• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin’ |OT| When Russo Shoots, He Shoots To Kill

Toki767

It's called a rematch clause. It's one of the most basic things in wrestling.

It's not like Rock ever got his rematch against Cena when he lost the title. Not that I want to see it, but I'm sure when Reigns beats Lesnar, there isn't going to be a rematch either.

I remember Wrestlemania 30 was the night where Undertaker let someone over, All of Evolution put someone over, and Cena doing complete dick and looked like one coming out of it. Everyone said it.

Don't believe me? Go to that Wrestlemania thread. I'm not joking.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
You can complain about Bray's promos being about nonsense all day long. But he delivers those lines with confidence. He never looks out of place. He commits to the gimmick, and he's awesome when you listen to him in the ring. It's one of his best traits is his screaming orders in the ring. I remember when he gave Big E the Sister Abigail and you could hear him screaming, "GET UP!" which was the 'Bray is Gonna Kill You' night.

And you know what? Name one other heel, other than Triple H(not an active wrestler) and Stephanie(again, not an active wrestler) in the current product that can deliver their promos with that confidence. I'm not talking about people who are faces who could be heels like Mark Henry. I'm talking current heels.

It's not like Rock ever got his rematch against Cena when he lost the title. Not that I want to see it, but I'm sure when Reigns beats Lesnar, there isn't going to be a rematch either.

Like most things in wrestling, it's not internally consistent. But, this isn't something new Vince thought up to keep Cena in the main event.

Sephzilla

I remember Wrestlemania 30 was the night where Undertaker let someone over, All of Evolution put someone over, and Cena doing complete dick and looked like one coming out of it. Everyone said it.

Oh I remember. Younger talent got put over all night except for Appledough's match

Alucard

Banned
Guys who aren't really over:

-Orton (biggest non-reaction wrestler for me)
-Rollins (Ambrose is making him interesting, but Seth still needs mic help)
-Sheamus (has the ability but is super vanilla)

I think Curtis Axel is more over than Sheamus at this point.

NastyBook

Tonight was rough, guys.

We need That Motherfucker when times are rough.

tumblr_n7jci1JtnW1ql0k28o3_r1_250.gif

tumblr_n7jci1JtnW1ql0k28o1_250.gif

tumblr_n7jci1JtnW1ql0k28o7_r1_250.gif

tumblr_n7jci1JtnW1ql0k28o8_250.gif

tumblr_n3sebiilRE1tt2jjyo5_r1_250.gif
Bruh, that match between him and Ben Oit at Hogwild with all them bridges. This is the problem WWE has now. They got rid of damn near all the technical wrestlers. Can you imagine how sharp Cesaro would be going up against guys like Dean Malenko and Been Jua?

That was three plus hours of fucking garbage. WWE needs to be hitting home runs with their product right now with subscription renewals coming up, not whatever the fuck that was.

charsace

The guy in the shield that WWE thinks is ready to carry the belt looks worse than he usually does. I thought Reigns was mediocre, but that is too high a regard to hold him in. Reigns is in between bad and mediocre. Tonight he was just bad though.

Cena shits on Bray yet again. I still lol at the people who said Cena was going to elevate Bray. He took a potential Monster Heel with all around talent and killed his momentum. Then as Bray is building back up Cena shits on him again in a match that proves nothing because John literally buried him to end their feud. WWE must not want to have a guy take the Undertaker's spot.

You can complain about Bray's promos being about nonsense all day long. But he delivers those lines with confidence. He never looks out of place. He commits to the gimmick, and he's awesome when you listen to him in the ring. It's one of his best traits is his screaming orders in the ring. I remember when he gave Big E the Sister Abigail and you could hear him screaming, "GET UP!" which was the 'Bray is Gonna Kill You' night.

And you know what? Name one other heel, other than Triple H(not an active wrestler) and Stephanie(again, not an active wrestler) in the current product that can deliver their promos with that confidence. I'm not talking about people who are faces who could be heels like Mark Henry. I'm talking current heels.

Sorry, like I said, to me, Bray sounds like a guy reading bad poetry. I don't even blame him. Kevin Sullivan and Jake Roberts. Hell, even Raven said just as goofy stuff. But, they weren't involved in modern WWE. I'm sure they'd sound silly, especially if say, there were pictures of them at WWE Fan Axxess happily posing with fans.

From everything I've read, Vince didn't want both 'Taker and Cena to lose at Wrestlemania. Since the change to Lesnar winning was relatively last minute, Cena had to win in his eyes. I disagree, but that was the rationale. But, I'm sure Cena personally went and asked to bury Bray.

Alucard

Banned

I actually don't think Bray's promos are nonsensical at all. He generally has a lot of substance, and he's incredibly compelling with how he delivers lines and his choice of words and images.

Remember when Bray beat Daniel Bryan at Rumble and he was super fucking hot and then got put in the Cena feud for Mania? lol You guys never learn with this stuff. There is no point in having hope anything different will happen. Cena has a good 10 more years left in him if not more. Few come out of a Cena feud and stay relevant.

Toki767

From everything I've read, Vince didn't want both 'Taker and Cena to lose at Wrestlemania. Since the change to Lesnar winning was relatively last minute, Cena had to win in his eyes. I disagree, but that was the rationale. But, I'm sure Cena personally went and asked to bury Bray.

I don't think Cena cares one way or another whether he wins or loses, but you gotta admit Cena has the clout to put someone over if he really wanted to.

RP912

Banned

I remember that night. It was like business as usual with him. You would think that maybe JUST MAYBE Bray would have gotten over which would have made sense...but lol.

Speaking of wm 30...it's like the fact that daniel bryan took out the authority solo and winning the damn belt doesn't even exist. Meanwhile the streak is etch in stone which to be fair still got me legit shook thinking about it but overall it was bryan's night.

Sephzilla

Remember when Bray beat Daniel Bryan at Rumble and he was super fucking hot and then got put in the Cena feud for Mania? lol You guys never learn with this stuff. There is no point in having hope anything different will happen. Cena has a good 10 more years left in him if not more. Few come out of a Cena feud and stay relevant.
I remember most of us cringing at Bray going against Cena

I don't think Cena cares one way or another whether he wins or loses, but you gotta admit Cena has the clout to put someone over if he really wanted to.

This isn't 1989 anymore. Nobody, not even really Cena, has clout. Especially at Wrestlemania. There are no other territories or national promotions to go too. Hell, Cena can't even get good pushes for his buddies (Cesaro, Big E, Evan Bourne).

But yeah, John Cena seems to be a company guy. Compared to the giant assholery that comprised the top stars of almost every other prior era in wrestling history, there are far worse things he could be.

Thorakai

This is what I like about him also. A lot of WWE wrestlers these days just lack delivery. You can give someone the best damn promo of all time but if it comes out like a high school kid reciting their presentation its worthless. On the face side of this I'm worried about Ambrose. I love his delivery and character. It would be a shame to see him burried because the WWE are convinced Reigns is the next top guy.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The guy in the shield that WWE thinks is ready to carry the belt looks worse than he usually does. I thought Reigns was mediocre, but that is too high a regard to hold him in. Reigns is in between bad and mediocre. Tonight he was just bad though.

Cena shits on Bray yet again. I still lol at the people who said Cena was going to elevate Bray. He took a potential Monster Heel with all around talent and killed his momentum. Then as Bray is building back up Cena shits on him again in a match that proves nothing because John literally buried him to end their feud. WWE must not want to have a guy take the Undertaker's spot.

There was a point with Bray and Cena where it did elevate Bray. It did make Bray look like a main eventer. It was that final push Bray needed to be an upper card guy. And Cena elevated him only to push him off to make sure Cena stayed on top. I don't even care that Cena won the feud. It's the idea, it's the failing of John Cena as a character, as a babyface, and he won't admit to it. He never EVER sells the ramifications of an angle.

This whole angle. The Kane angle. It was meant to make Cena act in ways he shouldn't. So Cena wins, but he was tempted. Ok great. WHERE WAS THAT ON RAW? It just vanished. John Cena literally gobbles up his opponents feud and discards it completely when he's done with it. There's never even a hint of what happened to Cena in his later feud. It makes the entire feud pointless because he didn't put them over, they're below him on the hierarchy, so it doesn't do anything for him but maintain his control.

Bray's great at promos. It's not really his fault he's got nothing to say. The last two of his feuds were aimless and completely shitty, and unfortunately that's been the last 6 months. Nothing he's ever done has ever lasted, even in the feuds he won. Like, with his feuds with Bryan, Kane, Kofi, etc

Of course, the main reason why I'm OK with this was that I was never that into the Wyatt's, aside from Luke Harper. Wyatt's a sub-standard Kevin Sullivan cosplayer who's a decent wrestler and Rowan is now just becoming a servicable wrestler. Let Harper branch off and boot people and you'll have a supporter. Let Wyatt continue to compose interviews that sound like the ramblings of a 14-year-old e-fedder with a wrestler named Gothik.

Ether boy

I remember most of us cringing at Bray going against Cena

Well yeah, Cena going into a feud with anyone is bad news for that other person. I wouldn't be surprised if they let him beat Brock at the ppv. They gotta get the briefcase away from Seth before Reigns wins the title at Mania.

Toki767

This isn't 1989 anymore. Nobody, not even really Cena, has clout. Especially at Wrestlemania. There are no other territories or national promotions to go too. Hell, Cena can't even get good pushes for his buddies (Cesaro, Big E, Evan Bourne).

But yeah, John Cena seems to be a company guy. Compared to the giant assholery that comprised the top stars of almost every other prior era in wrestling history, there are far worse things he could be.

I know Vince likes to say no one is bigger than the WWE, but the WWE is literally screwed without Cena at this point. They would let him put someone over if he really wanted to.

RBH

stingdvdclosera.jpg

stingbd406d.jpg

DISC 1

Blonde Sting WCW Wrestler Bringing the Game Up a Level

The Blade Runners vs. Bret Wayne Sawyer and Sean O'Reilly
UWF Power Pro Wrestling * April 1986

Sting & Rick Steiner vs. Mike Rotundo & Ron Simmons
NWA Southern Pro Wrestling * May 19, 1987

NWA World Heavyweight Championship
Ric Flair vs. Sting
NWA Pro Wrestling * January 2, 1988

On the Map

Sting vs. Stan Lane
Main Event * October 2, 1988

Sting vs. Butch Reed
Main Event * March 26, 1989

Superstar

NWA World Television Championship Match
Sting vs. Mike Rotundo
WCW World Championship Wrestling * April 1, 1989

Sting vs. Ron Simmons
WCW Power Hour * August 18, 1989

NWA World Television Championship
Sting vs. Great Muta
WCW Power Hour * September 1, 1989

Bleach Blonde Rivalry

NWA World Heavyweight Championship Match
Ric Flair vs. Sting
Great American Bash * July 7, 1990

Sting vs. Dutch Mantel
Main Event * September 2, 1990

DISC 2

Blonde Sting WCW Wrestler Face of WCW

Sting vs. Nikita Koloff
Clash of the Champions XIV * June 14, 1991

Sting & The Great Muta vs. The Steiner Brothers
WCW/New Japan Supershow II * January 4 1992

Vader Rivalry

Bounty Match
Sting vs. Van Vader
WCW WorldWide * February 9, 1992

Sting, Barry Windham, Ricky Steamboat & Dustin Rhodes vs. The Dangerous Alliance (Rick Rude, Larry Zbyszko, Arn Anderson & Bobby Eaton)
WCW World Championship Wrestling * February 22, 1992

Sting vs. Diamond Dallas Page
WCW Saturday Night * June 13, 1992

Sting vs. Barry Windham
WCW Saturday Night * February 6, 1993

Face Paint

Sting vs. Stunning Steve Austin
WCW Pro Wrestling * January 8, 1994

Viewers Choice Match
Sting vs. Ric Flair
WCW Nitro * November 6, 1995

Sting vs. Arn Anderson
WCW Nitro * July 8, 1996

Sting & "Macho Man" Randy Savage vs. The Nasty Boys
WCW Saturday Night * July 27, 1996

DISC 3

WCW Sting - The Crow The Crow

Sting Becomes Free Agent
WCW Nitro * October 21, 1996

WCW World Championship Match
Hollywood Hogan vs. Sting
Starrcade * December 28, 1997

Scorpion Death Lock

Sting & Lex Luger vs. Hulk Hogan & "Macho Man" Randy Savage
WCW Nitro * February 16, 1998

Sting vs. Kevin Nash
WCW Nitro * April 6, 1998

Sting vs. Scott Steiner
WCW Thunder * April 22 1998

Wolfpak

Sting & Kevin Nash vs. Harlem Heat
WCW Nitro * June 15, 1998

Sting & The Warrior vs. Bret "Hitman" Hart & Hollywood Hogan
WCW Nitro * October 12, 1998

Sting vs. Bret "Hitman" Hart
WCW Nitro * October 19, 1998

Rafters

Sting vs. "Macho Man" Randy Savage
WCW Nitro * June 7, 1999

WCW World Heavyweight Championship
Booker T vs. Sting
WCW Nitro * July 31, 2000

Best 2 out of 3 Falls Match
Sting vs. Jeff Jarrett
WCW Thunder * September 13, 2000

Sting, Booker T & Goldberg vs. Jeff Jarrett & KroniK
WCW Thunder * October 25, 2000

Sting vs. Ric Flair
WCW Nitro * March 26, 2001

BLU-RAY EXTRAS

– Blade Runners & Eddie Gilbert Interview
UWF • April 7, 1986

– NWA World Tag Team Championship Match
Sting & Barry Windham vs. Arn Anderson & Tully Blanchard
NWA Power Pro Wrestling • January 16, 1988

– “Ric Flair of the 80s”
NWA Pro Wrestling • February 26, 1988

– Sting wins PWI Most Popular Wrestler Award
Clash of the Champions IX • November 15, 1989

– Sting Imitates his Adversaries
WCW World Championship Wrestling • December 9, 1989

– “Horsemen Fever”
WCW World Championship Wrestling • January 20, 1990

– Sting and the Four Horsemen
WCW World Championship Wrestling • January 27, 1990

– Gordon Solie Interviews Sting
WCW WorldWide • February 10, 1990

– JR visits Sting in the Hospital
WCW World Championship Wrestling • February 17, 1990

– RoboCop Vignette
WCW WorldWide • April 28, 1990

– Wrestling Wrap-Up on Sting winning World Championship
WCW WorldWide • July 14, 1990

– Sting as World Champion
WCW WorldWide • July 21, 1990

– The Danger Zone with Sting
WCW Pro Wrestling • July 21, 1990

– Sting vs. Big Van Vader
WCW Saturday Night • October 15, 1994

– Sting & Hulk Hogan vs. The Bruise Brothers
WCW WorldWide • November 7, 1994

– Sting and Lex Luger in the Production Truck
WCW Nitro • August 5, 1996

– Sting joins the nWo Wolfpac
WCW Nitro • June 1, 1998

– Sting & Lex Luger vs. British Bulldog & Jim “The Anvil” Neidhart
WCW Nitro • June 29, 1998

– Sting’s Final Promo in WCW
WCW Nitro • March 26, 2001

charsace

He obviously does care. The story told by Edge and Jericho where Cena buries Barrett and how they talk about him in general speaks volumes about Cena.I really think he asks to work with a lot of his victims because he thinks they will make him look good. Cena is either mark for himself and/or a guy that is all about making himself look good and doesn't care about the other guys he works a feud with.

Sephzilla

Speaking of wm 30...it's like the fact that daniel bryan took out the authority solo and winning the damn belt doesn't even exist. Meanwhile the streak is etch in stone which to be fair still got me legit shook thinking about it but overall it was bryan's night.
There's a small bit of me that still thinks The Streak ending was Vince getting back at the fans for not accepting his vision of Orton versus Batista at WM30. That Taker loss took the life out of that building and really overshadowed Bryan's moment a fucking ton.

RP912

Banned
Bruh, that match between him and Ben Oit at Hogwild with all them bridges. This is the problem WWE has now. They got rid of damn near all the technical wrestlers. Can you imagine how sharp Cesaro would be going up against guys like Dean Malenko and Been Jua?

Dude I could go for fucking la parka right now in the wwe. It's like vince and dunn REALLY hate wrestling, the fans, and even the ring. It got to the point vince didn't want Wrestling to be in the WWE logo.

The irony of hating wrestling but push wcw on the network for subscriptions which was dedicated to wrestling.

Well, I don't disagree that the WWE has bad booking heels, that's always how they've worked. I'm not even getting into the territory days, but look at Hogan's run. The only two guys who didn't basically become midcard guys after their Hogan feud were Savage and Piper, two of the most charismatic human beings, let alone, wrestlers on the planet.

Even Ted DiBiase drifted down to a feud with Dusty, then his manservant and eventually becoming to a tag wrestler after the whole feud with Hogan was over. A heel getting pushed, then losing to the top guy, then drifting down the card is how wrestling was booked for decades.

The Austin/Rock era was different, simply because everybody was turning so much, and main event matches on TV were such a novelty, that it was exciting and new. Fifteen years later, main event matches are expected and made it impossible to go to the old ways without upsetting a large portion of the fans.

Well, I don't disagree that the WWE has bad booking heels, that's always how they've worked. I'm not even getting into the territory days, but look at Hogan's run. The only two guys who didn't basically become midcard guys after their Hogan feud were Savage and Piper, two of the most charismatic human beings, let alone, wrestlers on the planet.

Even Ted DiBiase drifted down to a feud with Dusty, then his manservant and eventually becoming to a tag wrestler after the whole feud with Hogan was over. A heel getting pushed, then losing to the top guy, then drifting down the card is how wrestling was booked for decades.

The Austin/Rock era was different, simply because everybody was turning so much, and main event matches on TV were such a novelty, that it was exciting and new. Fifteen years later, main event matches are expected and made it impossible to go to the old ways without upsetting a large portion of the fans.

Comparing Cena to Hogan is doing no favors to Cena. Atleast Hogan had the balls to change things up with a heel turn. Something Cena will never do.

RP912

Banned
He obviously does care. The story told by Edge and Jericho where Cena buries Barrett and how they talk about him in general speaks volumes about Cena.I really think he asks to work with a lot of his victims because he thinks they will make him look good. Cena is either mark for himself and/or a guy that is all about making himself look good and doesn't care about the other guys he works a feud with.

Can you blame him? He's not a good actor, he's not even the best rapper, and he failed at being a bodybuilder. Wrestling is all he have honestly. Cena reminds me of the paper champion in Rocky 5 that kept talking trash to rocky because he will never fit a true champion's shoes (Austin, Rock, Eddie, Brock, HBK, etc).

There's a small bit of me that still thinks The Streak ending was Vince getting back at the fans for not accepting his vision of Orton versus Batista at WM30. That Taker loss took the life out of that building and really overshadowed Bryan's moment a fucking ton.

We got examples of those two wrestling during the time bryan was out and yeah...that didn't get butts out of seats at all.

The booking of that Summerslam, that even Cena had admiited was a mistake, is the Gerstmanngate of the IWC. One mistake that validates every "Cena buries everyone" conspiracy in history, just like Gerstmangate is proof every games reviewer is taking bribes.

'Taker loss because he was broken down and can't do it anymore and wanted Lesnar to be the guy. Nothing more. If 'Taker was willing to go, he likely would've beat Lesnar and you guys would be complaining about something else

Dude I could go for fucking la parka right now in the wwe. It's like vince and dunn REALLY hate wrestling, the fans, and even the ring. It got to the point vince didn't want Wrestling to be in the WWE logo.

The irony of hating wrestling but push wcw on the network for subscriptions which was dedicated to wrestling.

Judging by the ratings, actual wrestling fans hate wrestling too. Also, WCW was not dedicated to the wrestling. They had time to fill and throwing 15 minute cruiserweight matches was a decent way to do it. I mean, unless you missed guys like Sid destroying the cruisers anytime they got close to the "real" roster.

But then again, I wasn't watching WCW with the rose colored glasses of nostalgia.

Comparing Cena to Hogan is doing no favors to Cena. Atleast Hogan had the balls to change things up with a heel turn. Something Cena will never do.

Hogan turned heel once there was a good angle, actual top faces to replace him, his merch sales were sagging, and he was getting a negative response from kids and adults.

If Hogan was getting Cena in 2014 level merch sales and drawing as well on the road as Cena is, he never would've turned heel in '96.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I also think that Hollywood Cena rumor is complete BS.

I've seen him on his little TV appearances. Dude can not act. If Hollywood wanted him, they would have gotten him years ago.

charsace

The booking of that Summerslam, that even Cena had admiited was a mistake, is the Gerstmanngate of the IWC. One mistake that validates every "Cena buries everyone" conspiracy in history, just like Gerstmangate is proof every games reviewer is taking bribes.

'Taker loss because he was broken down and can't do it anymore and wanted Lesnar to be the guy. Nothing more. If 'Taker was willing to go, he likely would've beat Lesnar and you guys would be complaining about something else

Judging by the ratings, actual wrestling fans hate wrestling too. Also, WCW was not dedicated to the wrestling. They had time to fill and throwing 15 minute cruiserweight matches was a decent way to do it. I mean, unless you missed guys like Sid destroying the cruisers anytime they got close to the "real" roster.

But then again, I wasn't watching WCW with the rose colored glasses of nostalgia.

He only admitted it was a mistake because fans were upset with the finish when the match ended. Other guys that have left the WWE have said Cena is an asshat. He also buried Alex Riley for talking back to him. Cena fucking buries a ton of guys except for a few exceptions. Cena doesn't or can't bury ME guys that have come before him, can't bury Orton or Batista because they have protection, and he doesn't bury Brock because Brock doesn't play games and dash his brains all over the locker room.

RP912

Banned

The funny thing about hogan turning heel is the fact that the fans loved him even more than when he was a face. He knew he was a dick and him becoming hollywood hogan was like a truth potion for who he really was.

Cena however won't let people see through his "hustle, loyality, and respect" gimmick. Instead he pushes it over 9000 as some sort of security blanket because he'll go down as a forgettable champion next to Lex Luger.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
He only admitted it was a mistake because fans were upset with the finish when the match ended. Other guys that have left the WWE have said Cena is an asshat. He also buried Alex Riley for talking back to him. Cena fucking buries a ton of guys except for a few exceptions. Cena doesn't or can't bury ME guys that have come before him, can't bury Orton or Batista because they have protection, and he doesn't bury Brock because Brock doesn't play games and dash his brains all over the locker room.

Brock also, unlike Cena, doesn't give a shit if he jobs as long as he gets paid. He's not a mark for his spot since he can go to other avenues to make money. And it helps that Cena will always be Brock's second place. Vince still sees Brock as the perfect wrestler he never got to keep.

Heroman

Banned
Can you blame him? He's not a good actor, he's not even the best rapper, and he failed at being a bodybuilder. Wrestling is all he have honestly. Cena reminds me of the paper champion in Rocky 5 that kept talking trash to rocky because he will never fit a true champion's shoes (Austin, Rock, Eddie, Brock, HBK, etc).

What is a true champion?

RP912

Banned

Dude they put more strength in the mid card division during the first hour than a whole year of raw combine. No nostalgia involved when a show is booked properly compared to the constant segments and 3 minute matches that end in dqs.

What? People in shoot promos are talking bad about a guy? I'm shocked! I guess it's also true Randy Savage fucked Stephanie McMahon because people have said that in shoots as well. There is no proof that Cena has chosen to bury people. Has he spoken up against dumb booking? No, and that is a fault of his.

Again. Don't blame Cena. Blame the actual guy in charge - Vince McMahon.

Top Bottom