• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quasar

I nearly bought a Switch today with that JB deal. But then I realised I have too much to play already and will buy one early next year. Best to wait.

I was just in fear of it being out of stock when I want it near Christmas. So now I have one barely used as I continue to play games elsewhere.

Champion.

Honestly, I'm inclined to believe the average gaffer can't read
My concern is that they can read something, and just blindly accept everything they've read at face value. Nuance and subtlety are completely lost on them. They can parse a sentence at its most basic level, but seem completely unable to analyse it beyond that point.

I suspect this is why we have an anti-vaccination movement, Trump as president of the USA, etc.

Fredescu

Quasar

It's beyond funny that after all of this constant talk about how Australia is the biggest pirate market for game of thrones, people who went to the effort of paying for it couldn't watch it, but pirates could. And in better quality. This was their big moment, and they blew it.

Well Foxtel is hardly alone in getting crushed by the number of viewers. That of course doesn't explain why they aren't streaming 1080p.

Given they are charging a hefty premium in the scheme of things, they can't really fall back on the excuse iView (and SBS on Demand) has for its low quality streams.

hirokazu

Well Foxtel is hardly alone in getting crushed by the number of viewers. That of course doesn't explain why they aren't streaming 1080p.
It's likely they don't have the server capacity or bandwidth to handle the load on day one if HD is available, so they only serve it in SD until that demand clears after those 24 hours. It makes no sense otherwise that the live simulcast stream is in HD, then on demand is SD-only until the next day.

Pretty shitty and not worth paying for since the whole point is to be able to watch it as soon as convenient, which, I'd wager for most people, is within that first day of availability to avoid spoilers.

If pirates can do a better job of delivering your content on launch day than you can, then it's time you sat down and had a good think about your infrastructure and scalability. I don't think the notion that other people also screwed up really absolves you of screwing up yourselves.

Foxtel needs to come to the same realisation that Apple did, which is that pirates are their direct competitors. Right now their competition is offering a product that is both better and cheaper; Foxtel will always struggle to compete on price (not that piracy is free with internet, storage, and device charges), so quality is where they need to be the leaders. Their product needs to be both better, and easier. And it also needs to work. People will pay for those things, as Apple demonstrated.

If pirates can do a better job of delivering your content on launch day than you can, then it's time you sat down and had a good think about your infrastructure and scalability. I don't think the notion that other people also screwed up really absolves you of screwing up yourselves.

Foxtel needs to come to the same realisation that Apple did, which is that pirates are their direct competitors. Right now their competition is offering a product that is both better and cheaper; Foxtel will always struggle to compete on price (not that piracy is free with internet, storage, and device charges), so quality is where they need to be the leaders. Their product needs to be both better, and easier. And it also needs to work. People will pay for those things, as Apple demonstrated.

I don't know why its difficult for Foxtel to do this when Sky in the UK manages to do the same thing without issue in this thing they call Now TV. Its how I'm watching GoT and also catching up withe the latest seasons of Veep and Silicon Valley. It's also insanely easy to get three months cheaply and in the end I just got 2 years of it as part of my latest mobile phone package. And it has a decent app that works on Apple TV.

Same fucking parent company.

Well Apple people are notoriously easy to part with money when Apple speaks.
All people are easy to part with their money when offered a product that's high quality, simple to use, and reasonably priced. It's not rocket science! Apple (iTunes), Spotify, Netflix... they understand this. How is it such a mystery to Foxtel?

Dmax3901

Thinking I'm gonna buy a 1070/1080 with my tax return. Anyone thinking of selling? Getting sick of the mining prices and OCAU/Gumtree/Ebay/Facebook Groups aren't inspiring much confidence.

Jintor

Is anyone else feeling second hand depression from the political situation in the us

I can't imagine what yanks feel with that shit actually directly affecting them. But that someone so patently, stupidly idiotic can not only be in the White house but also basically be unable to be removed is just incredibly depressing

Dmax3901

It's terrible, but the stuff that gets me real down is seeing how prevalent comments/posts/tweets from MRA/racist/homophobic/transphobic people are. Now that's where the real void lies.

Is anyone else feeling second hand depression from the political situation in the us

I can't imagine what yanks feel with that shit actually directly affecting them. But that someone so patently, stupidly idiotic can not only be in the White house but also basically be unable to be removed is just incredibly depressing

Shit has been getting worse and worse for decades there. Thankfully we have time to change direction here since we are like always 10 years behind the US. No signs of that happening though :(

Recreat3

And what about that australian woman shot by the police with no real explanation as of yet. Jeez those cops need to be less gun-happy..its insane.

Hmm dont know if i shpuld get splatoon 2. Barely played the first. I skipped ARMS but another game for switch would be nice. Is there a solid sp campaign?

hirokazu

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1408398

ROMs of the big games were released. The kernel was dumped recently. While Nintendo has patched some exploits, at this point it seems only a matter of time.
I kinda feel bad about this. They built a lot of goodwill making Switch region free and all such that there's nowhere near as much incentive to go with this as before, but it's gonna get broken open and cheating and piracy will likely be rampant.

I hope it doesn't affect their decision to maintain region free systems in the future and they'll be able to keep it mostly at bay with patches.

I kinda feel bad about this. They built a lot of goodwill making Switch region free and all such that there's nowhere near as much incentive to go with this as before, but it's gonna get broken open and cheating and piracy will likely be rampant.

I hope it doesn't affect their decision to maintain region free systems in the future and they'll be able to keep it mostly at bay with patches.

I don't think being region free had any bearing on this. They were region locked so they could discriminate on price, not to prevent hacking.

This is more because of the setup of the Switch compared to the 3DS, as well as the most intelligent group of hackers looking at the Switch, rather than it being region free.

And what about that australian woman shot by the police with no real explanation as of yet. Jeez those cops need to be less gun-happy..its insane.
It's horrific. Personally, I tend to think it's a byproduct of their ridiculous gun laws. Can you imagine being a police officer in a country where just about anyone can be packing? I think any human being would be jumpy in that sort of environment, so it's inevitable that these sorts of fuck ups are going to happen and innocent lives will be lost. A lot is made of the draconian attitude of police in the USA, and I've often thought that it flows from them having to take the view that everyone they meet is potentially carrying a gun and prepared to kill them.

Sadly it's probably well past the point where gun reform can really help given the massive proliferation over there. Not that I expect gun reforms anyway, given their political environment. Whether the cop responsible gets thrown in prison or not, I don't expect any of the underlying causes to be addressed and it's inevitable that this sort of thing will happen again and again :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom