• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ATV Wild Ride 3D (Renegade Kid / Nintendo 3DS eShop) Review Thread

Sounds like a winner to me. I've needed a decent handheld off-road racer. The only Motorstorm available on Vita is that cruddy RC game, and I've played the crap out of Mario Kart 7.
Motorstorm RC is quite fun, has a nice Micro Machines feel to it. I think I've spent more time playing that then alot of the games on my Vita.

Downloaded ATV this morning, looking forward to playing it soonish.

Stupid question I'm guessing, but does online work off friend codes for this?

If so add my my 3DS FC is Worthtendo 3093 7105 8075, just let me know if you've added me and I'll add back

Hale-XF11

Oh man, Arctic Edge was the best thing that ever happened to my PSP back when I still owned one. I kinda miss it sometimes.

Motorstorm RC is quite fun, has a nice Micro Machines feel to it. I think I've spent more time playing that then alot of the games on my Vita.

Downloaded ATV this morning, looking forward to playing it soonish.

Stupid question I'm guessing, but does online work off friend codes for this?

If so add my my 3DS FC is Worthtendo 3093 7105 8075, just let me know if you've added me and I'll add back

Added!

As for online, there's an option for racing with friends or with anyone.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I am the king of Freestyle!
p0QHO.gif

lol, nice. Been playing this game all day today cuz I got nothing better to do, haha.

edit: Small tip for anyone just starting out with this game: Hit the accelerator at "2" at the start for a boost.

I think you have to hold up as well.

ALM5252

Okay, so what is GAF's opinion on this game as a whole (DS -> 3DS, 3DS version as a whole, etc)? I have never played this game, or any ATV game. Seems cool for an eShop download. But I'm not sure; is it a great recommendation, or is there anything to be weary of? I don't download much from the eShop as is, so I would like to be persuaded or something. :)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Okay, so what is GAF's opinion on this game as a whole (DS -> 3DS, 3DS version as a whole, etc)? I have never played this game, or any ATV game. Seems cool for an eShop download. But I'm not sure; is it a great recommendation, or is there anything to be weary of? I don't download much from the eShop as is, so I would like to be persuaded or something. :)

• If you like fun, arcade racers, you'll like this, ATV or no (I'm not an ATV fan.)

• Has a trick system like Mario Kart, but more in depth (total of 24 possible tricks to pull off, three levels of tricks with each taking more time but giving you more Nitro/boost, it's a great split-second risk/reward type thing that really adds a lot to the game.

• The graphics will probably seem a bit jarring at first.

• 3D is really really good, I've played with it off in 90% of other games but I can see myself leaving it on here.

• If it didn't have online, I'd be wary of suggesting you buy it based on the $8 price, but well, it has online. No doubt in my mind that makes it worth the price.

Basically, if you like arcade racers and keep in mind it's a DS enhanced port/remake, I don't know why you shouldn't get it for the price.

ALM5252

• If you like fun, arcade racers, you'll like this, ATV or no (I'm not an ATV fan.)

• Has a trick system like Mario Kart, but more in depth (total of 24 possible tricks to pull off, three levels of tricks with each taking more time but giving you more Nitro/boost, it's a great split-second risk/reward type thing that really adds a lot to the game.

• The graphics will probably seem a bit jarring at first.

• 3D is really really good, I've played with it off in 90% of other games but I can see myself leaving it on here.

• If it didn't have online, I'd be wary of suggesting you buy it based on the $8 price, but well, it has online. No doubt in my mind that makes it worth the price.

Basically, if you like arcade racers and keep in mind it's a DS enhanced port/remake, I don't know why you shouldn't get it for the price.

Seem's like a good use of $8. I like lots of racing games, (Burnout, Mario Kart, F-Zero, NFS, Driver SF, etc) So I assume I'd like this one. I'm not much of an online person, but that could change. I'll buy it when I get the extra spare bucks to spend. Thanks!

Neiteio

Just watched the videos in the eShop -- the "game tips" video (~ 3 min) was especially illuminating. This game has Pure's pre-loading mechanic for priming your ATV before jumps -- AWESOME!

Sakura Samurai is only $5 right now, so I'm trying that first, but ATV Wild Ride 3D is tempting. The visuals actually look kind of nice. Wasn't sure what to expect since I knew the game had DS origins.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Played a couple races against Jools! And I sucked!

A couple times I was able to get the lead in the first lap, but would always mess up. Gotta memorize these tracks.

The only thing I don't like is not having a config where I can use B to accelerate. My only other option is to accel/brake with the L and R buttons. Boo.

KevinCow

Banned
This game seems pretty okay. Except the part where the game glitched out on the final lap of the final race in a group of four and stopped recognizing when I crossed the finish line. That kinda sucked.

But other than that, pretty okay.

I like Renegade Kid. They're pretty good at making nice looking games on limited hardware, and they've proven able to make decent games in a variety of genres, including FPS, platformer, and racing.

I'd like to see Nintendo take them under their wing. I feel like with a bit of guidance, they could go from making decent games to making great games.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
They'll be announcing a 3DS eShop-exclusive FPS at PAX in two weeks, but it won't be tied to Dementium or Moon. Kinda excited for what it could be, part of me thinks it might be a bit "friendlier" than their other FPS's but some of the things Jools has said might contradict that... if I could remember them.

Anyways I'm #5 on the leaderboard! I don't expect to stay there for long since I suck, but it seems like you gain points even if you bomb out so, playing = higher ranking. Some loser named Ben (YEAH I'M CALLING YOU OUT!) DQed when I beat him though, it added that I had played another race in the rankings screen, but I don't know if it affected my rank...

NewFresh

I'm really looking forward to seeing what they will be showing of the FPS at PAX. I believe Jools said it would be a short atmospheric demo of sorts.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
There's 31 entries total in the worldwide leaderboard. =/

We need to beef that up big time! If you have the game, just play an online match to add yourself (I think.)

I'm really looking forward to seeing what they will be showing of the FPS at PAX. I believe Jools said it would be a short atmospheric demo of sorts.

Yeah, and since he used the term "atmospheric" I think it might be in the same vein as Dementium/Moon... but who knows. He's confirmed dual analog Circle Pad Pro controls at least, so hopefully it'll be out this year.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Can you do single events or is it just career/online MP?

In single player, there's World Tour (sets of four tracks and various modes), Freestyle (object is to get the most points by pulling off tricks), Time Trial, and Quick Race (which is what it says on the tin.) My first couple races were in Quick Race, setting it down to one lap, one course, one opponent, and easy difficulty so I could learn the ropes.

In addition to online there's also a local multiplayer option.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I must be missing something...I usually have an eye for 60 FPS and the only place I'm seeing that 60 is in the character select screen.

The visuals are definitely 30FPS during races. Anyone who says otherwise is parroting something they read somewhere, or just can't tell the difference.

EDIT: from the dev himself:

The gameplay and physics run at 60fps whereas the graphic display updates at 30fps.

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/01/0...the-first-racing-game-for-the-nintendo-eshop/

Hale-XF11

Sitting comfortably at the #2 spot. :)

Had some races with Jools and the person now sitting at #3 and it was pretty intense.

I do think more than 31 people have played the game, but getting online with a small community will require some twitter/forum communication. Tried online a couple hours ago and got nobody.

Good game, I'd say. Definitely not a shining example of 3DS graphics, but compared to the DS game, it is an upgrade for sure.

In single player, there's World Tour (sets of four tracks and various modes), Freestyle (object is to get the most points by pulling off tricks), Time Trial, and Quick Race (which is what it says on the tin.) My first couple races were in Quick Race, setting it down to one lap, one course, one opponent, and easy difficulty so I could learn the ropes.

In addition to online there's also a local multiplayer option.
Cool thanks.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Game is so fun but I suck so bad. >_< My stupid fingers always go for the long tricks and it bites me in the ass, or I ramp off at the wrong angle and fall into oblivion. Gotta get better.

*cue Rocky montage except lamer*

I just finished the second cup, or whatever.

Man, this game rocks.
It's ugly as sin, but it really doesn't matter when you're trying to pull off that long move, or trying to avoid that ass in the pink suit who keeps beating you. It feels like it was inspired by Wave Race. The trick system is neat, and it all works and runs nice.

The game is fun, and it makes me want to play it forever.

Good show, Renegade Kid.
Good show.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
POSITIVES
  • Easy to handle
  • Nice sense of Speed
  • Cool Tricks
  • Nice Variety of Tracks (Considering Price)
  • Smooth Online
  • Good Tracks
  • Nice Challenge
  • Overall Nice amount of content and unlockables.

NEGATIVES
  • Ugly-Average Visuals
  • Better Track Design (while most ate good there are a few one that will bother you)
  • Better OST or better yet Custom OST

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I'm really let down this isn't 60fps. =/

I just finished the second cup, or whatever.

Man, this game rocks.
It's ugly as sin, but it really doesn't matter when you're trying to pull off that long move, or trying to avoid that ass in the pink suit who keeps beating you. It feels like it was inspired by Wave Race. The trick system is neat, and it all works and runs nice.

The game is fun, and it makes me want to play it forever.

Good show, Renegade Kid.
Good show.

EWmof.gif

Any word on a Europe date?

It was supposed to come out at the same time, but the Euro ratings boards are dragging their heels. I'd imagine in the next two months.

ohNOitsRO

I'm really on the fence about buying this...

I'm not ALL THAT into racers, but I do enjoy them from time to time (I have MK7 on my system, which I bought) and I've seen the comparisons to wave race and.. I fucking loved waverace but I don't know how much replayability this would get out of me... The graphics don't help in convincing me, but the online and apparently sweet tricks system kinda is!

Why didn't you come with a demo ATV?!

Someone help sway my mind!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I'm really on the fence about buying this...

I'm not ALL THAT into racers, but I do enjoy them from time to time (I have MK7 on my system, which I bought) and I've seen the comparisons to wave race and.. I fucking loved waverace but I don't know how much replayability this would get out of me... The graphics don't help in convincing me, but the online and apparently sweet tricks system kinda is!

Why didn't you come with a demo ATV?!

Someone help sway my mind!

You know what you must do.
FuqnPhm.gif

Hale-XF11

Game is so fun but I suck so bad. >_< My stupid fingers always go for the long tricks and it bites me in the ass, or I ramp off at the wrong angle and fall into oblivion. Gotta get better.

*cue Rocky montage except lamer*

I was doing that constantly for the longest time, race after race after race, but now I finally chilled out and learned to actually use the brake and take my finger off the accelerator when necessary and it's paid off.

I think he was the reviewer at Wiiloveit, "SonicKnuckles8" right?

Yup! When I first went online, him and Jools were kicking my ass all over the place. I finally caught up to them.

Renegade Kid should make Waverace 3DS.

Yesss!

I don't like that you can't decelerate or steer in the air. You have very little control of your vehicle once you launch, and you end up hitting a wall, and bounce off of it like a bumper car, trying to get back on track. I guess if you know the course it's easier to set up your jump, I just wish you had a little more control of your ATV once you're in the air.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I don't like that you can't decelerate or steer in the air. You have very little control of your vehicle once you launch, and you end up hitting a wall, and bounce off of it like a bumper car, trying to get back on track. I guess if you know the course it's easier to set up your jump, I just wish you had a little more control of your ATV once you're in the air.

Agreed, it should copy MK in that area.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Hey, NTSC GAF, on a scale of 1 to 10, how many EXCITE is this puppy?

Top Bottom