• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August 2008 NPD Results

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Haunted said:
current-gen
this generation
now-gen
seventh generation
_______-gen

Anything is better than using 'next-gen' three years into this generation.

Next Gen is now. Whatever is after that is something else.

DCharlie said:
wait, Vesperia did 110k on 4 days sales - isn't that actually pretty decent?

We dont know what it sold, we only have spot #10 to know what it didnt sell over.
I expect better from you.

Firestorm

Darkman M said:
I think the game will sell better then alot of people think, i just dont expect to see any numbers until september NPD. The game was only out about a week for this npd numbers.
Darkman M said:
It was over 100k in japan i think, alot of places sold out of tales in NA the first week, but that's probably due to it being under shipped which could also mean it sold better then they expected. I think it will be the best selling tales game in north America out doing symphonia and abyss.
I can't see it charting in September without its first four days of sales. There's been zero marketing for this game. I think it'll beat Abyss for sure but that should be a given. Abyss did what... 30k? Namco severely undershipped this game as well which didn't help.

jimbo

Banned
xS1TH L0RDx said:
so did anyone ever explain why the 360 selling 10k more units than ps3 this month is doom and gloom for ps3?

Because last month, a 20k lead in favor of the PS3 got a bunch of Sony fanboys spelling doom for the 360 and claiming the PS3 had more or less solidified itself as the #2 console in the US. And then they began downplaying the price drop and that MS needed to do something badly and that not evne the $50 clearance sale helped it, etc etc etc.....

No one's spelling doom for it because of a 10k lead. They're just having fun playing reverse on a bunch of people that jumped the gun last month.

Haunted

Segata Sanshiro said:
Yes, I'm aware of that as I've been using broadband for nearly 10 years. It's even speedier in Japan!

However, his gifs slow down the actual hardware I'm on, which is a brand-new Macbook. But hey, my fault. I know as well as anyone that NPD threads aren't about discussion, they're about posting funny pictures and gifs.
Can't we have both? :(

I have commented on the excessiveness of 7-9MB .gifs before, though.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
so madden nfl sold like crap on wii...what does that mean? our definition of "casual" players last gen do not own a wii but own a ps3 or 360, apparently. wii just has some weird subsect of "casual" that is seemingly unknown but appears to have a huge population count

Eteric Rice

skinnyrattler said:
I know some people like to think other wise but I would count Madden as a casual game. In the dumbest sense. I mean, if we are gonna draw a fine line between casual and hardcore, I don't think of Madden as core.

Now, this is ignoring the retardedness of the whole deal/categorization.

Indeed.

Really, thinking about it and actually looking at the game, there's really no real reason to buy the Wii version over the 360 or PS3 version. It doesn't help that they added that retarded shit to the cover of the game.

I think that Soccer game from Konami (I think it was from Konami), had the right idea in terms of making a game for the Wii. EA on the other hand, is clueless.

I really don't know if EA will ever get it right. The people that actually control the money flow seem to think that it "has to appeal to kids hurr!" They're not interested in trying to get it right on the Wii.

Hcoregamer00 said:
Wow at the PSP and DS numbers, at this rate Sony and Nintendo wont need to do a damn thing about making their successors.

funny thing that the best selling sony console is their most "casual" console

so madden nfl sold like crap on wii...what does that mean?

my bet is that wii owners are not the type that buy stuff day one... that would explain the crazy legs that good selling games have on wii

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Hcoregamer00 said:
The truth hearts, doesn't it.

JRPG's are dying in the USA, and the "savior" keeps getting delayed.

Yeah, I forgot how all the other Tales games hit the NPD top 10 all the time....oh wait. How long have you kids followed video games? If the title doesn't have "Final Fantasy" "Pokemon" or "Kingdom Hearts" anywhere on the box, its not making the top 10. Why would anyone expect otherwise?

Darkman M

Wait im confused here, so we are compare tov a game that only chartable for what 4 days, to games that were charted since the beginning of august? Of course it's not gonna be in the top 10 on 4 days worth of recordings or am i missing something?

Haunted said:
Can't we have both? :(

I have commented on the excessiveness of 7-9MB .gifs before, though.
They're way too big, and the novelty of them (wherein the funny was contained) is long since expired. He's a poor man's Crushed.

Haunted

PantherLotus said:
Next Gen is now. Whatever is after that is something else.
When I hear or read 'next-gen' in 2008, I immediately think of the, you know, next generation of consoles, PS4, Xbox 3, Wii 2 etc.

Not that I'd read/hear it very often nowadays, since most gaming sites and commentators have adopted other terms, even companies like NPD and Wedbush-Morgan.

But since you're set in your opinion... and hey, they're your charts.

Segata Sanshiro said:
They're way too big, and the novelty of them (wherein the funny was contained) is long since expired. He's a poor man's Crushed.
His 15 minutes are up? The internet is harsh, and fast.

I won't accept an NPD thread entirely without funny .gifs, though. We've tried that before, and it was bland.

jimbo said:
Because last month, a 20k lead in favor of the PS3 got a bunch of Sony fanboys spelling doom for the 360 and claiming the PS3 had more or less solidified itself as the #2 console in the US. And then they began downplaying the price drop and that MS needed to do something badly and that not evne the $50 clearance sale helped it, etc etc etc.....

No one's spelling doom for it because of a 10k lead. They're just having fun playing reverse on a bunch of people that jumped the gun last month.

Someone should dig into that thread and pull a couple of choice quotes out it.

Fady K

jimbo said:
Lost Odyssey and arguably Blue Dragon(although not as popular in the US, but still of higher budget and more hype than ToV).

Once again you were trying to create artificial factors. No one was claiming last month that TOV and Too Human were going to push consoles in August.

ToV in Japan yes. ToV in the US, NO.

Lost Odyssey and perhaps The Last Remnant? Yes. The US market favors FF and clones when it comes to JRPGs, not cartoony, or cel shaded ones. Its biased towards flashy, high budget titles.

I personally felt ToV was bigger. But come to think of it, LO was pretty special too. So in the case of the RPG point I made, I stand corrected. Not trying to create any artificial factors. I just love Vesperia a whole lot that I forgot for a second that the Tales games dont sell well in the US, which is a shame - because this is the RPG this in many ways is the RPG many 'next-gen' have been waiting for.

Fady K said:
High? What 360/PS3/Wii RPG was as big and good as Tales of Vesperia? Barely any even came out. And..uh...I didnt say 360 underperformed :D Shows how much you read my post - let me point it out for you: "in comparison to what the PS3 had for the month" and "The 360 clearly won by 10k units - thats a fact. But its not a big deal when you consider the factors honestly" - and in here I was referring to the "factors" of the PS3 - higher price, no exclusive mixed in with the two cool 360 exclusives alongside a $50 price drop. Quite different than what you considered my "factors" were.

And of couuurse GoW2 is going to be healthy.

Mass Effect, Oblivion, Lost Oddyssey, Blue Dragon?

Too Human is not cool at all and Tales of series has never been a system mover as far as I can remember.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
OldJadedGamer said:
Oh yeah, that should be out soon. This is one game that may push me to get a PS3 faster this Christmas.

Good for you, because judging from how well it is going to sell you are going to see me post

GET VALKYRIA CHRONCLES!!!11111 quite a bit after November NPD

Starchasing said:
funny thing that the best selling sony console is their most "casual" console

Yeah, but there is no software sales.

Did Crisis Core even sell past 500k?

Grecco

Darkman M said:
Wait im confused here, so we are compare tov a game that only chartable for what 4 days, to games that were charted since the beginning of august? Of course it's not gonna be in the top 10 on 4 days worth of recordings or am i missing something?

Possibly. But theres also the fact that games are front loaded and get the bulk of their sales from their first week and first day on market.

TOV reminds me of another hardly advertised B Caliber RPG on the X360 that came at the end of August. Blue Dragon.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
skinnyrattler said:
I know some people like to think other wise but I would count Madden as a casual game. In the dumbest sense. I mean, if we are gonna draw a fine line between casual and hardcore, I don't think of Madden as core.

Now, this is ignoring the retardedness of the whole deal/categorization.

I know what you mean. But if you look at the game itself, Madden is a game you can't really play well (or if at all) if you don't have "core" gaming skills.

Shit, sometimes you can't even play it well even if you're a hardcore gamer.

jimbo

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:
Someone should dig into that thread and pull a couple of choice quotes out it.

Actually you don't even have to go back that far. You can find some good ones in the recent thread about the 360 doubling in sales.

This is one of my favorites:
Zophar said:
My local Best Buy is telling a different story. There are stacks and stacks of 360s that have barely moved an inch in weeks while the PS3s on shelves number 0-2 every time I go in there with tons of empty space for more to be shelved.

davepoobond said:
so madden nfl sold like crap on wii...what does that mean? our definition of "casual" players last gen do not own a wii but own a ps3 or 360, apparently. wii just has some weird subsect of "casual" that is seemingly unknown but appears to have a huge population count

It means that it didnt appeal to the audience, for whatever reason. Tiger Woods always sells best on Wii.
OR
Madden has a subset hardcore community who want the best they can get from the franchise. They are a dedicated bunch who devote themselves and play it on the most high fidelity hardware.

I know Madden is too complicated for me, maybe it is for people outside the circle of core Madden players as well.

Hcoregamer00

Grecco said:
Possibly. But theres also the fact that games are front loaded and get the bulk of their sales from their first week and first day on market.

TOV reminds me of another hardly advertised B Caliber RPG on the X360 that came at the end of August. Blue Dragon.

Vesperia is hardly a "B Calibur" RPG.

Namco's handling of the series ensures that it is a quality franchise that will always sell like shit. After all, they never released the DS iterations which would have kept the name alive in the Nintendo userbase until Dawn of the New World comes out.

Don't even get me started on how they handled Dawn of the New World, they didn't even give the game a budget and a Tales Studio to back it up.

_Angelus_

Banned
jimbo said:

84607723_9ee59df16f.jpg

Eteric Rice

Hcoregamer00 said:
Vesperia is hardly a "B Calibur" RPG.

Namco's handling of the series ensures that it is a quality franchise that will always sell like shit. After all, they never released the DS iterations which would have kept the name alive in the Nintendo userbase until Dawn of the New World comes out.

Don't even get me started on how they handled Dawn of the New World, they didn't even give the game a budget and a Tales Studio to back it up.

Hopefully they handle the next main Tales game (supposed to be on the Wii I believe) better than they did the ToS spin-off.

snesfreak said:
My pathetic attempt at making a gif

yamauchi-1.gif
Solid .gif but needs more Too Human.

360 and PS3 are tied for the lead this year 4 months to 4 months. Funny how Madden is suppose to be the biggest sales release of the year and its the first time in 27 months the industry doesn't hit double digit percent growth, hmmmm.

Go SCIV, still in top ten that is surprising.

The Wii games in the middle makes me sick, get out of my HD gaming with that garbage.

Too Human, broke the top ten, which is surprising but it will be gone by next month.

Next month with the 360 price drop will make things fun :D.

jax (old)

Banned
so too human = bomb? I thought it would - not making top 10 xboxlive for a major xbox360 game = ominous of its sales. The press + feedback so far does NOT suggest legs. Makes me happy. :D 4 years in the making..etc etc. I doubt it'll make back its budget.

andthebeatgoeson

Eteric Rice said:
Indeed.

Really, thinking about it and actually looking at the game, there's really no real reason to buy the Wii version over the 360 or PS3 version. It doesn't help that they added that retarded shit to the cover of the game.

I think that Soccer game from Konami (I think it was from Konami), had the right idea in terms of making a game for the Wii. EA on the other hand, is clueless.

I really don't know if EA will ever get it right. The people that actually control the money flow seem to think that it "has to appeal to kids hurr!" They're not interested in trying to get it right on the Wii.
But I'm not sure if EA is getting anything 'wrong'. Yeah, they are not hitting the sweet spot but how do things compare to the 'PS2' months of August? If sales are up, then they are doing what the consumer wants: hi-def Madden.

I do agree that they are NOT capitalizing on Wii, in some ways. They get some parts of Tiger right and miss in some areas.

jax (old)

Banned
jimbo said:
WHY?

1. The 360 JUST outsold it for August, a month prior to a price drop that was basically known about.
2.The 360 just had a price drop, so September is a given.
3. The price drop will last longer than September and will carry on into the holiday season.
4. The 360 has arguably the stronger overall fall line-up, especially when it comes to selling power.
5. GOW2 launches in November, arguably the biggest 360 game other than Halo.

What is your reasoning for thinking that?

thing about the 10k difference, PS3 costs a whole lot more. 10k isn't too bad. Next month with the pricedrop in full effect WILL be interesting. The thing to note will be whether

PS3 stays consistent despite the 360 being cheaper.

jimbo

Banned
Grecco said:

It is in a way. They both did great in Japan and bad in the US. But BD was more of a failure in that aspect than ToV. BD had a higher budget and more marketing in the US I believe.

ToV isn't the type of game that people rush to the store to get its first day in the US. I know the franchise has a long history, but i see it selling more along the lines of sleeper hits in the US. Meaning lower sales initially, but longer legs as people find out about it and see it on store shelves.

Minsc

Gold Member
Segata Sanshiro said:
Yes, I'm aware of that as I've been using broadband for nearly 10 years. It's even speedier in Japan!

However, his gifs slow down the actual hardware I'm on, which is a brand-new Macbook. But hey, my fault. I know as well as anyone that NPD threads aren't about discussion, they're about posting funny pictures and gifs.

Is there a reason why Safari plays gifs at around 1/4th the actual framerate, or is that just a Mac thing? It gets annoying at times, when trying to watch a 15 second gif takes around 1 minute. Have you tried running the gifs through firefox on a Mac? Of course, none of this happens on a PC, so I rather enjoy the Star Trek gifs.

Madden continues to sell rather nicely, year after year, and some surprising bumps in software sales on a couple Wii titles (Mario Kart especially).

Hcoregamer00

Eteric Rice said:
Hopefully they handle the next main Tales game (supposed to be on the Wii I believe) better than they did the ToS spin-off.

It better be.

They should give it a large budget, have Team Destiny or Team Symphonia work on it, and then market it to hell.

At the very least, it will do as well as Tales of Symphonia, since tales games only sell on Nintendo consoles in the USA.

jimbo said:
It is in a way. They both did great in Japan and bad in the US. But BD was more of a failure in that aspect than ToV. BD had a higher budget and more marketing in the US I believe.

ToV isn't the type of game that people rush to the store to get its first day in the US. I know the franchise has a long history, but i see it selling more along the lines of sleeper hits in the US. Meaning lower sales initially, but longer legs as people find out about it and see it on store shelves.

Hopefully with Vesperia, good word of mouth will produce more sales.

With the reviews of Infinite Undiscovery much lower than most people predicted, hopefully more people will consider Vesperia as an alternative purchase. Granted, it has pretty "animu" art that doesn't appeal to the Final Fantasy crowd.

>_>

just tray

This thread lacks the usual people in it. Maybe if the PS3 had outsold the 360 by 55 units we would see the MGS avatars and this thread would be more bitter.Kidding

Grecco

jimbo said:

More Marketting? Unless your talking about the Blue Dragon Anime a year later on Cartoon Network?

Both had the same type of advertising push, print ads. Both are "Kiddy" looking rpgs (And before the Tales fans start throwing tomatos notice its in "") These type of rpgs just dont atract the US Xbox consumer. Notice how the "Mature" looking Lost Odessy did way better. I dont see Tales doing anything substantial in the US. Look for Infinite Undiscovery and Last Remnant, and Star Ocean to do much better

jimbo

Banned
Jax said:
thing about the 10k difference, PS3 costs a whole lot more. 10k isn't too bad. Next month with the pricedrop in full effect WILL be interesting. The thing to note will be whether

PS3 stays consistent despite the 360 being cheaper.

I would hope the PS3 at least stays consistent or sells more in the holiday season. Why would that be a thing to note? The only thing interesting about next month will be wether the 360 can get close to outselling the Wii. It WILL outsell the PS3. No one SHOULD be surprised about that, especially after August NPD.

Firestorm

Grecco said:
If you mean NOT advertised instead of hardly advertised I'd agree. Well, I don't agree that it's a B calibre RPG. It's an A for quality, but B is the way it's looked at because of Namco's handling of the series.

Hcoregamer00

Grecco said:
Both had the same type of advertising push, print ads. Both are "Kiddy" looking rpgs (And before the Tales fans start throwing tomatos notice its in "") These type of rpgs just dont atract the US Xbox consumer. Notice how the "Mature" looking Lost Odessy did way better. I dont see Tales doing anything substantial in the US. Look for Infinite Undiscovery and Last Remnant, and Star Ocean to do much better

That's true in some respects.

My question is this, will this appeal to the PS3 userbase since they are getting a big budget Cell Shaded RPG in November. After all, if Valkyria does poorly in the states, then Namco would be justified in keeping Vesperia onto one console.

Speevy said:
games rated 9+?

Damn, then what is Infinite Undiscovery?

:lol

Top Bottom