• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Audiophile quality PC speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piggus

Can someone give me a quick rundown on why I should avoid Bose speakers?

Is it that they're genuinely low quality or is it because they're decent/medium quality but incredibly overpriced?

Overpriced I'd say... I have a pair of Bose TriPort headphones and the sound quality is great (imo) and they're by far the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn BUT my $80 pair of Sony MDR XB700s perform a little better, are MUCH sturdier, and cost half as much. As for their desktop speakers, again I haven't head any Bose speakers that sounded bad but for the price you can do a lot better.

Banglish

found this on my doorstep today!

J5rRi.jpg

Can someone give me a quick rundown on why I should avoid Bose speakers?

Is it that they're genuinely low quality or is it because they're decent/medium quality but incredibly overpriced?

It's a mixture of cheap materials and a general driver that produces a wide range of frequencies rather than dedicated ones for handling lows, mid-range, and high. Sounds great until you realize it's the equivalent of having a motherboard with everything built in instead of having a separate graphics card and sound card. It just doesn't work as well.

Plus they use a paper cone so eventually they'll warp and produce inaccurate sounds. I used to work at a Best Buy hooking up their home theater setups and I've had to replace these from time to time because they start sounding like crap. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone except as a booby prize.

Piggus

So my Swans M10s arrived yesterday. The sound is amazing, but I'm having an issue. After I've played about 20 minutes of music and the sub has warmed up for a while, the left speaker hums constantly even when there is no input at all. It only stops humming when I turn the sub completely off and wait about 10 or 15 minutes. But get this... when I get close enough to the speaker while it's humming, I can hear one of my local radio stations. >_>

I've tried troubleshooting just about everything I can think of... I've reversed the speaker output, completely disconnected the input line, moved the speakers away from the wall, removed the radio antenna from my 5.1 system, turned off other speakers and electronics, etc etc. It's not a problem with the main speakers but rather the LEFT OUTPUT on the sub.

Any advice? I've only had them for a day so I realize they still have to be broken in.

nitewulf

So my Swans M10s arrived yesterday. The sound is amazing, but I'm having an issue. After I've played about 20 minutes of music and the sub has warmed up for a while, the left speaker hums constantly even when there is no input at all. It only stops humming when I turn the sub completely off and wait about 10 or 15 minutes. But get this... when I get close enough to the speaker while it's humming, I can hear one of my local radio stations. >_>

I've tried troubleshooting just about everything I can think of... I've reversed the speaker output, completely disconnected the input line, moved the speakers away from the wall, removed the radio antenna from my 5.1 system, turned off other speakers and electronics, etc etc. It's not a problem with the main speakers but rather the LEFT OUTPUT on the sub.

Any advice? I've only had them for a day so I realize they still have to be broken in.

this is an isolation and shielding issue, has nothing to do with break in. check to make sure your main power is properly grounded, use a three pin plug, test on another outlet.

Piggus

this is an isolation and shielding issue, has nothing to do with break in. check to make sure your main power is properly grounded, use a three pin plug, test on another outlet.

Thanks, I'll keep trying to figure it out. Customer service wasn't helpful. They just said to return it. :p

FoxSpirit

Thanks, I'll keep trying to figure it out. Customer service wasn't helpful. They just said to return it. :p
Well, since it's only one speaker AND it only starts happening only after warming up the sub that's the proper response.
Most likely something with a cold solder spot breaking the grounding. Also possible is something with a cap or a transistor. Okay, that's about all the error sources there are for this kind of problem :p

Sorry, but you will have to part again for some time.

Where can I get the speaker wire covers? I need something that will cover the speaker wire going up the wall to my surround sound speakers.

Banglish

Sooo??? Speak up, man!!

My baad lol
I love it.
Quick an easy set-up. Comes with murder gloves so you don't leave prints on your babies.
I don't have a large desk so the satellites fit nicely.
The volume adjuster feels great and looks cool at night glowing blue or red.
The sub cranks! Haven't thought about turning the knob past quarter, yet.

huMIk.jpg

2OkrK.jpg

Thank you for the suggestion, this set couldn't be any more perfect for me. :)
Sooo yea, in conclusion, I'd recommend these to anyone, as FoxSpirit did.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Ok GAF, I need your help. I know very little about audio or speakers. A good friend of mine's parents are trying to get rid of a 5.1 set + receiver that they don't have space for. Here are the various pieces (the craigslist posts are NOT the ones I'll be receiving, just the same model). I'd be getting everything for $500.

The receiver is a RX-V661: http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx/rx-v661_black__u/?mode=model
Two bookshelf: http://raleigh.craigslist.org/ele/2923253151.html
Two standing: http://raleigh.craigslist.org/ele/2969284652.html
One center: http://raleigh.craigslist.org/ele/2965052423.html
One sub: http://raleigh.craigslist.org/ele/2971523716.html

I'd be using them for TV/movies (HTPC or ATV/Boxee Box, haven't decided) and also music (various potential sources ex: iPhone, Airport Express, HTPC/ATV/Boxee Box, etc). I live in a studio apartment.

Is this a pretty good deal? Is it overkill for what I'd want/need, or is the deal so good that I should get them as an investment for now and the future?

Piggus

Well, since it's only one speaker AND it only starts happening only after warming up the sub that's the proper response.
Most likely something with a cold solder spot breaking the grounding. Also possible is something with a cap or a transistor. Okay, that's about all the error sources there are for this kind of problem :p

Sorry, but you will have to part again for some time.

I ended up returning the speakers after doing a lot of troubleshooting and SURPRISE! The new ones do the exact same thing. :/

So that leads me to believe it' a problem with our house's wiring or some kind of ground loop. It's not a 60hz hum though like most ground loops. It's closer to 150 or 200 and only in the left speaker.

I guess I'll try to unplug other things in the house to see if they're causing interference.

Zabojnik

Hey guys. My brother is begging me to help him choose some quality PC audio equipment, of which I know basically nothing about, and he's pretty specific about what he needs / wants, so I thought I'd ask the experts here. :)

1. Speakers. As of right now, it's a battle between the Audioengine A5+ and the Swan M200MkIII, with the latter winning. Seems like a good (best?) choice for the money, from what I can gather here and elsewhere on the web. What do you guys think?

2. DAC So apparently a good DAC can make all the difference in the world. As far as I can tell there doesn't seem to be much of a choice. He's been checking out the HUD mx1 and the Yulong D100 (ver. 2) these last few days. He really likes the HUD mx1, if for one particular reason only - it has a speaker / headphone switch. Good / bad idea? Would any of these two DACs make a notable difference when paired with speakers like the Swans?

And let me also ask you this: most of these 'affordable' DACs are advertised as DAC/amp combinations. What does this mean, exactly? For example, since the Swans are active speakers, would this mean you'd have to keep to volume of the DAC/amp very low so not to overpower and possibly damage your active speakers, or is the amp in this case more of a preamp, which is used mostly to boost the headphones?

nitewulf

2. DAC So apparently a good DAC can make all the difference in the world. As far as I can tell there doesn't seem to be much of a choice. He's been checking out the HUD mx1 and the Yulong D100 (ver. 2) these last few days. He really likes the HUD mx1, if for one particular reason only - it has a speaker / headphone switch. Good / bad idea? Would any of these two DACs make a notable difference when paired with speakers like the Swans?

And let me also ask you this: most of these 'affordable' DACs are advertised as DAC/amp combinations. What does this mean, exactly? For example, since the Swans are active speakers, would this mean you'd have to keep to volume of the DAC/amp very low so not to overpower and possibly damage your active speakers, or is the amp in this case more of a preamp, which is used mostly to boost the headphones?

The Swans are active speakers, they do not need external amplification. However, a DAC/AMP can feed the signals to these, in which case, I'd turn up the DAC/AMP as much as possible first, and use the Speaker volume control for actual fine tuning to listening levels. These combos are DACs with an amplifier, unless stated as a headphone amplifier.

For the Swans, the best bet is to get something like an HRT Music Streamer II (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0038O4UFQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20), which is cheap and very high quality. This will feed the analog signal to the speakers. Very simple and high quality setup.

The Matrix Mini is another good choice:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0058PLBZU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Zabojnik

Hey nitewult, thanks for the info. The two DACs you mentioned seem like good choices. However, my brother is going to be switching between speakers and headphones a lot. How would you approach this and still take advantage of the DAC with both? You would need to connect some kind of switch / splitter to the DAC's output, right? Can you think of any such product?

BeeDog

Can someone recommend some good 2.0 speakers (dunno if that term is correct, just need 2 PC speakers without a sub)? I want some quality speakers that are suited for electronic music (where both the treble and the bass should be great). The music I listen to is often pretty damn bassy, so some speakers with decent punch is appreciated.

guest1321

Can someone recommend some good 2.0 speakers (dunno if that term is correct, just need 2 PC speakers without a sub)? I want some quality speakers that are suited for electronic music (where both the treble and the bass should be great). The music I listen to is often pretty damn bassy, so some speakers with decent punch is appreciated.

I'm really happy with mm Swan D1080MKII08 , the bass isn't overwhelming but everything is really clear and sounds great with electronic. The bass is tight and punchy, but having come from a 2.1 Altec Lansing system the bass was definitely lacking; however, I think that is to be expected when going from a 2.1 to a 2.0.

I've heard the Swan's a step up from mine pack a little more, and depending on your price range (Which you need to mention), they might be to your liking.

Zabojnik

The price tags are ... out of this world. :)) Maybe I should have specified that he's not willing to spend more than 300$ for a DAC/amp combo. Anyway, I can't for the love of me find one that has an output switch on it. The cheap HUD-MX1 seems to be the only one.

FoxSpirit

Wait for summer and the ODA, the "Objective Desktop Amplifier".
Will be around $250 and is built to the highest engineering standard. We are talking serious high end.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I'm looking for suggestions on pc speakers. I was going to get the Klipsch promedia 2.1's, but I live in an apartment and the sub would have to go on the floor (probably a bad idea due to neighbors below). Then I started looking at 2.0 sets. There's a pair of KRK RP5G2 Rokit G2's on my local craigslist for $200 but I could probably talk the guy down to $150. For under $200 would this be my best bet, or should I just go to frys and buy av40's or creative t40's?

adg1034

So, it seems like the conventional wisdom is that the Swan/HiVi M10 < M-Audio BX5-A < Audioengine M2 < Swan MK200ii/iii < Audioengine M5/M5+ < M-Audio DSM1/2/3. But the DSM1/2/3s are discontinued, the M5+ can only be found at MSRP (seemingly), and I'm not sure if Amazon's suggested replacements for the DSM line, the BX5 D2, are anything special. So I feel a little limited on my options.

If you had $200-400 to spend on a first pair of genuinely good desktop speakers (with a Xonar D2X backing them up), how would you proceed?

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
i guess you're looking for only powered speakers?

I've owned my Audioengine A5s for two years and have been nothing but thrilled with them. I listen to a little bit of everything, but primarily indie rock and jazz. never added a sub to the mix, but i'm more than pleased with their range and sound. they're not bright speakers but that can be tweaked by the EQ on your media player if you so prefer.

If you want something cheaper, I'm also a fan of the M-Audio AV-40s. Their sound signature is comparable to the A5s, with the main difference being a low/mid bass that is slightly muddier. If I close my eyes it'd be hard for me to tell the difference, which is impressive for a system costing half the price.

Also, have you considered going with passive speakers and getting a cheap amp? Check this out - http://reviews.cnet.com/separate-sp...69_7-35265150.html?tag=rb_content;contentBody

If you elect the passive route, you can probably find something comparable in sound quality to the A5s for much cheaper. Could even be less expensive than the AV-40s too.

adg1034

i guess you're looking for only powered speakers?

I've owned my Audioengine A5s for two years and have been nothing but thrilled with them. I listen to a little bit of everything, but primarily indie rock and jazz. never added a sub to the mix, but i'm more than pleased with their range and sound. they're not bright speakers but that can be tweaked by the EQ on your media player if you so prefer.

If you want something cheaper, I'm also a fan of the M-Audio AV-40s. Their sound signature is comparable to the A5s, with the main difference being a low/mid bass that is slightly muddier. If I close my eyes it'd be hard for me to tell the difference, which is impressive for a system costing half the price.

Also, have you considered going with passive speakers and getting a cheap amp? Check this out - http://reviews.cnet.com/separate-sp...69_7-35265150.html?tag=rb_content;contentBody

If you elect the passive route, you can probably find something comparable in sound quality to the A5s for much cheaper. Could even be less expensive than the AV-40s too.

Hmm. I'd only really considered powered speakers, but now you've got me looking into passive. The Daytons look more than fine, but I'm not just looking for a stopgap right now. Not looking to break the bank, either, especially on my budget, but those look like they'd have been an awesome entry in the world of speakers when I was still in college. For now, though, Audioengine P4s with, say, a Topping TP21? I've never owned an amp before, either, so I'm not sure whether that'd be overkill.

The AV-40s look great, though. As do the A5s, obviously, but I'd probably rather go with a separate amp, given the flexibility it could potentially give me down the line.

EDIT: Now looking at some Paradigm Mini Monitors. Intriguing.

I received a new pair of Audioengine A2s a few days straight from Audioengine with the rubber stands. Build quality is wonderful but I'm not sure if I love the sound, at least not yet anyway. They seem much warmer and more laid back than I was expecting. Could it be because of the onboard audio of my Asus motherboard? Using mini-jack instead of RCA? I think I was just expecting something a little brighter with more clarity in the high frequencies. They really seem to take a back seat with these. Maybe I'm just used to the Paradigm MilleniaOne's sitting next to my TV in the family room which are in another league at this size. They also having an HSU sub handing the lower frequencies but even without, blow the A2s away in terms of clarity.

FoxSpirit

kevm3

Too bad this thread doesn't have more activity, but then again speakers are much more expensive than headphones on the price/performance curve... but there's no way I'd willingly go back to headphones.

ChryZ

I recently upgraded my PC audio to Adam Audio A3X speakers and Matrix Mini-i DAC. XLR wired, DAC fed by toslink. The DAC also doubles as headphone amp and is driving my ATH-M50 cans sufficiently.

Really happy with this combo.

kevm3

I think I may possibly shoot for a speaker upgrade by the end of the year. I want to see how those new Polks, the LSiM 703s turn out

1fb6050157946e87eab5493764489806.jpg

nitewulf

I think I may possibly shoot for a speaker upgrade by the end of the year. I want to see how those new Polks, the LSiM 703s turn out

1fb6050157946e87eab5493764489806.jpg

i have to say, if you have the space...look into 2 or 3 way mini floorstanders...the additional bass you get is quite something. of course not true for all speakers but you know what i mean...

muu

i have to say, if you have the space...look into 2 or 3 way mini floorstanders...the additional bass you get is quite something. of course not true for all speakers but you know what i mean...

Got a pair of Salk towers and definitely agree. Got it crossing over to a sub at ~40Hz, and that thing rarely ever turns on unless you're watching a movie.

kevm3

If I had the space, I'd definitely consider floorstanders, but right now I don't have the space for it. What speaker are you using now nitewulf?

kevm3

Anyone interested in a pair of Dali Mentor 2's for $850? I'm just listing it here on neogaf before I take it to head-fi and other audio sites. Time for an upgrade for me, so this is a great price on a speaker that sells for $2,000 plus new and regularly sells for $1000 - $1200+ used.

kevm3

Thanks, it's tempting but where moved to having a sub would be a bit overkill at the moment. Plan on upgrading my DAC instead and then get a rythmik in a year or so when I move out.

Nice, a tube based DAC would be excellent to go with those speakers since they are so revealing. What options are you looking at at the moment?

guest1321

^ Granted I don't post much and don't know a whole lot about speakers take this with a grain of salt: that reminds of an oversized vacuum from a couple of decades ago or a carpet cleaner. I can't say I would be into having that in my house. yes yes i know, looks aren't everything...

Eruopeans, I need your help. I need a recommendation for a online shop that will ship Swan speakers throughout Europe (Scandinavia to be excat) as there are no shops in my country that sells them.

Also, how has the reception been of the Swans M10 and the S3W? We're consider those sets for the office, but haven't decided yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom