• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August 2008 NPD Results

jimbo

Banned
Grecco said:
More Marketting? Unless your talking about the Blue Dragon Anime a year later on Cartoon Network?

Both had the same type of advertising push, print ads. Both are "Kiddy" looking rpgs (And before the Tales fans start throwing tomatos notice its in "") These type of rpgs just dont atract the US Xbox consumer. Notice how the "Mature" looking Lost Odessy did way better. I dont see Tales doing anything substantial in the US. Look for Infinite Undiscovery and Last Remnant, and Star Ocean to do much better

I thought BD had more marketing, at least I know it did in Japan. I also know it was a graphics whore's favorite. That's what everyone was talking about back then. Cel shaded JRPG's are like kryptonite to Superman in the US. But it seemed BD got more attention across the board mainly because of its looks, and in the US, looks sell.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Minsc said:
Is there a reason why Safari plays gifs at around 1/4th the actual framerate, or is that just a Mac thing? It gets annoying at times, when trying to watch a 15 second gif takes around 1 minute. Have you tried running the gifs through firefox on a Mac? Of course, none of this happens on a PC, so I rather enjoy the Star Trek gifs.

I think it's webkit, Chrome does the same thing. :(

womfalcs3

Banned
Many people in these threads only think for 1 day at a time. So compulsive.

One month... X360 is done. Next month... PS3 is done. Two months later.... wow they're both doing well.

Grecco

Firestorm said:
If you mean NOT advertised instead of hardly advertised I'd agree. Well, I don't agree that it's a B calibre RPG. It's an A for quality, but B is the way it's looked at because of Namco's handling of the series.

Both had alot of ads through gaming magazines, anime mags, comic books, basically the target audience that will buy japanese rpgs.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Yes, I'm aware of that as I've been using broadband for nearly 10 years. It's even speedier in Japan!

However, his gifs slow down the actual hardware I'm on, which is a brand-new Macbook. But hey, my fault. I know as well as anyone that NPD threads aren't about discussion, they're about posting funny pictures and gifs.
sounds like something's wrong with your computer.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Firestorm said:
If you mean NOT advertised instead of hardly advertised I'd agree. Well, I don't agree that it's a B calibre RPG. It's an A for quality, but B is the way it's looked at because of Namco's handling of the series.

QFT by a mile.

The Tales Franchise is a quality franchise, unfortunately Namco is treating the franchise like crap.

I mean, just look at the list of offenses they have done with the franchise just THIS GENERATION.
-Move the main franchise to three different consoles DS ----> X360 ----> Wii (in the upcoming installment).
-Forced Team Destiny to make remakes instead of new games
-Had main games made by non-Tales Studio teams (Alfa Systems, etc.) which ruined the franchise name
-Released a new game every year, which diluted the brand
-Put a poor budget behind what should have easily been a big budget sequel (Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World)
-Never releasing the handheld iterations of the game on the PSP and the DS in the states, ignoring a huge userbase that is hungry for quality RPG's.

With the way they treated the Tales franchise, it is no wonder that Vesperia and Symphonia 2 will not reach its potential.

jimbo said:
I thought BD had more marketing, at least I know it did in Japan. I also know it was a graphics whore's favorite. That's what everyone was talking about back then. Cel shaded JRPG's are like kryptonite to Superman in the US. But it seemed BD got more attention across the board mainly because of its looks, and in the US, looks sell.

I would agree with you if Tales of Symphonia didn't sell so well in the USA.

To me it just looks like Microsoft's console is not where the tales fans are in the states.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Grecco said:
Both had alot of ads through gaming magazines, anime mags, comic books, basically the target audience that will buy japanese rpgs.

How many people do you think that it is, exactly? Most JRPGs don't have crossover appeal the way FF does.

jimbo

Banned
Case said:
so final fantasy is the only A quality jrpg?

And Lost Odyssey :D

And maybe, just MAYBE Star Ocean 4.

In all honesty, sure there are other smaller ones like Lunar, Skies of Arcadia, but I would put Tales of in the same category as Wild Arms. Not the others.

Regardless of what anyone says, presentation MATTERS in JRPG's,(they are after all extremely PASSIVE) and ToV doesn't really have it.

Eteric Rice

jimbo said:
And Lost Odyssey :D

And maybe, just MAYBE Star Ocean 4.

In all honesty, sure there are other smaller ones like Lunar, Skies of Arcadia, but I would put Tales of in the same category as Wild Arms. Not the others.

Regardless of what anyone says, presentation MATTERS in JRPG's,(they are after all extremely PASSIVE) and ToV doesn't really have it.

Lost Odyssey bored me to tears. :(

Speevy

Banned
Case said:
so final fantasy is the only A quality jrpg?

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/583527.asp

Also:

1. Chrono Trigger SNES SquareSoft 16 9.2 95.100%
11. Vagrant Story PS Square EA 43 8.5 92.316%
12. Chrono Cross PS Square EA 39 8.7 92.218%
21. Xenogears PS Square EA 21 8.7 90.986%
22. Planescape: Torment PC Interplay 41 8.8 90.780%
25. Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga GBA Nintendo 67 8.7 90.527%
26. Skies of Arcadia DC Sega 41 8.7 90.333%
28. Phantasy Star Online DC Sega 42 8.6 89.996%
29. Final Fantasy VIII PS Square EA 37 8.5 89.838%
30. Golden Sun GBA Nintendo 50 8.7 89.760%
31. Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King PS2 Square Enix 82 8.7 89.557%

Hcoregamer00

jimbo said:

I disagree, the presentation is great.

The name brand has been diluted due to Namco's shoddy handling of the Franchise in Japan and the USA.

scitek

ViperVisor said:
GetYoPopcornReady.gif
24chxz5.gif

Firestorm

Grecco said:
I've seen one ad in EGM. Sadly I don't read anime mags or comic books. I'm assuming they have that same one page ad. I haven't seen anything on websites or on TV. Their online viral marketing site (TalesBrigade) opened up only 3 weeks before its release and didn't have many activities based around promoting the game at all. Most other sites from the same company (WhatsWithinYourSoul, Endless Nocturne, Hokage's Room, Slime Knights, etc) did a much more thorough job of it.

Namco Bandai cheaped out on marketing this game. I've seen no feature for this game except for the interview with Play a VERY long time ago.

jimbo, Vesperia's visuals are amazing. I'd put it with Star Ocean on the type of RPG it is. Hell, I'd think the two fanbases are quite similar and have quite a bit of overlap.

JaMarco

Speevy said:

Also:

31. Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King PS2 Square Enix 82 8.7 89.557%
I cant argue with that list ;)

909er said:
I'm curious though, was ToV expected to show up with only 4 days? Does anybody think it has a chance of showing up next month?
No way in hell.

Not when it's confronted with 6 Force Unleashed SKUs, 6 LEGO Batman SKUs, Rock Band 2 360, the never-die Wii Play/Wii Fit/Mario Kart Wii trifecta, more of Madden, a full month of Tiger, NHL (for NPD Canada sales), Mercenaries 2, Kirby Super Star Ultra etc.

ToV won't be making any Top 10 appearances, my friend.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Deadly Monk said:
We sold out of 360 Arcades AGAIN (second shipment came Tuesday morning). September sales are going to be fuuuuuuuuun.

how many are you getting in a shipment?

909er

B-Rad Lascelle said:
No way in hell.

Not when it's confronted with 6 Force Unleashed SKUs, 6 LEGO Batman SKUs, Rock Band 360, the never-die Wii Play/Wii Fit/Mario Kart Wii trifecta, more of Madden, a full month of Tiger, NHL (for NPD Canada sales), Mercenaries 2, Kirby Super Star Ultra etc.

ToV won't be making any Top 10 appearances, my friend.

Didn't realize September was so stacked. I thought it would be quiet month.

Speevy

Banned
flintstryker said:
So let me get something straight here, if Tov had scored all 9s and above and remained exactly as it was now it would be an A rpg to you?

I guess? I've never played it. The original discussion involved games that are rated in the B-/B+ range, which includes every JRPG released so far this generation.

If you think it's an A+ effort, good for you. I'm just clarifying what he meant. I scored Pikmin 2 a 9.6, and it's rated 89% at Gamerankings. Go figure.

I don't really want to be that guy but I agree with whoever it is that said that the Wii has better games - from the viewpoint of the everyday consumer. this should be fairly simple to grasp as... well, it's selling better. forget your attach ratios (which are ALWAYS skewed to favor the least selling console might I add), forget your metacritics. do you think Joe Average cares that IGN only gave Carnival Games a 5.5? probably not.

Madden on Wii underperformed by the HD versions because... well, just look at the cover. EA tried to tailor the game to an audience that does not care about football games. I'd like to think that the Wii version of 2010 will receive a far less degrading treatment, and maybe actually be mentioned in the advertisements

was anyone expecting Tales of Vesperia to chart? slap yourself.

Speevy

Banned
Let's just kill the NPD discussion and continue onward with gifs of Scarlet Johannson nude or provactively posing.

Darkman M

Speevy said:

Also:

Not an A quality game for sure.

Eteric Rice

Aaron Strife said:
I don't really want to be that guy but I agree with whoever it is that said that the Wii has better games - from the viewpoint of the everyday consumer. this should be fairly simple to grasp as... well, it's selling better. forget your attach ratios (which are ALWAYS skewed to favor the least selling console might I add), forget your metacritics. do you think Joe Average cares that IGN only gave Carnival Games a 5.5? probably not.

Madden on Wii underperformed by the HD versions because... well, just look at the cover. EA tried to tailor the game to an audience that does not care about football games. I'd like to think that the Wii version of 2010 will receive a far less degrading treatment, and maybe actually be mentioned in the advertisements

was anyone expecting Tales of Vesperia to chart? slap yourself.

I think the Wii has a really good 09 line up.

But if we're talking games so far, no, it's not better. It's really just decent, and that's because of Nintendo and a few good third party titles.

09 looks like the Wii's year to shine, though. At least in terms of Japanese support.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Deadly Monk said:
We just got 10 in because we sold out of Arcades we've had in the back since May. We had 4 and those were all gone in 2 days.

That is some brisk movement.

Too Human sold too much. Thats the only interesting thing that really happened in this NPD. 360 and PS3 are still a bit too low, they should be over 200k. Compared to last year, theres been a big shift in Madden from PS2 to PS3. 360 figures are close to the same. Wii continues to sell well, and DS continues to sell even better. Guitar Hero, WiiFit, and Mario Kart have long, long legs.

To those bickering about third party sales, i really want to see an ambitious, built for Wii third party game from a large recognizable franchise or a new IP with a decent amount of hype AND a decent marketing push. The Conduit fits into this category (assuming it gets a major publisher like Nintendo or EA). If that game flops, then we can say third party games dont do well on Wii. Guitar Hero and Sonic are big recognizable third party games, hence why they sell on Wii. I also think Madden is part of the college frat boy and young adult male demographic, and hence it isnt too big on Wii.

I honestly expect Star Wars: Force Unleashed to sell the best on Wii. Or at least it will be very close to the 360 version. This is partially because of the duel mode inclusion, and because people have wanted a motion-controlled SW game on Wii since launch.

And this thread is one of the best GIF collections in quite some time. Cheers GAF.

Draft

I think the best thing about TNG gifs is that there's consistency to the Game/Trek universe.

The Klingons are Microsoft.
GAF is always Picard/Sisko.
Pachter is Q :lol
I think I saw the Ferengi once as Nintendo. Should be more Nintendo Ferengi gifs :lol

Hcoregamer00

eatyobeans said:
To those bickering about third party sales, i really want to see an ambitious, built for Wii third party game from a large recognizable franchise or a new IP with a decent amount of hype AND a decent marketing push. The Conduit fits into this category (assuming it gets a major publisher like Nintendo or EA). If that game flops, then we can say third party games dont do well on Wii. Guitar Hero and Sonic are big recognizable third party games, hence why they sell on Wii. I also think Madden is part of the college frat boy and young adult male demographic, and hence it isnt too big on Wii.

I would like to see this too.

If the Wii got a big budget 3rd party game with decent marketing, then we can say that 3rd parties don't sell on wii.

why all the meltdowns and celebrations over the 360 beating the PS3 by like what....? 10k?

The gifs are the best part of NPD day.

Top Bottom