• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ATV Wild Ride 3D (Renegade Kid / Nintendo 3DS eShop) Review Thread

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Getting a little better now... slowly but surely. I can't do ATVs without handling maxed out, though. :p

Leaderboard is up to 39 people now. I'm down to #7, not as bad a drop as I thought. "Malachite" has displaced Jools as #1 even though he only has 6 races and Jools has 107! :eek:

Hale-XF11

Getting a little better now... slowly but surely. I can't do ATVs without handling maxed out, though. :p

Leaderboard is up to 39 people now. I'm down to #7, not as bad a drop as I thought. "Malachite" has displaced Jools as #1 even though he only has 6 races and Jools has 107! :eek:

I'm not entirely sure how the leaderboards work, but I think he got to the top because he raced me and beat me a few times, but I beat him a few times too, so I find it confusing how it works, heh.

Our races were super fun though. We were side-by-side nearly the entire time in every race. I love it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Jools said if you beat someone higher rank, you get more points. So if you race against only high-ranking players you'll be at the top in no time.

Hale-XF11

Jools said if you beat someone higher rank, you get more points. So if you race against only high-ranking players you'll be at the top in no time.

I suppose that makes sense, but I guess I thought it would be more gradual than that. I mean, Jools has so many wins and the other guy never even had to race him to get to that position. Seems kinda faulty in that regard, but eh, whatever.

all I want is this in 3D on a handheld

655.JPG
The demo of this game is worth $8 by itself.

DonMigs85

A little more effort in the graphics woulda been nice - seems they didn't bother improving the level or character geometry.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Woot, beat Tour 3!

Is it considered cheating to farm points in Freestyle by going back and forth over the same set of pointable hills?

Will be hosting in the next 3 minutes.

Woot, beat Tour 3!

Is it considered cheating to farm points in Freestyle by going back and forth over the same set of pointable hills?

Will be hosting in the next 3 minutes.
Heh, I must be good at the game or something because I beat the 3rd tour last night after about an hour with the game.

(Hey, I don't get to brag very often.)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I wouldn't say you're good, I'm just terrible. :p

Dropped to #10 in the rankings even after coming in second twice! Bah. Lost to Hale-Bopp who's #4 and has played the second most races at 82. I'm up to 8, myself! :p

There's 44 players in the leaderboard now. Not enough random games being, hosted, though! Seems like everyone just lurks, waiting for one to pop up.

I hate the Canada course with an intense passion.

I like the Canada course, but I hate the America one.

Hale-XF11

Lost to Hale-Bopp who's #4 and has played the second most races at 82. I'm up to 8, myself! :p

That's me, btw. :p

And yeah, Jools is insane. I've only beaten him twice so far. His weakness is the shorter tracks for some reason (or I just suck a bit more at the longer tracks).

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Longer tracks give you more rope to hang yourself with, at least in my case. I can take the lead early on but I can rarely hold on to it.

To me that means I'm not getting enough Nitro to keep up.

Hale-XF11

Longer tracks give you more rope to hang yourself with, at least in my case. I can take the lead early on but I can rarely hold on to it.

To me that means I'm not getting enough Nitro to keep up.

True enough. This game is ruthless in that regard. It makes track memorization all the more vital to winning.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I'm starting to wish this game had invisible walls like MK instead of doing the Excite Truck crash thing. I know why it's here but if you're already going so far out of bounds, you're lacking skill anyways.

True enough. This game is ruthless in that regard. It makes track memorization all the more vital to winning.

Exactly. Which is actually kind of tough with all the variations. :p

Hale-XF11

Ugggggggh, there's something about online that's kinda pissing me off.

Whenever you play with 3-4 people online (and you're not the host) and you start out behind someone and get the boost at the start, you basically just smack right into the person directly in front of you, causing you to stop dead in place while that person boosts ahead and starts out with a nice lead.

How could they not catch that during development? So lame.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
OK, unlikely-sequel idea time!

Renegade Kid Wild Ride (2?)

- 60fps
- 3DS quality visuals.
- Still eShop, $15.
- 8 player racing.
- Online (obviously) and DLC map packs.
- ATVs, motorbikes, karts, and hoverboards.
- Playable racers from every RK IP.

DAY ZERO

M3d10n

The 1998-style graphics together with the pumping soundtrack creates some bizarre nostalgic feelings... It's almost charming, in a strange way.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The 1998-style graphics together with the pumping soundtrack creates some bizarre nostalgic feelings... It's almost charming, in a strange way.

Yeah some of the reviewers have said the same thing. I mean, bad graphics are bad graphics, but for some people they do have a charm.

Gonna try and beat all the tours today.
75bs7Dh.gif

Hale-XF11

I beat all the tours, but have yet to unlock the very last rider/vehicle. No idea how to unlock them either. Maybe you have to get a perfect score in all the tours.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Unlocked Tour 6 but haven't attempted it yet (the Difficulty: EXTREME! is kinda offputting, lol) but I have gotten gold in all the others, except for Tour 5 which I've only played once. Some of these mirrored tracks seriously mess me up, lol. But I can definitely tell I'm getting better. The hardest part aside from memorizing the tracks is remembering which tricks you've pulled off. Wish the game had some kind of HUD element appear when you press a shoulder button telling which tricks you've done for that lap and trick category. Also, attempting the diagonal tricks is kinda crap with the circle pad, kinda makes me just want to play with the d-pad but that doesn't feel right to me, oddly.

Dropped to #12 in the leaderboard which is kinda comforting since I haven't played since yesterday, it means others are playing. :)

Total leaderboard count is up to 54. Going to get online tomorrow and see how good these online players are. :D

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Added Destructoid's review to the OP, they gave it a 6.5. They claim that ATV Wild Ride was good in "a simpler time," so a simpler time was just two years ago? (They gave an 8.0 to the original Wild Ride.) I mean, yes, it's a different reviewer, and it's a different system so the expectations are different, but...

Well, for starters there's no doubt that Wild Ride 3D is the better game. The controls have been tweaked, the graphics updated, the sound redone, and it has online. But OK, let's say that doing all that still wasn't enough to bring it up to expectations for the platform.

But what platform is it on? The eShop. This might just be me, but Wild Ride 3D compares a lot better to other eShop-only racers than the original Wild Ride did for DS racers. Bah.

*shakes fist at clouds*

Q2 for Europe according to Jools on twitter. Can't wait.

I'd be surprised if it took longer than that, since he applied to both the ESRB and the Euro boards at the exact same time.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Hosting some matches online right now. Easy way to move up in the leaderboards! :p

Edit- Played three matches, came in first in the first two, came in second to a CPU on the third... that only let me hold onto #12, didn't even move up. :(

But there are 60 people in the leaderboards now!

You can really tell the skill disparity in this game online. The OK/bad players are not only behind the good players, but way behind the CPU players too. Then you have the great players, who are so far in front of everyone by the end of the first lap it's almost comical.

Also I wish online it would display who's a person and who's a CPU (like MK does.)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I doubt it. I'm also getting in the habit of not letting the lobby stay open after just one person shows up. I left it open after someone had joined up and thirty seconds later they were gone. Is it so much to want more than two human racers?

Would anyone be up for a little GAF tourney? I need some practice before PAX. :)

serplux

I doubt it. I'm also getting in the habit of not letting the lobby stay open after just one person shows up. I left it open after someone had joined up and thirty seconds later they were gone. Is it so much to want more than two human racers?

Would anyone be up for a little GAF tourney? I need some practice before PAX. :)

Maybe tomorrow. Not really feeling up for much gaming tonight.

serplux

Cool! I'll see if I can get Jools to sign up too. :D

I like you've basically become an ambassador for the game. :p I'm interested to see what Treasurenauts (Wii U eShop game) and their 3DS FPS will be like. Especially their FPS. The 3DS needs more love in that genre.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Yeah! Also, think of this: ATV 3D is Renegade Kid's first online game. I hope that means their eShop FPS is also online, if the genre is compatible with it. That could be amazing.

Argh, two weeks left until they show what it is... can't wait! D:

serplux

Yeah! Also, think of this: ATV 3D is Renegade Kid's first online game. I hope that means their eShop FPS is also online, if the genre is compatible with it. That could be amazing.

Argh, two weeks left until they show what it is... can't wait! D:

0a-900-anime_dance.gif

Also with 3DS quality graphics! (Hopefully.) Yay! And Mutant Mudds 2 sometime next year!

I thought Jools said their FPS was going to be strictly single player.

CowboyBebop.gif

Oh well, it's still a FPS on a console that sorely needs one.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
75bs7Dh.gif
RENEGADE KID FRICKING RULES
75bs7Dh.gif

I love how the digital model is basically perfect for them. It always felt like they were trying to find their footing in the DS era, I mean they did try making a Wii game but it was cancelled. But their 3DS FPS will be their fourth release on the 3DS eShop, and they have two games in the work for the Wii U's eShop as well. That's not even counting the PC releases of Mutant Mudds and Dementium 2, or the iOS release of MM either.

Digital + RK = BFFs!

w8T9Zk4.gif
Publishers
ZHsOk1U.gif

serplux

75bs7Dh.gif
75bs7Dh.gif

I love how the digital model is basically perfect for them. It always felt like they were trying to find their footing in the DS era, I mean they did try making a Wii game but it was cancelled. But their 3DS FPS will be their fourth release on the 3DS eShop, and they have two games in the work for the Wii U's eShop as well. That's not even counting the PC releases of Mutant Mudds and Dementium 2, or the iOS release of MM either.

Digital + RK = BFFs!

w8T9Zk4.gif
Publishers
ZHsOk1U.gif

Wasn't Planet Crashers by them too, only it was published by a different company? Renegade Kid has reached around the same status as Shin'en for me.

Hale-XF11

CowboyBebop.gif

Oh well, it's still a FPS on a console that sorely needs one.

lol. Agreed, I've been dying for a killer FPS on the 3DS since day one.

75bs7Dh.gif
75bs7Dh.gif

Digital + RK = BFFs!

w8T9Zk4.gif
Publishers
ZHsOk1U.gif

Yup, publishers were holding them back it seems. Now that independent developers can self-publish, those issues are a thing of the past. Love it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Wasn't Planet Crashers by them too, only it was published by a different company? Renegade Kid has reached around the same status as Shin'en for me.

All their retail titles are by several different publishers.

Dementium = Gamecock (absorbed by SouthPeak)
Moon = Mastiff (pretty sure they undershipped, also did crap job of marketing)
Dementium 2 = SouthPeak (jerked the release date around a lot, undershipped)
ATV Wild Ride = Destineer (SEVERELY undershipped, also jerked the release date around a lot)
Face Racers = Majesco
Planet Crashers = Ignition

Planet Crashers may wind up being their last retail release, at least until they build a bigger rep and have more leverage. As of right now the pubs hold all the power.

It made me laugh a little, but it was also really sad how for *several* different games Jools had to say in his videos "Yeah, I don't know when this is coming out even though we finished it a while ago." It's just, how incompetent can a publisher be? The wait for D2 was extended torture.

I thought Jools said their FPS was going to be strictly single player.

Oh he did? Eh. Must mean it doesn't suit the genre. :p

Although, Dementium 2's score attack mode (was kinda like RE Mercenaries) would have been perfect for online co-op/leaderboards.

serplux

All their retail titles are by several different publishers.

Dementium = Gamecock (absorbed by SouthPeak)
Moon = Mastiff (pretty sure they undershipped, also did crap job of marketing)
Dementium 2 = SouthPeak (jerked the release date around a lot, undershipped)
ATV Wild Ride = Destineer (SEVERELY undershipped)
Face Racers = Majesco
Planet Crashers = Ignition

Planet Crashers may wind up being their last retail release, at least until they build a bigger rep and have more leverage. As of right now the pubs hold all the power.

Isn't Planet Crashers an eShop release though?

Top Bottom