• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin’ |OT| When Russo Shoots, He Shoots To Kill

NastyBook

Dude I could go for fucking la parka right now in the wwe. It's like vince and dunn REALLY hate wrestling, the fans, and even the ring. It got to the point vince didn't want Wrestling to be in the WWE logo.

The irony of hating wrestling but push wcw on the network for subscriptions which was dedicated to wrestling.
And the irony is that's the exact reason why I bought it, only to find out they don't have any fucking Nitros ready. But yeah, a La Parka in the WWE right now would save so many of the dead matches they trot out every Monday. Characters of color don't seem have a place in the WWE, though. They're trying with Stardust/Goldust, but the latter is a shell of his former self in terms of character.

Dude they put more strength in the mid card division during the first hour than a whole year of raw combine. No nostalgia involved when a show is booked properly compared to the constant segments and 3 minute matches that end in dqs.

Three minute matches that end in dq's and constant segments? That sounds like 1998 and 1999 WWF, otherwise known as the hottest wrestling product known in the history of mankind.

I loved midcard WCW matches. But, they weren't rating draws of any real measure. Maybe in the very beginning when the masked guys being flippy was novel, but the casual fan will choose the good storyline over the good match every single time.

Alucard

Banned
Dude they put more strength in the mid card division during the first hour than a whole year of raw combine. No nostalgia involved when a show is booked properly compared to the constant segments and 3 minute matches that end in dqs.

Someone needs to read Jericho's first book to get more insight into WCW's "booking."

cena going to hollywood is a dream inside of a dream but if it happens they're just going to use roman reigns to fill his spot. same set up for stories etc. just swap out cena for reigns. reigns sucks too.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The dark truth of the matter is there's very few truly great matches in that time period of WCW where Crow Sting existed. Just a lot of great marketing and skits that got over. I've always been incredibly harsh on WCW like... 97 onwards. I like Hollywood Hogan as a character, and I thought his matches were pretty decent since he was just old school heeling it up, but I was always more entertained by him playing the coward before the matches.

The matches themselves in the main event weren't really that great. Quality fell off after like 95. Even the great stuff with Malenko and Benoit and Eddie weren't long enough to matter. I think the only real great matches of that NWO era was like Booker/Benoit, Steiner/Goldberg(It was booked perfectly), uh Dragon/Mysterio.I think X-Pac and Flair had a good match?
Also,

http://www.kayfabenews.com/grown-man-hates-cena-reasons-hulkamaniac/

Ignore the last line because it's kind of dumb, but yeah. Aside from that. John Cena isn't appealing to you. Just like Hulk Hogan didn't appeal to the hardcore fans of Bob Backlund and Harley Race.

A fake news/satire site as an argument? I liked Hogan and Bret. Just because people don't like Cena doesn't mean they only like technical/straight laced wrestlers.

The dark truth of the matter is there's very few truly great matches in that time period of WCW where Crow Sting existed. Just a lot of great marketing and skits that got over. I've always been incredibly harsh on WCW like... 97 onwards. I like Hollywood Hogan as a character, and I thought his matches were pretty decent since he was just old school heeling it up, but I was always more entertained by him playing the coward before the matches.

The matches themselves in the main event weren't really that great. Quality fell off after like 95. Even the great stuff with Malenko and Benoit and Eddie weren't long enough to matter. I think the only real great matches of that NWO era was like Booker/Benoit, Steiner/Goldberg(It was booked perfectly), uh Dragon/Mysterio.I think X-Pac and Flair had a good match?

Eh, there lots of random Nitro matches and especially, a lot of random Saturday Night matches that are pretty good. Even though, going back, some of the stuff doesn't age well because we're used to a couple of three star matches on almost every Raw.

RP912

Banned
Three minute matches that end in dq's and constant segments? That sounds like 1998 and 1999 WWF, otherwise known as the hottest wrestling product known in the history of mankind.

I loved midcard WCW matches. But, they weren't rating draws of any real measure. Maybe in the very beginning when the masked guys being flippy was novel, but the casual fan will choose the good storyline over the good match every single time.

Well I'm kind of a old school wrestling fan anyway. I prefer meaningful feuds over nonstop storylines with little to none wrestling. Which is why I barely got into the attitude era around that time. Honestly the era peaked during 96-97 and just became overkill afterwards leading into wcw/ecw's demise.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
This is killing me
uwTkLRN.gif

Needs to get use elsewhere

RP912

Banned
Someone needs to read Jericho's first book to get more insight into WCW's "booking."

I actually had that book but lost it with my other wrestling books :/. I read the wrestlecrap wcw book and I know wcw wasn't perfect either at booking but the charm of the product drew me in.

Hell I would sit through the russo years when they come out on the network. Maybe I'm crazy :/.

Sephzilla

Happy Birthday Vince McMahon!

Only 69. He could theoretically do this shit for at least 30 more years!!
This explains everything. Vince's gift to himself was a Raw booked like the Hogan Era complete with Cena recaps every 30 minutes and ending with Cena burying three heels.

That was a brutal Raw. The only part worth watching was Lesnar spittin hot fire in another great taped interview.

Dean Ambrose, save us.

I didn't like it because he blatantly lied about nearly shedding a tear. Homicidal Skynet creations do not have the capacity for tears, which means he was appealing to the Smark™ Crowd for pandering reasons.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't like it because he blatantly lied about nearly shedding a tear. Homicidal Skynet creations do not have the capacity for tears, which means he was appealing to the Smark™ Crowd for pandering reasons.

zMcGxbd.gif

Sephzilla

You misunderstood. It's more like Terminator 2, now he understands why you cry

JesseEwiak, can you mentor me to be as smart as you?

I'm not smart. I'm just not emotionally connected to who is being buried this week. Good wrestling is good wrestling, whether it's in the main event or on WWE Main Event or a small indy show in Kalamazoo.

I'm sorry I don't get sucked into the same arguments I did when the names were Hogan, Benoit, and Guerrero instead of Cena, Bryan,and Cesaro.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
I'm hoping Stardust and Goldust win the tag titles and at Rumble, we see Cody take Stardust in a heel role for a breakup. This could lead to a Stardust vs Goldust match at Mania to end the storyline and should have a newly built up heel with Cody again.

Manbig

I really need to wash out the taste that the main event of that RAW left in my mouth. Does anyone know a reliable place where I can buy DVDs or BluRays of the recent NJPW stuff? If there aren't selling any hard copies in the states, then I'm down to pay to watch an official stream. I need to show more support for good quality pro wrestling.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
That was a brutal Raw. The only part worth watching was Lesnar spittin hot fire in another great taped interview.

Dean Ambrose, save us.

Who needs Dean Ambrose when you have Seth Rollins? I'm disappointed in the lack of appreciation I see for this god tier heel work by Seth-kun.

Vylash

well this raw was a reminder that i need to take a break from non nxt things for a while, maybe until the rumble or something, i'd follow other promotions if i wasn't so lazy

I'm as big a detractor as any from the Wyatt-Cena stuff, but even closely comparing Cena to Hogan in terms of politics is fucking laughable. Hogan would have never done the job to Brock like Cena did at a similar point in his career. Hogan is notorious for being absolutely shitty about putting guys over. Hell, look at the stuff with Shawn. Agreed to do two matches so he wouldn't have to job, then backed out after he was booked to win the first one. The only reason Hogan turned is because he had to. Cena doesn't have to, so he hasn't. Now, that's not to say Cena is a saint at all, but he's damn sure not Hogan.

I just got back from Raw. Man people love Roman Reigns. The crowd went crazy.

I thought the show was pretty great. The only problem I had was Cena whooping Wyatt.

Terminators have emotions too, Beef.

p5rqpevkff.gif

Yup. If I cared, I could dig and find some RSPW posts about Hogan in the mid and late 90's that make this thread seem like puppies and rainbows. It's how the IWC works.

I still hate Hogan though. This fire burns....always.

I'll never praise Cena unless he retires from Tv, takes over Creative™ and brings about a new golden age of US professional wrestling. 15 years can't erase what he's done to This Business™.

Showaddy

I'm as big a detractor as any from the Wyatt-Cena stuff, but even closely comparing Cena to Hogan in terms of politics is fucking laughable. Hogan would have never done the job to Brock like Cena did at a similar point in his career. Hogan is notorious for being absolutely shitty about putting guys over. Hell, look at the stuff with Shawn. Agreed to do two matches so he wouldn't have to job, then backed out after he was booked to win the first one. The only reason Hogan turned is because he had to. Cena doesn't have to, so he hasn't. Now, that's not to say Cena is a saint at all, but he's damn sure not Hogan.

Hogan never screwed you as thoroughly as Cena does though. You jobbed to Hogan and then he let you go; he didn't wreck your gimmick & character for 3 months straight, wait for you to be built back up again somewhat and then come back for more and wreck you all over again.

Top Bottom