• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ATV Wild Ride 3D (Renegade Kid / Nintendo 3DS eShop) Review Thread

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Mileena and PaulExcellent are in.
75bs7Dh.gif

wondermega

Finally got a chance to play this game...
Definitely worth 8 bucks, and I appreciate the work their small team put into this game, although it really isn't as good as I was hoping.

Getting right to the point, my biggest beef is with the controls, there's something off about them which keeps me from really connecting with this game. Maybe I just need to spend more timer practicing, but I feel like dozens of similar games have got it right for years now. The worst part is that fluidity of control seems to bring with it too much exaggeration here,i often find that my rider is easy over steering compared to how I expect he would react. Numerous times I'll find taking a big turning jump, only to get stuck facing they wrong way or out of bounds. Again, it may just take some practice but it's aggravating when you just don't want to agree with the fundamental setup of a game's controls.

Aesthetically, as many have said the game looks fairly old school, and I suppose that's a sacrifice for online and fps. It doesn't bother me too much, and for an $8 game it looks acceptable but I wouldn't mind paying a bit more money for a better looking experience. If purchasing this game is supportive to the dev in encouraging a more enhanced game down the road, then I am happy to help :)

3D wise,I was hoping to be more impressed, but I think this issue is on my end or some deeper tech or something. I haven't really seen a great racing game where the 3D had considerable oomph (I often don't notice it during gameplay), I must note that this same dev did a wonderful job with the effect in mutant mudds however. Whatever worked in Star Fox,I wish other devs could learn from.

Overall, this game is a decent effort and I don't regret the purchase, I will play with it some more. Although I was definitely let down by the hype, I'm interested to see what more could be iterated upon here.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Finally got a chance to play this game...
Definitely worth 8 bucks, and I appreciate the work their small team put into this game, although it really isn't as good as I was hoping.

Getting right to the point, my biggest beef is with the controls, there's something off about them which keeps me from really connecting with this game. Maybe I just need to spend more timer practicing, but I feel like dozens of similar games have got it right for years now. The worst part is that fluidity of control seems to bring with it too much exaggeration here,i often find that my rider is easy over steering compared to how I expect he would react. Numerous times I'll find taking a big turning jump, only to get stuck facing they wrong way or out of bounds. Again, it may just take some practice but it's aggravating when you just don't want to agree with the fundamental setup of a game's controls.

I felt the same way at first. I still kinda feel like that. But in a game like this, there's a difference between bad controls and a steep learning curve. I believe Wild Ride has the latter. As an example, I never, ever adjusted to Excite Truck's controls and thought that game was hot garbage until I saw some love on it over the internet. I still can't play the game, but it's obvious I let my frustration get the better of me.

The key to Wild Ride is track memorization, especially in approaching ramps and drop-offs. If you approach a ramp a wrong way, you'll either fly into oblivion or slam into a wall, neither of which are optimal obviously. Approaching drop-offs/downslopes is also very important since you lose control when you're in the air. If you don't plan for a drop-off, it could end very badly.

The controls themselves are fine I think, it's just the track designs exhibit a lot of beginner's traps.

Aesthetically, as many have said the game looks fairly old school, and I suppose that's a sacrifice for online and fps. It doesn't bother me too much, and for an $8 game it looks acceptable but I wouldn't mind paying a bit more money for a better looking experience. If purchasing this game is supportive to the dev in encouraging a more enhanced game down the road, then I am happy to help :)

3D wise,I was hoping to be more impressed, but I think this issue is on my end or some deeper tech or something. I haven't really seen a great racing game where the 3D had considerable oomph (I often don't notice it during gameplay), I must note that this same dev did a wonderful job with the effect in mutant mudds however. Whatever worked in Star Fox,I wish other devs could learn from.

Overall, this game is a decent effort and I don't regret the purchase, I will play with it some more. Although I was definitely let down by the hype, I'm interested to see what more could be iterated upon here.

Glad you don't regret it at least. :p Can I put you down for the tourney?

I might buy this... How does 60FPS feel on a handheld?

I should update the OP, it's not 60fps. =/ It's 30fps but the simulations and everything behind the scenes works at 60fps.

usmanusb

I think for the content and the update for the DS port, it is worth buying game @ 8$

It will be great if other DS games can also be release in a same way such as Dementium: The Ward. i will definitely buy it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
An up-res'd Dementium would definitely be worth $8 to me.

PS- There are 86 players on the leaderboard now.

wondermega

thanks for addressing my comments. I've actually worked on a dev team of a similar title in this genre so it's something that is close to me.. like I said, I have a high standard to compare this type of game to, and where those games are extremely old in all regards (looks, play control, etc) it is very difficult not to consider them in every regard with new games that come out.. so many years later (12 years later!). But of course I do consider all the elements in that regard (price, size of the team, engine etc) when a game like this comes out. And ultimately, like I said, it boils down to this.... is it fun, does it feel right? For me, even considering the game I worked on, no motocross game will ever feel better than the PS2 dualstick experience for Offroad Fury. This is not to say that it cannot be duplicated, or even surpassed. It is definitely a level of perfection of control (from my POV) that each game in the genre will have to measure up against, however. I am sure the devs are aware of this and have compared their game to that, and like I said- I look forward to seeing what comes next.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Game is fun but it doesn't seem like there's a lot of content. Only 6 tours?

Six tours of four races each; Freestyle, Time Trial, and Quick Race modes; local and multiplayer with leaderboards. I'd say that's a good amount of content for $8.

Edit- According to my Activity Log I've already put 7 hours and 39 minutes into it, just trying to get 40/40 on each tour and playing some online. That's basically a penny per second of playtime. :p

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
IMG_20130314_195926.jpg

Lol, I don't know how losing to you three times in a row puts me ahead of you in the leaderboards Wiggler...

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
91 players on the leaderboard now.

Got bumped to #8. :( Still on the first page at least.

So I raced 'Roland' the other day. I was way out in front of him, but it still said I was second place.

I think he may have found some exploit, because he's #2 on the leaderboards. If he hosts a match and it pairs you up with him, drop that shit.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
So I raced 'Roland' the other day. I was way out in front of him, but it still said I was second place.

I think he may have found some exploit, because he's #2 on the leaderboards. If he hosts a match and it pairs you up with him, drop that shit.

Hmm, are you absolutely sure?

I don't get... does it mean that only 91 persons have played the game?

D:

91 people have played at least one race online, yes. It doesn't say how many people have downloaded it though. Hopefully that number's much higher. :/

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Leaderboards are up to 123 total racers.

I got bumped to #12. :( Time to try and claw my way back to the first page!

Also, for anyone going to PAX East, tomorrow through Sunday Renegade Kid will be holding ATV Wild Ride 3D tournies at their first-ever gaming booth.

BF59NijCMAA23l5.jpg:large

They will also have a demo for their new, currently unannounced (until 8.5 hours from now) first-person shooter for the Nintendo 3DS eShop.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
A year later, this game is still fun as hell. Tricks and stuff are awesome. Tracks are well designed and the CPU's are competitive without being cheap.

332 total entries in the leaderboard. =/

Top Bottom