when I met Jools last year I didn't even know the DS game existed, and I considered myself an RK fan... So I wanted to correct that with the re-release. :p

Just played a couple tracks, this game is solid! The jump boost system just *feels* right and although I haven't gotten the hang of tricks, I can tell they add a lot. I also like the way the ATV's handle, in most racing games there's this certain amount of slipperyness that's compensated by there being some kind of sliding mechanic (with varying degrees of effectiveness...), but here there's no need. When you turn, you turn exactly how you think you're supposed to turn. It's kinda refreshing.

Graphics are... well, DS+ let's say -- passable but not RE Revelation or anything. But I appreciate it carries the 60fps Renegade Kid torch, this is really a genre where it's necessary IMO. Can't wait to play online, I can still hardly believe an eShop-only game even has online. I hope people get this game so there's a decent community.

Asimov

Banned
Dayum... so many games!

I need a $50 eShop card. Good thing I have plenty of space. I love that the 3DS uses regulard SD cards!

wondermega

Alright alright alright already ill buy it
Been waiting for stuff like this on 3DS for ages and the price sounds perfect

Peru

Was it originally a DS title? Looks that way from graphics. Not saying that says anything about quality of game of course.

Asimov

Banned
One of the nicest things about the system for sure.

05oLgsh.gif

Yeah. I can't believe that I paid less than $30 for a 32GB card, Class 10, and now I can't even play all my PS+ and free PSP games on my Vita because I have to pay almost $100 to get a decent card.

Boney

Banned
Can someone bullet-point the main issues? Don't have time to read the full reviews right now. The excerpts give me an idea, but I'm not quite clear. Any screenshots people can post? (I know the games always look better on the actual system, in full 3D at 60fps in this case) Also, that whole bit about AI having trouble sticking to the course actually sounds like a plus, imo, because at least then the AI doesn't have an unfair advantage, and any trickiness to the turns or jumps is challenging all parties equally.

If you don't have the time now why don't you read it when you get home

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Was it originally a DS title? Looks that way from graphics. Not saying that says anything about quality of game of course.

Yes. It was released in 2011 for $20 on the DS.

Comparison (3DS top, DS bottom):

glSis4O.png

R33xjhZ.png

It's 60fps even in 3D and online too, keep in mind.

Hale-XF11

There's already a good number of people playing this online. I got in a whole a bunch of matches already and I'm going back online with it right now.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
This game is fricking fun!

I didn't pay attention to it at first cause I'm not an ATV lover, but this is a great arcade racer.

Hale-XF11

I felt bad since when I met Jools last year I didn't even know the DS game existed, and I considered myself an RK fan... So I wanted to correct that with the re-release. :p

Just played a couple tracks, this game is solid! The jump boost system just *feels* right and although I haven't gotten the hang of tricks, I can tell they add a lot. I also like the way the ATV's handle, in most racing games there's this certain amount of slipperyness that's compensated by there being some kind of sliding mechanic (with varying degrees of effectiveness...), but here there's no need. When you turn, you turn exactly how you think you're supposed to turn. It's kinda refreshing.

Graphics are... well, DS+ let's say -- passable but not RE Revelation or anything. But I appreciate it carries the 60fps Renegade Kid torch, this is really a genre where it's necessary IMO. Can't wait to play online, I can still hardly believe an eShop-only game even has online. I hope people get this game so there's a decent community.

I didn't know about the DS game either at the time. I'm guessing it got a very limited release and didn't sell well, which I'm sure put a dent in their budget.

I hear you about the controls. They just feel right.

Now that I've gotten in a lot of playtime with this game, I'm really hoping for the possibility of DLC tracks. Would be nice to have more locations to choose from.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I didn't know about the DS game either at the time. I'm guessing it got a very limited release and didn't sell well, which I'm sure put a dent in their budget.

I hear you about the controls. They just feel right.

Now that I've gotten in a lot of playtime with this game, I'm really hoping for the possibility of DLC tracks. Would be nice to have more locations to choose from.

Yeah! Or racers. Holding out for playable Doctor or Max/Grannie...

Went ahead and downloaded!

I like what I see so far. Racing is really smooth, tricks are really easy to pull off, plenty of spots to get good air. There also seems to be a decent amount to unlock.

I really like the music too. The lead singer for a couple tracks sounds just like the guy from Dead Kennedys.

Edit: My friend code is 4468-1194-8378 if anyone wants to race.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Curse you PEGI, USK et al.

Hale-XF11

haha! I played you on random. My name is ray00101.

You whupped my ass!

lol, nice. Been playing this game all day today cuz I got nothing better to do, haha.

edit: Small tip for anyone just starting out with this game: Hit the accelerator at "2" at the start for a boost.

Top Bottom