• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Audiophile quality PC speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alucrid

Banned
Are there any other good auction sites for speakers? No F12s have appeared on Audiogon in a while. Hoping to nab one right after I get my tax return.

FoxSpirit

what about a TV's though? or is it converted before it passes through the HDMI cable?
Most likely the same as the 360, the converter in your TV is simply the cheapest there is. It's only meant to feed the TV speakers.
Buy and compare, Amazon has a great return policy anyway.

If I'm right, (which I believe I am,) HDMI carries only digital signal, so it is not converted before it reaches your TV (or else it would be analog.)
Aeyup.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I see that the swan m10's are going to be sold out until early march...is anything else comparable for the price? Anything better for under $175?

godnorazi

Banned
not sure if you would consider these audiophile... but i am hard pressed to find anything better for under $100 (i got mine on sale for $70 shipped)

creative_gigaworks_t20_series_ii_ssmsq.jpg

Veritas_

Got the Swans/HiVi D1080MKII delivered today. Can't wait to try them out when I get home! Anyone else on Gaf got this set of speakers as well?

Edit: Got home and set the speakers up, liking what I'm hearing so far. The laptop is just a temp solution, building a desktop right now and will be pairing them with the Asus Xonar soon enough.

20111215_193152.jpg

Yup, I've got them too. I'm using them as TV speakers for the moment, since my PC setup is too small to have them on the desk or stands. I was really underwhelmed when I had them hooked up to the iMac since they really sounded like they were lacking something. On the flip side I had a friend come over and DJ for a little house party and when cranked up and hooked up to some good equipment, they sounded really good. I think it might have just been a bad setup, and I'm rather eager to try them again under better circumstances.

Also, you have the speakers switched, the master is supposed to be the right channel.

Edit: For kicks and giggles I moved my game PC over to my TV setup. (I have a Soundblaster X-Fi in it.) Wow, they sound significantly better than I remember. A good source + proper positioning really makes a difference.

FoxSpirit

nitewulf

we should all just post nice photos of our systems, that'll give it a nice boost.

FoxSpirit, this isnt a PC speaker thread...just started out as one, because my PC contains all my music files...as I'm sure is the case for most people.

What speakers are those BTW?

I'm thinking about buying the AV40s but I've been hearing negative things about the bass. Are they pretty weak? I listen to mostly electronic/dance music, so it's either a make/break deal for me. I'm on a $150 budget and I've been told that I can buy a separate subs for the but considering that I'm on a tight budget, I'm not looking towards the subs. If there are any other speakers around my price range, feel free to share.

Alucrid

Banned
Hmm....earlier I was playing music with my volume at about ~45, which is pretty loud, but not enough that I thought would, you know, cause damage. Well I started to smell something burning, smelt like rubber/electronics. Located it and it was coming from the port holes on my speakers, so I shut everything off. Now, later on, I tested it out and nothing seems wrong. I mean, I don't believe anything has been affected in terms of sound but I'm not sure. I keep thinking something does, but that might just be because I'm 'looking' for something to be wrong. The smell isn't obvious though as it was around the room earlier, just if I take a whiff near the port holes. Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions? I mean, that a smell like that certainlly can't be good.

BFIB

I'm looking to get a set of new PC speakers, looking to spend around $100-150.

Any recommendations would be welcome! Mostly to be used for regular PC gaming, and music for when I'm working.

Coldsnap

rokit-5-lg-1.png
rokit-5-lg-3.png

How can I connect two of these straight to my HTPC (no receiver)? Should I buy a soundcard if I will be using these as my main speakers for my HTPC setup (downsizing from 5.1 due to small apartment). I have a GTX 460 MSI Twin FROZR. Thanks in advance.

quaere

How can I connect two of these straight to my HTPC (no receiver)? Should I buy a soundcard if I will be using these as my main speakers for my HTPC setup (downsizing from 5.1 due to small apartment). I have a GTX 460 MSI Twin FROZR. Thanks in advance.
You could use them with a sound card but you don't have to. You are not supposed to use these with a receiver, that's why they are self powered. If you have regular onboard sound, you want a 3.5mm male Y to RCA females adapter, and then two RCA male to male cables. This will go straight into the back of your Rokits.

Also, anyone ever think about going mono? I stringed together a bunch of cables to merge an analog stereo signal into a mono one (so I still get the contents of both channels), and have been test running with only one speaker for a couple days. I'm not much of an audiophile but I can easily tell the difference between a $100 speaker and a $250 speaker, however, I don't miss stereo at all. I might just buy a single $500 studio monitor and get $1,000 sound for half the price. Any problems with this I'm not aware of?

Coldsnap

You could use them with a sound card but you don't have to. You are not supposed to use these with a receiver, that's why they are self powered. If you have regular onboard sound, you want a 3.5mm male Y to RCA females adapter, and then two RCA male to male cables. This will go straight into the back of your Rokits.

Also, anyone ever think about going mono? I stringed together a bunch of cables to merge an analog stereo signal into a mono one (so I still get the contents of both channels), and have been test running with only one speaker for a couple days. I'm not much of an audiophile but I can easily tell the difference between a $100 speaker and a $250 speaker, however, I don't miss stereo at all. I might just buy a single $500 studio monitor and get $1,000 sound for half the price. Any problems with this I'm not aware of?

Great, thanks so much for the help. Will having a sound card improve the quality of the sound? If so I might consider getting a cheapish one (70$) since I will be using these two monitors as my sole speakers for my theatre setup. I'm not bringing my 5.1 system with me when I move, It's just too large and too many wires for a small apartment.

Luthair

Hey guys, I could really use your advice if you are willing to bestow it upon me :)

I currently have a pair of Swan M200MKII's on my PC but I just recently got rid of my TV so now I have a Onkyo TX-SR 308 with a pair of Audioengine P4's and a Polk PSW10 subwoofer. I am trying to figure out what setup with be optimal for my PC. I like a 2.1 setup since a 4.1 would be weird without a 5th speaker. I am a bit confused on how the connections would go :-\ If the M200MKII's were put onto the TX-SR 308, would their built in amplifier cause any problems? They plug in with a Red/white analog which I am not sure how I would do those with a subwoofer on my receiver :-\ Its quite confusing for me hahaha. Any suggestions?

Edit : My computer has a X-fi Titanium without the faceplate.

Banglish

hey dudes, could ya help an audio-newb out?

I have 2 old Sony speakers collecting dust. The middle console is messed up.

ACjsB.jpg

Is it possible to convert, this:

XVqvW.jpg

to:

tb5zo.jpg

?

Reason is I wanna use em for my laptop. If not, can you convert the red/black to an audio out?

kevm3

kevm, how powerful is the plinius? is it driving your speakers well, and how sensitive are your speakers?

My bad, I haven't been in this thread in a long time. The plinius I have is 100 watts per channel I believe. It drives my speakers very well since they are quite efficient. I use attenuators and putting them on 2 or 3 out of 8 gives me plenty of volume.
The Plinius is an excellent amp, especially since my speakers can be bright.

Celcius

°Temp. member
How would I go about connecting a pair of BX5a's to my X-Fi Titanium HD? They don't seem to have standard in/outputs...

I've been looking to buy some new speakers for my computer for awhile and I'm trying to chose bewteen this and this.

I was leaning more toawards the Logitech ones since they're half the price and they are surround sound, but I've also heard the Creative speakers were good and I kind of like their design.

Any advice?

I've been looking to buy some new speakers for my computer for awhile and I'm trying to chose bewteen this and this.

I was leaning more toawards the Logitech ones since they're half the price and they are surround sound, but I've also heard the Creative speakers were good and I kind of like their design.

Any advice?

For your budget, these will make you much happier than either of those: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0051WAM64/?tag=neogaf0e-20

reKon

Banned
The other thread I posted this was so old that I got no response:

The stupid control pod on my Z 2300 went bad again and this time I can't do anything about it because I'm out of the warranty.

I'm considering getting new speakers in the near future if I can't fix these.

Logitech Speaker System Z623

Swan M10

Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

Out of these, which should I choose and why?

To give some background, I thought that the music quality on the Z 2300 was decent. I liked the bass cause it never distorted, and the sound was full, but sometimes I wish the bass was tighter. I'd never set the bass more than halfway too. For gaming and movies, the Z 2300 was excellent and really made movie watching awesome.

I want speakers that that can come close to delivering the same bass power as the Z 2300's at half bass, but at the same time, I think I want something that sounds a bit cleaner for listening to music with tighter, hard hitting bass. I've heard that the Z623 delivers cleaner sound, but it's not as powerful. Is this my best bet? For now I'm leaning towards the Promedia 2.1..

FoxSpirit

Either the M10 or the Klipsch, both are way above the Logitechs in their own way.

The Swans have a more pleasant sound and are very compact. But they don't go that loud and the micro-sub has to be kept on the table. If you are really starved for space, this could be an issue.

The Klipsch are more harsh but simply go louder with bigger bass and have a traditional sub that is to be put under the table.

reKon

Banned
Either the M10 or the Klipsch, both are way above the Logitechs in their own way.

The Swans have a more pleasant sound and are very compact. But they don't go that loud and the micro-sub has to be kept on the table. If you are really starved for space, this could be an issue.

The Klipsch are more harsh but simply go louder with bigger bass and have a traditional sub that is to be put under the table.

Would you say the bass is tighter than on the z 2300?

Darkatomz

Would you say the bass is tighter than on the z 2300?
I can answer that.

The bass on any Logitech speaker system is flabby as HELL.

As long as your budget is around $250, you might want to consider the M200mkII or the D1080IV for Swan speakers, alternatively. You can throw in a sub if you really insist down the line. Although the Klipsch ProMedia is a fine choice.

Laekon

I'm getting a new flat screen tv today and wondering what to do for speakers. The tv will be in the living room of a small apartment (500sq ft) so I don't feel I need a receiver or surround sound. Would my AV40's sound pretty good hooked up to the head phone jack of the tv? I'm also looking at the Swan M10's since they have a sub.

It's a new apartment and I haven't figured out what to do about the fact my music on my pc might not be near the tv.

Piggus

Ordered the Swan M10s since I needed a decent pair of desktop speakers. Mostly because of good reviews and price, but partially because they look damn sexy.

Basically the way my setup works is my PC is hooked up to my monitor, TV, headphones, and 5.1 system (used with the TV) so I can use my PC and either a regular PC or an HTPC with a couple of clicks. But for whatever reason I can only get my HDMI audio output to work on my 5.1 speakers when the TV is turned on even though the signal is going through the receiver first. It's not an issue with my other stuff like the PS3. So it's a pain to switch audio from headphones to the 5.1 system when for example I just wanna show someone a YouTube video or something. Besides, sometimes I just don't want to wear headphones when at my desk so I think the Swans will fill the need nicely. Can't wait!

kevm3

Hard to believe I have little desire to upgrade. I'm curious about evolution acoustics speakers, but then again I'm afraid my current equipment wouldn't work particularly well with them since I am very particular about sound.

Got to love speakers. I haven't had one regret about selling all of my headphones for my speaker set-up.

Can someone give me a quick rundown on why I should avoid Bose speakers?

Is it that they're genuinely low quality or is it because they're decent/medium quality but incredibly overpriced?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom