• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deeku

you drastically overestimate the technological wonders of japan, especially outside their major cities

i got asked to fax something to someone the other day, for god's sake
It's more efficient man. Like, you gotta print an email, faxes got you covered!

Axiom

Just a quick question for anyone that has the Jackbox on PS4, can you use the multiplayer without a US Playstation Plus account?

We were really looking forward to trying it out tonight

I couldn't believe how much they hated credit cards in Japan.
Hah. Tell me about it. One time in Tokyo the wife and I were hungry, it was dark, had about 500¥ between us and spent over 90 minutes in the rain trying to find an ATM (using Google Maps) that would give us money. That was enjoyable.

Another time in, I think, Takayama we hunted around for a couple of hours for the post office, and withdrew $5000 worth between us since we knew we'd be a few days without access to an ATM. And then I left my sunglasses in the post office. And they recognised me as soon as I walked in.

Felt totally safe with a few grand in my pocket, too.

Jintor

Not in combinis!

It's been a while since I've had to reinstall windows, is it better to format the drive first or just to reinstall over the top and format as part of the install process?

Hah. Tell me about it. One time in Tokyo the wife and I were hungry, it was dark, had about 500¥ between us and spent over 90 minutes in the rain trying to find an ATM (using Google Maps) that would give us money. That was enjoyable.

Another time in, I think, Takayama we hunted around for a couple of hours for the post office, and withdrew $5000 worth between us since we knew we'd be a few days without access to an ATM. And then I left my sunglasses in the post office. And they recognised me as soon as I walked in.

Felt totally safe with a few grand in my pocket, too.

Yeah. There was literally one atm in the whole ski town we we're in, absolutely insane when nowhere took credit cards. Though there are atms in 7/11 which is what I eneded up using in Tokyo.

Japan really feels like a safe place.

I didn't have a card to use in Japan, and I never made it through my wad of cash. But learning that ATMs have opening hours was enough to tip me off that Japan only cares for cash.

I just hate having cash left over at the end of a trip, hence why I love using a credit card. Fuck currency exchanges, haven't had to use one in over 5 years and want to keep it that way.

Dryk

I just hate having cash left over at the end of a trip, hence why I love using a credit card. Fuck currency exchanges, haven't had to use one in over 5 years and want to keep it that way.
When I went Japan I had half cash, half electronic. I only spent half the cash and then the exchange rate went crazy so it was ages until I exchanged it back. The electronic half is still sitting on a cash passport waiting for me to withdraw it.

When I went Japan I had half cash, half electronic. I only spent half the cash and then the exchange rate went crazy so it was ages until I exchanged it back. The electronic half is still sitting on a cash passport waiting for me to withdraw it.

I'd be checking the terms and conditions for the cash passport as I'm pretty sure you get charged monthly fees after a while.

Working away from home makes me feel like I'm living under a rock except for every other weekend, so imagine my surprise when I load up the eShop and see that Mario Galaxy 2 is on sale for the price of a cheap DVD.

I bought it because holy crap $13 for SMG2, but I must ask, since when have Wii games been available on the eShop? Also, does the game run in Wii mode or native Wii U mode (i.e. Will I have to hook up my sensor bar?)?

Jintor

Working away from home makes me feel like I'm living under a rock except for every other weekend, so imagine my surprise when I load up the eShop and see that Mario Galaxy 2 is on sale for the price of a cheap DVD.

I bought it because holy crap $13 for SMG2, but I must ask, since when have Wii games been available on the eShop? Also, does the game run in Wii mode or native Wii U mode (i.e. Will I have to hook up my sensor bar?)?

Since Thursday

you need the sensorbar

Runs like a WiiU game but it's straight up just a ROM. Low def, old controls, etc.

$13 for first week, $26 from then on.

Next week is Donkey Kong Returns I think? Meh. The week after that is Metroid Prime Trilogy. FOR $13. Insane. I can hear the eBay sellers crying from here heh.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag

for this you do, for DK you won't

the controls available are based on what the original game was made for.. so it's just wii mote and nun chuck for smg2, but DK will be gamepad iirc.

Tommy DJ

Not in combinis!

It's been a while since I've had to reinstall windows, is it better to format the drive first or just to reinstall over the top and format as part of the install process?

Not entirely sure what you're asking.

Anyway...when I worked at a computer store, we always formatted the OS partition/disk during the installation process where you boot from the Windows installation media.

hidys

I wish I had of spent more time on my picks but mine were:

FKA Twigs - Two Weeks
Future Islands - Seasons (Waiting on You)
Flying Lotus - Coronus the Terminator
Sun Kil Moon - Carissa
Sun Kil Moon - Ben's My Friend
Run The Jewels - Close Your Eyes (And Count to Fuck) BEST TRACK
Run The Jewels - Lie Cheat Steal
Swans - A Little God in My Hands
Ariel Pink - Put Your Number in my Phone
Aphex Twin - minipops 67 [120.2] (source field mix)

I really wish I had put in the Against Me! track Transgender Dysphoria Blues.

Edit: Also Todd Terje's Delorean Dynamite.

Also I am a terrible person and put money on Taylor Swift to get number 1 this year (it seems like a decently well organized campaign so I thought fuck it)

Since Thursday

you need the sensorbar
Ah. I really need to visit Gaming side more often.

Runs like a WiiU game but it's straight up just a ROM. Low def, old controls, etc.

$13 for first week, $26 from then on.

Next week is Donkey Kong Returns I think? Meh. The week after that is Metroid Prime Trilogy. FOR $13. Insane. I can hear the eBay sellers crying from here heh.
MP trilogy for $13 would be amazing. Do they have any plans to release GCN games any time soon?

for this you do, for DK you won't

the controls available are based on what the original game was made for.. so it's just wii mote and nun chuck for smg2, but DK will be gamepad iirc.
So, if the original game was Classic Controller compatible, you get Game pad support? I could live with that. Any word on whether DKC will still do the obnoxious shake-to-roll thing?

Shaneus

radaxian

The Wii U gamepad actually has a sensor bar built into it too.

From Nintendo:

Q: Does the Wii U GamePad have a Sensor Bar?
A: Yes. When using the Wii U GamePad in Wii Mode, the Sensor Bar, located at the top of the Wii U GamePad, is turned on.

If the icon on the Wii Menu is erratic, disappears and reappears, or is not functioning as expected, it may indicate that the Sensor Bar on your TV Is conflicting with the Sensor Bar on the Wii U Gamepad. Moving the Wii U GamePad, or disconnecting the Sensor Bar connected to the TV, may resolve this issue.

Q: What is the recommended operating distance when using the Wii U GamePad with a Wii Remote?
A: Between one and three feet.

No idea how it works in practice, probably very hard to use.

I just tried this with SMG. If you use the Gamepad as the screen, you can also use the gamepad as a sensor in lieu of a sensor bar.

But for TV play, you need the bar.

Even on the Gamepad Screen, Wii games are somewhat blurry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom