• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stackboy

In the true Ausgaf fashion there must always be one shilling for Stan, this time it will be me.

Forgot I signed up to trial Stan. Never used it but got charged this month lol. Will watch Ash vs Evil Dead before it's up though, good excuse. Shame it runs like shit for me, unlike Netflix.

I'm glad Stan exists, I jumped on it when it first kicked off in Australia. Had to stream it through a chromecast and that didn't work great. Then Netflix kicked off in Aus and I made the jump. Ash vs Evil Dead is super good Rep!

If I couldn't region hop, I would probably get Stan as well.

Off to target to pick up UC4.

Today is going to be a long day, can't wait to play it.

Fingers crossed JB mailed my copy out early enough yesterday for it to arrive today. lol Auspost though, should be here Friday when I'm in Melbourne :/

Stan and Presto both have absolutely dogshit players.

Yeah Presto has 9 months free atm which is tempting but my mate who tried it didn't have nice things to say about it technically.

Getflix is still working flawlessly for me so I've been super lucky that I can watch a wide array of stuff. I originally used my Stan 3 month sub that came with PS+ to watch Ash but wanted to wait until the season was done then completely forgot lol.

Fredescu

The wife and I watched two seasons of Transparent on Stan during that PS4 trial. At the start of the trial, the PS4 player had a problem where the first thing you watched played fine but the second one wouldn't start and you'd have to force close the app and start it again to watch another episode. That seems to be fixed now though. We don't watch enough TV to keep a sub.

I might even get Foxtel now considering their response to losing the EPL was to have six dedicated soccer channels for literally everything else.

jambo

I'm pretty sure at one point we had Netflix, Hulu, Stan and Presto, with the last two being thanks to free trials.

I think because of the Foxtel deal we actually got a full 12 months of Presto.

Quasar

Stan and Presto both have absolutely dogshit players.

Well Stan has been fine for me from my trial (I used iOS and PS4 I think). Never tried Presto as it was SD/Stereo only at the time. Though browsing around the AndroidTV app its pretty clunky and ugly.

Honestly though both my Amazon and Netflix accounts sit mostly unused. I much more use catchup services (well iView and SBS) and Animelab/Crunchroll.

Well Stan has been fine for me from my trial (I used iOS and PS4 I think). Never tried Presto as it was SD/Stereo only at the time. Though browsing around the AndroidTV app its pretty clunky and ugly.

Honestly though both my Amazon and Netflix accounts sit mostly unused. I much more use catchup services (well iView and SBS) and Animelab/Crunchroll.

Yeah Animelab is fantastic. Always runs at high quality for me, used it for years now.

jambo

Time for round 3 of this shit show

Ysc2mJSl.jpg

Quasar

Nope, power supply is internal which is great.

Yeah, well I tried a different cord. Made no difference. And after the 10hr backup I did a full initialise which was a hassle as it does two reboots during that an my PS4 failed to reboot itself both times.

So its boxed up. One thing I also noticed when boxing it up is on the right had side of the case along the shiny ribbon part theres a bit of a bulge there. I assume that's not by design as I never noticed it before. Makes me wonder if internal heat did that.

MoonGred

So envious of the people that can keep region hopping. I just discovered Peep Show on the US Netflix, and was hooked from the first episode, 5 episodes later it all fell apart and haven't been able to switch regions since.

I was talking to a guy at work who even refused to use the 9 month Presto trial. Is it really that bad? I wouldn't mind watching A Penny Dreadful, but that service seems to be plagued by technical issues which would do my head in.

Unrelated: the house is nearly ready and now need to start looking at an ISP, any recommendations? It's got FTTP, I'd like it as fast as possible with a large to no data cap.

dity

Beck when I was on Netflix I couldn't even tell if I was region hopping or not because they had removed the region info from the app I was using.

Yassssssss. Uncharted 4 just arrived. JB came through with release day shipping, will use again.

So envious of the people that can keep region hopping. I just discovered Peep Show on the US Netflix, and was hooked from the first episode, 5 episodes later it all fell apart and haven't been able to switch regions since.

I was talking to a guy at work who even refused to use the 9 month Presto trial. Is it really that bad? I wouldn't mind watching A Penny Dreadful, but that service seems to be plagued by technical issues which would do my head in.

Unrelated: the house is nearly ready and now need to start looking at an ISP, any recommendations? It's got FTTP, I'd like it as fast as possible with a large to no data cap.

Which DNS service were/are you using? Getflix has a free trial.

MoonGred

Wow that's weird, did you try different servers? I've been on one since before Xmas and it hasn't been taken down thankfully.

Yea, I tried everything (bar contacting their support). At first I was able to work around it by closing and opening the app a couple of times, I'd be able to watch one episode but would get the proxy error when loading the next one, but after a while that stopped working as well.
What actually would be good to know is whether or not they blacklist your account and block it when they notice you try to access a different area or whether they just look at the IP.

Yea, I tried everything (bar contacting their support). At first I was able to work around it by closing and opening the app a couple of times, I'd be able to watch one episode but would get the proxy error when loading the next one, but after a while that stopped working as well.
What actually would be good to know is whether or not they blacklist your account and block it when they notice you try to access a different area or whether they just look at the IP.

Should be that Netflix just ban the IP, we used to get a ton of the "please stop using a DNS" messages on the app but it's been fine for months now. Sucks you couldn't find a server that worked for you :(

MoonGred

I just want Peep Show back =(
The worst is that I keep getting Netflix emails saying that there's a new show I might like only for it to be tied to the US region like Bob's Burgers.

Quasar

Wow that's weird, did you try different servers? I've been on one since before Xmas and it hasn't been taken down thankfully.

Certainly for whilst netflixes region geolocks stopped getflix from working for a while, they have fixed that in recent weeks. They havent gotten all regions back online though. I know I still cant access netflix Japan.

Edit: I take that back, getflix finally has Japan working again so I can finally start watching Kuromakuro.

senahorse

Should be that Netflix just ban the IP, we used to get a ton of the "please stop using a DNS" messages on the app but it's been fine for months now. Sucks you couldn't find a server that worked for you :(

Yeah working fine here, have only been using UK and US (mainly US) recently though, I think the other countries are still boned.

Very true, I've used US 98% of the time with a little UK & Spain I think for specific movies. I hadn't even trawled through the JPN list yet which I really should do.

Any Aussie Uber drivers here? I was thinking of doing this for about 20 hours a week and was wondering...

1. Does the app tell you you passengers destination, or only where you pick them up from?

2. Is it very frowned upon to not pick up people if you dont want to drive to the suburb/area they want to go to (like because you dont want to drive into the city in the morning and deal with the heavy traffic)?

3. Is the pay per hour generally good?

Thanks

You have a Surface, right? Any idea if it will run acceptably on that?

Surface Book, dGPU.

The game... didn't boot lol. Known issue apparently, I'm going to set it to windowed mode and boot it again which will fix it according to official forums. Someone else said it ran acceptably although idk what size galaxy they had or what graphical settings.

Darren870

Any Aussie Uber drivers here? I was thinking of doing this for about 20 hours a week and was wondering...

1. Does the app tell you you passengers destination, or only where you pick them up from?

2. Is it very frowned upon to not pick up people if you dont want to drive to the suburb/area they want to go to (like because you dont want to drive into the city in the morning and deal with the heavy traffic)?

3. Is the pay per hour generally good?

Thanks

I don't drive for Uber, but have used it a few times.

1. You don't have to put in your destination when you request a pick up. Most people do though.

2. You can cancel if you don't want to go to that area. I had a guy do that the other night and he said he was cancelling because we wanted to finish up and wasn't going my way.

3. Probably not. I've spoken to drivers before and they say they can make $25-$30 per hour. I highly doubt they take into account wear and tear, dead time, gas, insurance etc. My last trip was $16, it was a 12 min trip, but took the guy a few mins to get to me. Then he has to drive around looking for another. I had one guy, 6 minute trip was $10. Not too bad!!..except it took him 15 mins to get to me and finally find me because the app said I was on a different road.

If you do busy nights you probably could get job after job. Just have to weigh your social life. It wouldn't be bad to do I guess if you drove a lot and were just going to pick people up to help with the fare.

Quasar

I've got a few friends who are really pumped for that game, didn't know it was such a big deal.

Its like the big strategy game for the year. Plus Paradox doing a space game is a pretty big thing. But then I know lots of big Paradox fans generally so we are all hyped.

Card Boy

Banned
I'm doing this as i got free express post envelopes but does anyone want a copy of Freedom Wars on the Vita? I got 2 copies. Let me know if they arrive to whoever gets them as i might have more for other AusGaffers. Just need postage addresses in a PM.

Rahk

Borderless Internet has been working great for me for the past couple months. I've mostly been using it for JP Netflix. They responded really quickly when I reported an issue with subtitles as well.

I got in when there was a free trial for the first 1000 users until June so not sure how much it costs though.

N0VAM0D

after years of waiting, nothing came.....

edit: shit stuff is happening now!

IT'S SO GOOD I CAN'T

I d not :(
Didn't know how to presale as when I looked the other day it didn't tell me.

Have an alarm set for Friday to buy some. Although listening to their recent live sets (well 2011.. I hope they've not gotten any worse..)

Did you end up getting them, Holy? If not, I noticed they released some new dates!

Yup! Melbourne show. GA is crazy expensive though... 150 dollars? Get outta here!

SO SPENNO, but it's going to be worth it, I hope!

I completely forgot about Uncharted 4! Gonna head down to the shops and grab it tomorrow. So excited. I haven't even finished DS3 yet though, agh.

Also, if anyone is in/around Newcastle this May, I just wrote up a gig guide for the month. Heaps of stuff is happening, so if you love live music/drinking copious amounts of alcohol, check it out!

Quasar

Is that any worse than burger flavoured twisties or whatever abomination the twisties people are trying to sell this week?

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Did you end up getting them, Holy? If not, I noticed they released some new dates!

Yep! Super excited. June whatecver it is can't come soon enough.

Edit:
It'll mean another tick on this! (also aware I need to change static x to to :()

ZQ9UkpI.jpg

I'm all for having lofty goals, but I think that hoping to see The Beatles play live when at least one was dead and buried (probably, I'm guessing) before you were born is a clear example of not setting realistic or attainable expectations. Either on yourself or the universe.

Rizzi

I'm all for having lofty goals, but I think that hoping to see The Beatles play live when at least one was dead and buried (probably, I'm guessing) before you were born is a clear example of not setting realistic or attainable expectations. Either on yourself or the universe.

Time travel.

I'm doing this as i got free express post envelopes but does anyone want a copy of Freedom Wars on the Vita? I got 2 copies. Let me know if they arrive to whoever gets them as i might have more for other AusGaffers. Just need postage addresses in a PM.

I'm keen!

Jintor

Music is hope

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom