• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Audiophile quality PC speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitewulf

alright guys, no components below $1,000....

kidding!

but please, create another thread for budget gear...please. this thread isnt meant for $50/pr speakers and $100 dacs.

kevm3

So what is everyone's setup so far?

Mine as is:
Dali Mentor 2
Rythmik F12G subwoofer
Kora Hermes DAC
Plinius SA-100
Endler's Attenuators

mainly using a PC as a source via a RCA Hiface USB to SPDIF converter.

I'm done with my set-up for a while, unless it's changing out power cords, of which Analysis Plus is my favorite for the current set-up. Next year I may upgrade my speakers.

Mohonky

thesoapster said:
Back to back comparison done between my two amplifiers (Yamaha A-S700 and Vincent SV-236MK) showed me that the Vincent produced a crisper, cleaner, clearer sound. Tested the same sets of songs on each at the same volume.

You have a Vincent SV236MK? Mate, incredible amp, you have exquisite taste. I wish I had a 2 channel so I had an excuse to buy one of those. Am thinking though I might look into some monoblock's for my HT setup.

I tested customers on this today to show the benefit of a good stereo amp over a standard Marantz two channel (it was a lower end model) and even the customers could pick the difference easily, it's a completely chalk and cheese difference between the two.

The Vincent sounded far more open, crisper and cleaner with more detail.

I'm not sure where the idea of amps being the same came from, but as I'm usually playing the same content over different amps day in day out I can always pick the difference and customers who tell you they 'probably wouldn't notice anyway' always pick it up as well.

Couldn't give the technological reasoning behind it but there is definitely a substantial difference in amps from my own personal experience.

nitewulf

Mohonky said:
You have a Vincent SV236MK? Mate, incredible amp, you have exquisite taste. I wish I had a 2 channel so I had an excuse to buy one of those. Am thinking though I might look into some monoblock's for my HT setup.

I tested customers on this today to show the benefit of a good stereo amp over a standard Marantz two channel (it was a lower end model) and even the customers could pick the difference easily, it's a completely chalk and cheese difference between the two.

I'm not sure where the idea of amps being the same came from, but as I'm usually playing the same content over different amps day in day out I can always pick the difference and customers who tell you they 'probably wouldn't notice anyway' always pick it up as well.

Couldn't give the technological reasoning behind it but there is definitely a substantial difference in amps from my own personal experience.

because different circuit topologies treat the signals differently. Class A, Class A/B, Class D....Zero negative feedback, tubed negative feedback, MOSFET negative feedback. these things affect the pace, speed, rythm, transparency etc. even the power supply matters, whether tube rectified, or diode/transistor based, transformer type/size, with output transformer, or without, etc...there are no best designs IMO, just what you prefer.

and if you're serious about music, it's best to go with a 2 channel setup which allows passive HT pass through...or have a dedicated 2 channel listening setup, like myself. for music, stereo will always trump multichannel processors/receivers/amps.

My system is as follows

B&W CM5 speakers
Rotel RC 1580 pre-amp
Rotel RB 1552 power amp
Marantz KI Pearl SACD/CD/DAC
Project Xpression III turntable with Ortofon 2M blue cart and speedbox
Logitech Squeeze box touch (connected to KI pearl)

nitewulf

Dynaudio Focus 140 Stand mount speakers
Peachtree Audio Decco USB/DAC/Preamp
McIntosh MC252 power amp
Origin Live! Aurora MK2 turntable with modified Rega RB250 tonearm and Denon DL-103R MC cartridge (the Denon is a flaming bargain at its pricepoint! so open! so good!)
Eastern Electric Minimax phonostage
I use New Old Stock Tung Sol 5751 vacuum tubes on the EE Minimax left/right output stage, and a vintage Amperex 12AX7 on the amplifier stage.
I use a vintage Amperex 7308 tube on the Decco output stage.
Self made DIY silver interconnects between the preamp and power amp.
DIY power cords on phonostage, preamp and power amp.

kevm3

Nice seeing how everyone's setup is progressing through out time. What are any upcoming upgrades?

At the moment, I just need to change out a few power cords to analysis plus. They provide the warmth that complements Dali Speakers quite nicely.

KHarvey16

So the power travels over miles and miles of standard cabling, through your house with standard cabling, only to be met with 3 feet of expensive cable meant to do...something, I guess.

kevm3

Now these are some beautiful speakers:
Sonus Faber Amati
Homage_-_Amati_Anniversario_velika.jpg

Dali Helicon line
z5425748X.jpg

I think I'm just a speaker junky. Too bad this thread doesn't move nearly as much as the headphones thread.

kevm3

KHarvey16 said:
So the power travels over miles and miles of standard cabling, through your house with standard cabling, only to be met with 3 feet of expensive cable meant to do...something, I guess.

We've had this argument about amps, interconnects, power cords, etc several times in this thread. We can kick theories on why they sound different or don't all day long. The easiest solution is to get direct experience and try them out yourself and there are several inexpensive options out there.

KHarvey16

kevm3 said:
We've had this argument about amps, interconnects, power cords, etc several times in this thread. We can kick theories on why they sound different or don't all day long. The easiest solution is to get direct experience and try them out yourself and there are several inexpensive options out there.

It physically makes absolutely no sense at all. It simply cannot improve the sound(provided the amplifier actually works) and any perception that it does is entirely imagined. Any company in the world that wanted to prove there was a perceptible difference could do so yet they all refuse.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Mohonky said:

Where do you work, Mohonky? I work at a Hi-Fi store and it'd be nice to hear about a fellow audiophile retail brother.

Feel free to PM me the details.

Anyhoo, me set-up:

Pre-amp: Manley Labs Neo-Classic 300B (doubles as a headphone amp)
Poweramp: Densen B-150 (it's an integrated amp but I can use it as a poweramp)
Turntable: Thorens TD-850 w/Rega RB300 tonearm
Cartridge: Ortofon A90 moving coil
Phonostage: Thorens TEP-302
CD Player: Densen B-400XS
Speakers: Focal Electra 1007BE
Headphones Sennheiser HD-800 recabled w/Cardas cable, Sennheiser HD650 recabled w/ALO cable, JVC/Victor HP-DX1000
Interconnects: Chord Co. Signature Plus x2, Atlas Mavros, Nordost SPM
Speaker cable: Chord Co. Epic

I plan to sell my speakers in the next week or two and use the funds to buy a much smaller pair of speakers because my room is absolutely tiny.

kevm3

What speakers are you looking at to replace the focals?

I am considering helicons, but also a rather unknown set of speakers called star sound caravelles. The latter depends on if I can find them with the better looking stands, since they have pairs with atrocious looking ones.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Thinking about the Spendor SA1. They're tiny but from what I've read they are PERFECT for tiny rooms like mine.

SA1.jpg

At first I thought they might end up being a step-down from my Focals but reviews peg them as reference speakers in a tiny box.

kevm3

Witchfinder General said:
Thinking about the Spendor SA1. They're tiny but from what I've read they are PERFECT for tiny rooms like mine.

SA1.jpg

At first I thought they might end up being a step-down from my Focals but reviews peg them as reference speakers in a tiny box.

They may very well end up sounding better than the Focals in the small room. I'm looking at reviews of it now and they seem to be very positive. With the stands, they have a very attractive look as well.

splendor-sa1_48.jpg

This audio game can be funny. It took me a while, but I'm finally starting to get the sound I really want out of my set-up, and being that I'm very picky, is making me hesitant to even upgrade speakers. I like increased resolution and other audiophile traits, but getting the tonal balance that is satisfying to my ears is the tough part and can make $300 speakers sound better than $1,000 if the more expensive speaker is too bright or I think speakers can even become too detailed and thus distracting. I think I'll take the new speaker plunge next year just to see what another high end brand offers though.

Winged Creature said:
How old are the speakers? I believe that shielding is only prevalent in newer speakers.

Couple of years. They sound great but I believe they were discontinued 2 years back. Couldn't tell you the exact year. I'm kind of considering opening them up and putting shielding in, but I actually just got them on sale and I could still return them if I thought I could get something else in the same range of quality for a similar price.

nitewulf

kevm3 said:
I think I'm just a speaker junky. Too bad this thread doesn't move nearly as much as the headphones thread.
good speakers are far more expensive...ppl can buy headphones and experiment at a far more frequent rate. i am as much a speaker junky as one can get, but you have to also be realistic about things...

i listened to sonus faber amati anniversarios while buying my amplifier. they sound excellent, probably my second favorites to dynaudios.

nitewulf

have you ever heard Living Voice speakers? in general British speakers intrigue me a lot...

http://www.livingvoice.co.uk/products-auditorium-speakers.html

for your room, you may want to check out Devore speakers if possible, they are locally made in Brooklyn, and have a fantastic reputation for being paired with tube electronics, specially Shindo and Leben:

http://www.devorefidelity.com/gibbons.html

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
nitewulf said:
have you ever heard Living Voice speakers? in general British speakers intrigue me a lot...

http://www.livingvoice.co.uk/products-auditorium-speakers.html

for your room, you may want to check out Devore speakers if possible, they are locally made in Brooklyn, and have a fantastic reputation for being paired with tube electronics, specially Shindo and Leben:

http://www.devorefidelity.com/gibbons.html

Yeah, I know of both brands but as neither have distribution in Australia (like so many hi-fi companies, sigh) the issue is moot.

Alucrid

Banned
So I'm planning on getting a 'good' speaker system within the next six months or so. I've already decided on a Rythmik F12 thanks to kevm3 for a sub, but now I'm looking for suggestions for monitors and an amp. Probably around 1600-1800 for both. I'm not really knowledgeable in speakers or speaker brands and was wondering what companies I should be looking at to start researching.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Alucrid said:
So I'm planning on getting a 'good' speaker system within the next six months or so. I've already decided on a Rythmik F12 thanks to kevm3 for a sub, but now I'm looking for suggestions for monitors and an amp. Probably around 1600-1800 for both. I'm not really knowledgeable in speakers or speaker brands and was wondering what companies I should be looking at to start researching.

Speaker brands:

Focal
Monitor Audio
Dynaudio
Paradigm
ProAc
Spendor

Amp brands:

Densen
Manley Labs
Plinius
Rega
Cambridge Audio
NAD
Rotel
Arcam
Denon
Yamaha

Alucrid

Banned
Speaker brands:

Focal
Monitor Audio
Dynaudio
Paradigm
ProAc
Spendor

Amp brands:

Densen
Manley Labs
Plinius
Rega
Cambridge Audio
NAD
Rotel
Arcam
Denon
Yamaha

This is great, thanks for the list. Going to go check 'em out now.

Martin Logan. They are known for their ultra high end electrostatic speakers, but in the last year introduced a budget concious series under the Motion monicker. They are pretty fantastic sounding monitors, but I think some might not like their look. The smallest, cheapest pair are the Motion 2's which run about 400 a pair, but they pack a wallop.

6619_motion2large.jpg

The motion 2's would be best as satellites or pc speakers, but they are quite capable for their size. You need to hear them. Most people seem to buy monitors that are too big for the space they have anyway. If you are putting them in a room 15x15 or smaller they are more than adequite. I've got Motion 4's (which aren't much bigger than the 2's) and a motion 8 hooked up to a 50 watt per channel Marrantz receriver, and the sound is crisp, deep and clear, no sub woofer required.

kevm3

The key question before I start making recommendations is what kind of music you are into and what is your preferred sound quality? Do you like the singers up front and a more intimate sort of presentation with vocals, do you like fast and dynamic, relaxed and laid back, etc. Give us some of your favorite genres and what your overall sound tastes are .

If you can audition speakers, that'd be key, but if you are in a place with no huge dealers with several different speaker brands, we'll have to give you a recommendation based upon your stated sound qualities.

One of the largest mistakes a person in audio can make is pair expensive equipment together without consideration for the sound qualities and ability to pair. An inexpensive system can sound way better than an expensive one with the correct synergies and accommodations to sound quality.

Anyone own the Yamaha HS50m speakers? Thinking of getting a pair.

Mostly listen to classic rock (Led Zep, Cream, Steely Dan, etc), indie (Animal Collective, Iron & Wine, Postal Service, Neutral Milk Hotel,etc) and some electronica (Ratatat, Dan Deacon, etc).

Trying to help a friend get some decent speakers, does anyone know anything about the KEF iQ70's? They're really cheap on Amazon (and pretty much everywhere else) since they've apparently been replaced by a newer line. All of the reviews I've found (which hasn't been many) haven't been glowing, but they used to cost twice as much too.

Any other suggestions are appreciated too, I mention these because they seem to be cheap right now and the guy buying them is adverse to any dealing on craigslist/ audiogon/ etc, he wants to buy from either Amazon or from a physical store.

I wonder if the thread would move any faster if a new one was made that was just a "Home Audio OT" sort of thing? Probably not, I doubt there's too many people interested on GAF, but at this point PC speakers isn't the thread's only topic of discussion.

nitewulf

KEF's higher end speakers are very well reviewed. What is your friend's budget, room size, musical inclination....and what will he drive them with?

these are VERY decent for the price:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001QT5ZBI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I set up my father's HT with PSB speakers, the Image line is replaced so retailers were selling them off at ridiculous discounts (still are). I analyzed them head to head against my Dyanudios, and very respectful sound. I was amazed.

kevm3 said:
Does he need floorstanders and is this for musical reproduction or home theater?
Both, but definitely more music than movies.

He definitely does not need floorstanders. He decided he wants to get some nice speakers and immediately went for this Bose system. Pretty much the typical story of a person who buys Bose, listened to them at the demo kiosk at Best Buy, blown away how much better they sound than his TV and computer speakers, glances over at the Magnolia section and thinks some combination of "That's stuff's too expensive/ complicated to set up/ doesn't look as nice."

I took him to a home theater store nearby and we demoed some Paradigm and B&W speakers, and he agreed that they sound good, but he still thinks that the Bose is the way to go just because the speakers are tiny and everything comes in one box and is easy to set up.

I convinced him to let me try and find a decent stereo system for the same amount (about $1000) and set it up for him. My first thought was to Google Amazon for the Energy RC 10 speakers that came up in this thread before, but apparently stock of those finally dried up. I was think about the CB 20s (I realize they're not as nice but the reviews I've read still make them seem like pretty good bang for the buck), and as I was clicking around Amazon I saw that those KEF speakers are basically in the same position as the Energy RC line was a few months ago, priced way, way lower than MSRP to make way for a new line.

So no, he doesn't need floorstanders, and actually for him he's going to be happier the smaller the speakers are (those Martin Logan Motion speakers look pretty awesome right now for that reason, I'm trying to read up more on those). But if those KEF speakers are a really outrageous value, I could probably convince him that he shouldn't pass up the deal.

If those aren't great though, right now I'm probably going to suggest a pair of CB 20's and an Onkyo stereo receiver and give him a link to the smallest HSU sub and tell him to grab one of those later on if he wants more bass.

I'd like to find him something really nice like those PSB speakers, but like I said, he wants to buy from something like Amazon or Best Buy, I know he would be sketched out by the fact that the only seller for those speakers has less than 200 feedback ratings. Like I said, he wanted to walk into Best Buy and get a Bose system, he wants something super easy, no used stuff or Craigslist/ eBay type auction sites.

I appreciate the suggestions though, and if there's anything on like Vann's or whatever that's an awesome deal I'd be interested to hear, but realistically I'm going to want to find just the best set of bookshelf speakers plus amp sold by Amazon or Best Buy.

Alucrid

Banned
kevm3 said:
The key question before I start making recommendations is what kind of music you are into and what is your preferred sound quality? Do you like the singers up front and a more intimate sort of presentation with vocals, do you like fast and dynamic, relaxed and laid back, etc. Give us some of your favorite genres and what your overall sound tastes are .

If you can audition speakers, that'd be key, but if you are in a place with no huge dealers with several different speaker brands, we'll have to give you a recommendation based upon your stated sound qualities.

One of the largest mistakes a person in audio can make is pair expensive equipment together without consideration for the sound qualities and ability to pair. An inexpensive system can sound way better than an expensive one with the correct synergies and accommodations to sound quality.

Good point. I listen to a lot of music. Quite a bit of electronic (house, dubstep, etc.), sythpop, pop (not like Lady Gaga, etc.), chill-wave, lo-fi (ironic, eh?), funk, jazz, classical, rock, etc. I suppose if I had to describe how I'd like my speakers to sound it would probably be fast and dynamic. I did some research and found a few places near me (Philly) that carry some of the speaker brands listed here. Mainly Dynaudio, Paradigm and I think PSB. As for the entirety of my system, it would probably be...

Code:
DACMagic          ->             -> Rythmik F12
                         USP-1 
Project Debut III ->             -> Amp -> Speakers

And just a few songs I've listened to recently.

Bibio
CFCF
Jacques Greene

kevm3

Alucrid said:
Good point. I listen to a lot of music. Quite a bit of electronic (house, dubstep, etc.), sythpop, pop (not like Lady Gaga, etc.), chill-wave, lo-fi (ironic, eh?), funk, jazz, classical, rock, etc. I suppose if I had to describe how I'd like my speakers to sound it would probably be fast and dynamic. I did some research and found a few places near me (Philly) that carry some of the speaker brands listed here. Mainly Dynaudio, Paradigm and I think PSB. As for the entirety of my system, it would probably be...

Code:
DACMagic          ->             -> Rythmik F12
                         USP-1 
Project Debut III ->             -> Amp -> Speakers

And just a few songs I've listened to recently.

Bibio
CFCF
Jacques Greene

Fast, dynamic and efficient, with a focus on detail and clarity. They are light and airy. That's how I would definitely describe the pair of Dali Mentor speakers I own. I assume that is true with much of the line, although the helicons said to be warmer than the mentors. With the Dali line, they don't require mega power amps, but they need warm sounding equipment or things can get a bit bright.

http://www.scowcroftandassociates.com/pdfs/Robert Harley DALI Mentor Review.pdf

http://www.kedcorp.com.au/content/upload/files/images/MENTOR_2_WHAT_HIFI_UK_December_2006-.jpg

I would definitely go and check the dealer and listen to a few pairs so you can get an idea of what direction you want to head in with sound. When starting off with high quality monitors, I would say to buy used unless you find something at the dealers that completely blows you away and they can offer you a great price. I bought used, as you can usually get something that retains much of it's value. Once you hit the dealer and recognize a speaker that is more to your liking, I'll help you find something in your price range, which I assume is in the $1000 area. How soon are you looking to upgrade? I may eventually sell my speakers if my 'end game' speakers become available for a reasonable price again.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
In regards to someone wanting a cheap pair of solid quality speakers at a great price. This guy is selling his Dali Ikon 2's. They are a step down from teh M They are a steal at $300. Wow... The MSRP is $1,000, but they can be found new for around $750. Not sure what the shipping most would be since he is shipping from Canada.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrmoni&1302210228&/Dali-Ikon-2

Another speaker that gets rave reviews for a very reasonable price are these Ascend Acoustics Sierra 1's this guy is selling for $450:

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrmoni&1303331488&/Ascend-Acoustics-Sierra-1-

The one downside about the Ikon's is some say the treble can be harsh and forward, but others love them for their detail and speed. Here is a review of them:
http://www.avguide.com/review/dali-ikon-loudspeaker-system

kevm3

dr3upmushroom said:
Both, but definitely more music than movies.

He definitely does not need floorstanders. He decided he wants to get some nice speakers and immediately went for this Bose system. Pretty much the typical story of a person who buys Bose, listened to them at the demo kiosk at Best Buy, blown away how much better they sound than his TV and computer speakers, glances over at the Magnolia section and thinks some combination of "That's stuff's too expensive/ complicated to set up/ doesn't look as nice."

I took him to a home theater store nearby and we demoed some Paradigm and B&W speakers, and he agreed that they sound good, but he still thinks that the Bose is the way to go just because the speakers are tiny and everything comes in one box and is easy to set up.

I convinced him to let me try and find a decent stereo system for the same amount (about $1000) and set it up for him. My first thought was to Google Amazon for the Energy RC 10 speakers that came up in this thread before, but apparently stock of those finally dried up. I was think about the CB 20s (I realize they're not as nice but the reviews I've read still make them seem like pretty good bang for the buck), and as I was clicking around Amazon I saw that those KEF speakers are basically in the same position as the Energy RC line was a few months ago, priced way, way lower than MSRP to make way for a new line.

So no, he doesn't need floorstanders, and actually for him he's going to be happier the smaller the speakers are (those Martin Logan Motion speakers look pretty awesome right now for that reason, I'm trying to read up more on those). But if those KEF speakers are a really outrageous value, I could probably convince him that he shouldn't pass up the deal.

If those aren't great though, right now I'm probably going to suggest a pair of CB 20's and an Onkyo stereo receiver and give him a link to the smallest HSU sub and tell him to grab one of those later on if he wants more bass.

I'd like to find him something really nice like those PSB speakers, but like I said, he wants to buy from something like Amazon or Best Buy, I know he would be sketched out by the fact that the only seller for those speakers has less than 200 feedback ratings. Like I said, he wanted to walk into Best Buy and get a Bose system, he wants something super easy, no used stuff or Craigslist/ eBay type auction sites.

I appreciate the suggestions though, and if there's anything on like Vann's or whatever that's an awesome deal I'd be interested to hear, but realistically I'm going to want to find just the best set of bookshelf speakers plus amp sold by Amazon or Best Buy.

Before I can recommend a receiver, does he need 5 channel or is 2 channel fine? Does he need digital inputs, and if so, which kind (HDMI, Optical, etc.).

I saw you bring up the Energy RC10. Bizarrely enough, these black Energy RC30's are discounted and will end up cheaper for a pair of RC10's (which are selling for around $450). I believe they are selling each speaker separately, so you can get a pair of black RC30's for $400.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001BY8WOA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

RC50's are selling for $275 a speaker, which would be about $550 for the pair plus shipping.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001BYGSJQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

kevm3 said:
Before I can recommend a receiver, does he need 5 channel or is 2 channel fine? Does he need digital inputs, and if so, which kind (HDMI, Optical, etc.).

I saw you bring up the Energy RC10. Bizarrely enough, these black Energy RC30's are discounted and will end up cheaper for a pair of RC10's (which are selling for around $450). I believe they are selling each speaker separately, so you can get a pair of black RC30's for $400.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001BY8WOA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

RC50's are selling for $275 a speaker, which would be about $550 for the pair plus shipping.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001BYGSJQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Stereo is definitely fine. Digital inputs would nice, not necessarily absolutely needed though.

I'm unclear as to the differences between tower and bookshelf speakers. I'm guessing the RC30s have a better driver, but the CB20s have a bigger driver, so I'm guessing they'd have better bass but less detail? What benefit is the second driver? Does it just make the speaker louder, or is there more to it? Like if you compared the RC10s and 30s, would the 30s sound noticeably different in any way or just get louder?

That seems like a really nice deal for those, unless they sell out quick (Since the RC10s seem much harder to find than they were a few months ago, I'm not sure if the whole line is close to out of stock) I'll probably try and get him to get those.

Only thing that worries me is the fact that they're tower speakers, I know even with something like the CB20s he's going to freak out when he sees how big they are, he liked how tiny the Bose speakers are. On the off-chance that I can't convince him that these are an awesome deal and that it'll be worth it to deal with the size, are the CB20s a good choice as far as bookshelf speakers go?

I'm sure that the RC50s are a steal at that price, but the room the speakers are going in isn't huge, probably like 12x12 (isn't a square room, but I'd guess the area is about that or just a bit more) and I would guess that those would be overkill.

I'd actually really like to pick up a pair of the 50s myself, that seems like an insane deal, but I'm in a college dorm now and after this semester I'll be moving into a mid-sized apartment so they'd go in like a 10x10 or so room and I'd guess it'd be the same thing, way too much speaker for way too small a room.

kevm3

dr3upmushroom said:
Stereo is definitely fine. Digital inputs would nice, not necessarily absolutely needed though.

I'm unclear as to the differences between tower and bookshelf speakers. I'm guessing the RC30s have a better driver, but the CB20s have a bigger driver, so I'm guessing they'd have better bass but less detail? What benefit is the second driver? Does it just make the speaker louder, or is there more to it? Like if you compared the RC10s and 30s, would the 30s sound noticeably different in any way or just get louder?

That seems like a really nice deal for those, unless they sell out quick (Since the RC10s seem much harder to find than they were a few months ago, I'm not sure if the whole line is close to out of stock) I'll probably try and get him to get those.

Only thing that worries me is the fact that they're tower speakers, I know even with something like the CB20s he's going to freak out when he sees how big they are, he liked how tiny the Bose speakers are. On the off-chance that I can't convince him that these are an awesome deal and that it'll be worth it to deal with the size, are the CB20s a good choice as far as bookshelf speakers go?

I'm sure that the RC50s are a steal at that price, but the room the speakers are going in isn't huge, probably like 12x12 (isn't a square room, but I'd guess the area is about that or just a bit more) and I would guess that those would be overkill.

I'd actually really like to pick up a pair of the 50s myself, that seems like an insane deal, but I'm in a college dorm now and after this semester I'll be moving into a mid-sized apartment so they'd go in like a 10x10 or so room and I'd guess it'd be the same thing, way too much speaker for way too small a room.

The difference between bookshelves and towers besides their size is usually in the output and basst. More drivers allow these larger speakers to fill up a room more easily with sound at a given level, and usually a tower will have more bass extension.

The downside is that larger speakers can be harder to make 'disappear' due to the resonances coming from the larger enclosure, unless you start getting into the really expensive floorstanders where they do more to combat the effects of the larger size.This can give smaller speakers better accuracy for a given sound range sans bass. Another issue to consider is the size of the room. If you put a floorstander with a ton of output in a small room, it can overwhelm the room and things will sound overly bassy/muddy or you will have other sound issues.

I personally prefer a monitor with a subwoofer due to me typically listening in smaller rooms. Another factor to consider for bookshelves is that you may also have to get stands for optimum performance, which will knock about $100 off the budget. They aren't necessarily, but do help the sound.

If he isn't afraid to buy used, he can get some fantastic deals, as in saving close to 50%. In that smaller room scenario, he'd probably be best served with something like this:
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrmoni&1303331488&/Ascend-Acoustics-Sierra-1-

and for the receiver, he could get a 2 channel HK3490 for under $300

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00198F89A/?tag=neogaf0e-20

If he absolutely must buy new speakers, I'll have to look around for some other options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom