• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ATV Wild Ride 3D (Renegade Kid / Nintendo 3DS eShop) Review Thread

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
It was planned to be a retail release but then UTVIgnition fell off and decided to release only digital from then on.

Ah, is that what happened? In any case, Ignition did basically fund development of it.

Jools stressed a lot at how the game was aimed "at kids," but making it eShop exclusive seems a bit... counter to that. I'm sure they didn't intend it to turn out that way, though.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
ITCrTsj.png

JOOLS IS IN AWW SNAP

Wait should we make him like the final boss or something since he's so good? :p

Yes I know it's pointless to pixelize myself but whatevs, DON'T JUDGE ME!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Getting much better. Can consistently come in first in the easy Tours and the majority of the medium Tours. Got all 10s in the first tour, moving on to do the rest. :D

I like the "Renegade Kid" racer's grunts and stuff. :p But I'll take the Canadian guy since I like blue better. The black and white ATV is my go-to, though. Really nice handling and goes pretty fast.

Getting much better. Can consistently come in first in the easy Tours and the majority of the medium Tours. Got all 10s in the first tour, moving on to do the rest. :D

I like the "Renegade Kid" racer's grunts and stuff. :p But I'll take the Canadian guy since I like blue better. The black and white ATV is my go-to, though. Really nice handling and goes pretty fast.
I've gotten 40/40 on everything save the last Extreme tour. 37/40 there.

:p

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Alrighty, so I want to put together a preliminary list of people for the tourney! If we get enough people I think I can swing something pretty cool (not from RK or Jools.) But we'll see.

See list here.

We need more people yo!

Seems like I still have catching up to do... Need to boost my rank too. :( I want to be on the first page at least. Second page is so drab.
I'm sorta confused as to how the ranking system works.

You should join Wiggler and I on the first page though!

Bomb Monkey/Jungle Buggy for life.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Beating higher rank players boosts your score more. I also think it might be weighted to how many players there are overall.

I'm definitely going to try! More people need to host games though.

Hale-XF11

I've gotten 40/40 on everything save the last Extreme tour. 37/40 there.

:p

Nice, you're well ahead of me there. The CPU riders kick my ass on Extreme when I'm playing by myself, but not so much online for some reason.

I'd play right now, but I gotta get some personal things done today before I get online again.

Whelp, just beat the extreme world tour and unlocked the last rider and ATV. My knuckles are white from that last elimination race. Dude was on me the entire time until the end.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
CYWqEFL.png

challenge.jpg

IMG_20130311_212214.jpg

IMG_20130311_212312.jpg

From #16 to #4, not bad I think. :) I'm just glad I'm on the first page. :D

I think he threw the last one... we were actually neck and neck for the first lap, and he wasn't too far in front in the second. Then in the third I passed him where he was just staring at a wall. I was scared I DQ'd or something but after I passed him he started moving again. Edit- He was "distracted by RL." A likely story...

BTW- there are 68 players on the leaderboard, and from the podcast Mpl90 linked in the Nintendo Downloads thread, the very last one ("NO_Tony") is apparently one of the Nintendo Okie guys (one of the first reviews I added to the OP.) Side note, as one word, their website is Nintendookie. Wonder if that was intentional.

I guess you could add me to the listing (0-Watt on the game). I suck but whatevs XD

BTW- there are 68 players on the leaderboard, and from the podcast Mpl90 linked in the Nintendo Downloads thread, the very last one ("NO_Tony") is apparently one of the Nintendo Okie guys (one of the first reviews I added to the OP.) Side note, as one word, their website is Nintendookie. Wonder if that was intentional.

Actually, now there's 73. Growing steadily, I see.

Got in two matches before my Internet went blah. Sorry Evl-0 D:

Asimov

Banned
So... I'm playing right now (I just bought it).

What's the point of the tricks? You don't get any boost.

D:

EDIT: Nevermind. I'm dumb. Tricks fill the boost meter.

Asimov

Banned
Don't get me wrong... I'm enjoying the game, but not as much as Mutant Mudds or Dementium.

Mutant Mudds became one of my favorites games of all time since the day I finished it. The graphics, music (dat soundtrack), gameplay, 3D effect, game design... everything feels so right.

Renegade Kid has tried too many genres, but in my humble opinion, 2D platformer games are what they do better and they should take advantage of it.

Still, they have and will always have all my support.

Don't get me wrong... I'm enjoying the game, but not as much as Mutant Mudds or Dementium.

Mutant Mudds became one of my favorites games of all time since the day I finished it. The graphics, music (dat soundtrack), gameplay, 3D effect, game design... everything feels so right.

Renegade Kid has tried too many genres, but in my humble opinion, 2D platformer games are what they do better and they should take advantage of it.

I feel that Renegade Kid has only really failed at the RPG genre, and I can partly blame that on the publisher cutting the budget in half. I do feel they excel at platformers and FPSs, though.

Considering the size of their dev teams (ATV Wild Ride was 4 people), I think RK would do something really awesome if they had the funding and support of another developer/publisher and given the chance to go all out. Even at a smaller scale, their games range from decent to pretty damn great.

I wonder if they'll ever make a 3D platformer in the future.

Also... do you guys get a N64 vibe from this game?

The textures, fog, etc... feels very N64-ishy.

It feels N64-y because of the modeling and some texture work, but the framerate is superior to N64 games. Best way to describe the game graphically is either N64++ or something like in-between DS and 3DS.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Also... do you guys get a N64 vibe from this game?

The textures, fog, etc... feels very N64-ishy.

Multiple reviews have mentioned that, yes. As well as comparisons to Excite Bike 64. :)

edit: and oh snap, what's this, I done got bumped by Andrex

I laughed hard when I saw that I had. :p

Nah, there's a lot that they can improve even with Mutant Mudds. One of my major complaints about it (amount of content) they're slowly fixing over time (Deluxe will have 60 levels I think? Finally a good amount.)

RK is the definition of a studio that often reaches outside its grasp, in my opinion. If a publisher would give them the time of day I know they could make games as big and well-made as Next Level or so.

As for this game specifically, it was originally a (very well made) budget DS release, but all things considered, it's still a fairly ambitious game for the eShop.

Nekki

Mutant Mudds was awesome. I never played Dementium 2, but I loved The Ward. I'm eagerly awaiting for a new FPS from them. Of course more platforming fun would never be turned down!

Hale-XF11

I laughed hard when I saw that I had. :p

ahaha, I bet you did! This tournament will be fun seeing as how everyone's been stepping up their game. Whenever I can pry my hands off Nano Assault, I'll have to get back to ATV and get some practice in.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
ahaha, I bet you did! This tournament will be fun seeing as how everyone's been stepping up their game. Whenever I can pry my hands off Nano Assault, I'll have to get back to ATV and get some practice in.

I think you'll still probably beat me, but I'm gonna put up a fight for sure!

Got 40/40 on the first three tours, halfway through getting perfect on the fourth.
75bs7Dh.gif

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I hope this is released soon in Europe. I know it's Q2 slated, but I hope it comes as soon as possible.

By the way,do leaderboards represent the people who played online matches at least once or just everyone who played he game with the 3DS connected to the web?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I hope this is released soon in Europe. I know it's Q2 slated, but I hope it comes as soon as possible.

By the way,do leaderboards represent the people who played online matches at least once or just everyone who played he game with the 3DS connected to the web?

I believe you have to play at least one game. I haven't seen anybody in the leaderboard with zero games played.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
You mean one game in general i.e. one game in any mode, even in solo? Obviously, with your 3DS still connected otherwise how it could enter leaderboards XD

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
No, a game online. Based on some of the messaging when visiting the leaderboard after an online race, it seems to only write to the leaderboard after a race has ended or you visit the leaderboard.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Still getting it all together, but it's looking like it will start this Friday. I think you'll be given a day to coordinate your matches.

Asimov

Banned
Still getting it all together, but it's looking like it will start this Friday. I think you'll be given a day to coordinate your matches.

Cool beans. I have time to practice.

The winner should get some eShop code or something. Tweet Jools... the winner could get a code for Mutant Mudds Deluxe.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Nah that would be a bit viral markety.

I do have a good prize in mind but only if we get enough people to participate.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Bah, Wiggler just HAD to surpass me and bump me to #6... grumble grumble...

Leaderboard is up to 79 total players now! :)

But we need more tourney people, people! Enter or face my wrath!
LLShC.gif

NateDrake

Bah, Wiggler just HAD to surpass me and bump me to #6... grumble grumble...

Leaderboard is up to 79 total players now! :)

But we need more tourney people, people! Enter or face my wrath!
LLShC.gif

Depends the day and time. I got the game last week, but haven't spent much time with it yet. Hoping to get some online time in later this week.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Depends the day and time. I got the game last week, but haven't spent much time with it yet. Hoping to get some online time in later this week.

Will start this Saturday, and you'll have a day to coordinate each round of matches with your opponent.

I'm loving this game.
I can't stop playing it, dammit!

Enter the tourney damnit!!

Top Bottom